Arc 3-Initiate-Part 12
6k 9 297
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The employees here must go through rigorous training to always produce smiles like that. There’s no way they can be that happy all the time. It’s a little creepy but I smile back at the man. “Yes?”

“Lady Tome. Everyone is so pleased that you are staying with us. Lady Guiness has prepared a small gift for you.”

I sigh outwardly but, on the inside, I’m still happy. Maybe Kierra is right and I do have a weakness for being spoiled.

“If you would kindly step into the hall for a moment.”

“Sure.”

I step out of the room, looking around for this present. Thoughtlessly. I should have known better. Who makes a guest step outside to receive a gift?

The same time I see there is nothing in the hallway is the same time he makes his move. If I were any other young noblewoman, this would be the end for me. Good thing I’m a little more experienced than most.

More than anything, feeling something looming over me, I react. Movements compromised by my surprise, I stumble to the side and bring up my arms to guard against the incoming blow from my wife, remembering a second later that my wife is still in our room.

A second that costs me as the fake employee slams his shoulder into me, shoving me into the wall. I see him pull the knife from within his jacket sleeve and grab his wrist as he tries to push it under my ribs. Fire erupts on my hand as I hastily cast a simple spell. I wince, my poor control meaning I feel the heat more than I should. He doesn’t scream, simply gritting his teeth as he pushes harder on the knife.

“You’re crazy,” I bite out. I’m strong because of my constant training with my wife but not stronger than a fit, grown man. He pulls another knife with his other hand and brings it down, aiming for my heart.

I move closer to him, slightly ducking. The knife cuts me across the shoulder but I ignore the dull pain. Confident his body is hiding my other arm, I change the nails on my free hand to claws and cut him across the stomach.

He finally makes a sound of pain, arm losing strength. I manage to throw away the arm with the weapon and put my weight behind a punch, snapping his head to the side with the blow. His legs shake before they give up on him, sending my assailant to the ground. He makes gestures to move but is stunned, not to mention the blood quickly staining his uniform.

Clapping draws my attention back to the room. Kierra is standing in the doorway, wearing a small smile. “Congratulations, my love. You’ve just defended against your first assassin. We must celebrate tonight!”

“Coo!” Bell rushes over, leaping over the dying man to latch onto my leg. From there, she crawls up to my shoulder. The next moment, the pain from the cut I received and the burn on my hand disappears. [Are you well?]

“Just fine. Make sure that guy lives so you can rip out his secrets.” I rub my cheek against the imp before setting her next to the man, chuckling at the scowl she wears while healing him. Stepping past them, I lean my head against Kierra’s shoulder and let out a long breath. “Someone just tried to kill me.”

“I saw.”

“But why? I like to think I’m a friendly person.” The only people who have the right to be angry at me are the Grimoires and none of them could pull something like this off without my watchdog Fen sniffing them out.

“Someone is threatened by your recent accomplishments. It means you have been acknowledged by the powers that be, albeit the small ones. An assassin only wielding a dagger? Pitiful.”

“That was shocking.” Shocking, not scary. Besides the first moment when I’d been caught off-guard after falling for such a simple ploy, I didn’t feel threatened at all. Like she said, he had a knife. What is that supposed to do against any of us? “While Bell is handling my attacker, Geneva.”

She appears at my side, watching me with a smile. “Yes, Lou?”

“Go find Maxine. I want to know exactly how an assassin got into her hotel and managed to get up to my room.” This guy may not be a threat but what about the next one? Will I always have to sweep the room for danger before sleeping? If so, what’s the point being in such an expensive hotel?

As a place that caters to nobles, Golden Feathers has impeccable security. One of the few scenarios where I can see this man getting by is if this is another ploy of the Guiness family to get close to us. Help us find our enemies to get into our good graces.

Unlikely, but I will put nothing past scheming nobility. I hope not for her sake. I really was starting to take a liking to her. “Make her sweat.”

My succubus gives me a predatory grin, disappearing in a blink. The sound of struggles makes me look over my shoulder. Bell has a hold of my attacker’s wrists and is dragging the much larger man into the room.

“What a day.” After finally getting off the road, this evening should have been a time for relaxation and unwinding. “Did you mean it when you said we should celebrate?”

“Mm.” Kierra wraps her arms around my shoulders and nuzzles my head. “Assassination attempts are the mark of any successful leader. This is a glorious day, worth remembering. Maxine should be keen to make this embarrassment up to us. Perhaps she can dig up a drink that is not completely appalling.”

“Frickin’ elves.” Her cheery attitude about the mess saps the somberness from my thoughts. Before I notice, I’m smiling and I can’t stop. “Sooo, do you want to track down the mastermind, most likely a noble of at least some status to move in Guiness territory, before the semester starts or after?”

“Oh, most definitely after. As if they are more important than finding furniture for the house. I hear the artisans get incredibly busy when the students are about.”

“Ah.” Someone trying to kill me is less important than getting furniture…

I’m just going to take that as respect for my abilities. Yeah.

Haha, when your harem purposely lets an assassin ambush you to brush up on your fighting skills.

297