Arc 4-Royal Pains-Part 38
4.7k 8 233
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My plan to let my innocence spread in my absence is a failure. I arrive a little later to Mana Work, I blame the late night, and the group collectively rears back at the sight of my succubus. Mano seems ambivalent, giving me his usual serene smile.

Alana breaks away to stand at my side. She gives me the same “tell you later” look and we settle in for the lesson. After almost an hour of death glares, we’re finally released and she drags me away.

“So, what is it this time?” I huff in frustration. “Haven’t they heard that the grandmaster, Dunwayne himself, found me innocent?” Really, what more do these people want or need? If I were them, I’d be running over to beg my forgiveness if there existed so much as a chance that I could be connected to the most powerful man in the kingdom, barring the king, and that is only in importance, definitely not in strength.

“They’ve been whispering again, yes.” Alana runs a frustrated hand through her hair. Oh, has to be bad if she’s starting to look stressed. “I haven’t heard anything about you meeting Dunwayne. That actually happen?”

“Yeah.”

Ooh, just a hint of envy there. Don’t worry, I understand entirely. “Well, that’s not what people are talking about. They’re saying that your wife got you out of trouble with the Hall because they want connections to the elves and that the prince has sworn vengeance. If you were bad to be around before, you’re absolutely hazardous now.”

Ha. Ahaha.

Of course.

Fuck this.

“Fuck this,” I spit out. “And fuck that prince. This is why I hate, hate royals. With their stupid hair and stupid importance. Goddamn impotent, uptight, little bastard!” I continue to insult the second prince as I stomp toward our next class, stewing in my anger as I endure a lecture on mana in Magic Theory.

Not even Kierra’s training is enough to calm my ire. I take the projectile evasion training with a scowl. Dodging arrows with only a small buckler for protection only fuels my anger and by the time we’re done, I’m practically spitting fire.

Probably not a good idea to go the Gold Dorm. With a prince out to kill me, it’s a good way to get into trouble, and with the way I’m feeling, I might give him the fight he wants.

So, we slink off to the Bronze Dorm. I’ll deal with this tomorrow when I can think about Samuel without imagining punching him in the face. Right now, I just want to get something to eat, finish the day, and sit with my wife on our balcony.

Entering the dining room, we get the same treatment as before. As in, the room recoils away from Geneva when we pass. Your stupid suspicions alone, I’m not leaving her home. With Bell away protecting Max, she’s my only protection now, so they’re going deal with their irrational fears that I’m poking through their irrelevant lives or magic is the reason they’re getting a hard-on for the succubus.

All I want is to get the food down me but it’s immediately apparent that our usual table is hostile territory. There are three new faces hanging about, which in itself isn’t worrying. The problem is they are gathered around Abel and he is speaking to them excitedly while the three wear deep scowls.

He looks up, spots me, and gestures. Three pairs of eyes land on me. They don’t look friendly.

The air is frigid as Alana and I take our seats, Geneva standing at my shoulder. Abel is obviously waiting for me to say something so I ignore him, my anger making the food bland.

Don’t do it. Don’t you do it.

“I’m surprised you’re eating with us, Lou,” Abel starts with a sneer in his voice. “I heard that you used your thrall to trick your way into the Gold Dorm’s dining hall. How else could a pest like you worm your way to the prince’s table?”

I take a deep breath, letting it out slowly. Then I set down my spoon and face him. Wrong day to provoke me. “I see you’re still keeping company with incompetents. I got into the Gold Dorm after receiving an invitation from the dorm mother, who gave me permission each time.”

“Hmph. You could put a voice into her head.”

“Oh, great. If you’re so sure, why don’t you make a formal complaint? You know, they’re obligated to investigate any claims of mental affinity abuse. They’ll do a full investigation but, hey, if it turns out I’m innocent and you’re full of shit, they’re going to wonder if someone stupid and petty enough to spread treasonous rumors about someone is worth keeping at the Hall. But you’ve got nothing to worry about, right?”

I laugh as he frowns. “Oh, but of course not. You’re just a lapdog, a worthless bastard who gets his worth from licking the heels of rich brats, hoping they throw you a golden bone. You wouldn’t dare do something yourself, take a risk. After I whipped your last master, you scurried away, never tried to challenge me again like the dickless coward you are.

“And now you think you can stir shit so a prince takes care of your grudge for you. Or maybe you think playing into that asshole virgin’s stupid vendetta is going to get you noticed. Here’s some insight for you. You won’t. He doesn’t care, he won’t care, no one will fucking care because you’re nothing!”

“Lou,” Alana says with a hint of alarm, reaching up to put a hand on my arm.

“You should watch what you say,” one of the three strangers says, also standing.

“And who are you three jesters?” I spit out. “Don’t tell me you’re following the direction of this leech, cause then there’s really no hope for you.” I look at their minimum armor with distaste. “Foundation acolytes, huh? Well, you’re smart enough not to stick yourself with the pointy end of the sword so maybe there’s hope yet.”

“That thing is a menace,” the young man says, pointing to Geneva. “I’ve got nothing against you personally but it shouldn’t be here. Something that can climb in people’s heads shouldn’t be allowed to exist.”

“You should share your opinion with the king. Can’t have that pesky mental affinity around. Why don’t we get rid of all the interrogators? All those children born with it? Round them up and put them down, lest they grow up to be a menace.”

He flinches. “That’s not what I meant—”

“No, of course it isn’t. You just want to live in a perfect world where anything you don’t like just magically disappears. I wish I did too. Clue, you wouldn’t be in it.”

“Oi,” one of his friends says stepping forward. “That thing’s not even human. It shouldn’t be here. Get rid of it or someone will do it for you.”

I bark out a laugh. “Who? You?”

“I might,” he says, puffing out his chest. “The Hall has rules against attacking attendees and guests. That thing ain’t either.”

Alana’s grip on my arm tightens, drawing my attention to her. She gives a quick shake of her head, silently asking me to back down. Ah, this must look bad. Three guys bigger than me staring me down. If only she knew.

I give her a smile, and probably not a nice one, before turning back to the dead men walking. Geneva steps forward, putting herself between me and them. “Are you all talk like dickless over there? Be my guest. Won’t raise a hand to stop you. Hell, if you want to make this official, I’ll issue the challenge right now.”

Ah, he’s not looking so confident now that his threats have fallen flat. The three look at each other trying to come to a consensus and it makes me angrier. Really? Why did you even bother if you weren’t ready to see it through? Are you really jesters, dragging me into some silly play to entertain the room? Did you think you could impress the prince and his lackeys by making me cower?

Why is everyone intent on screwing with me!?

“You goddamn bastards! I cha—mmph!”

A hand covers my mouth, muffling my next words. “We’re going,” Alana says in a harsh tone, pulling me backwards.

Wait, I’m not done with these idiots!

 

233