Arc 4-Royal Pains-Part 25
4.5k 7 229
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you're enjoying the story, don't be shy in the comments and leave me a rating/review.

Want to read up to +40 chapters ahead? Join my patreon!

Join the discord for announcements and extra lore tidbits! Reborn From the Cosmos

I smile smugly as I enter the Gold Dorm’s dining room carrying Bell, Alana tense at my side. It’s not that I don’t trust Cecilia’s invitation but if something were to happen, I want some muscle with me to make sure I come out alive. Unharmed would be nice too.

It’s easy to find Prince Samuel and his entourage. They have the largest table, close to the windows so they can watch those coming and going. The prince is seated with Cecilia on his right and Browyn on his left. Marcus and Fina stand behind their respective owners.

My smile stretches wider when Marcus notices me. He steps toward us with stiff shoulders, drawing the attention of the table. “To dare defy His Highness, you have no shame. This time, we will not be so lenient. My prince, please give the order and I will be happy to remove this offensive woman from your presence.”

Prince Samuel is more than happy to give that order but before he can, a pleasant voice interrupts. “I hope you wouldn’t do something as crude as throwing away one of my guests.”

Marcus turns, face pure incredulity. “Lady Rosefield…”

She giggles. “You heard me correctly. Be a dear and move aside. Lou, you can sit next to me.”

“Thank you.” I slide by him and take the offered seat. Alana grabs a chair from an empty table and drops between me and Browyn. The two of them eye each other, coming to a quick accord as they turn away at the same time. Two of a kind? Browyn, that is several points for you.

This is a very important lunch. Not only is it a chance to get this rabid dog of a prince off my back, I also have all the likely suspects involved in his assassination in front of me. No better chance to get to the bottom of this mess.

Do a good job, Bell.

“Coo!”

“Your imp is quite adorable,” Cecilia says, eyeing Bell with a small smile. “I had thought summoning a barbaric art of courting monsters. Perhaps it requires more attention.”

“Summoning is an amazing art.” I reach up and rub the base of Bell’s horns, the little imp rubbing against me to show her pleasure.

“Some would say it is an art used by the incompetent,” Prince Samuel snipes.

“Some. The way of the caster is self-improvement. A summoner permanently inhibits their mana pool to secure the cooperation of another being. Giving a piece of themself to make someone else stronger. It doesn’t sound appealing at first but as nobles, you should know the power of cooperation. A group is often more productive than an individual. Different skillsets coming together to form a greater whole.”

“Yet we wouldn’t be here without the great king who conquered this continent and the saints who have defended it.”

“Ah, yes. The first Harvest king who fended off the other races, securing a home for humanity. Powerful he was, but he knew nothing of the land he found. It took the expertise of others in different fields to cultivate the land, build his cities, and lay down his roads.” Let’s not mention how the Tome family summoned elementals who helped with that. Might be pushing his belief in his almighty ancestor. “It takes a nation.”

“Both valid points,” Cecilia says. “Lou, you seem quite passionate on the subject. I think this is the most I’ve ever heard you say.”

“What can I say? It’s my family’s legacy. I am a summoner, through and through.” Only subject I have complete confidence in. Ask me about the benefit of marrying commoners into the main family, management of territories, or politics and I’m lost. Talk to me about the different planes of existence, the benefits and costs of contracting multiple elementals, and how elementals have affected the development of the kingdom? No problem.

“Do you plan on studying summoning here? There is an entire building dedicated to it.”

“Indeed. There is a great amount we can learn from the planewalkers.”

Samuel snorts across the table. “I wonder what your thrall has been teaching you.”

“Geo is very knowledgeable about many subjects. For one, she is the chef you are interested in, Lady Rosefield.”

“What!?” Cecilia moves her chair closer. “Amazing! Is it a technique from her world?”

“No. That is the beauty of summoning. We, humans, are not the only summoners. It is an art that has proliferated through many realms. Geo has been through several planes, taking prized knowledge from each one. With their ability to shapeshift, succubi are some of the most successful planewalkers. She is a veritable font of information. That is why I formed a contract with her.” I hold back from glaring at the prince.

“You must bring her around to teach Fina that technique. I would be quite grateful.”

“Excuse me, Lady Rosefield,” Marcus says, coming off his wall. “That would hardly be appropriate.”

“Be careful.” Her voice gains a trace of admonishment. “One would think you were trying to besmirch the character of one of your betters, an action hardly fitting for the servant of a prince.”

Chastised, Marcus steps back. “I would never.”

“Coo~” [The boy did not like that. Humiliation brings all kinds of nasty thoughts to the surface.]

“I didn’t know the two of you were…so acquainted with each other.” Prince Samuel looks between Cecilia and me, his frown steadily growing. That’s not good. I’m supposed to be making friends.

“I believe we got the wrong opinion of her,” Cecilia says with a bright smile. “What happened with Peter was a shame but we’re all prone to our spats. His shame is truly his own fault, falling apart like that. If Lourianne was from a more notable house, you would have lauded her handling of the situation. I, myself, am tempted to recruit her for the family.”

“You flatter me.” Oh saints, don’t make me reject you.

She chuckles. “Don’t worry. You are on to bigger things, aren’t you?”

The servers arrive right on time to give me an excuse from answering. As we all place our orders, I look over to Marcus and Fina. Standing a distance away, trying to keep neutral expressions with hungry bellies while their owners order up a feast. At least, that’s what I’m imagining. Am I correct?

[Fina is off in another one of her daydreams. Marcus is ruminating in his bitter thoughts. Ripe for the picking.]

Mm. Then let’s shake the tree. “What about those two?” I say gesturing toward the servants. “There’s room enough at the table and they have to have lunch too.”

Cecilia sighs. “You really are carefree.”

“A servant doesn’t eat at the same table as their master,” Prince Samuel says. What’s impressive is that he doesn’t sound haughty. He says it with a bland tone that tells me it’s not a personal belief but just how the world is. Like the sky is blue and grass is green.

“Oh, come on. We could be a little flexible, couldn’t we? It surely isn’t a matter of status. Marcus, I’ve heard that you’re the son of Marquis Ferraro? You probably have better table manners than me.”

“It’s not about blood,” the prince continues. “Things are done a certain way for good reason. Servants must stay in their place. They will be fine.”

[Such delicious anger.]

I shrug. “As you say, Your Highness. You must know best. I notice someone from your group is missing. A flashy fellow?”

“You must be talking about Julius,” Cecilia says. “I wouldn’t group him with us. He’s far too much of an insect, intent on latching onto Samuel and draining him of every drop.”

“Merchants are all the same,” Prince Samuel says. “He is better than most though. Unlike those Guiness peacocks. Peasants who think gold can rival the years of history and service of the great houses.” He gives me a nasty look. “The Tome family shares in that history. Someone of your lineage should know better than to mix with those gold-grubbing pigs.”

“Oh, I don’t know about that. Anyone can be friends under the right circumstances. Boundaries, that’s what important. As you said, people must learn their place and there won’t be any problems. I’m sure you have a similar understanding with your merchant…friend.”

His glare eases a little. “Hmph.”

“You’ve yet to introduce your friend.”

“Ah, I’ve been remiss.” I clear my throat. Alana gives me a look, likely sensing my mischievous intentions. I ignore her, of course. “This is Alana James, a great knight-to-be wielding the rare and awe-inspiring light affinity. I’ll have you know my wife has taken a personal interest in her development and her eye for ability is never wrong. We have become good friends.”

Heh. That got them interested. Alana shifts in her seat. “Lady Rosefield, Prince Samuel, thank you for allowing me at your table.”

“You’re quite welcome.” Cecilia is eyeing her. “James. I am surprised that I haven’t heard of you before now, what with your talent.”

Alana clears her throat. “I was engrossed in my training. My goal is to push north past the Bleak Peaks to claim the northernmost corner of the continent for the kingdom.”

“Ambitious.”

“Another militant fanatic,” the prince sneers. “There is nothing past those mountains besides cold and ice. Sending an army up there to fight the horrendous creatures that thrive on death and winter winds will do nothing but waste money and lives, like it has for years. Fort Victory was built to protect the kingdom, not to wage the James’ family private war.”

“Those who go past those mountains are the best and the bravest,” Alana retorts, steel in her voice. “You would rather the strongest knights in the kingdom stand around with their swords hanging limply? Going out there and fighting manabeasts is what makes Harvest knights great. If you are here, you must want to improve yourself. One day, you’ll have to do the same thing. You would be smart to have some of those ‘militant fanatics’ at your side when you do.”

I blink at her. What happened to my cool-headed friend? The one who always tells me to stay out of trouble? Saints protect her, does she just lose all common sense when something she cares about is attacked? I owe her a drink when this is over. The sour look on Samuel’s face is priceless.

[Give her two. Thanks to her outburst, I know the boy’s plan.]

Maybe a kiss, too. I swear she is determined to make me fall for her. It’s not good for my heart.

“There is no need.” The quiet Browyn speaks up. Oh, he’s got a nice voice. Deep but smooth. “I will protect the prince from all threats.”

He glares at Alana who sighs. “Forgive me. I didn’t mean any offense, Your Highness.”

“Hmph. If your house insists on madness, feel free to throw your lives away. I object to sending members of the Harvest Royal Knights along on your suicidal quests.”

“This conversation is much too dour!” Cecilia proclaims. “We are casters of the Grand Hall, forsaking our familial duties to pursue greatness in the art of magic. There’s no need to divide ourselves on politics we have no part in. You all should be indulging in our fleeting youth. Except Lou, perhaps. She is far ahead of us, having already married. What do you think of that, Alana?”

Hey, what are you trying to say?

My friend also catches onto her insinuations, snorting in a disinterested way. “I have no idea how she managed to seduce Teacher but they seem happy enough. I can only hope to have a relationship like theirs.”

Aww. “Course you will.” I pat her shoulder. “Any man would be lucky to have you. Or woman. No need to limit yourself. You too, Lady Rosefield, if you haven’t been engaged already.” I wink at her.

Across the table, Samuel chokes on a sip of wine, hastily covering it by wiping his mouth. He shoots Cecilia an incredulous look that makes her laugh. “No need to look that way, Samuel. While I find Lou’s proclivities amusing, I don’t share them.”

“Shame that.” With the information I need in hand, I can finally relax. Who knows? Cecilia is not bad company, Browyn seems a decent sort, and Marcus is forced to keep quiet. There’s a chance I could enjoy this lunch. Maybe I won’t regret getting involved in this mess.

 

229