Arc 3-Initiate-Part 17
6.2k 2 283
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you're enjoying the story, don't be shy in the comments and leave me a rating/review.

Want to read +20 chapters ahead? Join my patreon!

Join the discord for announcements and extra lore tidbits! Reborn From the Cosmos

Our small vacation in Quest has come to an end. The new semester starts in a little over two weeks and Kierra is starting to get anxious about preparing our house. If I’m honest, I’m also a little sick of the Myriad Zone. I think the constantly shifting colors are giving me headaches. Something uncomfortable about opening the window to a different sight every morning,

The luggage is quickly placed back on the carriage and we move to the heart of the Myriad Zone. I’m expecting a suitably impressive way to reach the city in the sky, but no, there are simply more platforms. There is no need for several lines as by the city’s wall. There are only two; one slightly longer for normal visitors, the other for priority travelers. Both are relatively short.

At first, I think it’s because there aren’t as many people coming and going to the Grand Hall. That is proven wrong as a group dressed in silver robes tumble from the sky. My heart thumps loudly in my chest when I see them flipping through the air, ready to call out, but Geneva grabs my hand. “They’re fine,” she tells me with a smile.

They’re about to be smashed to pieces! Yet, with her bracing me I calm down enough to see that the people are slowing down. My eyes are wide open with amazement as they stop twirling through the air and gracefully land on the ground as a group, stirring up a strong breeze.

“They were flying. Haha.” Air affinity casters and good ones. No wonder the lines are small here. Most of the people coming and going from the premiere magic research center can probably travel under their own power.

Geneva lets me go. “Something you will also be able to do.”

I nod without taking my eyes off them. They look young, no more than five years older than me. These people would be considered my peers. Saints preserve me, I can’t help imagining how I would have measured up before Cosmo’s mercy. I’d be a laughingstock. “Were you around when people still worshipped the old gods?”

She chuckles. “You say that as if they have stopped.”

“Great. I need you to help me design a nice shrine and maybe a few custom rites.” I promised him a shrine and a shrine I shall give.

“I get to play high priestess again. How fun.”

Again? Ah, probably better not to ask.

Apparently, the Guiness family influence doesn’t extend to the Grand Hall. We have to wait our turn like everyone else but luckily, there is only one carriage ahead of us by time we line up. Their platform ascends and a group of armed guards approach. Wow, they’re all dressed in artifact armor as well. It’s not surprising but another reminder of the prestige of the place we’re headed.

I step out as an older man with a tired expression reaches us, another team moving past to handle Maxine’s convoy. He eyes me but it’s not the arrogant expression I’m expecting. It’s calm and maybe a little bored, a professional who just wants to do his job.

“Your pass, if you would.”

“Here you are.” I hand over the ornate card I received back in Summer Spire, a ticket representing my acceptance into the Grand Hall. The man takes it. In his hands, it starts to glow before words float above it. Should have guessed there was magic on it.

“Ah. So, you’re the one.” The looks he’s giving me is now tinged with curiosity and maybe a little apprehension. “Don’t look at me like that. It’s just that the bosses told me to keep an eye out for you, Lady Tome.”

He whistles sharply. With a soft chirp, a tiny bird drops down onto his shoulder, tilting its head. “Aurelius,” he tells the creature. With another cry, it ascends rapidly, quickly disappearing. “One of the teachers asked to be informed of your arrival and should be meeting you at the top.” He hands me the card back. “Keep a tight hold of this as it’s your key into the city.”

“Thank you.”

“Enjoy the Grand Hall.”

“Seems they’re excited to meet you,” I say as I climb back into the carriage. I just had a terrible thought. I’m going to watch a whole new group of men drool over my wife and these aren’t going to be as easy to scare off. Ugh.

“I’m looking forward to this. It’s been quite a while since I’ve had a proper challenge. Perhaps there will be something for me to learn.” She looks excited. This is good. I’ve been worried that she doesn’t have anything for herself. I love having her beside me but I don’t want her to become bored.

Halfway up, the air starts to shimmer, the strange colors bleeding away. I give a short cheer as I see a familiar blue sky. Never thought I’d miss it so much but it’s unsettling when I can’t depend on something that’s been a simple fact of life for years.

It takes several minutes before our platform rises above the edge of the land the Grand Hall sits on. I can’t help the loud gasp that slips out as I get my first look.

In Summer Spire, only the Noble Ring is truly remarkable, using stone over wood in its splendid architecture, well designed roads, and paint, something never seen in towns and villages. The Grand Hall puts the extravagant Noble Ring to shame.

Our rectangular platform fits itself into place that seems to be carved out for it, putting us in the middle of a wide courtyard made of gleaming white stone. On the far end are a group of the tallest buildings I’ve ever seen, each one the height of a noble’s mansion. All of them have glass windows, a luxury. One has an entire wall made of them, displaying what appears to be a shop that several people are walking in and out of. The largest of them has to be at least six stories high. Floating in front of it is a large blue circle, displaying ‘Welcome to the Grand Hall’ in bold letters on top of the symbol for magic. In the middle of the courtyard is a statue of a faceless caster wearing long robes, nine balls of light surrounding him representing the nine affinities.

The wealth displayed in this single area is already astounding and that’s without taking in the people, the most outlandish part. Some of them are quite well-dressed but all of the people I can see are wearing at least one artifact. Then there’s the flying mounts.

As soon as I spot one, I can’t take my eyes off them. Horses with wings. Lizards with wings. Lizards with fire on the bottom of their feet. A cloud in the shape of a bird. What is this? My heart is about to burst from excitement. They can tame manabeasts!? This is like a bard’s song come to life!

I wordlessly reach out for Kierra, pointing out the window. My request doesn’t need to be heard to be understood. First thing I have to do is get one of those. I really like that cloud thing. I wonder how soft it would be to lie on one of them. And what does a cloud eat?

Kierra chuckles as she takes my hand. “We shall look into it after we’ve seen the house. It would be a pity to obtain such a creature and have to keep it in some stable.”

“It should be fine. Marquis Guiness promised a generous residence.” And when someone as rich as he is declares something as ‘generous’, I think it’s fine to get my hopes up.  “But you’re right, it’ll take some time to learn about their upkeep. Horses can be a hassle if you want care for them properly. Can’t imagine how much more complicated it’ll have to be caring for a manabeast.”

“You don’t have to bother with something from here.” I turn to Geneva who smiles. “If you desire, I could tame any creature into a mount. Or shift into one myself if you’d prefer, though rapid changes would get tiring.”

“Coo!” [I am far better than those dumb reptiles.]

Oh, yeah. Sometimes, I forget how impressive my elementals are. “That’s a good point but I’d rather not tie you up like that. As you are now, you can move with me easily. Besides, you’re my best protection. I don’t want to do anything that compromises your strength.”

“As you wish, my summoner.”

“I do believe our escort has arrived.”

Our carriage has pulled forward into a small area that is reserved for waiting. This area doesn’t have much traffic so it is easy to spot the dot in the sky heading towards us. We all step out and prepare to meet our escort.

It doesn’t take long before the dark spot resolves into a man wearing a silver robe. He gently glides toward us before landing on the pavement without a whisper, stepping forward smoothly.

 

283