ARC 2-Summoner’s Revenge-Part 16
7.9k 47 319
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Of course. The Guiness Company is prepared to offer you 700 gold crowns for your map and guide with ownership and distribution rights.”

Hooh. Have to take a deep breath there. Seven hundred gold crowns. That’s enough money to make my head spin. But…compared to the vast ocean of the Guiness family funds, it’s nothing. More importantly, they’re offering it for complete ownership of the map.

As much as I want that money, and I’m practically drooling at the thought of it, that map is worth more. Not now, while it’s unknown. All it takes is one successful adventurer party. Kierra’s enlightened me about the resources in the Enchanted Forest. Combined with what they can get from the beasts inhabiting it and securing a route to the elven nation…

“That map is worth 1,500 gold crowns at the least.”

Maxine’s smile doesn’t waver but there’s a new tension in the air. I don’t blame her. 1,500 crowns are enough buy, build, and operate a small village for a year. “That’s quite an extraordinary amount, Lou.”

“The forest is an extraordinary place.” I put my map and guide on the table. “Take a look at what’s in there. Some of those plants are organic gold to potion masters and those alchemists will sell their newborns for new beasts.”

“Ah. Perhaps. After all, they have to be researched. We won’t be able to make a solid profit unless we determine their uses which will require a significant investment. Not to mention the investment required to ‘encourage’ adventurers to explore the area.”

“It may take an investment but it’s guaranteed to pay off. Adventurers will naturally flock to the area, especially with profits guaranteed by the Guiness Company. They wouldn’t be adventurers if they didn’t. Not to mention that if they don’t, you have enough knights to send them in to gather the materials for you.”

She chuckles. “A fair point. However, plus one thousand is excessive no matter how you look at it. You may think we pour gold down our drains but that is quite a large amount of money and it will take years before it really shines.”

“It will. But by the time people finally become familiar with the forest, you’ll already have established routes, hunting areas, and market prices. More importantly, you’ll have first crack at establishing a base that’ll lead to the only road between the human and elven continents.”

Maxine’s smile widens. What, did you think I didn’t know why you wanted this map so badly? Relationships between humans and elves may be terrible now but Marquis Guiness seems intent on changing that. Should they ever improve, whoever has control of the Enchanted Forest and its surrounding area will make an incredible amount of profit. Thinking about that, 1,500 is a little light but it’s fine. My map doesn’t include everything. That’s where Guide to the Enchanted Forest Part 2 comes in. Hehe.

“1,500 is still a bit much. I’ll offer you 1,250.”

“Hey, now. I was being generous. I should have asked for 2,000.”

“Raising your price in a negotiation is bad form, Lou. 1,350.”

“Too bad I’m not an accomplished businesswoman like yourself. You should take my original offer before I say something really crazy like 2,500.”

Maxine’s lips twitch. I can’t tell if she’s amused or annoyed. “Very well. 1,500. You can leave the materials with me. A courier will be sent around to your place with the money or you can have it in bonds.”

I hand over the materials. No need to worry about the Guiness family cheating us. As a national entity, they can’t afford to mar their reputation. “Bonds? What’s that?”

“It’s a new system we’re trying out. Gold coins are cumbersome and merchants carrying them can be robbed on the road. Rather than that, we hand out bonds, signed by the recipient and stamped with their House’s crest. It can be handed in to any of our main branches and exchanged for either the money or the goods. It’s both safer and more convenient.”

I grasp the concept but something tells me I don’t quite understand how powerful it really is. “I’ll take it in gold.”

“Very well. I also want to discuss the Guiness Company hiring you, your wife, or both of you as guides for our teams.”

“Ah. Before that…” I reach into my knapsack and pull out another stack of papers, handing them over. “This is a list of materials I need. You can deduct the cost from the payment.”

Maxine takes the papers and looks them over. “Burning amber dust, petrified iron wood, half a dozen cores of pink passion fruit. These are quite random objects.”

“They’re components needed for a summoning.”

Her eyes shine. “I see. Perhaps that’s why you’ve been absent from the recent gatherings?”

“Yeah. The next time you see me, I’ll have a new companion at my side. It’s going to be…interesting.”

She chuckles. “Then I look forward to that. As you seem busy, we can revisit the talk about guides.” She stands up and I follow. This time when I stick out my hand, she doesn’t hesitate to grasp it firmly.

“Mm.” Kierra sets down her cup with a clink. “Max, add a bag of that tea to your list. No, two.”

Max? Since when were the two of them so close?

“Something as small as that can be tossed in for free.”

…should I be worried?

“Then we’ll take off. No need to escort us back.”

“I’ll get started on this. Please, take a look around our shop. You can tell the shopkeeper when you’re ready to leave and he’ll have a carriage pulled around for you. A dinner is scheduled for tomorrow where we’ll be discussing organizing a party together at the Guiness manor. Should I expect you?”

“How quickly can you gather these materials?”

“Since they’re not too rare, tomorrow morning.”

My eyes widen at the announcement. She smirks at me. “The Guiness company’s warehouse is not to be underestimated.”

“Good for both of us. Though I don’t think I’ll be at the dinner, if the party isn’t planned for too soon, I’ll be there. Suppose a week will be long enough.”

“I’ll make note of it.”

There’s a beat where I wait to see if there’s anything else forthcoming. When she doesn’t speak, I hastily leave the room, waving at Hank before jogging down the stairs. My first business negotiation. I don’t think it went too badly. More importantly, my summoning will be happening sooner than I thought.

Fu­­­u~ How exciting.

Yeah, Lou is terrible at negotiating (she doesn't negotiate). Good thing she had something the golden family really wanted.

goPEINV.png

319