Six: A Day Out
2.7k 21 118
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Content warning:

Spoiler

dysphoria, fighting, slurs (related to sexuality).

[collapse]

Also, spoiler warning: this chapter contains mild spoilers for the 2021 movie Godzilla vs. Kong.

 

“Hi, Josh,” I said, setting the tray down on the table and taking a seat.

Josh looked up at me and smiled. “Hi, Wilson, how was your morning?”

“Same old,” I shrugged. “Nothing much really happened, things have been quiet.” I paused, and then added, “Too quiet.”

“…You do realise that sentence is, one, an extreme cliché, and two, inviting trouble, right?” Josh asked.

I sighed. “Yeah, I know. But it’s been two weeks since we started hanging out at school, and Troy’s done nothing about it.”

He cocked his head to the side. “That we know of,” he said.

“Yeah, that we know of,” I conceded. “But I know him better than you do, and he’s really not the type to go for subtlety; I expect that, when he comes after us, it’s going to be something noticeable.”

Josh shrugged. “No use worrying about it now, right?”

“Right. Honestly, I hope this peace and quiet lasts for a little bit longer.” I glanced around. “People have only just stopped looking at us when we’re hanging out, and not a moment too soon; I was real tired of being treated like a three-headed monkey.”

“What’s with the analogy? It’s weird,” my friend said with a laugh.

“I dunno,” I replied. “My dad says it all the time, and I guess it rubbed off on me.”

“Ah, well.” He put some food in his mouth, chewed, and swallowed, and I started eating too.

It was nice, honestly, having a friend to talk to every now and then, like during lunch. It had been so long since I had a friend – a real friend, not simply an acquaintance – that I’d forgotten what it was like, but I was really enjoying it.

Speaking of which…

“You busy this Wednesday afternoon?” I asked. “The day after tomorrow.”

“Not really,” Josh replied. “Why?”

“Wanna go see a movie? There’s one coming out I’ve been really looking forward to, and usually the theatre is almost empty on Wednesdays,” I said.

His eyes widened a bit, but then he nodded. “Yeah, sure!” he said enthusiastically. “Which theatre?”

“The one at the mall,” I answered. “Where we met up last time.”

“There’s a theatre there?”

“There is,” I nodded. “It’s not that big, just four screens, that’s why it’s not well known.” I thought about it for a bit. “Well, that and the fact that it’s half an hour from here, there are closer ones. But I like that one.”

Josh smiled as he finished his food and stood up, and I did the same. “Well, let’s go there then. On Wednesday, you said?”

“Yeah, that’s right.”

“That sounds good,” he said. “I’ll have to check at home, but I don’t think there’ll be any trouble.”

“Great!” I smiled. “Then it’s a date.”

Josh froze as he was putting his tray in the rack. He turned to me, a weird expression on his face. “A date?” he asked.

I blinked, realising what I’d just said.

“Yeah, because we agreed to meet on Wednesday,” I answered. “So it’s a date we set. That’s what it means.”

He looked at me for a few moments, then slowly nodded. “Alright,” he said.

“Right,” I said, nodding back.

“Right,” he repeated.

There was an awkward moment of silence.

“Well, I better get back to my classroom, I have to study a bit,” I said. “See you tomorrow, Josh.”

“See ya, Wilson,” he replied.

I turned around and walked away; I’d made it almost all the way to the classroom before I realised I was blushing.

Seriously, why had I used the word date? What the hell.

-----

“Josh! Over here!” I called, waving to my friend; he looked at me, waved back, and walked over with a smile on his face.

“Hi, Wilson,” he said. “How’s things? Everything okay at home?”

“Yeah, everything’s fine,” I nodded, as we started walking towards the movie theatre. “Had to do some bargaining so that my mom would let me take the car, we only have the one when Dad’s at work and I needed to make sure she didn’t need it to get groceries or something like that.”

It hadn’t been that hard, really; Mom and Dad, like Chloe, had been really happy I’d finally made a friend, and they were doing everything they could to let me hang out with him. I realised I hadn’t told my parents who my friend was, though; they knew he was a boy, but the name had never come up in the conversations we’d had. I smiled mildly, thinking about how surprised they would be to learn that Josh Woods was the friend I’d been hanging out with.

“So what movie are we seeing?” Josh asked.

“This one,” I replied, pointing to a poster beside the theatre’s doors: on it two giant creatures were standing facing each other, towering above a cityscape enveloped with smoke.

Josh turned to me, surprise in his eyes. “Seriously?” he said. “You like this kind of movie?”

“I do,” I said, crossing my arms in front of my chest and giving him a look. “Got a problem with it?”

“No, it’s just I expected you to be more into, I dunno… Romance movies?”

My look turned into an almost-glare. “Excuse me!” I protested. “Just because…” I glanced around quickly, and saw that no one besides Josh was in earshot, so I continued, “…Just because I’m a girl, it doesn’t mean I like girly stuff. Well, I do like some girly stuff, but sappy romance movies? Eugh.” I made a face. “No thanks.”

“Okay, okay, there’s no need to be so defensive,” Josh said with a laugh. “It’s fine, you like what you like, it’s just… I don’t really see the appeal of a whole movie about a monkey and a lizard punching each other in the face, I guess?”

I huffed. “Kong isn’t a monkey, he’s an ape.”

“There’s a difference?”

“There is,” I nodded. “You don’t read Pratchett, do you?” When he shook his head I continued, “I’ll lend some books to you, then. And also, Godzilla isn’t a lizard.”

“What is he, then?” he asked.

I hesitated. “I… I’m not sure?” I said. “Some kind of ancient beast? A dinosaur, maybe? But definitely not a lizard.”

“Okay,” he nodded. “Well, if you say this is a good movie, I trust you.”

I frowned. “I hope it’s a good movie,” I said. “The quality with these is very hit and miss. You have great stuff like Godzilla, the 2014 one, or Shin Godzilla, or Skull Island, but also stinkers like Godzilla, the 1998 one.”

Josh blinked. “Wait, there are two movies titled Godzilla?”

I laughed. “There are several movies titled Godzilla,” I replied. “You’re going to have to learn this stuff if we’re going to be together.” I paused, then quickly added, “As friends.”

“I look forward to it,” he said with a smile.

I blushed slightly, but returned the smile. “Come on, let’s go get the tickets, and then we’ll get a tub of popcorn, this kind of movie calls for it.”

-----

“Well, that was fun,” I said, stretching my limbs as we walked outside the theatre, heading towards the exit.

Josh nodded. “Yeah, it really was,” he said. “Honestly I didn’t expect much from a monster movie, but it was actually good, I seriously enjoyed it.”

“Told you.”

He turned towards me and smirked. “No, you didn’t tell me, actually. You said that you hoped it was a good movie, but that it’s hit and miss.”

I smiled back. “Darn, I hoped you’d forgotten about that.”

“And pass on the chance to give you a good ribbing about it?” he said, punching me lightly in the shoulder. “Hardly.”

“You’re a jerk, Josh Woods,” I said, still smiling.

“That I am,” he nodded. “Just be thankful I reserve most of my jerkiness for people who actually deserve it, unlike you.”

I suddenly realised something. “You know, this movie is actually very much like our life.”

Josh tilted his head to the side and looked at me curiously. “How so?” he asked.

“Well, the two protagonists…” I held up a hand, seeing he was about to object, and continued, “Yes, in this kind of movie the giant monsters are the protagonists.”

He didn’t seem entirely convinced, but he conceded the point. “Alright,” he said. “Go on.”

“The two protagonists,” I repeated, “couldn’t stand each other at first, but then they grudgingly learned to respect each other, and teamed up against the bigger threat.”

“Oh, I see,” he said. “Kinda like you, me, and Troy, right?”

“Right,” I nodded. “We are Godzilla and Kong, and he’s Mechagodzilla.”

Josh put his hand to his chin, seemingly in thought. “Hmmm… But then, which one of us is Godzilla and which one is Kong?”

“You’re Kong, of course,” I replied.

“Wait, so I’m the monkey?”

“Ape,” I corrected him.

“Monkey, ape, whatever. Why do you get to be Godzilla?”

I smirked. “The atomic breath, of course.”

Josh blinked. “Excuse me?”

“You see, I like my guacamole with plenty of garlic and onion in it. You can’t come near me for two days after I’ve eaten some.”

He looked at me for a few moments, then burst out laughing. “Oh my god, Wilson, you’re the best,” he said, between bouts of laughter. “I’m so glad we became friends, everyday life was just so boring before.”

“The feeling is mutual,” I replied, laughing back; then something caught my attention. “Hold on a second.”

We were passing just outside a clothing store, making our way towards the mall’s parking lot, when I spotted something in the shop’s window.

“What is it?” he asked.

I pointed at the window: in it was a mannequin wearing a really nice dress – with a three-quarter sleeve, dark blue, and speckled with a white flower pattern. It looked like it was my size, too, and beside it a small card said, “Last one! 50% off! Only $24.99!”

“Ooh, that’s nice,” Josh said.

I looked at him. “Wait, you like dresses?”

“Of course,” he replied. “Just because I don’t wear them, doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate them… Especially when a really cute girl wears them.”

I held his gaze for a couple moments, then realised what he was getting at. “No,” I said.

“Why not?” he said.

“No, I can’t. I mean…” I frowned, and motioned at myself. “I don’t look like a girl at all,” I said, with a pang of sadness deep in the pit of my stomach. “I can’t just… walk in there and buy a dress.” I paused; I felt tears starting to gather in my eyes. “Besides, I would just look terrible in it. I mean…”

Josh glanced furtively around, to see if someone was near us, and lowered his voice. “Emily,” he said, placing a hand on my shoulder. “Please, don’t let dysphoria talk on your behalf. You’re a really cute girl, really; I’ve seen it back then at the clinic, and I can see it even now, even though you’re trying to hide it.” He paused, and then continued, “Hell, it’s a wonder no one at school has noticed.”

I sniffled a bit, but smiled at him, and placed a hand upon his, which was still on my shoulder. “Thanks, Josh,” I said. “Really.”

We looked at each other for a few seconds, then he asked: “Wanna try that dress on, then?”

I shook my head. “I just can’t,” I replied. “What if someone from school sees me?”

“Well, I’ll make sure no one sees you then,” he said. “We’ll pick the most secluded changing room, and I’ll stand guard outside. I’ll even ask the assistant to get the dress from the window, so you don’t have to. Alright?”

I hesitated for a few moments, but then nodded. “Alright,” I said.

“Okay.”

Josh grasped my hand, and all but dragged me into the store; there weren’t that many people around, in fact, only a few just aimlessly browsing through the aisles. He looked around for a few seconds, and then made a beeline for the changing rooms, which were thankfully deserted.

“Wait here,” he said, letting go of my hand and turning around, looking for a shop assistant. “Excuse me!” he said, striding away towards her when he spotted one.

In less than a minute he was back, holding the dress gingerly in his hands. “Here you go,” he said, as he ushered me into the changing room. “Take your time, I’ll be right here, making sure no one bothers you.”

“Thank you,” I said; I grabbed the dress, and pulled the curtain closed behind me.

It took only a couple minutes to shed my jeans-and-hoodie cocoon and don the dress: while I rarely wore girl’s clothes outside the house, I knew perfectly well how to put them on.

I looked at myself, reflected in the mirror; the dress fit nicely, snug against my hips and waist. It was a bit loose around my chest, but that was because I was wearing a sports bra – I was sure that, with a proper bra, I would fill the dress out very well.

“Whoa,” I whispered.

“How’s it fit?” Josh called from outside.

I smiled, and pulled the curtain open; Josh was standing with his back to the changing room, but turned around when he heard the noise.

“Look for yourself,” I said.

Josh looked. He looked at me, long and hard, his mouth falling open, his eyes widening, and he blinked several times, as if he couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

“Whoa,” he breathed out. “Just… Whoa.”

“Do you like it?” I said, striking a pose.

“Holy shit, Emily, you look…”

I tilted my head to the side, and smiled playfully. “Cute?”

“No,” he said, shaking his head. “Beautiful. You look stunning, Emily. Seriously.”

I felt a deep blush crawl its way up my face and reach the top of my ears, which started burning as if they were on fire. “Oh, you,” I said. “I bet you say this to all the girls you meet, you Casanova.”

“Only the ones I like,” he replied.

I froze, and looked at him.

What did he just say? That he liked me? He--

No, calm down, Emily. He probably meant it exactly like you did when you told him the same: not like-like, but like as a person.

That’s all it meant.

“Thank you,” I said. “Now let me get out of this dress, so we can pay for it and head home.”

“…Sure,” Josh said. He kept staring at me as I retreated back into the changing room, and pulled the curtain closed again.

Paying for the dress was a quick affair, though Josh insisted on paying half the price – “Since I was the one who dragged you in here, and as a thank you for today.” I protested a bit, but not too much, and in the end allowed him to.

As we left the clothing store, however, we ran into trouble: in fact, we ran right into Troy McPearson, who was walking in front of the shop right at that moment, flanked by four of his cronies.

Troy looked at us in surprise: he evidently hadn’t expected to see us. But then he smirked.

“Well well well, what do we have here?” he said, in a mocking tone. “If it isn’t Woods and Wilson! What a surprise! What, you two faggots out on a date?”

I bristled at the insult, but glared at him. “Fuck off, McPearson,” I said. “We’re not dating, we’re just hanging out. Not that it’s any business of yours, of course.”

“Oh, it’s a shame, you two look cute together. Tell me, which one of you is the man and which one is the woman?”

His voice was still mocking; I really wanted to just spring forward and punch him in that stupid mouth of his, but I held myself back: it was better not to start any trouble if we could help it.

“You heard Wilson,” Josh said. “Fuck off. We were having a good time until you jerks showed up.”

“Well, isn’t that nice,” Troy said. “What did I tell you about hanging out with Woods, Wilson?”

“And I told you you didn’t have any say in who I am friends with. Remember that?”

Troy ignored my question; instead, he darted forward, lightning quick, and snatched the paper bag I was holding out of my hand.

“What’s this?” he said.

“Hey! Give it back!” I shouted.

“In a moment, I just wanna see what’s in here,” he replied; he pulled the dress out of the bag and unfolded it in front of himself, holding it up and looking at it critically, while letting the bag drop to the floor. “Well, this is nice, I have to say.” He turned his gaze to me. “What, you a crossdresser too, besides being a fag?”

“I’m not,” I said. “That’s…” I glanced sideways at Josh. “It’s a present.”

“A present, eh?” McPearson said. “Well then, it would be a shame if someone were to accidentally rip it, wouldn’t it?”

He grasped the sleeves of the dress and made as if to pull it apart… but was knocked backwards as Josh quickly sprung forward, shoulder-checking him and sending him sprawling to the floor and making him lose hold of the dress, which floated gently down to the ground; I moved forward and grabbed it, quickly stuffing it back into the bag and setting it aside.

“Boss!” one of Troy’s cronies said, moving quickly to help him back to his feet.

As soon as he was standing again, McPearson roughly pushed his comrade away, and glared at Josh. “Why, you miserable little…” he growled.

“Ya wanna go?” Josh said, squaring up. “Let’s fucking go!”

“No!” I said, moving between the two of them. “Let’s not fucking go, at all.”

They both looked at me in surprise. “Wilson…” Josh said.

I ignored him for the moment, and levelled my gaze at McPearson. “Wanna fight? We can fight if you want to, and we’ll teach you a lesson. But, are you really sure about this?”

Troy’s eyes narrowed. “What do you mean?”

“I mean that while you may have your daddy to cover your ass every time you start shit at school… We’re not at school now,” I said. “And I don’t know how you’ll be able to explain away the fact that you started this. It’s all on camera.”

I jerked my thumb towards a nearby security camera; I had no idea if it was even recording, or if we were in a blind spot, but right at that moment it didn’t really matter, as the threat had its intended effect: Troy looked at the camera and cursed.

“That’s right,” I said, moving to stand beside Josh. “So ya better run off now, before security gets here.”

McPearson pointed at me and Josh. “This isn’t over,” he said. “Let’s go.”

He turned around and walked away, followed by his partners in crime; as I watched him go, I let out the breath I hadn’t realised I was holding.

“Well, that was a bad way to end the day,” Josh said from beside me.

I turned to him and shrugged. “Could’ve been worse,” I said. “We could’ve gotten in a fight.”

“You’re right. Thankfully you thought to mention the cameras and scared them away.” He smiled. “You’re really smart, besides being cute.”

“Oh, you,” I said, punching him in the arm. “Always the flatterer.”

“It’s true,” he shrugged.

I smiled. “Come on, this whole thing has made me thirsty, let’s grab something to drink from the food court before heading home.”

 

Announcement
Well! That was an unpleasant meeting. But I'm glad Emily and Josh managed to get out of it without having to fight.

If you enjoy my work, this is your regular reminder that I have a Patreon, where you can find advance chapters of every story I publish; Performative Masculinity is currently up to chapter nine over there, even for the lowest tier. Plus, there are more perks for the higher tiers!

Otherwise, you can follow me on Twitter for an enhanced shitposting experience.

Thank you for your attention, and until next time.

118