[Vol. 1] Chapter-1: The Transfer Student (2)
840 17 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I was about to get up from my seat, suddenly, an arm fell on my shoulder, quite roughly. I jolted as it took me by surprise, and as I looked behind my back, I saw a boy with light brown hair which was styled in a delinquent way or whatever they say, who stood behind me with his arms on my shoulder.

“Ooh, the new transfer student huh? What a pretty face you have. Just like the rats in my basement.”

I don’t know if I should take it as a compliment or a roast, but one thing I knew for sure, that I didn’t like the way he was talking. Everyone in the classroom who were chit-chatting with their friends sank into pin-drop silence. The surroundings got awfully quiet within a few seconds or so. But I couldn’t just stay there quietly, so I replied to his insolent comment-

“So, does that mean you live in a basement?”

Everyone in the classroom was shocked to hear me say this. Wasn’t it funny enough? Or was it lame? I guess my humor isn’t funny at all.

“Did you just hear what he said to Akio??”

“Ya, he is the new guy in our class, so he doesn’t know about this guy…”

“I feel bad for him…”

I could hear the boys and girls mumbling about me. His name was Akio or something as they mentioned. I was looking at my surroundings trying to hear some more from my classmates about this guy, but little did I notice that he furiously blew his fist right on my stomach. That punch made me slide back a few meters and fall on the floor on my knees. His attack had caught me by surprise, and on top of that, I had let my guard down.

“Can you please say that again? I didn’t hear you properly…”

He was stepping towards me as I kept on lying on the floor on my knees. Slowly reverting my eyes and laying my gaze upon Aya, I saw that she was terrified to see me like this. She might be thinking about what I have gotten myself into, but no need to worry, as I’m not the type of person to back down after getting  jabbed on my stomach. I turned my gaze towards this Akio guy and got up and stood there stretching my arms and neck, getting ready for the wild showdown. Well, I don’t know if it’s gonna be wild or not.

“I asked if you live in a frickin basement. Are those ears of yours just for decoration or are they just holes in your head??”

Oh no, I said something rude. Damnit, it’s gonna ruin my character now, but still, I was furious at him. I was just asking that as a joke, which turned out to be lame, but he just straight up punched me on my stomach and that made me lose my temper and blast out at him. My comment also seemed to cause the other students to sink further into shock, while this Akio guy’s face glowed boiling red with anger and lips curled inwards.

“You ba***rd!!!”

And here he goes, dashing right towards me after getting provoked by my words. I didn’t show any reaction and just stood there fearlessly. He had his fist up a little behind his body and aimed towards me, and as he was just a few meters away, he swung his fist towards me. Did you think I was just gonna stand there doing nothing?
I simply just diverted his trajectory of the punch using my arm and then punched his gut using my other hand. I was angry at him, so I didn’t hold back and used a little more than 30% of my power. But I was still grieving that it would be nothing to him, it wouldn’t lay a scratch on his body, but how wrong I was…
As I landed my punch on him, he flew back and out of the classroom and crashed hard against the wall. He was twitching with pain while mumbling out curses at me.

“D-d-damn you…. You ba***rd…. You’ll definitely pay for it later!!!”

He got up while limping steadily and went away from my sight. I was utterly shocked. As I’ve said, I just used a little more than 30% of my power, literally! Was he so weak that he flew with just a random punch? Ah damnit, what would I do if he told the teacher about it? Well, I don’t think he would, since he was the one who started it, and mine was just self defense.

“Kyaaaaaaa~ soooo cooooool!!!!”

I flinched at the sudden shrilling voice of the girls that rumbled my ears. Why do girls have such high-pitched tones? It’s something I find very uncomfortable. I couldn’t do anything but give a troubled laugh at them while scratching the back of my head and as I looked at Aya, she was sitting there gazing at me with her surprised face. Before I knew it, the lunch time was already over and the teacher of the next period came.

*       *       * (Shifting of POV)

“RRRIIIIIIIINNNNNNGNGGGGGG”

The school bell rang. Classes were now over and everyone started heading home.

I hurriedly packed up my bag and started heading to my locker at a fast pace. It had become a usual thing. I would always be in a hurry because of those bullying girls. If they catch me before I was able to escape, I would return home with lots of bruises and cuts. But, at the time I left the class, those three were already not present inside the classroom. So I took it as a perfect opportunity to escape from their wrath.

After reaching the locker room, I opened my locker swiftly and put my hands inside to get my shoes when-

“Oww!!”

A small cry emanated from my mouth without my consent as something stung me. The pain was so intense that it felt as if I was stung by a colony of red ants. When I looked inside wondering what might’ve stung me, I saw many board pins that were stuffed inside my shoes, in fact so many that they started flowing out of the locker.

“Here's a small gift from us hehe.”

A voice hollered from my back, and I immediately recognized it as I jolted out in panic. As I slowly peeked back, I saw Chitose, Kaguya and Akane who stood there with their bags, leaning against the wall, giving out an evil laugh and then headed home. I was somewhat relieved that they didn’t torture me that much today, but at the same time really fed up with all of this.

Drops of blood started oozing out from my fingers. Luckily, I had a few bandages so I applied it around my wounded fingers. Being helpless, I quietly removed the nails, and headed back home.

 

I think it's better if I die.....

I was thinking to myself as I was on my way home. I was bullied like this every single day, so who would want to live such a life getting tormented to the extreme limits every day? I truly didn’t want to live anymore. I just wanted to take my life. I’ve had enough of it.

I took my usual route home, which passes by a railway station. Before I could cross the level crossing, the buzzer rang and the gates closed indicating an incoming train. Suddenly, a suicidal thought crossed my mind. That’s right, I wanted to get in front of the incoming train and get run over.

I hope in my next life, I am born in a world free of bullies...a world full of love, freedom and happiness...

I slowly moved towards the tracks, hesitatingly, and stood in the middle with my eyes closed. I could feel the train coming closer every second as I could hear the whistling of the train becoming louder and louder.

Let's end it here….Goodbye, cruel world….

*       *       * (Shifting of POV)

I was running down the hallway looking for Aya after searching our classroom only to find it empty. I was too late. The next idea I had was to check the locker, and I went towards it, but still couldn’t find her.

Crap, I stayed too long in the teacher’s office….

Just after the class ended, our homeroom teacher came to call me to his office. He gave me the ID since it was my first day in school, and I couldn’t notice her leaving the classroom.
I swiftly ran out of the school building and stood at the main gate thinking which direction to go since I didn’t know where her house was, so I used full energy and sprinted in a random direction hoping to find her. After a few minutes of constant, full-power sprinting, a railway crossing appeared in sight, only to be shocked by what I saw as I slowed down a little to focus more on the sight.

I saw a girl standing in the middle of the tracks and an incoming train honking and zooming towards her with lightning speed. As I ran closer and closer, I saw that she was Aya! What had crossed her mind? Why was she standing in the middle of the tracks when a high-speed train was incoming? At this point I could only guess that she had a suicidal mind. She wanted to get run over by the train and die right there. But, would I just sit back and let it happen? Not on my watch!

This time, I used every little ounce of energy that I had left in me to sprint with all might with insane speed towards her. I forgot everything temporarily, or more specifically, I stopped all my thought processes and only focused on sprinting. The train didn’t seem to be stopping or even if it did stop, it would be too late and she would already get run over. I was zooming and as I kept on nearing and nearing, the train almost reached her, but was still several meters away.
I calculated the speed at which the train was arriving and my speed at which I was running, and estimated that I might not make it. I had to run faster if I had to save her. Without any other thought, I ran faster, even faster than before. It was the first time I ran this fast, so I was pretty sure I had surpassed my previous limit of running speed. But wait, it’s not the time to talk about such things. I had to save Aya, no matter what.

I sprinted towards her with insane speed and somehow managed to reach in time. As she was about to get hit by the train, I grabbed her by her stomach, and pulled back with all might, missing the train by inches.
She jolted out in shock as getting grabbed suddenly, and looked at me with complete surprise.

“....Kurogane-kun....?”

“Are you insane?!”

I kind of yelled at her, for her stupidity, while panting heavily.

“*pant* *pant* Are you trying to kill yourself? You almost got run over!”

She started crying softly. I flinched as I thought I might have frightened her, but then, out of nowhere, she brought me into a tight embrace and hugged me. I jolted again in surprise as to what just happened, with my face getting red. Not because of anger, but because of embarrassment. Not knowing what to do, I hugged her back and patted on her head, as the whiff of her hair's sweet, fragrant aroma infiltrated my nose.

There was complete silence, as if every single person vanished from Earth and only both of us remained, but only the thumping sound of the train tracks were echoing even after the train left. But really, there was no one else around at that time to save her, and she really would've lost her life if it wasn't for me using all my energy into sprinting and saving her. I have drained almost all of my energy because of her, but also, thanks to her, I was able to surpass my limit of running speed.

After a minute or two, she finally calmed down and spoke-

“....How did you get here?”

I could feel the tone of the words emanating a sense of relief while her arms were still clasped around my chest tightly. But I had to say everything that happened before I reached here, and she kept on listening while still clinging to me.
Then I slowly let go of her, and asked in a worrying tone-

“By the way, what’s happening? Why were you just about to give up on your life?”

She started crying again, with sorrowful sobbing.

“My classmates…. *sob* they….they always bully me…. *sob* They torture me….every single day…*sob*”

Every day???

So she was getting bullied not often, not seldom, but every single day? How has she been living her life?? As I took a brief look at her, I noticed her fingers covered with bandages.

“What has happened to your fingers Tsukuyomi-chan?”

She took a few minutes to explain stutteringly what had happened with her in the locker room, and I was utterly shocked. The situation was much worse than what I had thought. She was getting bullied this bad every single day, and I was really aggrieved at the students. What the hell was wrong with them? Why did they make her live through hell?? What did she do to make her life such a miserable one??? The sight of extreme anger was visible on my face while I was lost in my own thoughts. I only snapped back once I heard Aya calling me.

“Kurogane-kun? What happened?”

“Oh, No. It’s nothing.”

I took some time to think, but then asked her-

“Um...Tsukuyomi-chan, do your parents know about what has been happening with you in school?”

She was kind of hesitating to say, but blurted out everything-

“My....dad does know about it...but says that it was my problem….so I had to take care of it myself. My mother is rarely home….because of business, and I never get the chance….to talk to her….”

Her family also?!?!??

Her family also bullied her? What?? But I guess I can understand, because I kind of encountered the same thing in my past.
Wait, does she have any siblings?

“You might have siblings, or not?”
Suddenly, a depressing look appeared on her face, as if I asked something I shouldn’t have. But I only asked about her siblings, so what was there to get this frightened about?

“I….have a brother, an older brother…. He is the same… He would physically torment me to relieve his stress…. And he did this almost every day. It’s as if…. As if I’m just a play thing...who could be used to vent out all their frustrations….”

I didn’t move an inch as I froze after hearing such a shocking thing.

Are you kidding me?? Even her own brother??? Is there even a single person in this world who doesn’t treat her like garbage??

“But what else can I do…. He isn’t blood-related at all….”

Wait, what does she mean by not blood-related?

But before I could ask her what she meant, she burst out in tears.

"*sob* I’m always bullied, I don't know why. Maybe because I am weak, or because everyone hates me. That's why I wanted to di-"

“Don't think like that!”
I snapped at her. I kind of had the hunch that she would be saying such things, and that’s why I snapped and continued-

“Don't tell me this is why you wanted to die. Besides, they don't have the right to decide who lives or dies. You have your own life right?”

Her sobbing intensified, and now she was lamenting with deep sorrow. Tears welled from deep inside her eyes and coursed down her cheeks as she covered her face with her palm.

“Then….*sob*....then what am I……*sob*....what am I supposed to do? *sob* I don’t want to live…..such a life...*sob*”

“....”

I stood in complete silence as I could understand how much pain she was feeling. This is all messed up. She had been through living hell until now. In school, she is bullied by her classmates every day, and at home, her mother is rarely in the house and her father doesn't even care about his daughter. Not to mention about her brother, who tortures her when he should be helping Aya, his little sister to overcome the bullying incidents. Blood related or not, she is still his sister right?

Oh god, this is it. I can’t stay back anymore. I can’t watch her getting bullied like this any longer. I’m sorry, but I just can’t. There’s no one to help her or stay by her side, so what? I will be by her side, I will protect her.
I held her hand and acknowledged-

“You said that everyone hates you. But I don't. So don't worry anymore. There might not be anyone to stay by your side, so what? I will be with you. I will be by your side, protecting you. And you might not know, but I am a martial artist who even practices swordsmanship, the JeonBu Kamihame sword style!”

Now, wait, hold on, I’m not flaunting okay? Even though it seemed like I was, but trust me, I wasn’t. Lol. (Also I’m not good at cracking jokes, so sorry.)
I actually am a professional martial artist. I mean, not affiliated or anything, but pretty skilled at it. I also practice JeonBu Kamihame sword art technique, which I had been learning since my childhood.

A broad smile was visible on her face as if all of her worries faded away.

“Thank you! Thank you so much!”

She cried out in happiness and again clasped her arms around me, this time around my neck as she snuggled her face on my chest. I started blushing slightly as her hug had caught me by surprise, and I wasn't able to move. Maybe this would be a perfect opportunity to ask her, so I slowly pushed her away a little and asked while still holding her shoulders-

“So, wanna be friends?”

Her eyes gave out a cheerful glow which looked like there was an asterism of stars inside them. It was the first time I saw her being this happy. Otherwise, she used to be all gloomy with a depressed look and dead face. 

“Yes! I'd love to!”

We both smiled at each other, and judging from her face, it seemed like her worries about those bullying students that were pressuring her mind were starting to fade away, which was a good thing. At least, I could help her this much for now, and that made me happy.

Our smile soon got interrupted by a beam of sunlight that fell right on my eyes, and I saw the sun at the horizon. It was like a crisp circle hanging in the flaming red sky along with wispy red clouds, and the sunshine kept on fading away as it was about to hide behind the houses and buildings. I didn’t know so much time had passed since the classes got over, but anyways, it was about time for sunset, and we were running late.

“Whooh, The sun is about to set. Let's go, I will drop you at your home.”

I acknowledged while she agreed to me by nodding cheerfully and we both began to start walking towards our home together.


We were on our way walking through the deserted road. It had been a few weeks since I moved to Tokyo, but was it this quiet every day in the evening? Since I worked part-time at a restaurant nearby, I arrive home at night around 8 P.M and didn’t know what it was like in the evening. But whatever the reason might be, I was enjoying this satisfying silence. It gave me peace of mind. This pleasant silence became more enjoyable as a gust of wind blew across the road, brushing over Aya and my faces.

But soon, this silence broke off when Aya asked me-

“So why did you transfer to this school?”

It took me some time to answer. In the meantime I was thinking about what to say, and told a white lie-

“My dad's workplace changed. Previously we were in Hokkaido, but now we have transferred to Tokyo.”

I was not comfortable telling her my actual story about me transferring to this school, as it might either make her feel depressed, or make her hate me after managing to become her friend. Judging from her personality, making her hate me would be rare, but it would surely make her depressed. I certainly didn’t want that to happen. I certainly didn’t want her to experience that feeling again, and will never let her.

“Oh, I see... S-so do you get transferred often?”

I could feel what she was trying to say to me. Behind those words she said, I could feel a slight sense of gloominess. Crap, was I making her feel depressed again? Seemed like it. I already promised myself to not make her feel depressed ever again, but now I was already going to. I can’t make her sad again, after somehow being successful in making her content, and I continued my white lie- 

“Not really, but we did get transferred from Nara to Hokkaido a few years ago. And now, he got transferred again, and hence, we came here. He acknowledged to me and my mom that further transfer is highly unlikely and assured us that we would be staying here for a long time, so no need to worry about us getting apart!”

I said these words with a beaming smile. Oh god, I was making this more complicated as I kept on lying and lying. But I couldn’t help it. In order to not make her feel downhearted, I had to lie.

She looked at me without uttering anything, but I could still tell she was enlightened to hear that because her face showed it all. Her eyes, lips, and spirit all at once smiled at me. A smile is so universal that even newborns know it by heart.
I could even say that she was starting to redden a little, as her cheeks were turning red. Whatever I said to her, I didn’t mean it that way. She might’ve misunderstood what I said and a misunderstanding would take place. Damnit. I had to make sure that she wouldn’t misunderstand.

“W-wait, Tsukiyomi-chan…don't misunderstand okay? I didn’t mean it any other way…. I just said that we can be friends for a long time…”

A cute, minuscule laughter emanated from her mouth. It was the first time I ever heard her laughing. Her voice was so soft, and on top of that, this cute, angelic laughter. She really was a goddess, huh.

“Of course, I thought as a friend. Or what did you think?”

She gave a mischievous smile at me. Wow, who knew that she had such a side of her. I guess she already had this side, but because of harsh bullying, she developed depression which caused such a side of her to never show to others. Poor Aya…
Even though she was giving a mischievous smile, it was a cute one nonetheless, in fact so cute that I couldn’t help but start to blush slowly, and scratched my cheek while giving out troubled laughter.  

“By the way, we can use our first names, right? Since we are already friends….”
Aya asked me with a slightly shy tone. It took me some time to reply to her, as I was kind of blushing faintly.

“Okay, sure! Aya-san”

“Oh, and also drop the honorifics….”

I flinched and gave a troubled expression at her, who looked at me with a shy look. I was kind of hesitating, but looking at her face, I couldn’t help but agree with her.

“O-okay…. Aya…”

“That’s what I’m talking about, Hisashi!”
She gave a beaming smile at me. Wow, so marvellous and cute. I was stuck with my face gazing at her cuteness that gave a pleasant feeling.

At that moment when we were having a nice conversation, we heard a voice which came from our side, from the alleyway-

“Well well, we meet again, huh. What are you two love birds doing here?”

A Delinquent group of 3 people who were hanging around the alleyway approached us and surprisingly, I could recognize one of them.

18