Mini Arc 3: New Form-08
4.4k 3 201
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’m having a drink in the living room when I hear Kierra come in. I smile, but it quickly dims after I register the second pair of footsteps. It’s still sufficient to be called friendly as the two women enter.

“Welcome back, Kii,” I say with false cheer as I set my glass down. “And Lady Filagree. What a nice surprise.”

Lady Filagree seems uncomfortable. And injured. One of the sleeves of her shirt is shredded and her skirts are dusted with grime. Didn’t take her for the type to wear skirts. Her flaming red hair is pulled back in a ponytail and there’s blood on her cheek from what I presume to be a healed cut. Her appearance is haggard but she seems to be in a good mood. “Tome. You’re looking…smug.”

Why do I get the feeling she hates me? “Well, I’ve had a productive day and a good drink to finish it off. What more can a girl ask for?”

“I offered her our shower,” Kierra adds.

Lady Filagree huffs. “The staff housing is good but spartan. They cut corners to save money because of all the researchers who squat there for two decades trying to make the next breakthrough. The water pressure is shit.” She glares at Kierra but I don’t detect any malice in the gaze. “I can’t believe they gave you a house. It’s reserved for teachers with at least ten years on staff who dedicate themselves to the Hall.”

My wife smiles. “You have to make them work for it. Come, I’ll show you the way.” She waves Lady Filagree towards the stairs, turning to give me a smile before following her up.

I, very calmly, retake my seat. Then very calmly refill my glass. Only to shatter it when my improved hearing catches Kierra’s laughter as the shower starts. I stare at the glass shards in a puddle of slowly spreading liquid for several moments, focusing on the conversation above me. I manage to regain my calm when I hear a door close and Kierra moving around the bedroom. “Bell.”

My imp comes running into the room, sliding to a smooth stop by my foot. She looks at me with four wide eyes. “Coo?”

“Clean this mess up. Is Geneva still cooking?”

“Coo!” [Yes, master Lou.]

“…I suppose she should make an extra plate.” This is Kierra’s house. She’s free to invite whoever she wants to dinner, mm. And as the host, I should be welcoming. “I am totally okay with Kierra inviting sexy fire casters home to use our shower,” I mutter as I pour myself another drink. At least it’s not a bald wind caster.

But these games are going to stop. Or at least, my one-sided thrashing will.

Bell comes back after cleaning up the mess. To thank her, I scoop her into my lap, letting her rest against me as her magic moves through my new body. “What do you think?”

“Coo!” [Mistress is amazing as always. She makes the physical form into a work of art. And you are much less vulnerable this way.]

“I wasn’t exactly vulnerable before.”

[Surely not in your origin form but you insist on remaining human.]

“Not so much anymore, heh.”

“Coo~”

“Ah, here she comes. Down, down.”

She lets out a disappointed coo before scrambling off. A moment later, I hear Kierra on the stairs. Her eyes immediately find me as she makes her way over. I take in her own state, her white shirt immaculate. “Looks like you had fun today.”

“I wonder if I had as much as you. Sneaking off with the pet so often.” She drops down next to me. Cocking her head, she tucks a loose strand of hair behind her hair. “You seem…different.”

“Surprised you noticed. Thought all of your attention would be on your guest. Didn’t know you and Lady Filagree had gotten so close.”

“Ah, well. You know I love a good hunt. As one of the advanced combat instructors, she often coordinates with the guilds. It is amazing how many of her meetings devolve into brawls. The woman has a rare talent for offending people.”

“Or maybe a punchable face.”

“Aw, you almost sound jea—”

My hand snaps out, grabbing her chin and pulling her forward. I smirk at her wide eyes. Didn’t expect me to move that fast, did you? And I don’t have to be concerned about my strength with her.

“I’m not jealous, Kii. I’m happy you brought a friend over.” I peck her lips before letting her go, chuckling at her stunned expression. “A little warning would be nice. What if Geneva had already finished dinner?” Or if my plans involved waiting for her in nothing but my dignity and tackling her the moment she stepped through the front door? That would have been awkward. “You did invite her for dinner?”

“I hadn’t.” I like the look she’s giving me right now. It’s…evaluating. She’s trying to size me up, no longer confident in my next move. More importantly, she seems excited. “I admit, I didn’t think you would be happy with her staying.”

“Heh, so you do remember your promise.”

She smiles broadly. “You had the pet work on you. I like the eyes.”

“Thank you. Though there’s more changes than that.” I set down my drink and lean backward, beckoning her forward. She shakes her head but swings her legs onto the couch and crawls on top of me. “Want to see?”

“Maybe you need a lesson in manners, dedia. Tempting me so when there’s a guest upstairs.”

I reach up, trailing a finger along one of her long ears, loving the way her eyes narrow in pleasure. I hook an arm over her neck and pull her down, our noses a breath from each other. “That enough to stop you?”

“Is that…a challenge?”

I don’t answer with words, closing the distance for a kiss. She moans deliciously as I push my tongue past her lips. A hand starts wandering but I grab it, not wanting her to escalate. That’s my job.

Someone isn’t happy with that. She tries to break my hold. The feeling of being able to resist her is too good to describe. I can hear and feel her surprised exclamation but I don’t let her escape, chasing her and pulling her back. Holding her there despite her using her magic. At least, for a while. It gets harder to hold her hand still and I have to push her away.

Kierra stares at me from the other end of the couch, panting. Her eyes are narrowed and her lips parted, the tip of a pink tongue peeking through. I straighten my clothes and grab my drink, taking a sip. “On the other hand, I rather have dinner first. I’m starving for some actual food.” Swallowing corpses whole is great for adding mass but boring and tasteless.

“I’d rather eat you,” my wife husks.

“Didn’t anyone ever tell you not to spoil dinner with dessert? Besides.” I hear the shower cut off. “Your guest is about to come down.”

I jump off the couch as she tries to grab me, chuckling as she stares at me with confusion. I give her a mocking grin. “Going to have to do better than that, Kii.”

“It’s not just the eyes. The pet. She—”

“Oi, give me some credit here.” I down the rest of my drink and reach for the bottle. She tries to grab my wrist and I dart back. She grabs the bottle instead, watching me with a hungry gaze. “Stealing someone’s liquor is just uncouth.”

“Come here, dedia. Let me see you properly.”

“I don’t think so. Bell! Bring me another bottle.”

A few moments later, the imp comes running out of the kitchen, a glass bottle filled with amber liquid held in her tail. Kierra scowls. She snaps off a piece of the table and throws it at Bell, aiming for her delivery. The imp nimbly dodges and holds the bottle up to me.

“Thank you~” I refill my glass before handing it back. I wave a finger at the brutalized furniture. “Good thing you’ve got Mr. Self-Made on a short leash.”

Kierra scoffs as she slams the bottle in her hands on the table.

You're probably wondering who Mr. Self-Made is. He is a new character introduced in the mini-arc Elven Garde, a carpenter trying to move up through the world through brawling. He will also be introduced in the main story but if you can't wait...

201