Arc 3-Initiate-Part 25
5.5k 7 282
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you're enjoying the story, don't be shy in the comments and leave me a rating/review.

Want to read +20 chapters ahead? Join my patreon!

Join the discord for announcements and extra lore tidbits! Reborn From the Cosmos

Alana and I drag ourselves away from the field as the bells toll the end of our ‘lesson’. Many students are struggling to pull themselves off the ground. Kierra’s lesson feels like it lasted for hours but we have other classes to get to. “You alright there, friend?”

She just grunts in reply.

“Better pull yourself together. We’ve got to do it all again tomorrow.”

“Saints damn that elf, you’re right.” Alana growls as she tugs her hair free and stuffs the tie in her pocket. “We’re going to die.”

“No, we won’t. Like you said, she’s powerful.”

“Hmm. Maybe this is how the Grand Hall does it. It takes considerable mental fortitude to be a caster, on the battlefield or off. Maybe this is their way of weeding out the weak-willed.”

I doubt it. This is definitely just my wife having fun at our expense. But good for you trying to take it in a positive light. I won’t be the one to disillusion you. Not yet. “Then that’s good for us because we aren’t weak-willed.”

“I think you should prepare yourself, Lou. She especially seemed to enjoy tormenting you.”

What, really? I wonder what gave you that idea. Was it when she threw the chicken blood on me to make the wolves single me out or when she strapped one of the helper’s armor on me to slow me down? “Nah, she just likes me.”

My stomach rumbles. “Ah, I can eat a horse.”

“Ah. I’ll be eating in the Bronze Dorm.”

Hm? What’s with the look you’re giving me? We had a nice friendly energy going on but the second lunch comes—ah. Right. The dorms are divided by social class. Eating in the Bronze Dorm means she’s on the lowest rung, either a noble with no status or a commoner with even less. Doubt she’ll be so comfortable around me if I waltz into the Gold Dorm. But the food there is likely to be amazing.

Decisions, decisions.

“…then shall we eat together?” Just for a day or two. It’s sad but I don’t want to give up the chance of making my first friend here.

The smile she gives me is brilliant, transforming her plain face into a pretty picture. “Great. Hopefully, it’s not as bad as breakfast.”

Well, that doesn’t bode well for the future. “I can eat just about anything.”

-

As expected of the Grand Hall, the area for the student dorms is quite amazing…except for the Bronze Dorm.

How in the world is anyone supposed to live in this dump? Pray for the saints cleansing light, the three-story wooden building is done in the style of military barracks with absolutely no color. Only the top floor has any windows, birds making their nests on the sills. Vines grow along the sides and the yard in front of it is infested with weeds.

Perhaps it wouldn’t look so bad but with the gleaming Silver Dorm and Gold Dorm wrapped in dancing magical illusions in sight, it just looks sad. And is it tilting a bit?

“…you don’t live here.”

I turn to see Alana giving me a look full of suspicion. “I don’t live in any of the dorms. My circumstances are a bit special.”

The tension in her shoulders eases. Oh, thought I was some high noble playing games with you? That’s definitely something they would do. I slap her shoulder. “Relax there, blondie. The last thing you need to worry about is me throwing some title at you when you least expect it. I mean, I’ve got one but it’s nothing extraordinary.” Yet.

“Forgive me. I’m rather the same. As in, my title is nothing to pay attention to either. After all, I had to come to the Hall on a scholarship.”

“Huh. You must be pretty skilled for them to pay your way.” I know exactly how expensive this place is as there was a time I planned to pay my own fees. She is very talented.

“Rather than skill, my benefactor is interested in my potential.” She clears her throat, trying to keep her face composed but her chest puffs out a little, showing her pride. “I have the light affinity.”

I come to a quick stop. All greater affinities are rare. As affinities are passed down, some families have a greater chance than others but for the whole of humanity, it’s like finding a diamond in the middle of the road. There’s a greater chance to be born with double common affinities.

Of those greater affinities, celestial is the rarest but second to it is light. Quick, versatile, and above all, powerful. More than that, light is the attribute of the first saint, Saint Executor, the man who slew the evil dragons. It has a special place in the hearts of the Harvest Kingdom.

Forget a diamond. With her value as a soldier, an idol, and a mother who has a stronger chance to pass her affinity on, she’s a xanderium mine. Whoever her backer is, they must be powerful. I wouldn’t be surprised if the king himself recommended her. Hell, if the royal family doesn’t know about her by now, they will soon.

“Poor girl.”

“Wait, huh?” Alana frowns. “That’s not the response I usually get.”

“Come on. Let’s get some food.”

Opening the heavy double doors of the dorm, we walk into a spacious lobby. There’s a large, curved desk in the middle with a dark hallway directly behind it and two staircases along its sides.

Behind the desk, a young girl looks up at us. It’s hard to get a look at her face as shaggy, dark hair covers her features. I know she’s looking at us from the way her head comes up. Knowing someone is watching you without seeing their eyes is a little unsettling.

Alana seems unbothered as she leads me past the desk and down the dark hall. After a few steps, I start to hear a commotion. Don’t tell me that’s the dining hall? “Saints, are there people in there or wild dogs?”

She snickers. “None of the people here had an etiquette tutor, heh.”

They sound like they need one. But I keep my comments to myself as she opens another set of double doors.

The dining hall is…efficient. Long, bare rectangular tables with stools for seats. On the far left are three of those tables with several pig pots stacked high and five tall stacks of bowls. Four older women with graying hair and stained aprons stand behind the table, serving those with bowls in their hands.

As for the students…all I can say is madness.

There is a clear divide. Closer to the serving table are the older students. There seems to be a majority of foundation acolytes here as they wear the same type of light armor as Alana. They’re more than comfortable, talking loudly with one another as they sit together in tight groups, some even forgoing the stools to sit directly on the table or hanging onto their friends.

Not too far away are the robed acolytes. One might expect them to be a little more subdued but no. If anything, they’re flashier with their use of magic and hot debates on spell theory. While we’re moving across the room, I jump away as someone uncomfortably close is smacked with a blast of wind that sends him tumbling to the ground, laughter erupting around him.

Alana ushers me to where the food is served, putting a tray in my hands and passing me a bowl.

“Erm, can I grab more than one bowl?”

“Trust me, you don’t want more than one.”

“I can handle it.”

“Suit yourself.” She puts three more bowls on my tray before I shake my head. When we reach one of the old ladies, she gives me a big smile missing half of its teeth. “Good to see a girl not afraid to eat. Here you go, you have enough until you’re full.”

“Thanks.” Lovely woman.

Alana drags me over to a table on the far-right side. Here all the initiates are gathered. I can tell because they seem just as shocked about the dining hall as me, though some have already acclimated, talking excitedly across their tables.

Our table is rather quiet. Let’s see here. Guarded, double-guarded, super-guarded, and someone looking down their nose at me. Wow, this is not a friendly atmosphere at all but I sit beside Alana.

“Everyone, this is Lou, one of my fellows. Lou, these are my hallmates. The brothers are Mike and Gabriel, the proud one is Abel, and the girl trying to pretend we’re not here is Marthe. Let’s all get along.”

 

282