Arc 3-Initiate-Part 4
6.6k 11 288
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our journey to the Grand Hall begins in the morning. I’ve had a good time preparing for it; trying to figure out Kierra’s designs and failing miserably, taking advantage of the Guiness Company’s impressive warehouse with Maxine’s ‘friend’ discount, catching wild horses to pull our carriage. Good times…

And because a cloud always passes across a clear sky eventually, there were annoying things to deal with. Marquis Guiness isn’t the only one who wants to deal with Kierra. Every day, we find someone lurking about. As long as they don’t come too close, it’s easier to let them go but it’s a bother to pretend that we don’t notice them.

It’s even worse when they try to make friends. They don’t have any good opportunities since we don’t participate in any of the normal noble hobnobbing so they have to force it. It’s always awkward and brief, but they can’t seem to get the message.

The most annoying of them all is my own family.

Since the demise of Grimoire Senior, the Tome family has become far more involved in the social maneuvering of nobility. My relationship with them is still a little tense. Not so much with my father and cousins but definitely with my uncle.

That man is spinning the story that he orchestrated the demise of the Grimoire family. Far more believable to the public than it was my doing. I don’t mind. He can do what he likes as he no longer cares about what I get up to.

Decorum demands he invites me to a farewell dinner. Decorum also demands I accept. As much as they annoy me, I don’t want to completely severe my connections with them.

Kierra told me before our poor relationship reflects badly on my own ability. I don’t have to like them to find a way to use them. Though I actually like Matt. He’s good people. Jac’s okay as well. For those two, I can make an effort. I also have a more important reason for accepting the invitation.

It’s an early dinner so the sun hasn’t fully set when we arrive. Passing off our carriage to a servant, I take in the place. There are more servants hanging about. Oh, they’ve hired a gardener. Someone’s cleaned up the mess of a front yard.

As I’ve taken notice of them, they’ve also taken notice of me. I stand a little taller, practically prancing down the hall.  A servant is there to guide us but I know the place well enough to ignore her and she has trouble keeping up with our fast pace, lagging despite half-jogging.

In no time, we reach the dining hall and I throw open the door.

The rest of the family is already gathered at the table. My uncle, Javarius Tome, is seated at the head of the table. Life has been breathed into the ambitious man’s pudgy face, his dark eyes bright as a false smile appears on his lips.

To his right are his children. First Matthew, who looks as calm as always. He’s a stark contrast to the wealth of the room dressed in peasant clothes. Not much call for fine clothing for a man who makes a living doing hard labor in the city’s construction crews.

Beside him is Jacquellin. Pretty as a doll in her white dress which brings out her mocha-colored skin. A much better performer than her father, her perfectly crafted smile usually spreads across her face the moment a viewer lays eyes on her but when she looks up at me, her features remain neutral. Someone’s not having a good day.

Father is on Uncle’s left, in a rare state. Like Uncle, he has an energy about him that was missing during my childhood and his social exile, but his gaze is faraway.

Should be an interesting dinner.

Uncle stands up as I step further inside. “Lady Atainna, Lou. So glad you could join us. Sit down, sit down.”

We’re starting from the start then? Addressing my wife before me is a miniscule insult but an insult none the less. A part of me hoped that the man might extend a peace offering. Oh, well. It was unlikely and anyway, this is probably the more amusing route.

I pass Bell to Geneva before taking the place next to my father, Kierra sitting beside me. I’d love to have my elementals at the table but its more appropriate for them to stand with the servants. Hah. To think Geneva, a seventh circle don and a being capable of leveling this mansion with a flick of her wrist, is being regelated to stand with simple servants.

It’s a little mind-blowing. Belolial is not too far off as a fifth circle virtue. She’s certainly a higher order of existence than my arrogant uncle.

A servant comes by to fill our cups with wine. I ignore it. Was a time when I was more than fond of drink but after drinking elven brew, everything else is disgusting. One of the few things I regret about my time there. Sigh. I have to get my hands on a brewer capable of rivaling that magical drink.

Uncle raises his cup, clearing his throat to grab the table’s attention. “This year has been a great time of growth for the family. Tomorrow, Lourianne sets off for the Grand Hall where her studies will add to the long history of our family’s excellence. You have our greatest blessing. A toast, to the future of the Tome family.”

The table drinks. I take a tiny sip to be polite, lips turning down at the taste. Hard to believe I used to enjoy this stuff.

Unlike Uncle. He downs his cup with a satisfied smile, a servant quickly moving to refill it. Food is served and I preoccupy myself with that for a while. The wine continues to flow and soon conversation picks up.

“Lou, do you know what you will be studying?” Uncle asks me over the rim of his cup.

“My spellcasting needs work but I am mainly going for research in summoning.” Father perks up at that and we nod at each other. After all, summoning is the one thing that we can bond over. That, and our hatred for the Grimoires but they’ve already been dealt with.

“My notes on third affinity thralls were well received so I’m sure to be given a good position.” That is not overconfidence. Not to mention the actual value of the paper, Marquis Guiness wouldn’t allow anything else.

“Ah. Studying and researching for years on end…the costs will add up. It might be a good idea to consider finding some work. There are plenty of shops in the Hall’s market. Your father did the same for some time.”

Did this guy just try to discretely say he’s not paying my fees? Screw you. I never planned on asking for your help.

Father winces. “I assisted other researchers as well. The pay was terrible but it was a good learning experience.”

Your expression doesn’t match your words. It’s easy to imagine. My father is a proud man. Having to work under anyone would chafe I’m sure, especially other summoners. I feel much the same way. Really, it’s just insulting. “No need to worry about that. I have a generous sponsor.”

“Oh?”

“Marquis Guiness.” I hold back a smirk at Uncle’s sour expression. The reason we were invited to the main house over the winter was because Uncle wanted to forge good relations with the powerful merchant family. While he had achieved his goal of social revival, his ties with the marquis hadn’t developed as he hoped. Wonder if he blames me for that. “He has generously agreed to cover any fees accrued during my stay at the Hall.”

“And why would he do that?”

“He was very impressed with my notes.” Stay out of my business, idiot. It’s got nothing to do with you.

“Good, good.” His eyes say he doesn’t believe me at all. “The Tome family being associated with the Guiness family is greatly beneficial.” Huh? The Tome family? It’s just me. You don’t know the meaning of shame to just boldly declare something like that. “It would have been great if I could have brought up marriage to one of his many sons but alas. Though we are more than fortunate. I have been in talks with Count Mareen about tying together our two houses.”

I wince. Uncle is tickled like a boy who just got his first sword but Jac’s face is harder than stone.

More than anything, she wants power as a ruling member of society. As a noblewoman, her power is limited, her future even more so. A sad fate for someone with her ambition. In my opinion, she’d be a better successor than Matt. Mainly because she wants it more. But unfortunately, the dreaded day of engagement has come before she could convince her father.

“Congratulations, Jac.” I smile brightly at her, chuckling at the way she holds back a frown. Is it wrong to enjoy her misery? Yes? Oh well. Already accepted I’m not a nice person.

Besides, I don’t plan to leave her in her misery so it’s fine to enjoy myself a little. “Finally, a prince coming to sweep you off your feet. There’ll be a pile of broken hearts in the capital.”

I’m not kidding. My cousin’s beauty and ability to handle people makes her very popular. Amongst servants, artisan apprentices, and city guardsmen, none of whom her ambitious father would let her marry even if she liked them. Takes more than a charming smile to impress a noble family, which is why her engagement has already been pushed off till her nineteenth year.

“Please, Lou. The engagement isn’t set in stone. Don’t jinx it.”

“Nonsense! It might as well be set in stone. It is only a matter of which son to give you away to!” Uncle laughs and Jac’s frown finally breaks free. Matt places a calming hand on her shoulder and it disappears. Look at that, sibling solidarity. Heartwarming.

Dessert is finished and the dinner ends. Uncle stands up first. “It’s been an enjoyable evening but I shall retire first. Lou, Lady Atainna, best of luck on your journey. Feel free to visit home anytime. I’ll be expecting letters.”

Haha! Uncle, when did you learn to joke? As if I’d waste the paper.

Shaking my head, I stand up with the rest of the table. Father faces me and awkwardly clears his throat to grab my attention. “My years at the Grand Hall were very formative. Pay attention and you will learn a lot. No need to wish you good luck. As a member of the Tome family, I expect you to show those fools the abilities of a real summoner.”

For a minute, I think he’s going to hug me but then he gives my shoulder one of his awkward pats. As expected. I’m a little disappointed but it’s also an act filled with familiarity. Ah, now that I’m on the verge of making something of myself, my old grudges toward him aren’t as sour.

“Ah, come here!”

I reach forward and wrap my arms around him, laughing as he stiffens. A quick squeeze and I let him go, giving his shoulder the same brief pat he always gives me. Poor man. It’s sad that you look so confused when your daughter gives you a hug. “I’ll see you later, Father. Look forward to what I accomplish.”

“Yes…of course.”

Shaking my head, I leave the dining room, my elementals falling in line behind me. I lean against the wall outside of the door, looking sideways at Kierra. “You were quiet.”

“Conversation is a bit tedious when the other party involved is mining my words for gold,” she says with a hint of amusement. “Besides, what would we talk about? Your family doesn’t quite share my interests.”

“And what are those? Hunting dangerous monsters, picking a fight with anything interesting, teasing people until they’re ready to explode. Yeah, not really activities appropriate for nobles.”

“Your forgot one, dedia.”

“Right. Sexual deviancy.”

“I was going to say teaching.” She smiles brightly. Heh. Well played. “Speaking of…” She reaches out and rubs my head, raking her nails over my scalp. “I see you taking my advice to heart.”

“You mean the thing with Father? Well, you’re right. No need to burn bridges, even if I never cross them. But you can forget about me trying to warm up to Uncle. That’s just not happening.”

“I agree.” Her eyes narrow with annoyance. “Chortling as he prepares to sell his daughter away like so much livestock. A disgusting practice your kingdom has. Tell me you plan to do something about this.”

“…you’ve really taken a shine to her.”

“I see potential in her. Some people are born to fight, some are born to lead, and some like her are born to…manage. And I admit, I’m a little more sensitive to her plight as she’s related to you.” She raises a brow at me. “Why? Were you perhaps jealous?”

No.

Not really.

Maybe a tiny bit. Come on, it was more of a reflex than anything.

I scoff to cover up my embarrassment, knowing for certain I haven’t fooled her. “To be clear, yes I do have a way to help her out. The plan is actually to throw some money her way and put some claws on her. Sure she can handle things from there.”

My wife gives me a look of exasperation and amusement. Before she can comment on my amazing plan, the door opens. Jac walks out, followed by her brother. I reach out and grab the siblings by their shoulders, making Jac jump. Nothing breaks Matt’s icy calm. “Hey, you two. How about we go for an after-dinner walk?”

Did anyone notice that Uncle Jackal kept messing up Kierra's name? Her family name is Atainna but, as they are the current ruling family, one is meant to address them as D'Atainna when speaking to a member directly. Marquis Guiness knew but her uncle doesn't bother to learn anything about Kierra. Little things to show his disregard for Lou. If you spotted it, good on you!

288