Arc 3-Initiate-Part 20
6.2k 11 284
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Grand Hall is strict on their new students, dubbed initiates. We are told what to do and when to do it. I understand. Students come to this place from all over. They have to be sure that everyone has the same basic understanding of magic before they’re allowed into the wider world of higher education. Doesn’t make my current schedule easier.

On the first day of the spring semester, Manaday, I’m up and moving as the first bell rings at sunrise. Heh. I can already imagine how some of the nobles who paid their way here will react to such a schedule but this is nothing. Kierra is used to moving about at dawn and I’ve gained the disgusting habit.

Five days ago, a runner came around to explain my responsibilities as a student and deliver my schedule. The schedule is simple but grueling.

First thing in the morning is a class called Mana Work I. Apparently, there is an entire discipline focusing on the study of the manipulation of mana within the body. Some masters can apparently wield pure mana though that’s not covered in the beginner class. Us new casters are supposed to be using the techniques to move our mana more efficiently and widen our mana pool.

Following that is Magic Theory. The runner said we explore all the different ways mana interacts with the world. Naturally. Not really sure what that means but I suppose that’s the point of the class.

Then comes the part of the day that I’m dreading. Foundation I. The biggest weakness of most casters is someone taking them down physically before they have the chance to cast a spell. Grand Hall casters are the best. They’d want to counter such a glaring weakness so initiates are required to train their bodies.

This is the class my lovely wife has been put in charge of as something of a trial run to gauge her abilities as an instructor. These people have put her in charge of a group of young, eager, and highly suggestible fledgling fighters and given her free reign.

Sigh. They have no idea what they’ve done.

Then there is time for lunch or more likely to allow us to catch our breath after the torture we’re sure to endure. Normally, all meals are served in the dining rooms of student dorms which are divided into the least expensive Bronze Dorm, the standard housing of the Silver Dorm, and the noble-fueled extravagance of the Gold Dorm.

It was made clear to me that I am allowed to dine at any of the dorms I wish. Obviously, I want to eat the best food available but having to deal with nobles is going to be tiring. I’ll try them all out eventually. And there’s always the option of having one of the two geniuses in the house pack something. Really starting to wonder if there’s anything the two of them can’t do between them.

The next two classes are the ones I’m looking forward to the most. Practical Magic that explores how magic has been integrated into society followed by Basic Spellcrafting, whose title is self-explanatory. The spellcrafting is really important.

I hate to admit it but my progress with Geneva is stalling. Without being able to just push the information into my mind, a compulsion that may leave me with ability but not the skill as Kierra puts it, she’s having a bit of trouble teaching me.

As in, she’s having trouble explaining the basics I need to learn because it’s the same thing as breathing to her at this point. Having someone else handle that part will finally allow me to start taking advantage of her knowledge, not to mention Geneva can learn by watching the instructors.

The last class is World History. Again, self-explanatory but the ‘world’ in the title has my hopes up. Are they going to talk about somewhere other than the Harvest Kingdom? I want to know what we have to say about the elves and Green Mountain.

It all starts with a quick meal. When I’m finished, I scoop up Bell and a small leather bag that I sling across my shoulder. It’s filled with bundles of paper, far more efficient pens with the ink actually inside them, and a small guide to the Grand Hall. All essential things for any initiate.

Kierra and Geneva are waiting for me by the door. My wife doesn’t have to leave yet and is dressed in her nightwear, eyes slightly narrowed with lingering sleep as she gives me a soft smile. Hah, now I don’t want to go.

“None of that.” She beckons me forward, cupping my face as she gives me a soft kiss. “Today is the start of your legend, hm?”

Damn right it is. Today is the first step of living up to Cosmo’s gift. The first step on the hopefully short road of beating Aurelius.

I straighten my shoulders, giving her a strong hug. Then I lift her out of the way, enjoying her chuckles as I spin her around before setting her down. “Out of the way, woman. I’ve got work to do.”

“Mm. I hope you’re so excited for our time together.”

I almost flinch. Almost. “Always excited for you.”

I dash out the door before she can break my cool façade, wearing a smile with her laughter behind me.

 

284