Arc 3-Initiate-Part 36
5.5k 8 258
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My succubi weren’t intent on letting me get away anytime soon but the “fun” is interrupted by Kierra coming in and reminding me about my mission. After a short break to turn my brain back on, I shoo them out of the bedroom to get dressed.

Seeing as we’ll be mingling with high society, I go for something more upscale. If all else should fail, we can always move to some nice countryside and live off Kierra’s tailoring skills. I have no idea how she did it but somehow she wove a pattern onto a long sleeve shirt that looks like pages being blown across its surface. Paired with that same violet hue that reminds me of my benefactor, I think this may be my favorite one yet.

Nomad is waiting at the front with the carriage, looking quite spiffy in his uniform. The deep purple jacket really brings out the despair in his eyes.

Also waiting are my succubi. Geneva stands at the end of the steps with her knowing grin. Bell is now her lovable imp self and comes padding over to me, tail swishing behind her. At my feet, she looks up at me, the picture of innocence. “Coo?”

Sigh. As if I can resist that look. I reach down and scoop her up, holding her against my chest. I know she can hear my heart thumping. Saints preserve me, every time I hold her I’m going to remember that bath.

“Coo~” [Master Lou is delicious.]

“You hush,” I snap without any anger, flushing. I turn around to Kierra. “I’ll see you later tonight.”

She waggles her fingers from the doorway. “Have fun. And if you have to kill someone, don’t leave any evidence. I’d rather not have to leave this place just yet.”

-

We are the only carriage nearby as the rest of the guests already live in the Gold Dorm. I direct Nomad to pull around the side before we disembark. “You may be out here for a while.”

“Forgotten and alone. A fitting existence for myself.”

“Great.”

Beside its clear opulence, another clear difference in the status of the Gold Dorm is the security by the front door. I hesitate to call them knights, as they aren’t dressed in the signature full plate armor most wear and have none of the discipline. If I had to guess, I’d say they are older acolytes.

That can’t be real security. I mean, anyone confident enough in their ability to storm the Hall to go after these heirs can handle a few aspiring masters. Are they just here to make sure the riffraff don’t go where they don’t belong? So much for titles don’t matter here.

I feel the two eyeing me as I approach. I wonder, am I noble enough to pass their inspection?

Before I get my answer, a young boy comes running out of the building. Young is pushing it. He’s probably only a year or two younger than me but the baby fat is clinging to him, giving him a soft look.

He skids to a stop in front of me. “Lady Tome, correct?”

“That’s me.”

He gives me a hasty bow. “Young master Pottoculli sent me to escort you inside. If you would follow me.”

Jeez, how many servants does this guy have here? At least with him leading me, the doormen ignore me. The setup of the two dorms is incredibly similar. The front door opens into a wide lobby, this one decorated with several woven tapestries displaying the symbol for magic.

There are three doorways. The servant leads me through the one on the far right, which shortly leads us into a wide ballroom. A familiar scene of people mingling with the soft hum of conversation in the background greets me. Ugh. There’s no table for food. Instead, servants are walking around with trays carrying small snacks.

That settles it. I’m definitely not staying here a moment longer than needed.

Geneva. You know what to do.

[Yes. If I see him, I will let you know.]

“The young master is waiting for you.”

“Goodie.” Trying hard not to let how much I don’t want to be here show on my face, I follow him to the middle of the room. Peter is standing with a small group. From the way they all pay rapt attention to him as he weaves some mundane story, it’s clear to see he’s the highest ranking amongst them.

Noble faction, huh. The Tome family didn’t have enough status for any faction to take notice of us, but if we were to belong to one, with our long history, it’d be them.

Dodged an arrow there.

Peter looks up and notices us, instantly plastering a fake smile on his face. Like sheep following their shepherd, the rest of the group look to see what’s got his attention. I can feel them analyzing me. The noblemen seem curious more than anything. Two of the three ladies show clear disapproval, but one is openly admiring my shirt. You have good taste.

“Lourianne.” My escort bows away unnoticed as his master greets me. And since when are we close enough for you to use my first name? “I’m so glad you could make it.”

“Wouldn’t miss it.” I wave to Geneva and she hands me the gift. “A small token.”

“You needn’t have.” Peter’s smile is full of smug satisfaction. Hope he doesn’t think this little thing means I care about him one way or the other.

He might. Nobles’ egos make them prone to delusions.

He waves a hand and a servant appears to take the box away. “Everyone, allow me to introduce Lourianne Tome. Already an accomplished summoner and the spouse of Kierra Atainna.”

That got their attention. Everyone’s all smiles now.

“Ah,” one of the guys say while sidling closer to me. “I have heard of you but did not know your name. The elf who lives in the human continent is quite the talk of every house. I am—”

“Yes, well, she’s pretty hard to ignore,” I say right over his introduction. I grab a passing servant by the shoulder and pull them over, keeping them still while I grab several small desserts from their tray. “It’s only because it’s new. Once people are used to seeing her about the place, they’ll stop jumping out of their skins.”

“I don’t think so,” Peter says. “Your wife is spectacular in her own person but what has garnered so much attention is what she represents. A crossing of borders. Opportunity. I have heard historians have found accounts of all kinds of wonders within the elven continent.”

“Wouldn’t know about that. But hey, everyone’s free to make their way there. The Guiness Company has recently obtained a map of the Enchanted Forest which would prove helpful to any expeditions.”

“Courtesy of your wife?”

“Courtesy of myself actually, though I’m sure they’ll have someone else clean up the drawings. I’m not the greatest talent with a pen.”

[Lou. I have him.]

Where is the bastard?

[Coming straight towards us.]

 

258