Arc 4-Royal Pains-Part 23
4.4k 9 235
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you're enjoying the story, don't be shy in the comments and leave me a rating/review.

Want to read up to +40 chapters ahead? Join my patreon!

Join the discord for announcements and extra lore tidbits! Reborn From the Cosmos

“Um.” Saints. This took a strange turn. “Ten years? I rarely think that far.”

“You should. After all, everything we do today shapes our tomorrow. The carefree days of my childhood have brought me to where I am today, at the Grand Hall.” She turns away, eyes filled with an emotion I can’t make out. “A long time ago, I was brought to the royal palace to play in their inner court. With no thought of anything, I laughed and chatted with the royal siblings as instructed, following my father’s words to make friends with an innocent heart.”

She shakes her head before turning back to me. “We shape our own destinies, to an extent most are not aware.”

“Coo!” [Master Lou, she speaks of Samuel’s interest in her. He became infatuated with her as children and, because of his attention, she was meant to be his fiancé. However, since the king waylaid her father’s plans, she has become his eyes, her uncle Duke Rosefield paying for her to attend the Hall despite her mediocre talent. She hopes to find a powerful caster as a backer to secure her independence from her house.]

“Myself? I am here by circumstance more than what I can contribute to the kingdom. But it is a circumstance I am not willing to waste. I was wondering about you.”

Oh saints, is she eyeing me as a potential sponsor?

[Yes. She is curious as to why the elf is interested in you. Your charm is not a sufficient explanation. Though her interest is fleeting. I believe some humans call it fishing.]

“Well, if I had to say…in ten years, I will probably be off this continent, out exploring the world.” There. That should be enough to quell any interest in me. It’s not even a lie.

Ten years should be plenty of time to build up my casting repertoire. Then it’s time to see everything. First will be the Harvest Continent, to fulfill my promise with Alana. Then I’ll visit all the coastal cities and dungeons that bards sing about.

After that, I’ll have to go back to the elven continent. Explore all their provinces, see this clan of elves with succubi in their blood because of course, see that Sacred Tree, and duel my mother-in-law, preferably not to the death but eh.

Then, the world. I’ll go to Green Mountain and exterminate every troll in existence, in case my wife is still infatuated with them by then. See the Goblin Burrows that are said to cover the whole of the island. Maybe Jac’s little adventure will be ready or even completed so I can see the mysterious Tome family homeland.

Go to the Dragon Isles because dragons. Who would turn down a chance to see the creatures hailed to be the strongest in the world?

Not to mention all the other places. While in the Dusk Province, Kierra showed me a map. I’ve heard that in the kingdom, maps depicting the whole of the continent are exceedingly rare. The Guiness family must have a map including Green Mountain and the Dragon Isles, and they keep the secrets of their trade routes close. But this map…it showed landmasses I’ve never heard of, not even legends. Entire peoples and places lost to history after the Great War that divided all the races.

Talk about an adventure.

Ack! Hey, hey, why are you looking at me like that? Her eyes are practically shining. That was supposed to make you less interested in me!

“Truly? I had heard you were quite close with the Guiness family. Do you hope to join their expeditions?”

“Coo coo.” [Haha! The girl sees you as a gold mine now, Master Lou.]

Stop laughing, imp! You’re supposed to stop me from making critical mistakes like this!

[This will guarantee that she becomes close to you and invites you into their inner circle. Is that not what you wanted?]

Cheh. Damn elementals and their superior logic. I suppose this is a good thing? Sigh. “Perhaps, though my options aren’t limited to the Guiness family. I am married to an elf who can successfully cross the Enchanted Forest. The first place I would want to go is there.”

“It would be an incredible journey, I’m sure.” Something about the way you’re smiling at me makes me think you want to be invited. You’re not. Ever. Even if—

[Master Lou, Prince Samuel is heading this way.]

Damn! I don’t need to run into him again before Cecilia has a chance to work on him or this will all be meaningless. Not to mention I just don’t want to run into him, period. Time to make a quick getaway. Bell, quick. I need an excuse—

[That won’t be necessary.]

“It seems like our time is up.” I look over to Cecilia and see Fina straightening up. “My servant has told me that Samuel is on his way to visit. I don’t believe he’d take kindly to you being in my chambers so it would be best to make a quick exit.”

“Of course.” We stand together. “I enjoyed our talk.”

“Surprisingly, I did as well. Perhaps we will have chance to repeat it.”

“I’d be delighted.” Not having to force my smile at all, I give a quick bow before escaping the room.

[Hide around the corner.]

I follow her instructions then shift my ears to that of a wolf, wanting to know if we were spotted. Thankfully, I hear when the prince comes around the opposite corner. He’s muttering to himself but I can’t quite make out the words. What’s he saying?

[He is practicing asking Cecilia out for a trip to the market. Ah. Before, I was only able to pick up his random lustful thoughts but it appears the prince is in love. How amusing.]

For some unknown reason, my stomach sinks. I have a terrible, unfounded, and illogical feeling about the future. One I can’t pin down so I shove it aside. Today was a good, productive day. I won’t let some boy’s crush weigh on my mind. “Tell Miss Talia we’re coming to see her.”

 

235