=== Chapter 3 [Echo]
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=== Chapter 3 [Echo]

 

[Television is really boring and they always lie.]

 

No, not this time *Click*

 

[Politics, economy, social classes, bla bla bla...]

 

I don’t want to watch this channel *Click*

 

[But we were always oppressed! Said in an angry voice.]

 

I don’t want to watch this video *Click*

 

[*Silence*...]

 

[Now that’s more like it!]

 

....

 

The sun was set—it was morning for me and the rest of the world. I looked around to see if anyone was around, but the horizon was empty. There was only sand, only emptiness. There was something missing in this picture, something which told me to move, to run as fast I could towards the mountains. There, I thought, I would find peace again.

 

I climbed a hill, to better survey my surroundings. To the east, ruins of an old city was laid barren. To the west, nothing but more sand, not even a single soul. My direction, north. I took out my bike, mounted it and started the engine. Revving up the throttle, I ride down the dune, and gain speed.

 

With the wind against my face, my hair flutters back. I feel free again, free from gravity of physics. My coat makes a swooshing sound, muffled by the loud sound of the motor. But I can't hear anything else, but my own thoughts. It is like my head is inside a whole different world. Unfortunately, that didn't last long.

 

[Hey there Wofie, nice bike.]

 

I was spotted. It seemed that the party I was with yesterday was just around the corner. Titania, the friskiest of them three, waved at me ostentatiously. WRose, who usually acted shyly, she stood there among her comrades happy and without a worry. And Darku, he was actually a guy right? My dream of a harem...

 

[Good morning, Wolf. How are you today?]

 

I had no reason to stop, not even when WRose said that, though I was thinking about just talking with them for a second. I took my motorcycle back to my inventory, and replied to the girl's greeting with waving my hand at her.

 

[Wow, saying hello and all in a video game?

That's kinda nostalgic, like its old MMO times or something.]

 

Said the drow, who stood still with others, awaiting my company.

 

[Yea sure... what are you guys doing here?]

 

Were they deliberately waiting for me, or was this a coincidence again? To say the least, in this game it is not easy to find certain people, even if you had befriended them. There are no map icons, you ought to meet up in places with landmarks. In any case, something told me that I will be not soloing today either.

 

[Well, all the three of us in fact were waiting for you to login or something,

but since that took a while, we decided to go on ahead and try to farm some monsters.

Unfortunately, no monsters were in sight. It is kinda surprisingly, don't you think?]

 

Not really. Seems like WRose forgot about yesterday.

 

[By the way, I did send you a friend request, Wolf,

did you receive it? I would be most welcome if you did become my friend.]

 

The friend request WRose was talking about was a system in the game that allowed players to socialize more easily. I never had an interest in looking who was currently online. Additionally, some of the core gameplay menus, like friend list, crafting and inventory still use a traditional popup window. It is convenient, but at the same time, it’s distracting.

 

[Sure I don't mind... and done.]

 

There were actually three friend requests, all from the people I was standing next to.

 

[So hey Wolfie, wanna go hunting? There is still one place we didn't check.]

 

Just as Titania said those words, I heard that someone, or a group people, was closing on our position. They were still some distance away, although the sound was louder with each second. I looked around, noticing Darku looking at a certain direction. Soon I learned why he would be standing silent.

 

[Hey there, long time not see Xyl. I see you are busy as ever?]

 

[You gotta stretch from time to time—I just have to when I get the chance.]

 

A tall man in fancy clothes, massive build and a beard started talking to Darku. They were acquaintances maybe? Besides him, several other people were following him around. They all were a mix of different characters, but mostly they wore similar clothing.

 

[By the way, did you come to visit me to talk about the old times,

or did you have a particular reason to come all the way to this desert?]

 

[Today, it will be the latter. There is something you probably should know, so listen well.

Our guild were doing some doing and scouting lately and it seems that the war will be unavoidable.

Ares wills it. It might not concern you now, but I will be blunt, I want you to be a part of this.]

 

Giving each other a stare, both of the men gathered their thoughts in silence. I wasn't sure what was going on yet,

but it seemed that Darku was involved into something with this guy. Whatever it was, I didn't want to be a part of it.

 

[To be honest, I was expecting you asking me to go back to the guild.

I think you know the answer but you came to learn the reason for it, right?

Well, personally I am not sure why. All those years and MMOs with me and you, I miss them.]

 

[I miss them too, Darku, but I have people to take care of.

I'm sorry to bother you as well, but I care for you, truly I do.

Just so you know, I will always be there for you in times of need.]

 

[Nevertheless, I want some time to think about things, getting more involved would be deteriorating.

Also, you know I was against the war in general right? Yea, I don't want to feel guilty about it.]

 

With the conversation gaining speed, all of the sudden Titania interjected, a little bit confused of what was going on.

 

[Hey guys, sorry for interrupting your lovely bromance,

but are you like old guild members or something?]

 

Sighting, Darku replied to her question.

 

[Yes, that is correct—I have been part of the guild TSA,

this guy runs it, and few other guilds in a few other games.]

 

[I also organize pvp tournaments in this game, and I run an online stream.

Sorry, but the stream is off at the moment. You can drop me a follow if you like to though.]

 

The big man released a small chuckle, he was obviously joking in a way. Putting that aside, it seems that after Titania's question, they resumed the conversation back where they paused.

 

[So then, just so you know Darku, I will be around. Just call me when you need me okay?

By the way, strange to ask you guys here, but did you find someone suspicious around here lately?

Monster and horde huntings, buying out materials, that smells like someone was taking up a collection.]

 

[Yea, I figured that. They say that one man and a girl took all the loot from the horde.]

 

This must be... me and WRose? Technically I don't know what she did with her share, but I already used mine so I don't have anything to add. Luckily, she didn't look like she wanted to say anything either.  In fact, we were not the people who bought out materials and made me and WRose do a dungeon instead.

 

[Okay then, I guess that is all I wanted to say. I still need to meet some people,

I will be busy but I will catch you later Darku. Oh, there is also someone that wanted to meet you.]

 

Before Xyl teleported, a robot character came out of his back. It looked very futuristic, like a cyborg but with a synthetic human face. It was a really cool avatar in my opinion.

 

[Greetings human units, I extend my salutations to you on this fine day.]

 

It spoke with a metallic and synthetic tone, while waving at us in an artificial looking motion.

 

[Hey G1, Is there something you wanted to talk about?]

 

[I request confidential transfer of data between units G1=98 and unit Darku.]

 

It also spoke weirdly, using words that would be fitting for a robot.

 

[Sure, I will teleport to you guys later, so go on ahead.]

 

Darku pleaded to us three, asking for some time. I was fine with that—I wasted enough time already here.

 

[You will be fine on your own Daki? I see,

have fun with your robot friend there, and take care.]

 

[Yes, Darku, in case if you have to logout, please inform us.]

 

WRose bowed and followed Titania, who already decided to walk away. The direction she was heading, I think on the map was the end of the desert. We were finally going to leave this place, I hoped.

 

===

 

[So G1, you wanted to say something?

I already told Xyl that I'm not interested in war.]

 

[This unit requests your utmost attention, as for this data's importance level has been set at level three.

This unit recently received confidential data addressed for unit Darku's eyes only.

In order to fulfil the request, this unit will transfer data. Commencing data transfer...]

 

[Sure… I don’t mind.]

 

So, after opening the file, Gee wanted to deliver me some kind of message from my ex. I wish I knew about this before, I would have not accepted the message then. That's too late now, oh well. I might as well see what did she sent me.

 

"Dear Darku,

I know I maybe this might be sudden, but I have decided that it about time.

First of all, I would like to thank you for all this we did spend together—I was a very happy girl to have met you.

Unfortunately, because of the work I can't be playing this new MMO with you honey.

I have been going through changes, things are new for me and it's hard. But I was thinking about you,

and that alone gave me the strength to pull through. I miss you honey, I really do.

I really do want to say sorry and start again—I want to think there was something special between us to.

But that is now in the past, and I don't know if you feel in the same way. It's been this long.

 

Therefore, I think we should try to meet together, you know, not in VR. I attached my schedule,

be sure to tell me in advance if your pick a date. I will be awaiting for your reply eagerly.

 

Your pumpkin,

XXX"

 

Yes, that was definitely her, I could tell both from the writing style and from the picture attached. My ex was trying to pull me back into a relationship with her, it seems. She also sounded a little... how would you say it... apologetic? That is a good sign, for her, but it is also a bad sign, for me.

 

[Yes, thank you G1. You were always very helpful for me.]

 

[This unit accepts your words of gratitude. With Mission was accomplished, this unit will take leave.]

 

[Wait up! G1, there is still something I want to ask you.]

 

I clearly didn't want to leave things at that. First, I had no idea how Gee got my Ex's message. Second, I didn't want to answer that message at all. Third, I knew she would just message me again. And so on... there were a lot of reasons why I wanted to somehow talk it off with Gee, he's a good bro.

 

[Honestly, I'm in a bit of loss right now. You know my ex girlfriend right? I apologize for her really.

But it seems that she got your e-mail somehow?... Anyway, the problem is that I can't go back to that.

I decided to quit. There are reasons for that, I'm sure you can figure them on your own because I rather not...]

 

[This unit has limited mathematical abilities—it would be difficult to comprehend the reason fully.]

 

[That's fine too, I don't want to ask you for something impossible either.

It's my fault and my problem, so don't think too hard. Also, your voice improved right?]

 

I decided that it would be the best to change subject, too much of that would fry my and his circuits or something.

 

[Understood, this unit will initiate the analysis program. Loading data... loading complete.

Comparing the voice function between the old version and the new version... Accessing prognosis.

Unit Darku who is lacking the prime directive is lost in thought, made mistake. Voice program was not changed.]

 

The prime directive that Gee was talking about was his connection to the past and belief that in life, nothing ever changes. It was a mix of determinism and existential crisis that made him this way. I can't say he is wrong, I respect his ideology and can see its merits. It's just that I don’t want to simply accept nothing can be changed.

 

[Eh, give me a break. It's been a while, but then again this game might be different.

I mean, the voice program and all... but let's get back on topic. We both know very well,

prime directive is something that you really adore, but I had decided against it lately.]

 

It was a short while ago, that I have decided to cut my connections with the past me. I know how much I was stuck in the past, unable to move forward in life or in my relationship. This is why I decided to play this game, to have a new start, even if this game feels... strangely nostalgic.

 

[Affirmative, this unit was simply trying to give options to the quandary unit Darku is facing.

The logic was, prime directive did never betray this unit, thus was considered as an answer.

However, due the lacking process power of this unit, there was no better assistance it could provide.]

 

[Yea I know, like I said you are always helpful. I don't think it's the three robotic laws either,

you are just that kind of person. Let's just say, I will think about this okay? Collect and exchange data with others,

having a good time, just playing this game, and stuff. You are free to join in too, I guess.]

 

I didn't know to put in better words, I was just tired about this, and wanted to put that letter away. However, it would return to me at some point, so that wasn’t really a solution either. Finally, if I wasn't mistaken, I already told someone else that I will be coming. I think it was about time I would...

 

[Sorry G1, I gotta go. We can talk about the past and this later okay?]

 

[Acknowledged, this unit will do in accord of unit Darku's wishes. May we meet again at better circumstances.]

 

Thank you gee, I will be fine now. Others are waiting for me, and I should be able to catch up with them eventually. I also don’t feel like telling them about what happened here, so for now I am going to remain silent.

 

===

 

We reached the top of the stone wall. I was tired from climbing, but at least we left the sand behind. I took my shoes off and shook them, trying to empty it from sand. Luckily the game was not as realistic, no sand was stuck. Looking at the distance, we were on a hill with thick vegetation but lacking in density of trees. There was also...

 

[Do you guys hear a river too? There must a source of water or something right?

Yaa, I would totally want to try a cup of fresh mountain water right about now.]

 

While stretching her arms Titania informed us of her discovery. I am not sure about the taste of water but...

 

[Right, if we follow the river downstream, we should be able to reach the ocean.

Once we get there, we just need to follow the coastline to the north to reach Maremoda.

So then Wolf, now that we arrived here, is if fine for you to come with us?]

 

Initially I had plans to check something in this area. This information came from an unknown source online, so there was no credibility it was true. I was probably the first one that will be verifying it. However, since this somehow was a small detour, the girls agreed to tag along, I was somewhat glad about that.

 

[Yea, don't worry.]

 

[Then I will gladly enjoy your companionship along the way, Wolf.]

 

She was definitely being a little formal about this. I didn't know much about Maremoda, but that sounds like a place that girl would like. I wonder if I could find something useful there too...

 

[Wait a second, someone is over there in the bushes.

Who are those guys? They don't look very pleasant.]

 

Titania was right, there was certainly two guys hiding in a bush over there. Those were not berry pickers—they looked like bandits waiting for someone to pass by. We were still far away from them, but we could hear them, just a little though. I pointed my hand to the ground and the girls hid in the grass with me.

 

[Hey, Wolfie, what's the plan? Why don't we just talk with them?

You don't think they would jump us and ask for money, don't you?

We could totally kick their asses without breaking a sweat, right bruh?]

 

The knight's usual charm shined again, the tendency to charge at enemies as soon as she saw them. At least she was patient today, learning from her past mistakes I presume. Still, the current situation, we didn't know who those guys were, what where they doing here, and if there if any extras are around.

 

[We stay and see what they do. Then we will move.]

 

I said ever so calmly, knowing that they would not probably attack us. I carefully surveyed my surroundings again. There were no traps or anything dangerous. I could only faintly hear a voice from far away. It sounded like it was in the directions those crooks were looking. Thus, perhaps there was someone else there too.

 

[Okay, I sent a message to Darku, saying that he should wait a little.

I also told him to be ready at all times, because things might suddenly change.]

 

[Yea, Daki would ruin this cover if he suddenly appeared here.]

 

But at the same time, we were not making progress. The two hidden men were not moving any time soon either. We could be here for a while, and I wasn't the most patient person in the world. I had to make a move soon, or my wild instincts would take over. Fortunately, it seems that their time was up—they moved out the bush and...

 

[Hey there, could you guys help? I think we go lost or something,

could you tell us the fastest way to the nearest town? Pretty please?]

 

They started talking with two girls further in the distance, which were wearing white and red clothes. From this far I could only guess that they were cosplaying as shrine maidens or something. It is strange though, shrine maidens here? And why the bandits? Something was really fishy there, so I signalled my party to advance.

 

[They are to no good, let's move.]

 

As us three approached from the bushes, we attracted the attention of the crooks. They didn't look very pleased to meet us. The two cosplayers on the other hand were quite surprised and confused about what was going on. I didn't know what was going to happen next, so I watched closely for any signs of aggression. However...

 

[Hey there guys, having fun? I know what's fun,

let's fight! I can take scum like you alone, come at me!]

 

[This is uncalled for, Tania. Those people were just trying to be nice,

I believe. There is no need to be hostile now, but you had the right idea.]

 

[Right... you guys are scary, you know? Sorry for that.]

 

As if someone would believe a girl who came out of a bush, and with friends.

 

[Ah... okay no worries there.]

 

They were clearly trying to leave, so in a way I think we accomplished what we wanted here. I had nothing to add, the girls handled this situation.

 

[Anyway, there is this one town—you should follow the river down to the sea.

Then you can follow the coastline to the south and you will reach it.]

 

[Sure, thanks... Good day to you then ladies, we be taking our leave.]

 

And with that, they left and were no longer a problem. You meet people like that sometimes—you just have to learn how to deal with them. Luckily that alone is not hard, as presented here.

 

[Hey... wasn't that north? Anyway I guess its fine either way.]

 

[Right, next time let’s just fight them first!]

 

That’s not the way Titania...

 

[Ehehe~ just joking, no need to make those kind of faces guys.]

 

===

 

[Thank you dear adventures, thank you very much.]

 

[Yes, thank you... very much.]

 

The shaman girls thank us, each with bowing many times. I wonder what they were doing in a place like that.

 

[So, I wonder if we could have just take them on alone, but its fine either way right?]

 

[Yes... it's okay because we are strong.]

 

[Say, maybe we should introduce ourselves first, right?

I'm the older sister, Hinakon, but everyone call me just Hina.]

 

The older sister introduces herself. She had a fox accessory attached to her hair, fox whiskers on her cheeks, and fox ears on her head. What she was missing was a fox tail, but overall her voice matched her cutesy attire.

 

[My salutations... this is indeed my twin sister, Hina.

I'm the younger sister, Pina. You guessed... I'm a cat.]

 

Their twin resemblance was striking, they both were short—both had long black hair and miko outfits. The difference with Pina was that she had cat ears and whiskers instead of fox ones. She also had a yawning voice.

 

[Yes you are~ Now why don't you come here so I could reward for your bravery?]

 

Before we could react, with an alluring voice, the older sister called her sibling for a series of pettings. Using the purely affective, not sexual VR gesture, much like the gesture I saw yesterday at night, the two girls used both hands to pet each other's heads mutually. Somehow only WRose ended blushing.

 

[Sorry... we are sisters after all...

at least I'm used to those things...

In any case, what can we be of service for you?]

 

[This was... quite a spectacle for me. I understand the sentiment,

but I'm not antiquated well with the VR technology, so please don't mind me.]

 

The tiny Wizard was still a bit flushed—she couldn't keep up with what was happening to her lack of knowledge about technology.

 

[Yea, I saw this in an online video. It's really fine Rosie, don't blush.]

 

[On top of that, you know, those things we are wearing, *wiggle wiggle*

in this game they are actually interactive. You can feel like a real fox girl!

It's really amazing, you guys should try it sometime too, right Pina?]

 

[Yes... my sister is best petter in this world...]

 

Anyway, we are getting off topic here. It seems that if I don't take over this conversation, we are going to be absorbed into something I would rather avoid. Thus, I exercised my lips and spoke.

 

[Besides that, what were you guys doing here?

Do you have any idea who the other guys where?]

 

[Oh you want to know about that? That's very simple,

me and my sister were trying to find a location to build a temple.]

 

[Yes... before we say more, do you guys know about Lunar?]

 

Lunar... that name certainly did ring a bell. However, if I were to choose, I would rather remain silent. This is because I want to hear more about what those two know about Lunar. As for my party members, the girls also remained silent. They probably had no clue about who is Lunar. And so, the shaman girls spoke...

 

[Lunar is the moon goddess of this world. She blesses us with the moon's grace,

shows us light in times of dark, smiling gently without saying a word. From time to time,

she sets down on a night of full moon, and gives people a message. Maybe, during one night...]

 

[Yes... she is a very beautiful and kind woman that has also a very cute fanart,

Usually... she in shown in with white hair long, wearing a white dress and a lunula.

But, I love drawing her in a bunnysuit, although there is no official art that support such...]

 

[Thus we decided to open a shrine and sell our merchandise to the world!

I'm more of a 3d model person, but my sister covers the 2d. Her art is cute, go buy it!]

 

Right... I think this was a good place to do business, but moreover, their information on Lunar was rather lacking.

 

[Lunar huh? This is the first time I hear about her. Could you tell me more?]

 

I decided that it would be best if inquire them more. I thought that they know something specific about her, but...

 

[Wow, a real god? She actually exists right? That’s quite cool!]

 

Titania interjected before letting the sisters speak.

 

[Yes, she is very much real, that’s what the Shrine Maidens would say.

Though seriously, that's more or less what we know, she is a huge mystery.]

 

[Yes... she is elusive, but to say you the truth, this place...

you can clearly see the moon's reflection during the night.

Which is why it feels like a perfect spot for a shrine right?

I knew it… My sister had the right idea from the start….]

 

That's about all that they could muster huh? Well, I was satisfied. I confirmed something I learned before, thus I was set to move towards the lake, my original destination, if that place actually had a connection to the moon...

 

[Right, we are going to check it out. You guys, thank you for the info.]

 

I waved at the two shaman girls and advanced towards my goal. WRose and Titania followed me, saying their goodbyes as well.

 

[Hey, come back any time! By that time, we should have a larger shrine here,

and a smaller at the lake opened soon. You won’t be able to miss it!

Also, if you are interested, you can friend us if you want a notification!]

 

[Be sure to buy a lot of merch... from our online shop...]

 

[Yes, I will be gladly give a look, thank you Hina and Pina.]

 

[Right right, you girls, good luck! And... just don't talk to strangers!]

 

And with that, we will hopefully reach our destination soon. About time too... I wonder what was Darku doing all this time? But then something else surfaced as well, the idea to share information with others about something too peculiar to be the truth. There will be time for this... I hope.

 

===

 

The sun set and it turned night. We travelled for a while now, and fortunately we did manage not to get lost. Additionally, the moon light was bright—you could easily tell it was in full bloom. Just as we arrived near the lake, we saw yet another moon swimming on the surface. It was silent, not even the wind waved that image. It was of course, just a reflection.

 

[So what did you want to visit this place, Wolf?

It... sure is beautiful here, silent yet charming...]

 

The small girl holding her dress down, squatted a little and touched the surface of the water, then reluctantly retracted arm, shaking it briefly. Her hand was retraced as soon it touched the cold water. The ripples left behind echoed reaching the moon eventually. Now the reflection waved, slightly getting deformed and returning to shape. There was also another sensation I felt...

 

[This must be the place... I can feel it.]

 

I reached into my inventory for a certain item, the one that was the cause of the sensation earlier. It was the Word, [Feather], which resounded at the same time the moon's reflection was affected. I placed it on the surface of the lake, not knowing what to do exactly, and waited to see if anything happens.

 

[Huh? I could tell that something was fishy about this moon,

but why the Feather Wolf? How does that even make sense?]

 

[I'm not sure... It's just what I felt doing.]

 

And on top of that, why only I had noticed anything? Wasn't this strange to begin with? First the bird boss, that wasn't supposed to be in that dungeon, and now this lake, that’s somehow connected to the [Feather]. If I wasn't alone, I would probably say I was hallucinating or making things up. But the thing is, I wasn’t...

 

[I trust Wolf... I think he knows what he is doing.]

 

[But but...! I mean this is so random, don’t you think?

Should we too do the Feather thing with you Wolfie?]

 

I couldn't tell if that was a good idea or not, but as time moved by, the [Feather] did not. Thus I allowed them to try as well, thinking that something might be happening if I they do.

 

[Well fine, just ahead I guess.]

 

With my confirmation, both of the girls placed their [Feathers] on the surface of the lake. Still, nothing unusual happened. This was a problem—I had to figure what I was doing wrong.

 

[I'm sure there is a trick to this...]

 

[How about we push them towards the moon?

It kinda looks like a boat or a lantern...

Maybe we have to send it to the moon?]

 

[Like a festival for Miss Lunar? Ehehe~

but I'm not wearing a yukata and everything.]

 

[That's not important, Titania.]

 

But WRose was right—my [Feather] reacted to the moon being affected by the ripples, thus we should somehow try to move them towards the center of the lake.

 

[Okay, go! Look Wolf! It really does float like a small boat!]

 

The three of us pushed each one's [Feathers] and directed them into their new destination. Slowly, they swayed from side and side, leaving small waves as they moved. Their speed was gradually increasing, as if they were being drawn into by the current. As soon as they touched the moon's reflection...

 

[Look, something is happening! Wow, what is that?]

 

Our [Feathers] started to glow. They shined with a familiar, moon-like light. Swallowed the items we used, a small whirlpool appeared in middle, growing and gaining momentum by the second. I could only watch, hoping we would be able to somehow retrieve them. Others stood astonished as well, watching with vigilance.

 

[This looks dangerous, let's stay put and observe,

we don't know what are we dealing with here at all.]

 

But as we did, the whirlpool only gained in size. I was almost engulfing the entire lake now, and we didn't know how to stop it. As things were appearing more intense, I thought something dangerous would have happen, however...

 

[Look! It's opening!]

 

In the middle, just at the same spot were the moon was reflected, the water parted. It formed a small hole, which was only getting bigger and bigger. It was a scene that could not happen in reality, I couldn't believe it myself. However, as much as this was a festival for our eyes, our legs were shaken both by the view and by the sheer force.

 

[This... must be it. We have to jump!]

 

I said without thinking much of the consequences. I knew that if we didn't take the chance, a second one would not surface. I nodded to my companions, and they nodded back. We were doing this.

 

[Here goes nothing!]

 

[Fall damage don't be cruel!]

 

[Don't let go of my hand Wolf!]

 

And the three of us did a daring stunt, not knowing if we would survive or what awaited us down the hole.

0