Apartment Dragon
187 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Between the Human World and the Spirit World, lies a Gate. Only gifted Humans accompanied by their Spirit can walk through it.

 

Ten years ago, I departed from the Sakurai Family. My motive was personal.

Regretfully, I couldn’t reach my Objective. It was… to tall and out of my grasp. 

 

Humble as they always were, the Sakurai Family will open their Doors for me anytime.

 

From the Gate residing within the Lake, I’ve reached Tokyo. A marvelous City, housing million of People, gifted and normal.
During my last moments before departing, the Mother of the Young Lady spoke of a possibility. One that had a small chance of happening. The whole Family could move to another Home. 

 

Regardless, I will visit the same Apartment I have rested in.

 

Oh! Is that the Young Lady? Reading a book… Her Balcony window is open. I will get closer and attempt a wave.


Flying close to her Balcony, a shadow traces across the Carpet. The Young Lady look briefly outside and jumps on to her feet, running the other way.... Doesn’t she… recognize me… 

 

The Young Lady returns with her Mother, pointing directly at me. The Mother signals for me to get closer. Their wish is my command.

Closing in on the Balcony, my heart starts beating faster and faster.
Mother - Drago…it’s really… you? 

- Y-Yes… It’s me.
Young Lady - I told you it was him! I’d never forget him!

Mother - My Goodness… Come in, I’ll make you something to eat. | Mhm… Food.

 

My feet touch the familiar concrete of the Balcony, the smell of the Room rushes through my nose, bringing back memories.
Young Lady - Careful with your Tail, please.
- I’ll be careful. Promised.

First step into the Ro… This drowning feeling… Apparition...

Instinctively, I start growling. Staring at the Bed.

Mother - Drago?
- The Bed… Underneath it… | She pulls her Daughter close as she spots the dark matter slowly peeking from under the Bed.

 

- Come out!
It quickly ducks back under. Let’s play by your Rules then…!


Jumping at the Bed, I reach my claws for the Apparition but to no avail. 

 

I grip the Bed by its ends and push it aside, jumping onto the dark matter, I sink my teeth in. Biting the area underneath the eyes, the life from it vanishes… slowly it disintegrates.

 

Mother - Miyu… Since when was that thing there? | The Miss is shocked, terrified to her core.
Miyu - I-I don’t know…! I just had headaches for a while! | The first form of the Apparitions sickening existence. It slowly eats at its victim, sometimes driving them into insanity.

 

- It’s over, now. Please calm down. | Slowly I push the Bed back into place.
As I turn around, the Mother comforts Miyu. 

 

I’m ashamed to my existence… I’d never imagined seeing this on day one of my return. 

 

- I’m sorry for that. I should’ve returned much sooner.
Mother - It’s fine Drago, don’t beat your own scales for it. Want some food?
- Yes! Yes! Please!

Mother - Miyu, look at Drago.

The Miss gazes at me, her anxieties vanish as she bursts into powerful laughter.
Miyu - He’s wagging happily!
Mother - Drago, sit. | My Backside obeys her without my action.
Miyu - Drago, can I see your Tail?
- My Tail? Here.

 

Thankfully I’m a Japanese Dragon, my Body is quite elastic.
Miyu - Hmm~! Mama, it’s still super fluffy!
Mother - Really?! Let me see!
Having both of them caress my Tail is… awkward. But it makes them happy, so it’s more than enough for me.


The Mother lets go of it.
Mother - Drago, can you check the rest of the Home.
- Right away, Ma’am. | Making sure I won’t hurt the Young Miss, I make my first tour around the Apartment.

 

Kitchen is clear. Living Room, Bath, the other Bedroom all are clear. 

 

Let’s return to the Misses.

 

Mother - What did you find?
- Nothing. It’s worrisome how the Apparition target Miyu’s Room.
Miyu - It has to do with my Gift, right?
- It’s hard to tell Miss. You also have high affinity with Spirits, taming them is also a action you could take.

 

Mother - Drago~... are you saying that stuff again? You know she won’t replace you.
- O-Obviously I know that.
Miyu - Mama, you know whe means something else, right? | The Mother is lost.
Mother - You can tame other Spirits, I know. But a gifted child can only have one Spirit. 

 

- Miss, please forgive me for correcting you. I’m a Family Spirit, I serve everyone in this Home.
Mother - Ah, Drago~. Stop with the honorifics, I’m an old Lady. Just call me Akano.
- As you wish, Akano.
Miyu - Then I want you to call me Miyu as well!

- Of course. | I bow at both of them.


If I remember correctly… Akano’s Husband took her surname. Thankfully it is the Mother that also has the gift. The Husband on the other hand… not at all.

 

The Front Door unlocks, the Misses rush to it happily.
Miyu - Welcome home, Papa!
Akano - Welcome back, Dear.
Husband - Thanks, Girls. 

 

What’s that shadow behind him… This suffocating feeling.

 

There! It peaked just now!

Akano grips Miyu, slowly pulling her back. The Husband walks forwards, he got no clue that he’s a carrier of a lethal threat to his Family.

 

- Tell him to stay back!

 

Miyu - Papa, stay there!
Husband - Eh?
The Apparition starts spreading around the floor of the Apartment, I’m waiting on the Miss’ Call. If not, I’ll intervine myself.

 

Akano - Drago! 

 

I shoot at the Apparition, sinking my teeth into its existence. My Claws start ripping it apart. 


As we fight, I smash its head into the wall. A loud thunk breaks the Husband’s calm mood.
Husband - What was that?
Akano - Stay there, Dear. Don’t move!

Miyu - Stand still, Papa! 

 

My Body’s too long for this narrow hallway. This thing can win if I’m not careful.

 

Miyu - Drago! Kill it!


Just die already!
I grip the area around its eyes and bite it, my claws continue tearing its existence to shreds.

Akano - Drago! Hurry!

 

- Your existence is meaningless. Die!

Final chance, as we both struggle to repel the other, I bite his entire face and put all my strength into it.

The Apparition starts to panic, trying to get a grip on me. Futile… just like your existence!

 

The dark matter slowly splits into particle sized pieces, slowly flying into nothingness.

Miyu - Drago! Are you alright?!

- Yes, Miss. I’m fine.
Regaining my breath, I move towards the Husband.


Akano - Drago don’t! He’s my Husband!

Husband - Are you two talking to a spirit?!

Akano - Stay quiet!

 

That’s the only Apparition that stuck to him.
- It’s safe now. | The Misses rush to hug him. 

 

Husband - What happened? Did I bring one of those things home?
Miyu - You did! It latched onto you!
Atleast he’s terrified now… Besides barely knowing the threats to his Family, he knows nothing else about Spirits or Apparitions.

 

Akano - Is there a way for him to see these things, Drago?
- There is. But it requires a lot of trust.
Miyu - By who?
- Me to him and vice versa.

The Misses are shocked, sharing looks between me and him.

Husband - Is he right here? | The Ladies nod at him.
Carefully the Husband reaches his hand out to me.
Miyu - Drago, please don’t bite him.
- I won’t promised.

 

I see the Husband gulp, fear has no place here.

 

His hand briefly touches my white scales, his hand jumps back as it registers my cold.

 

Husband - I touched… him…!

Akano - Haru, do you want to see him? | That’s his name… Completely forgot it.
Haru - I do! Do you know how?
Miyu - He said you two need mutual trust.
Haru - I can’t see him…
Akano - There is a way. Drago, a temporary solution?

- Sorry to say, Akano. We need to wait some time, I need special ingredients for that. 

 

Miyu brightens up like a Firework, happily jumping around.
Miyu - Papa! There is! We just need to wait!

Haru - Fantastic! For what exactly?
Akano - He needs special ingredients. It’s a paste right, Drago?
- Correct, Miss. The needed items need to rest a while before I can turn them into the paste.
Miyu - Drago, you’re the best! 

 

- Egf! Miyu…! Don’t hug me...like that… Please..~...! I can’t… breath…~!

Akano - Miyu, be careful with him, please.
Miyu let’s go of me, my body falls onto the ground. My breath is speeding up.

 

Akano - I’ll start making Dinner. Though… I could use some help.
Miyu - Yes! Here!
Akano - Come in then!
The Husband smiles warmly as the Misses dash to the Kitchen. 

 

Perhaps… he isn’t the person I hold him for.

 

Haru sits down at the Kitchen Table, awaiting the Meal. I lay down infront of Living room Balcony, Miyu happily walks to me. Something’s behind her back. She kneels in front of me, her hands still behind her back.

 

Miyu - Drago, if you guess the right hand. You’ll get a treat. | Oh! Treat!
- Uhm… | My Tail wags happily, its out of my control.

Miyu - To be honest, there’s a treat in both. One is just bigger than the other.
- Then… the right one.

Her hand softly places the price in front of me. A chicken leg?!

Miyu -Ahahaha! Mama! Look at his Tail!

Akano - My Goodness… It sounds like his beating nails.

- Can I eat it?
Miyu - That’s why it’s here, dummy.
Woah! What a treat!
- Thank you, Miyu!
Miyu - Eat up.

 

I hold it with my claws and start savouring this offering.

 

Haru’s amazed. The raw chicken leg slowly disappears from the floor in front of him.

 

Haru - It’s… amazing… I’m really jealous that I can’t see him. But as long as you two are happy with him. He can stay as long as he wants.

Akano - Cough Pardon, but you don’t decide that.
Haru - Ehehe… Yes, Honey. I’m sorry. | Hmm… 

 

- Akano, do you own this Apartment?
Akano - Yep! My Husband sometimes things he does. | Akano shoots Haru a angered look. Haru grins nervously.

 

The chicken was good… I’ll take nap for now…

Tap Tap… Tap… Boop! 

 

Huh?! What… Oh… Miyu.
Miyu - Drago, here. Eat up. | Miyu points at a large bowl of soup, with two more chicken legs in it. 

 

I look at the Table, Haru, Akano and Miyu happily take portions and pray.

 

Miyu’s brown hair hasn’t changed, her eyes still that calming brown tone. Her Mother, Akano, hasn’t changed either, still retaining her mighty black hair and light brown eyes. Haru is in the same happy case as his family, not one change is visible. Brown hair and eyes, just like his Daughter.

 

Akano - Drago, eat up. I made that for you. Ah! The chicken is a little spicy, sorry about that.
- Please don’t be. I’ll eat them anyway.
Miyu - Good boy, Drago.

So long since I heard that… My Dragon Spirit ears are flapping with excitement!

That was my first warm meal in the past 10 years and it was with the People I care about the most. Wonderful.
Miyu - Drago! Come here. | The Miss calls me in to her Room.

- Yes?
Miyu - Can you sleep on the Floor here? I can give you a blanket to sleep on.
- That’s generous but I have to decline.
Miyu - So it’s a yes?
- It is. I’ll just go check on your Parents.
Miyu - Okay~!

 

Through the dark Apartment I make it to their Room, the Door is sightly open.
- Akano, can I come in?
Akano - Drago? What is it? | I step in with one foot.
- Is everything alright?
Akano - It sure is. We’re just watching TV. Thanks for checking on us. Please go sleep now, you had a long journey.
- I will. Good night, Akano.

Akano - Good night, Drago.
Haru - Good night, D-Drago.
- Good night, Haru. | Closing the Door, I hear Akano begin talking to Haru, perhaps explaining something?

 

Back in Miyu’s Room. I close the Door and lay down on the floor opposite of her Bed.
Miyu - Drago?
- Yes, Miyu?
Miyu - Where did you sleep all this time?
- In trees, on Roofs and the sorts.
Miyu - All that trouble is now over, you can rest comfortably now~!
- I can indeed. It’s all thanks to you two mainly.
Miyu - I’m glad to hear it. 

Miyu - Good night, Drago.
- Sleep well, Miyu. 

3