=== Chapter 4 [Hole]
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=== Chapter 4 [Hole]

 

I opened my eyes, finding myself in a dark place. The air was ominous and humid—I could only breathe ever so slightly. Above me, a faith glowing light that illuminated my footing. I was standing inside a deep reaching cave, just a step away from the chasm. Not knowing how deep it went, I froze in place, carefully examining my surroundings. I didn't know where I was at all.

 

And then, something in my memory flashed. Just a few moments ago, I jumped down into a hole with my party members. Was I separated from then? I thought with a bit of gloom. Just recently, I found myself doing things I don't normally. I was a long time solo player, but now after adventuring with other people, I started to miss them ever so slightly.

 

Suddenly, another light sparked in my vicinity, a brilliance of dancing lights that I knew well. Though it was calmly warm, I imminently recognized its source. It was a little girl that I met purely by a coincidence. Even though it was still quite dark, I could see her faint smile. That's all I could see. Was this the happiness I sought? Was this worth giving up freedom?

 

[Wolf, are you all right? This is pretty deep, this hole.

I remember falling down after that thing happened...

Anyway, it appears to be some kind of cave system.]

 

[Yea, it a cave aright, but I have no idea where we are either.]

 

Both WRose and Titania appeared to be safe and sound, I was glad to see them make it as well. However, in our current situation we should be careful about our footing. Thus before doing anything...

 

[Watch out, one wrong step and...]

 

[Ah, yes I should have a touch or something,

It's more effective than using a skill.

Let me look... oh there it is. I'm going to light this up.]

 

As WRose ignited her touch, we saw the bigger picture of where we were. Behind us, there was a depression that was quite deep. In front of us I saw several cave formations, paths and a small silent pond. Although, the rocks were damp and cold to touch, it looked like we had to climb up.

 

[Come on, we have to climb, there's a path there.]

 

I pointed with my finger. Others followed me, watching their footing as well.

 

[Ah! Do the cave rocks always must be this so cold and wet?

I know this is just a game and you don't get actually tried from climbing,

but come on! This just doesn’t feel right… Why would they do that?]

 

There is a reason for that—it is basically how this world works. When you touch something, when you take big damage, those things happen as naturally as possible, in spite of game mechanics. Thus, even if something doesn’t feel good, it is done on purpose. You just have to bear with it.

 

[Well... I don't mind this feature, climbing in VR actually does feel good.

It’s just we are doing it in a very unsuitable place. Outside would have been nicer for sure.

But in any case... I have been wondering about this whole moon on the lake incident.]

 

[Right... I personally have no idea either, Wolfie how about you?]

 

Indeed I knew something they didn’t—it was information that is available only in certain parts of the internet. Additionally, I am not usually willing to share it with people, but I thought that in this case it would not be a problem. The girls now where a part of this, and I couldn't keep them confused. Thus, although reluctantly, I spoke to them…

 

[Firstly, do you guys know how Synapse works?]

 

They shook their heads, they didn't know anything.

 

[So to explain briefly, when the device is operational, it sends the information to your brain.

The signal itself is quantum coded, what that means is that even if you were to intercept it, you would not be able to read anything.

Thus knowing what actually happens in the game is up to your imagination. For example...]

 

As we reached the top, I showed both of the girls the screenshots I took of the whirlpool earlier. WRose was shocked see that, Titania, on the other hand, was searching something, away from keyboard.

 

[There... is nothing there right? I'm not seeing things? But... why?]

 

[I assume it was Synapse that made us see things—it's the same thing as those "Ghost AIs"]

 

[Wait, "Ghost AIs"?]

 

The little girl asked curiously. My knowledge of them is limited, and it comes from anonymous sources. They are generally called gods, ancient humans, or “Ghost AIs”—the name is different depending on source, but they all refer to the same thing. Those beings act in mysterious ways, appearing before players and leaving them messages that no one was really able to understand. However...

 

Because several people did experience their influence, or at least claimed that they did, it was possible to give them identity. The most prominent of them are: Karma who punishes evil players, Ares who heats up conflicts between players, and the most mysterious of them all, Lunar, who seems to come from the moon with an important message.

 

Because of their nature, they can't be screenshooted. The only documents of their existence are witness' reports. That’s how I learned about the moon and the lake. It is my personal curiosity to research those things by all means.

 

[Yes, for example Lunar or Ares... “Ghost AIs” is one term people gave them.

If you ever meet one, you are definitely going to know it was them.]

 

And then, Titania finally was back to the conversation.

 

[Wow, you guys are also glad that nowadays VR display can be turned off,

without taking the whole thing down? I looked at the screens and…

Well they show nothing, are they like broken or something?

We all definitely saw that thing right? How odd, this Ghost AI thing...]

 

[But why “Ghost AIs”? Is there a reason for this name Wolf?]

 

[Probably... no reason.]

 

Unless, you think about it yourself. It’s clear that the idea of AIs comes from what happens to players after they log off. However, no one controls those “Ghost” ones—not even devs—hence the name. As people say, devs don’t play.

 

[Anyway... can we leave this place? It is giving me the creeps.]

 

Yes it’s time Titania.

 

===

 

We advanced through the unknown caves, looking for the exit, but we were not able to locate it. The air was still ominous, as if someone was watching us the whole time. WRose also tried to contact Darku, but it seemed that something prevented the transmission. We might have been in an instance, or something.

 

[Teleport Stones do not seem to work either, I already tried mine before.

Wolf, do you think if we logout, we will be put outside of here?]

 

[I don't know...]

 

But something told me that it was better not, because we would never know if we could ever go back. Thus, I decided to stay with the girls and kept moving forward. There was no point in further discussion.

 

[Though it is better that we stay, I think.]

 

[Right... who knows what kind of place this is.

I think it might be a dungeon, but I honestly don't know.

Tania, maybe you have an idea? I'm just asking out of curiosity.]

 

[Correct, I have no idea. But hey, don't worry Rosie,

just stay behind my back. If you want I could hold your hand...]

 

Suddenly, before Titania could finish her sentence, there was a loud thud coming from further in the cave. The formation we entered was getting tighter and the celling was just right above my head. If we suffered a cave in now, we would likely get trapped. I'm not sure this was an event or...

 

[Hey, something is wrong! Everyone get ready.]

 

The knight took out her sword, and readied it to take a blow. I and WRose did the same, looking around us and awaiting signals from Titania. Concentrating our attention to the slightest of sounds, I had the feeling that there something in the dark there. If those were monsters, we were ready to take them on.

 

[Nothing here Tania, should we move slowly forward?]

 

Suddenly, before Titania could decide, the source of the sound became clearer. Above our heads, a swarm of bats rushed through the cave's corridor. Following them, a few bigger and nastier looking, wall crawling bat monstrosities advanced at our position. In an instant we were surrounded, we had to act quickly.

 

[I take the big guys, you deal with the smaller ones!]

 

The tall girl shouted, as she charged towards the bigger bats. As for me, I had to protect WRose from harm. Fortunately, because the corridor was not as wide, I was not a problem for me. I dashed to the nearest one, spinning around with my Katana, hitting them all at once. WRose followed with her own AoE. We were doing fine.

 

On the other side, Titania tried to gather all her foes together, in order to damage them all at once. However, because of the ferociousness of the monster bats, she was pushed into a corner and had to play defensively. As soon as we finished here, I thought, we should be able to help her. Nonetheless, things didn't go as planned.

 

One more hidden adversary appeared from the shadow. It was a fast and deadly gargoyle that swiftly charged at the tank. Titania had to block its initial attack, and then teched its grab. Knowing so, she was able now to counterattack with her own. While performing her combo, I quickly dashed to assist. And even though we managed to kill it, Titania took too much damage.

 

[No, Tania! Hold on there.]

 

However that not the only surprise, there was another assassin gargoyle waiting for us. It charged at WRose. I had no choice, I was compelled to counter its dash with mine. Doing so, the monster and I meet in combat. But now, I had to deal with not only with that gargoyle, but with all the monsters that Titania had aggroed.

 

It wasn't long before I was surrounded. Even if WRose supported me from a distance, the damage was not enough. After using my Backstep and Katana draw, I ran out of defensive cooldowns and space to dodge. I got staggered, took a few more painful hits in the face, got grabbed by the gargoyle, and then thrown onto the ground.

 

[No, not you too Wolf!]

 

WRose was the only one left. Luckily, she knew what to do. Instead for waiting the monsters go to into her range, she rushed to them, damaging them with her usual skills. Furthermore, when her Gas Form’s duration was over, she instantly teleported away, and continued attacking the enemies that were slowed by her Ice Cloak.

 

As soon as they closed on her, she summoned a circle of energy that surrounded the monsters, trapping them inside. Afterwards, a huge brilliant beam erupted from her hands, taking down all of the weak bat monsters. One monster still remained. The Gargoyle rushed at WRose, aiming to finish her off. However, it stopped at the barrier she erected, hitting it again and again.

 

As soon as the barrier fell, and the monster broke free. All that time it took damage from WRose's beam. But now, she couldn't afford standing still, she had to intercept. Luckily for her, she had one important skill ready. She summoned a lighting that pierced through the monster, paralysing it in air. She continued her combo until...

 

[Okay... Tania, hold on I'm coming!]

 

The battle was over, with the second gargoyle falling to the ground. With it out of the picture, WRose was able to recover me and Titania. I will admit, she learns quickly for a new player.

 

===

 

After that encounter, we healed up and moved forward. Fortunately, the exit was not far from where we did battle. There was an opening through which light came. As we approached closer, a beach coast entered our vision. Stepping outside of cave, the entrance behind it disappeared, as if it was a dungeon door. Furthermore, in the distance we saw…

 

[Hey! Look Wolf, this must be Maremoda! We made it!]

 

With excitement, the little girl jumped in the air. She was however intercepted and grabbed in the air.

 

[Hooray! All thanks to you Rosie!]

 

The two girls snuggled tightly, they both were quite happy we made it somehow. I gazed upon the city—a tall mountain that dominated the horizon was the first thing I saw. Before it, buildings in warm marine colours, stacked on one another like a set of very steep stairs. Below, a beach and few inviting restaurants, open to the public.

 

[Wow this is really amazing! It's really like I read about it.

This city was created by the players entirely, its gathers traders and artists.

On top of that, there are no other entrances that the one at the coast.]

 

So that means, if anyone would try siege this town, they would have a hard time. One, because it's narrow, second, because you are constantly forced to go up. Whoever thought of this location, they had to have that in mind. Usually the bigger cities in this world have to have massive defensive structures, this might be an exception.

 

[So what do you wanna do guys? I gotta do something,

so I will leave you two lovebirds alone alright? See ya!]

 

[Right... see you later Tania! And thanks.]

 

WRose waved at the knight who had to leave for some reason, though I do think this was done on purpose. The tiny Wizard was visibly anticipating my company, shyly edging closer to my side. I replied her plead and took her by the hand and said in a calm voice...

 

[Hey, anywhere you want to go?]

 

She nodded and we where off. Passing the beach we climbed a round staircase and continued on a steep walkway. Entering deeper into the city, each street was full of fashionable people, each corner filled with many various shops,  Everyone smiled, from the players to the AI controlled NPCs. WRose, albeit a little blushing, she smiled back at them.

 

I stayed calm and stoic, like a bodyguard or an older brother. I bet people looked at as we were a couple. Then WRose entered a store, it had a selection of various clothing for both men and women. Everything was really stylish, like things you would wear for an important dinner. The girl was looking for something specific, while I stayed outside.

 

[Here, Wolf could you try this muffler.

I picked something that would be fitting for your outfit,

since you can dye this item in any colour you like.]

 

Indeed, if I would wear this, instead of the fur on my coat, I would probably look a lot more handsome. But quite frankly, I don't think that would be any of use for me, since accessories in this game don't give stats.

 

[Yea... I think I will pass on it.]

 

With her head down disappointed, WRose took back the item to the shop. We visited several other places, and she asked me to try on other clothes, but they were too much for me. It wasn't simply my style to dress up fancy.

 

[So Wolf, I can understand that you want to uphold a certain fashion sense,

but I do think you would look good in this jacket. Why not trying it on?]

 

The girl's unconvinced voice reached me. I answered with a silent no of my head.

 

[I see, how about...]

 

 I wasn't really a model or anything, but I liked the clothes I was wearing. They didn't give stats but at least they looked cool. I also asked WRose if she didn't want something. She answered...

 

[No, I just wanted to return the favour... remember the time we were shopping at the desert camp?

I'm still wearing that hair band you picked for me, I was thinking of imbuing a word into it.]

It's really cute don't you think? Anyway... just tell if you find something you like.]

 

I picked that for her? Maybe? I don’t remember clearly.

 

[I don’t mind it... but there is a reason why I don't like shopping, you know.]

 

And it seemed that was the last time the little girl tried to give me as a present. I might be picky, but if there is no reason to pick fashion over stats, I won’t spend my money on useless things. That is just how I roll.

 

[Hey Wolf... can you tell me if I did well during that fight?

I was really worried that we were all going to die, but in the end...]

 

She changed topics, probably because once she read that I wasn't interested in shopping, she thought a guy like me would be more interested in gameplay mechanics. The truth was that she was actually right.

 

[You did well WRose, in combat you can't really predict everything.]

 

But instead of cheering her up, she sulked and sank her head into the cotton cardigan she wore.

 

[Is that Cardigan of yours comfy?]

 

I tried to cheer her up.

 

[It’s technically a shrug... but call it whatever you want.]

 

At least I tried.

 

[So Wolf... for you, I'm just a player right?

I'm sorry, I should have had thought that from the start.]

 

And then, without a word, WRose left to somewhere, while I just stood there, deep in thought. I regrettably made a mistake, I thought, but I couldn't bring myself to fix it. The reason for that was...

 

===

 

So here is the situation. When I came close to the party, WRose told me to not approach them for the moment. There was a long silence afterwards and the three of them disappeared from being online, as in physically in the world. That could mean two things, they either entered a dungeon or they went offline.

 

Currently I saw them entering Maremoda, so I teleported there. I guess I will have to ask them just what happened. However, I know that people have different reasons to why they are playing this game, so I don’t mind. If they had a good reason to leave me behind I'm sure we can come to an understanding right? I sure hope so.

 

As soon as I materialized at the teleportation square at Maremoda’s beach, someone asked me a question.

 

[Hey, do you know a player called Wolf?

If so, could you tell me where I could find him?]

 

A small boy kindly asked me a question. He was dressed in black, much like the Wolf I know, but had short pants instead of long ones. Concerning his question, I certainly did know a player named Wolf, but I didn’t know where he was currently. Thus I replied.

 

[No I don’t sorry.]

 

Without another word, the boy left. Who was that guy? Anyway, I looked around. There was a bunch of people everywhere, as always, but also a very particular scene attracted my attention. I spotted Titania sitting in a cafe with a guy. That must be her boyfriend or something, I thought. Without making fuss, I hid myself behind a wall and eavesdropped.

 

[Hey, Robie, what do you want? I would sure go for a chilled cake.

I heard like they actually explode in your mouth or something!

Man, the food in this game is great, don't you think so darling?]

 

[Of course, as long as my sweetheart craves it. Let me call a waitress.]

 

Yes, they were dating, and yes I was spying on them. The man was looking pretty well dressed, and luckily he was facing the other way. If anyone of the two would spot me it would be probably Titania.

 

[So anything interesting happened lately?]

 

[Nothing that I can say was interesting. I am starting a job,

in real life that is. Above that, it was a pretty boring week.

And how about you sweetheart? Did anything special happen?]

 

[Not especially, I'm still just a reserve at my club, you know.

The exams are around the corner and stuff... things are pretty sad.

However, I have new friends online now—we did a dungeon and things.

If anything I can hook you up if you want to tag along. They're solid.]

 

Oh, so they know each other in real life too? I don't mind another member, not that I'm the party leader anyway. She also said that they did a dungeon. That could explain why I couldn't reach them. If that's all then, I'm relieved. I should probably just go around and see others… but I kinda want to see what happens here as well.

 

[I will think about it sweetheart, but I will probably be busy.]

 

[That's fine right? You can come at any time, don't worry.]

 

After that there was a brief silence between them two, they were looking away from each other too. I had times like that with my girlfriend too, the ex girlfriend who wants to me to return to her side. In any case, the maid carrying their order made an overdramatic show, almost dropping it three times.

 

[Ehehe.... thanks for the wait... here's your order.]

 

Of course in VR you can't actually drop and spoil food, but stuns like that are supposed do liven up your day. That’s costumer service for you or rather Se-VR-ice.

 

[Thank you! If we need anything then...]

 

[U... Understood.]

 

After pretending to be embarrassed that she almost failed at her job, the maid left them two alone. The two started digging into the frozen cake, exchanging their experiences.

 

[Umm... this is quite goood!

It's like eating ice cream and cake at the same time!

Quite amazing, don't you think Robie?]

 

[Right... I agree, this is delicious sweetheart.]

 

But not sweeter than you sweetheart... is something you are supposed to say in a situation like this one, right? That's how I could tell, ever from far away, that this date wasn't going anywhere. Why do I ever care, I don't know.

 

[So hey, we should do something like this in real life too, darling.

You know, I think we should meet more together more in general.

I also think that things might not be perfect for us both, but we should try.]

 

Titania closed on the boy, gesturing with her spoon as she spoke. As she finished,

she readjusted her sitting deeper into the chair, waiting for her boyfriend to reply.

 

[You see... as much as this is fun, I can't really do that.

I want to create a future for us both, somehow, so please believe me.

If I find some time I will let you know okay? It's just lately...]

 

[Yea I know things are hard... I'm really trying too, you know that.

That's why I can understand that you are really working hard and all…

But that's all you have been saying. Should I trust you this time as well?]

 

Titania stopped, as if she was trying to conceal her temper within. She was just slightly annoyed, at least that how she looked. For me, this was enough. I already know where this is going.

 

[If you do understand then... look sweetheart I'm sorry.

Though, I talked with friends, about their relationships.

They said that this is normal, that online thing stuff kinda happens.

When I get my first payment we will go somewhere, don’t worry.]

 

I looked away and left. I could not bear to watch this anymore. In fact, it reminded of my previous relationship. Perhaps if I were to go back in time and fix things... but that was impossible now. I'm sorry my love.

 

===

 

Pitter-patter... a small girl was travelling down the road. She carried a small item in her hands.

Click-clack... her tiny boots made a sound echoing against the walls, as she climbed the lonely stairs down.

Tap-tap-tap, the sound resonated with increasing frequency. Where was the girl running to and what was she thinking?

 

[Hey Rosie, why the sad face there huh?

Oh... I see, something happened at your date too?

That thing you are carrying? I guess he didn’t want it?

Don't worry, men are like that, they come around in time.]

 

The little girl watched with silent eyes as the tall knight tried to comfort her. She did not reply, nor did she make a move after turning towards her companion. Was she too scared to say anything? Or perhaps she couldn't understand what was her friend saying? Without the little girl taking action...

 

[Like in Wolf's case, he might be a bastard, but he is a good guy, I know it.

So if you like him, and I assume you do, you must be the one who’s in control.

Take me for example—I'm tanking that relation, both online and in real life.]

 

But the white wearing girl didn't absorb those words as an advice. Instead her fist clenched, putting the item back into her inventory. She became frustrated, unable to put her anger into action. Instead, to mollify it she clutched her shrug tightly while speaking…

 

*Tap tap tap*

 

[I'm fine... Wolf is someone that... won't change that easily.

So I have been wondering... Tania, do you think Wolf would accept a gift,

if I imbued it with a word? I am not sure how to do it, so I thought I would...]

 

[Yea that won't work, you can't trade imbued accessories.

Sorry, but if you really want to give him a present how about...]

 

Before her friend finished her sentence, the pink haired girl raised her other, unclenched palm. That was enough for her. The blond hair girl, concerned about her friend, moved closer and looked directly at her green eyes. They were trying to avoid contact, to ignore this confrontation. They also carried a sliver of doubt.

 

[First of all, I do appreciate the thought Tania, I really do...

But allow me to say, you might not understand the whole situation here.

Because of that, I want you to leave me alone... I don’t think anyone can…]

 

The tiny wizard girl, who became more and more emotionally drained, could not release her inner feelings. There was something in her eyes now, some liquid that was forming. Even this was only a video game, were those tears actually real? Why was she sadden this much? Noticing the tears, without thinking the little girl’s friend snuggled her.

 

*Tap tap... tap*

 

[But I told you... I don't say that because I feel you can't help me,

I just know you can't help me. *sob* Therefore, it is better this way...

Please trust me on this. *sob* There is definitely no better way... *sob*]

 

[Hey, don't you cry... for example, today I got in fight with my boyfriend,

but I know in the end things will change for better right? I will be there for you.

And most of all, Rosie, a cute girl like that shouldn’t cry like that, right?]

 

But instead of calming the girl who cried, it made her push the female knight away. It was a gentle push, one that wouldn't made her trip. Not explaining her behaviour, the petite Wizard ran away, still crying slightly. The other girl didn't chance after her, she knew that at this stage she wasn't able to understand her. Does anyone know what the girl was thinking?

 

[Gosh dang it, that girl... what was on her mind anyway?]

 

There is one person that does, only person in the world. Yes, that person is me, because I'm that little girl.

0