=== Chapter 2 [Feather]
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=== Chapter 2 [Feather]

 

[So where are we going again? The camp you said?]

 

We have been travelling for a while, through the endless desert. I don't think it even has a name, mainly because there is almost nothing here, apart from one thing. Usually in this game, when players build large cities, the monsters move to somewhere else. This is why in a place with nothing, like this one, there is a good chance to find monsters. This is why, in place no one visits, people build houses and camps so they can hunt in peace.

 

[There should be an encampment around here, hold on.]

 

I take out a map, which is created by players, like everything in this world. Because of that, it is kinda hard to read. Not only that, this endless sand doesn't really tell you where you are on the map, there are no tall, visible landmarks. Disappointing as it is, it’s not something I am worried about—we will get to somewhere eventually.

 

[Oh right, if I read this correctly, there should be some ruins to the north.

Once we get there, we should find out where exactly we are. Hold tight.]

 

I stepped on the gas, even if this machine doesn't actually use gas or any fuel. It basically requires just repairs, like everything in this world. Every building or item, other than equipment I guess, will deteriorate over time. You are required to repair it, or it will be destroyed. Luckily for me, this bike just needs metal, and you can find it anywhere basically.

 

[Right, I do get quite uneasy from this silence so excuse my question, Wolf.

Would you care to tell me how long have you been playing this game?

For myself, I just started recently. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it...]

 

How long it was anyway? This game, called Unwritten, was created over a twelve years period. It wasn't like this at the start—it was just a basic sandbox game, envisioned by the legendary developer and producer, Ryszard G. himself. He had a good intent, but the original concept was lacking immersion. This is why he got this crazy idea of involving new technologies into the project.

 

At first, VRMMOs was something that only existed in a fictional world. Who knew that today, thanks to Synapse, something like this could have been created. Yes, this is not the first MMO that uses a VR, but it is the first one to use Synapse. Thanks to that, this game's experience is nothing like any previous games. Thank the developers they have decided to go this direction.

 

There are thousands of features that became a reality over time. For example, when you start the game, or when you choose to teleport to a random location, you fall from the sky. You don’t just fall, you go through the entire experience of entering a new world, with your body being pushed the wind, with your clothes fluttering. Something you won’t be able to forget.

 

[...Too long to remember really.]

 

I broke the silence with those words, hesitating what to actually say. This is the truth however, I don't exactly remember how long, I played in the beta tests, I played on the original server, and now I play on this second server. To say the least, this game really changed for the better. I would not enjoy it if it was any different, I don't think anyone would.

 

This is because normally, in MMOs you are given too much information at once, things you can do and cannot. In this game, things like cooldowns, combat, HP, social interaction, all the essentials are handled not by screen but via Synapse. You get told for example when you skill if off cooldown, when your mana or hp is low, there is a stimuli for everything.

 

It's made specifically to breach the distance between game world and the real world. People expect to have a skill bar, they expect when you click anything there is extra information on everything. But when you include that in the game, the experience concentrates on the game mechanics, not on the experience that comes from exploring another world.

 

[Well, I personally find myself really hard, to understand some of the things in this game,

like how the combat is in this game. It feels really nice, but at the same time,

it is hard to get used after all the other games I played. You would think it’s the VR controls,

but it actually uses simple keyboard controls. They work... but the game itself is complicated.]

 

[Yea, you get used to it or not. There is always the other mode, if you want practice.]

 

The other mode I mentioned was the Battle Royale server, the more popular game that uses assets from this game. The gameplay is very similar, but the objective of the game is set—it is to survive as the last person standing. Even if the mechanics are similar to this version, it doesn't use Synapse, and the devs deliberately said there are major differences in mechanics.

 

This of course means, since in this MMO you don't get indications about how much damage you are doing or such, you can never really learn how this game operates for sure, you can only make assumptions. There is a hidden wiki, though the data is not always consistent with the game. That reminds me, I better check on other Archetypes before I forget.

 

[I'm... not interested in the other mode Wolf, but thanks for the concern.

But anyway, isn't this the ruins you were talking about earlier?

We should turn left keep going straight from on now. Is that okay?]

 

[Yea, that was what I was planning to do anyway. Hold tight.]

 

And with that said, I guess we were going the right way now. That's as satisfying as it can get. I have some trading business here and there, if they don't have what I need then...I guess I would have to just find what I need again, by having to hunt materials on my own that is.

 

===

 

[Hey, finally we arrived. This must the place, right Wolf?

There are all those tents and it seems to have people around.]

 

In the horizon, a small hunting village finally appeared in our visions. It might be just a bunch of tents, but it is enough for people to gather. In this game you can create a town anywhere, as long as there is enough space. Although, there is no reason to build just anywhere, the settlers need a specific purpose. In the case of this village, it’s hunting.

 

[Is this is your first time? If so, don't get surprised, because I warned you.]

 

[You mean in this camp or with npcs in general?]

 

There is a different expectation for everyone visiting a town for the first time in this game. Many think finding npcs to get quests, but technically there are no npcs in this game. After logging out, you can set a special idle mode for your character. They become AIs that can carry out certain tasks, like being a shop clerk, creating items or just guarding the house. Thus, every town is usually full of those kinds of people.

 

[I'm thinking... There should be someone here that can help with directions.

Wolf, over here, there is a guy there! He should know where to go from here.]

 

Almost trying to tug the bottom of my coat, the little impatient girl she is, WRose clearly wanted to me to come along. I stepped off my bike, took it back to my inventory, and looked around for the first person behind a counter. There was just this one person who looked pretty shady. He was wearing full clothing, a turban and a mask. He was my guy.

 

[Hey, I need monster shells, I have monster crystals.]

 

[Hello good sir, care for a drink? The desert is wide, and very exhausting.

If you can't keep hydrated you will fall a pray to the sand monsters here.]

 

He said with ignoring what I wanted, those AIs... He also was a hunter himself obviously,

I tell from seeing some monster bones on the display behind him. WRose on the other hand...

 

[Good morning sir, I would gladly look at your wares.]

 

The girl bobbed a curtsy in front of this guy, possibly because she thinking this was a player. She wasn't wrong, that character was a player, but the owner of the character was offline—she was talking with an AI. This feature was thought up pretty early in the development, AI in video games is still something that not many games take advantage of. It is a shame really… even simple AIs can do wonders.

 

[Good morning young miss, will you be making a purchase today? But of course,

we have a selection from stamina regenerating items, basic building materials,

basic upgrading materials and rare upgrading materials, please take a look at this pamphlet.]

 

The satisfied petite hands of a little girl received the scrap of paper with a smile. On it, a texture image of the selection of this shop. A convenient innovation—one that allowed to change your stocked items on the fly. Every shop has one, as far as I know. Some has cutesy art, other have just text and a background. Anyway, I was never interested in them, unlike the little lady standing next to me.

 

[Trade me, give me this item.]

 

I said with the simplest words that came into my mind. How else would the AI understand? Simple words work the best.

 

[I see, minster. You want to sell this yes? I have to regrettably inform you that,

today someone already bought up most of monster shells from out shop.

However, if you please kindly look, we also have these goods up for trade.]

 

Determined to sell me something, anything at all, the AI kept talking about wares and wares. I was already bored. Not only I lost my chance at finding the easy source of the materials I needed, but also this meant more work. Additionally, whoever bought the entire stock would also cause more demand, and more demand means more hunters.

 

[Let me think... Wolf you should know what those items do right?

Like this desert rose hair band, it would most delightfully fit me don't you think?

But aren't those supposed to be items that give you stats or something?]

 

Given the accessory, the girl tried to stylishly don it in a way that would not cause clipping issues with her brained hair in the back. I think it looked fine, it surely did fit her style, but I also had no interest in fashion, especially girl’s fashion. What did matter for me were the stats, which this accessory obviously didn't give any, so I would not recommend buying it.

 

[They do, and then don't. If you fancy yourself a gift, then sure.]

 

[Huh...? I’m not sure I understand]

 

[As in don’t count on it giving you any stats anytime soon.]

 

[I don’t mind that, its fine. But it would be most appreciated if you were clearer.]

 

I couldn't see any other reason to say anymore. It’s quite difficult to explain to newer players honestly, so I remained silent. Moreover I still had to hunt for the remaining shells if I were to upgrade my weapon today. I had an urge, thanks to this here depleted stock, and a bad feeling that people online were hunting like crazy. Therefore, if we don't want to fall behind I had to be quick. Driving here I saw some monsters at...

 

[Are you coming too? I won't be waiting.]

 

[But you said you were just dropping me here and...]

 

[Yes...and?]

 

I said to the girl while I was getting ready to leave. She was still deciding on the gift for me... even if I said I don't need anything. This is more or less why I choose to play solo, it's much faster.

 

[Well okay, I will just take this and we can leave.

But do say Wolf, why are you always in hurry?

Isn't the game more enjoyable if you have friends?

Perhaps we could try to a find a party,

there should be people around that we can...]

 

She kept talking while trying to keep up with my pace. Her logic wasn't incorrect, but I was not convinced. Still, having to deal with more people only meant more problems, it didn't open any new options in my opinion.

 

[Say, you must have visited a dungeon before right?

I heard about this game's dungeons but I haven't been to...]

 

[Dungeons huh? That is exactly what I was planning.]

 

I'm glad we are on the same page, WRose. Dungeons, unlike hunting zones, are instances created by players. There is a limit on how many you can create per day, and you require specials keys to open the doors to them. They are always an option to grind, at peak hours like this, but also they are only way to get high star weapons. Just today, it would be fine, I thought.

 

[Yea, I'm sorry, I don't how exactly do you do dungeons in this game,

would you be so kind and explain how they actually work to me Wolf?

We should also search for party members, so I will do that for you at least.]

 

I didn't plan for full party—the dungeon I wanted materials from is rather easy, even with just us two. On top of that she ran off before I said anything. I guess we are doing this her way now.

 

===

 

Standing in the sand, looking at the sun, the time started to advance slower and slower. I took my smoke break, a brief of fresh air. As a rule, I wouldn't party with others—wasting my time was out of the question. But the situation that I was in now, it required me to fight my habit, to break away from being a lone wolf. Playing with a new player like her was also a new thing for me.

 

[Everyone already heard this word, consolidation. It happens naturally in democratic systems over a period of time, usually twenty years. People become less aware of the “black and white”, and become more desynthesized about the whole political system. For them there is no longer a right or wrong choice, it doesn’t matter who will be elected because in the end, nothing will change. ]

 

[Quite the contrary to this belief is the “lesser of two evil” method, in which middle voter believe that they might save their country from a poorer choice in election. But what would appeal to someone with very little or none interest in political debate? Money, of course. Throughout time we witnessed a high correlation between spending and winning, almost as if other factors didn’t matter.]

 

[So what do we do in a system that enables for any big enough company to decide whoever wins the election? We certainly don’t sit and wait for someone to do something about it. We are too old and wise to believe a fictional hero is going to raise and solve our problems. Hence why recently, in most countries, new parties were getting more and more support, not enough to change anything, but this is surely...]

 

[Yea, I knew this is going to be a “please donate to my party” kind of video.]

 

I guess sometimes people become really annoying, another reason why I prefer to solo. Since you can watch videos in this game, someone had to do that right in front of me. It was so rude I had to move away, since I couldn’t mute them. I don’t really have any interest in this kind of stuff myself to be honest but...

 

Eventually, Rose returned with two other people. I think I was waiting for ten minutes or something like that.

 

[Oh you actually stayed? Thank you very much! So, this is the other guy.

His name is Wolf and he seems to be very knowledgeable about this game.

I was very grateful for meeting him today, he plays a Rogue.]

 

[Yea, and she is WRose, the type who talks with AIs.]

 

[I’m always trying to be polite to them, what do you mean?]

 

She totally acts like a new player. Moreover...

 

[Hey there, Wolf, how is it? Call me Darku, I play a Marksman]

 

A strange looking girl said, with a boyish tone. She was taller than WRose, taller than a normal girl would be. She had a coat, leather boots, a skirt and a shirt that looked like a school uniform. Her skin was violet, her hair white and her eyes red, though one of her eye was covered by her hair. She basically looked like a drow from a fantasy setting.

 

[Hoi hoi, it's me Titania!]

 

Afterwards, wearing a full plated armour, the tallest of the them three spoke with enthusiasm, while holding an energetic pose with one of the hands in the air. She was a girl with long blonde pony tail, a helmet with a visor, gold, purple and light blue accents on her skirt and shirt. She was certainly a knight.

 

[Oh, those two? They are fine I don't expect much.]

 

I said with little room to argue. Obviously I can't tell anything about those two, whom WRose randomly found. They might be helpful, they might end up just being a problem, but I didn't care much. If anything, I can only trust myself, I will just have to adjust to any mistakes they do. Saying so, I wouldn’t be surprised if I was had to solo this dungeon in the end.

 

[Oh my! Wolfie, why such a skeptical mood? You be surprised bruh.]

 

Winked, the knight girl asserted, as if she was sure she is going to do well. But that alone just solidified my worries, what if I actually should step back and return to what I was doing all this time? It was not too late, I thought.

 

[You are right Titania, though Wolf just simply looks like that kind of a guy.

In my opinion, we be fine, whatever happens. We are already quite balanced,

in terms of party composition right? Just like a proper party from a DnD campaign.]

 

The drow added while looking around at our morale. I wasn’t impressed.

 

[Ehe~ I gotta be the Paladin, because I got the looks right? All the Charisma!]

 

The tall girl jokingly interjected while giggling. She was quite in the groove, all ready for a charge into the fire. I didn’t think I can work well with this party—at this point it would be a waste to open a dungeon for them. What I should do is to politely decline and just do my usual stuff... at least that what I thought until...

 

[Hey, Wolf. Can I talk with you for a second?]

 

WRose, in a half-whispering voice, gathered my attention. She walked close to me so that only I could hear her whisper.

 

[I know that you are not fast with trusting others, nor that I know a lot about you.

But even if I am asking for much, I don't want you to rely so hard on yourself.

When you have friends, the adventure becomes livelier, don't you think so?]

 

She was trying to convince me again, against my own judgment. But that wasn't just my play style, that’s how I am. Whenever others want something from me, it’s always a bother. When you have to rely on others, you never get what you want. If you really want something done properly, you can only trust yourself. That is what I believe. However...

 

[So that doesn't sound convincing?

I know... I should give you some time and...]

 

And now she sounded more concerned, more than ever. No one ever spoke like that to me, even if it was just an online game. I was divided between the person who was playing the game, and the person behind the screen. I looked at her eyes, they gazed back into me. I was not sure what I saw, but my expression worried me. In fact, I was scared of something that followed me all the way here.

 

[I... I am not sure about those two, WRose. That's all.]

 

Keeping my cool behind my glasses, I replied to her with a straight face.

 

[Are you sure you don't want to give them at least a chance? I won't force you, just hear me out.

There is nothing wrong with giving other's your stage. Everyone stumbles from time to time,

but in the end they come around. If you don't believe you can do always improve,

I don't think you will ever... well nevermind. I’m sorry for trying to convince you...]

 

She stumbled mid sentence, as if she wanted to say something but then decided not to. So it's not just me eh? And then...

 

[Well, whatever... I will have your way for a day. Just don’t ask why.]

 

Maybe I was just playing the cool dude role, but I let the kid do what she wanted. I was a nice guy after all. On top of that, I don't think I would be ever able to talk to her again after those words, a strange feeling. After she opened to me, in spite of my behaviour, I started to feel more convinced. I wanted to believe that I made the right choice.

 

[Hey hey, party leader. Are we going yet? I’m kinda bored over here.

We almost decided to ditch you but you turned around eh? Good for you!]

 

The Paladin shrugged. In a way she was right, I was taking too much time here already.

 

[I'm going to open a dungeon, just try to keep up.]

 

And the next second, we all walked through the portal I opened. I wasn't too sure what I should expect.

 

===

 

But I wasn't disappointed. So far our progress was on a steady pace. Yes, we do lack a Priest, but at the same time, for this particular dungeon I don't think we actually require one. Walking cautiously through the dark catacombs, bashing skeletons left and right, little by little we made our way to the boss room. Still, something was amiss.

 

Our party was right before the door—the entrance was only one way, meaning that we would not be able to go back. I checked everyone status, they were healthy and full on mana. Before entering I made a signal to stop—I wanted to confirm our strategy.

 

[Listen, the boss of this place is giant skeleton.

His overhead swing has the longest animation. Watch for that and attack.

Additionally, he will summon adds at the start and a second time later on.]

 

[I will be taking the adds then, Wolf.]

 

The Drow said, followed by the Tank and the Wizard.

 

[Roger dodger, allow me to take the lead then.]

 

[I'm ready, let's do it.]

 

WRose, Titania and Darku confirmed their readiness respectively. However, when we entered through the doorway, rather than a giant skeleton forming in the middle of the room, there was a circle. It glowed with light, bright but not blinding. From it raised a feathered creature, with two legs and a pair of wings. What was happening?

 

[This is... something different. Don't do rash things.]

 

[It’s too late for that!]

 

But before I could stop her, our Tank was already in combat. It wasn't the worst since she did in fact grouped all the adds. With that in our minds, the Wizard and the Marksman started dealing AoE damage to deal with the adds quickly. I on the other hand, entering the range of every monster in the room would be a suicide, thus I kept my distance with my shotgun.

 

However, as soon as all of us started attacking, Titania had a bright idea. In preparations for receiving the attack, her character invoked a mystical shield that orbited around her armour. That skill meant that with her defences increased, she was planning to take all the hits without dodging. Wasn't this a little early? But then I saw just exactly she meant to do.

 

[Silly monsters, I have enough for y'all.]

 

Instead of mitigating the damage by blocking, she used a skill aggressively. Her giant two handed sword smashed into the ground, creating a ripple in the ground that extended throughout the room. The skeletons that surrounded her collapsed onto the floor, though the bird stood still without suffering any visible damage. It jolted its beak swiftly at the knight, without stopping her.

 

The tank created additional two ripples, and then swung her sword over head in a circular motion. Connecting mostly with the boss, it did leave a visible scar on its feathers. The skill she just used, it lowers the defences of the target. Knowing so, I instantly recognized her intentions, she was about to initiate an attack. I had to charge my dash as soon as possible.

 

[I got this.]

 

I flung myself at the boss, hoping for the best and used Vault. Obviously in any normal condition, I would have rather use a counter. However, I trusted my Tank, or at least hoped that she paid attention. The second I reached the giant bird, it did what I predicted, it used it countered my grab with his. As for Titania, she was ready too. Before the animation could finish, she used her own counter, which in her case, grabs the target instead of damaging it.

 

Naturally all the boss monsters have a protection against stagger. No matter how many times you hit then, they stand still and continue attacking. However, as long the boss is in grab state, your party members can safely attack it. This leads to a very intense button mashing, where you want to use your long animations. And so, thanks to our maneuver, it was our time to deal big damage.

 

Not bothering with the adds, our Tank was taking extra damage while holding the boss. She used her grapple extender, bringing her massive sword down onto the head of the monstrosity. Green light appeared which restored a little bit of vitality for her. At the same time, I was in the wrong position, so I moved quickly behind the boss and stabbed it as best I could.

 

[Let me assist as well.]

 

But the combo wouldn't end here. Cast her glowing lights and shield WRose, moved to the side of the boss. Her magic lights reached some of the adds as well as the boss. However her plan was to use another skill in combination. A colourful light exploded out of her hands, creating a vibrant beam that pierced the bird. It sure looked powerful.

 

[This is going well, here.]

 

Darku used her grab as well, giving us more time to deal damage. After throwing her net at the bird, she didn't move forward like WRose. Instead she stayed behind in case something would have happened. Finally, cancelling her laser, the wizard used her grab as well. With a shadowy grasp, the boss was thrown away from the party.

 

In this game, as long as you chain your grabs, you can continue combo as a party. In some cases, it might be not smart to spend too much mana just on one skill. That leaves you without any way to defend yourself afterwards. Thus, strategy and coordination is a must if you want to take down bosses. This team was doing well so far.

 

Now that our attack was finished, the giant chicken gathered its strength for a mighty leap. WRose teleported to safety just before it jumped into the air. I also moved away, reaching the corner of the room. The only person that didn't move out of its way was our Tank. She has very confident that she could take a hit.

 

In both my and her surprise it seemed that she was wrong. The bird landed directly beneath her. With that one huge hit she received, she was flung backwards with force and landed on the ground. This wasn't supposed to happen—the boss here doesn't have an ability like that. I was unsure what was happening.

 

[This is bad, keep distance!]

 

I shouted while looking around the room. Fortunately or unlucky the leap the bird preformed also smashed the skeletons. This meant we didn't need to deal with them now, but there is another wave coming soon. We had to spread out, position ourselves in the corners of the rooms, and wait for the adds to appear before doing anything to the boss.

 

Easier said than done.

 

===

 

[Titania! Hold on, I'm going to help you.]

 

WRose rushed to her aid, trying to recover her companion as soon as possible. In other games, usually when the tank dies it is all over—underestimating how much damage you can take is a bad play. However, in these circumstances I think no one expected for the damage to be this big. We had to be more careful from now on.

 

[Okay, let me take the aggro.]

 

As a Marksman, Darku should have access to certain skills that would allow her to act as a distraction. She fearlessly walked around the bird, reading an arrow from the boss's blind side. Releasing the payload, the beast has been pierced with a lighting fast projectile. It left a small searing wound on one of its wings.

 

Still on the hunt, Darku took several more arrows from her quiver and launched all of them at once. Reaching the boss, they absorbed the bird's attention and now the drow became its target. With two being close, the mighty beak swung yet again, this time missing its mark. Furious, the bird gave chance after her, with its wings flapping. This plan was working.

 

[Yes, thank you Darku!]

 

One of the features of Marksmans is that they can use a very quick dodge move that evades danger. However, there is a cooldown, you can't do it all the time. It is not smart to use it offensively— this was still a risk. On the other hand, if anything we can't afford playing it safe forever. We have to struggle together or we will die one by one.

 

[Yo, thanks a lot Rosie, I owe ya.]

 

The tank was on her feet again, not ready to fight but at least in a better situation. In order to go back to combat, she had to restore her hp back to maximum. As she keeled down, a power surge enveloped her body from below. It slowly restored her vitality—soon she would be able to resume her battle with the boss. However, something different has happened.

 

Ignoring the Marksman, the bird suddenly jumped into the air, and flew towards WRose and Titania. It was a surprise for everyone, and yes, the AI was in fact unpredictable some times. However, if we didn't do something fast, Titania's healing would be interrupted. I instantly dashed towards the boss, trying to use whichever skill I had available. It hoped that at least it would stop.

 

[It's coming! Get away.]

 

I shouted knowing that they might not have enough time to escape. WRose just used her teleport,

while our tank was not in the shape to take hits. However, something then happened that gave me a little hope. Our Wizard, summoning her light spheres, jumped in front of the flying bird and turned into a gas form.

 

Her plan was to take the aggro herself. She could not take too much damage before dying, but at least it would help Titania. With a fizz, the mass of particles annoyed the boss, damaging it ever so slightly. It swung at them with its beak, again and again, trying to disburse the clouding field in front of its eyes. It was a fierce aerial battle, between the two's egos.

 

WRose of course took the damage for it. However, it seemed that her life was not as important as her comrade's. Her bravery, as much as it is understandable, might also cost us the dungeon. In this game you only get one shot at a boss. If you die during the dungeon, you can't retry the same day. It makes each encounter even so more exciting. That’s what I have heard at least.

 

[Okay Rosie, now it's my turn.]

 

The tank stood up in time, full healed and ready to take aggro. Although she wanted to resume normal operations, the bird spread its wings and hovered in the air. It was clearly readying an attack—a signal for us to move out of the range. Instead, Titania was charging into the fray, trying to block the damage for WRose who just turned back to flesh.

 

The full plated knight rushed towards the small defenceless looking wizard, standing firmly in front of her. Just as she raised her sword high, in anticipation for a fearsome attack, the bird flapped its wings stormily. A sky of piercing feathers came down falling down on the two, but they did in fact prevailed the onslaught.

 

WRose looked beaten, she was still standing. She wanted to move away, to make some space between her and the boss. Alas, she was instantly met with resistance. At the worst possible time, from the nearby wall, skeletons stood up animated. There was no obstacle between them and WRose. With a few strikes, with her no longer having any cooldowns, she was defeated.

 

[Oh no! Let us take the adds again.]

 

Darku said, trying to keep her composure. She and I now had the job to dealing with the adds, before we could deal with the boss again. I could take one, with her taking the other, but it would take more time to deal with them individually rather than just doing AoE. Meanwhile, our tank would have to hold the aggro and survive the boss. Knowing the boss had very strong attacks, it was unlikely.

 

[Oh my gush, WRose! Hang in there!]

 

[No! Focus on tanking!]

 

Titania wanted to help up the Wizard, but we didn't have a time for that. If the boss would go after us, we would not be able to deal with the adds. If we didn't clear the adds, the Tank would take extra damage again. At the moment, he had no choice but to take it slow, even if that meant leaving WRose to die. Still, another surprise hit us...

 

Instead of being focused on the Tank, the bird brain it was, the boss landed and turned its attention to Darku. This changes her plan, instead of using the bow and hitting the adds, the Marksman decides to make traps. Knowing this, at the same time Titania raised her two handed sword high in the air, and gathered her strength.

 

As she brought down the blade, a wave of energy roared through the floor, passing through the boss. On the other side, a wall of stone rose out of the ground, blocking the way the bird was heading. This time, it has no choice, it had to turn back and face the knight in an unfair combat. The difference in size was obvious.

 

[Don't bother with me, just take down the adds!]

 

She shouted behind the wall. What was happening there I couldn't see, but it seemed that she was taking hits after hits. I, on the other hand, was going after skeletons. With a quick dash, and a combo it was enough to take a single one down. For Darku, as soon as she finished her trap, she changed her focus towards helping me. But then, suddenly the stone wall collapsed.

 

===

 

What we saw both, was the bird running through the wall effortlessly, while Titania was against a wall, trying to stand up. The aggro was again on Darku, I presumed, that is why the boss moved towards her. However, she was ready, at least her traps where. I didn't knew if I had time or the mana to rush to help if needed, but alone I couldn't do much more than just deal damage.

 

[I'm sorry.]

 

The knight vocalized while catching her breath. She still could fight but was clearly wounded. Her choices where to either help out WRose, go after the adds, or attack the boss. I couldn't see what she was going to do, therefore I continued my plan. When Darku attacks, I'm going to follow with whatever mana I still have.

 

[Okay, here it comes.]

 

A single box sprung out of the ground—it instantly started shooting arrows at the direction the boss was going. One after the other, it did trivial damage, almost not doing anything at all. However, as the bird approached, it rushed its beak furiously against the Marksman. Darku was ready for the attack, and swiftly dodged out of the way.

 

Now was the time to attack. With the boss in the place she wanted, she activated all the remaining traps. One of them changed the floor into a sea of electricity, shocking the bird. The other one, looking like a huge bear trap, attached itself to the bosses leg, snaring it in place. Darku took that time to use a few skills, and then threw her net.

 

And that was my cue to dash in. With its grab retaliation out of the picture, I had to follow up at once. I used Vault, and swiftly moved to behind of the boss. I only had time for one or two attacks before the boss turned to me, thus I used Backstab. Before I could run away, the bird used its legs to kick me, but I was ready to Parry.

 

With a quick draw of my katana, I was satisfied with the damage I dealt. Without waiting for the boss to turn, I used Backstep I escape to safety. However, in my place, unexpectedly Titania moved in to grab the boss. This indeed allowed me to continue the combo, so I quickly moved back in using the S/A of my Backstep.

 

[Stupid bird!]

 

She swung her blade down at the foe, again and again, with great strength. It was clear that her mana was going to deplete soon. Meanwhile, I moved in to do my combo, I didn't have all of the cooldowns but at least I could still do some damage. The problem was getting back—I was almost completely out of mana and out of useful skills. If I overdid it...

 

[Here goes nothing.]

 

I took a gamble. I knew that if I didn't use all my abilities here, we would not likely defeat the boss.

With Titania low on hp she would be the first one to fall. With only two players, we wouldn't be able to deal with adds, thus the entire party would eventually perish. This was really the best thing I could come up in that situation.

 

[You serious man?]

 

The moment Darku spoke those words, the boss recovered from being staggered and swiped at me and the tank. Titania was flung backwards and stayed on the ground. As for me, hardly breathing and in pain, I still had some hp left. From here now on, I had to leave everything to Darku, who had a special arrow prepared in her hand.

 

Firing slowly, a pure white bone was fired towards the boss, hitting it in between its feet. This was presumably to slow the bird down, however because of the earlier snare, I guess it became resistant. It wasn't even a second before it started moving again, allowing for just two or three extra hits.

 

As for me, I was facing the back of the boss, who moved slowly towards Darku. Behind me, the remaining adds were catching up. Far away and not in vision, Titania and WRose were on the ground. I could die here, not doing nothing, or just try a last ditch effort at taking the boss with me. That way, I would at least try not to waste everyone's labour.

 

[Wait... what?]

 

Before I could decide properly, the boss once again flew into the air. The attack from before was aimed at Darku. Although I thought it would be smarter to move out of the way, Darku stood and triggered a trap that apparently was there, even though I couldn’t see it. She was flung high in the air, firing arrows at the beast. Not only she evaded the feather attack that way, she also dealt good damage.

 

Afterwards, both of them landed on the ground, but it was Darku who landed on the feet. The bird's numbness body, like a doll hit the ground with a loud screech echoing the room. The skeleton adds were no more, disappearing from sight. WRose and Titania both got up, albeit sluggishly. This could only mean one thing—we actually succeeded in beating the boss!

 

[Holy... MVP Darku!]

 

The knight rushed at the drow's side, promptly hugging her companion tightly. She looked very excited, just like the rest of us. I didn't know what was going on at the beginning, but we did survive. I didn't believe that we could do it, but in the end we managed to succeed. I was just a small part of that success.

 

[Hey, could you... well I know you are happy but...

a little restrain would be in order, if you kindly...]

 

[Ehehe~ but you deserve all the hugs!]

 

Surely Darku does Titania. As for other party members...

 

[Thank you everyone! We managed to beat the boss in the end.

I suppose... I should be apologizing for my aggressive play style.]

 

WRose bowed down her head, as if she was the cause of the troubles we had. If we succeed in the end, there is nothing to apologize for. Still, if anything, it should be Titania who should cool her hothead. In any case, I would really want to see what this boss I never saw before dropped. It must be a rare item right? I picked it up and...

 

[This is... a feather? Wait, it's not just that, it's actually a Word!]

 

[Hold on a second. Wolf, can you please tell me what a Word is?]

 

Words in this game are special items that you can't trade with other players. They are used in many ways, like imbuing accessories to give them magical properties, or crafting dungeon doors. Depending on the words used, results may vary. Additionally, there is little information about them online. In fact, this is the first time I see [Feather].

 

[Crafting accessories, dungeons and stuff. Pretty useful stuff...]

 

I explained. The rest of us also picked up their loot. Seems that we all got one.

 

[And stuff? That sounds...]

 

Yes, words also have a special purpose, one that should remain a secret to others.

 

===

 

After leaving the dungeon, I decided to regenerate my stamina to full, while doing some crafting on the side. Because I am a player without a home, one that is called a nomad, I can't log out and use an AI to do that. In the meanwhile, others decided to join me by the fire in the night. The moon was shining down on the endless sands.

 

[So wanna hear a story?]

 

I decided to share a little of with the party—it was the setting behind this game that people don't read. For me that kind of stuff is always interesting, so I gathered my voice and spoke in-between taking smoke puffs.

 

[Believe it or not, this world was created by ancient humans, living way in the past times.

I’m talking about at least ten thousand years ago, so nothing is quite clear about that period.

But for sure world looked different—the very essence of humanity was the cause of it. You see,

people back then had the power to call words into existence, whatever they would say would become real.]

 

[Whoa, That's really cool! So it's like you could make anything you wanted?]

 

[Right Titania, something like that... but let's get back on subject. At some point there was a great tragedy,

and even with the power they had, humans were unable to prevent the worst, the end of the world that was unavoidable.

To counter the disaster and save earth, our ancestors devised a plan. They created a pocket world that would survive the tragedy.

They were able to do so because they had the power to birth the Words into existence. This Feather is just one example.]

 

[That's... mighty interesting Wolf. This is all related to the game?]

 

[Yes WRose, the events of that time still have an impact on today. You see, the world we are currently in,

it is the very same world that was created back then. Of course, it’s a little different now, after some time has passed.

But why would the ancient humans allow us, the current humanity, to visit their world? I’m not quite sure,

but there must be a reason. If there is one really, it must be hidden somewhere in this world, right?]

 

After those words left my mouth, there was a brief silence. I don't expect them to understand right away, it always take time for someone to take this information in. I looked at the moon in the horizon. Tomorrow, I should be leaving this desert and moving somewhere where there is actually grass. For one, my feet will be grateful.

 

I don't know what will happen with others, we had a good connection but in the end, but I'm a solo player. I don't want to get others involved, simply because there is too much things to consider, things I rather not think about. This is for the better, I told to myself. Sighed, I reached for my weapon and starting the lengthy crafting process.

 

Meanwhile, the rest decided to open a different conversation topic.

 

[Say say, Rosie? Why is your name WRose? I get the other part,

you have a flower motive and you are little girl but why W? Is that white?

Maybe there is a particular reason behind all this I'm missing or what?]

 

[Particular reason? Em... let me think about it first...]

 

The girls were discussing about something relatively uninteresting back at the fireplace. I on the other hand...when you upgrade your weapons you can increase one of the four stats, which are Health, Mana, Physical Defence and Magical Defence. Additionally you can increase star ranks of certain weapons. This is what I was going for tonight.

 

[So tell me Rosie, how much of that slider did you use?

I mean if you didn't use any at all, it should have been flat right?

Ehehe~ but I see there is still some brae under that shrug.]

 

[Please... Titania, you know about the restriction right?]

 

Restrictions huh? She must be talking about the Synapse's forbidden areas. What I heard is that, in the past there were complaints about certain stimulations that were far from decent. So the company had to answer for that, they were put on a trail which resulted in a strict viewing what is allowed to become a stimuli and what can't.

 

To put it briefly, touching areas around the crouch up to the areas around the chest, areas around the upper thighs, as well are areas around buttocks are forbidden. It is also not allowed to stimulate putting something into mouth, or affecting internal organs, although you can stimulate various dishes for the tongue. Too invasive sensations, like being stabbed, are also prohibited.

 

[You know what? If you can’t tell, I let in you in on a little secret.

When I was creating this character I wanted a name with tits in it,

but that was not allowed… I know right? I also wanted a boob plate,

but I only found this one. Jeez, it’s actually quite realistically shaped.]

 

[But that shouldn’t be a problem for you, Titania? I mean,

even if someone touches it you wouldn’t feel anything right?]

 

[Yea, I feel like I was cheated out of my boob plate!]

 

They were talking about the number one topic girls talk online, it seems. Well, that doesn't concern me so...

 

[Hey, Daki, aren't you going to join as well? Come on gurl, sit with us.

Do I need to use purely affective, not sexual VR gesture on you too?]

 

[I'm actually a guy. Yes, that might be a shocker for you, but I get that a lot of times.]

 

[Uuuu, Darku... I didn't know you were swinging like that?

Hey, don't you think can escape with that alone, I'm gonna get ya!]

 

[Yea...I wouldn’t want to burst your bubble but no.]

 

They were bonding, I guess? I am not well versed in VR behaviours. It was something like how much distance is okay, that you don't put anything in each other's eyes or something... Even if you can play this game without VR, it has all the VR features you would find in other games. Maybe it is okay to say, a game with VR features would not sell nowadays…

 

[I pardon, do you mind if I sit next to you, Wolf?

I have something I wish to discuss with you, if you please.]

 

WRose, who appeared next to me while I was thinking, asked me as if she wanted to say something important.

 

[Sure, I don't mind. What is on your mind?]

 

[What are you going to do after today?

I think the four of us together make a wonderful team.

You said also you didn't care where you would travel,

thus I think you would enjoy Maremoda.

 It can't be far from where we are currently.

Plus, you said something about finding a reason...]

 

[I see... I will think about tomorrow.]

 

With that I finished my crafting and what I wanted to do today. All that was left was to go to sleep.

 

[Pretty tired? Then, Wolf I will see you tomorrow, right?]

 

WRose said, looking at me with her green eyes that reflected fire from the fire place. A warm expression, one that could put a man to sleep the moment he looked. Yea, she looked way too cute wearing that accessory...

 

[He’s an interesting person, and definitely into lore...

Though I feel like sometimes he tries too hard.]

0