Arc 5-Winter War-13
4.1k 3 207
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you're enjoying the story, don't be shy in the comments and consider leaving a rating/review.

Want to read exclusive content and advanced chapters? Join my Patreon!

Join our Discord to chat about the story!

“Lou?” she asks in obvious confusion as I rub her back. As much as the situation annoys me, angers me, and disgusts me, it doesn’t surprise me. However, my righteous knight seems thoroughly confused by the concept that someone would use their power to royally screw over an entire group of people and that it can actually happen. Another reason to intervene, as it will be a very rude awakening for her not if, but when, it does.

Poor saint. I equally admire and despise the way my best friend looks at the world. She isn’t naïve, she’s had her share of misfortune too, but she is certainly optimistic. Especially about those in authority. She speaks often about growing up with under a knight and from the way she turned out, one who takes that title quite seriously. She takes it seriously as well. Sometimes, I think it blinds her to the evils men can do.

“Alana, summoners make up a very small amount of the magic community. The only voice we had were the Grimoires and that’s doing more harm than good right now. Even if the high nobles could sway the king’s mind, why would they? Dunwayne could fly to the capital right now and demand an audience with the king, but why would he? It’s not hurting them and the succubi have been a pain for a lot of people for a long time.”

I give her back one more pat before I let go. “Maybe someone will save us but it hasn’t happened yet. Better to assume we’re royally fucked and do what we can to save ourselves.”

“So, that’s it? You’re just going to leave?” she snaps. Saints, are those tears in her eyes? “Sacrifice yourself to save yourself? Your future? Leave m—behind the Hall?”

“No. What made you think that?”

Her mouth is open to continue her rant but she comes up short. She blinks rapidly, but I think it’s less to do with her confusion and more to keep the unshed tears from falling. “Ah, but…”

“But what? They’re attacking my family’s art. They’re threatening me. I don’t enjoy being threatened. I certainly don’t want to work for people holding an axe over my head.” Bastards didn’t even try to be subtle about the coercion. Dismissingme. As if I have no choice but to accept their horseshit. We’ll see about that.

If we, the Tome family, the oldest and most distinguished summoners in the kingdom, bow before this decree, then we may as well strike summoning from history. Burn all the records and forget about it.” I’m sure my tone conveys exactly how I feel about that.

Alana lets out a deep breath, visibly calming. “Okay. Alright, yeah. That’s…that sounds more like you.” She flashes me a hesitant smile. Are you trying to make me forget about your very near breakdown? I won’t. “Um, I guess you have a plan?”

“Hm? No, not a clue.”

“…dammit, Lou.”

“Well, what did you expect?”

“Something! Where is that confidence coming from?”

“From the absolute certainty that I’m not letting such a stupid decree and a bunch of stupid men ruin my life! But no, I don’t have a solid plan. How could I? I just found out about this today.”

“You have to have some clue!” she continues, breaths coming quickly. Guess those deep breaths didn’t help too much as the panic is coming back. “They’re going to detain you indefinitely or murder you, your elementals, or all of you! For saints’ sake!”

Over my dead body and that’s a lot harder than anyone might think. “I know this! Doesn’t mean a perfect plan is going to fall from the heavens. If all else fails, I suppose I can level that capital.” Bell has an earth affinity. I’m sure she can sink the entirety of Summer Spire if Geneva, Kierra, and I keep the defenders off her.

Alana recoils as if I slapped her. Then she slams her fist into my shoulder. “Don’t say that! Don’t even joke about that. If someone hears you—”

“What? They’ll detain me? Murder me and my family? Oh wait, they’re already planning on doing that. Seems I don’t have much to lose.”

“…you’re serious?”

“At the moment? Very.” Give me a few days if you want responses based on logic.

“Lou, no. You’re strong. Teacher is stronger. I have no idea what Geo can really do but none of that matters. The capitals has hundreds of casters and knights ready to defend it. Dozens of masters. It’d take an army to make a dent in the city’s forces. You’d only get yourself killed.”

“You’re assuming I fight them all at once, in open combat,” I say, unable to keep the menace from slipping into my tone. “I don’t have to conquer Summer Spire. I just have to make myself a nuisance and there are an infinite number of ways to do that.”

I’m sure summoners aren’t the biggest threat to the crown. Saints, I’d rate Marquis Guiness and his infinite gold as a greater threat. Higher nobles have standing armies and are greedy for as much power as they can get their hands on. From my talks with Miss Talia, I know the militant faction in particular headed by the James family is just short of outright rebellion, firm in their independence centered around Fort Victory, and the king dares not push them.

So, why would he target the miniscule in comparison threat of unruly summoners? Simple. The crown thinks we’re weak, easy targets. The community is divided into the different families eager to hoard the secrets of the realms they have ties to. The Grimoires have lost almost all of their political clout and our reputation amongst the people who matter is trash. They think they can subdue us, or better yet, absorb us and use our knowledge and traditions for their own benefit. Likely to wrangle some of those larger threats.

The king thinks we have no teeth? See how he feels when I take a bite out of his kingdom. He won’t target larger threats because it’s too costly so I’ll make it too costly to target summoners.

Fight the royal army and the Harvest Royal Knights directly? Am I insane? Why would I do that? We’ll see if he wants to keep playing the game if I throw the rules out the window. Forget honor and dignity. I value brutality and maximum collateral damage.

“Lou!”

“Ah, no more, no more! I know, alright?” I snap. “I understand you’re worried. I’m worried too but there’s nothing we can do about it right now, is there? We’re not going to do anything but talk ourselves in circles. Can we move on?”

She glares at me and I glare right back. At least I try but I can’t stare into her eyes for too long without getting distracted. Soon enough, my stern expression melts into a sloppy smile. She rolls her eyes but follows me in relaxing, running a frustrated hand through her hair. “Fine. I’m assuming you’ve got somegood news after that shitstorm.”

I start walking again and she follows. “You’re underestimating me, my friend. After that wonderful proposal from the interrogators, I was then offered a position working for the first prince, apprenticing to become one of his personal knights and building a career in the army.”

I don’t know what I expect her to do. It certainly isn’t for her to laugh but she does. Uproariously.

“Hey.” I jostle her to get her attention but she still chuckles, batting away my hand. “How is that funny?”

“You! A knight…representing the kingdom…” She can’t get the words out without laughing some more. “Oh saints. I can’t…” She giggles. Giggles.

“You’re lucky you’re cute,” I grumble, my own mood lightening, slowing down so she can keep up with her stumbling steps, balance compromised by her humor. “I could be a good knight.”

“You were just blatantly talking about treason!”

A good point. “Trailing after a prince would be ridiculous anyway. What isn’t so funny is that the offer also came with mercy for my elementals.”

The reminder of my impending crisis with the crown sobers her. She clears her throat. “I laughed but don’t dismiss it. The army can provide opportunities.”

“Oh? Not afraid of me leaving you anymore?”

She tries hard to maintain a neutral expression but blushes furiously. “I was concerned you were making an irreversible decision without considering it. At least the army would let you stay at the Hall. They’d want a more capable fighter.”

“Of course. Just so you know, I have no intention of accepting the prince’s ‘generous’ offer either.”

“Then, what—”

“We can have a nice long talk about all of this during the weekend you’re going to owe me, honey,” I say sweetly, reminding her of our bet. “With some nice wine to take the edge off. Nothing harder. You tend to forget important details on anything stronger.”

“Don’t make me sound like a drunkard,” she snaps with a smile. “And you’re not going to win.”

“You call me confident.”

She suddenly pulls me to a stop with a hand on my wrist. My mouth opens to asks her what’s wrong but I pause as she rests her head on my shoulder.

“Don’t do anything stupid, degenerate,” she whispers.

“What does that mean?”

“You know. When you get worked up, you get reckless. And violent.”

“I’ve—”

Her grip tightens for a moment. “You’ve had two disagreements here and you solved both of those through violence.”

I grimace. “In my defense, I tried to be reasonable first.”

“We both know you enjoyed smacking them around. I don’t blame you, but not this time. Okay? Please? We can think of something. I’ll help you so don’t…don’t do anything reckless. Promise me.”

I sigh heavily. I might have to rethink calling her a future saint. This girl is plain evil. “Another promise. They’re adding up.”

“But you won’t say no, will you?” I can hear the smile in her voice.

Truly despicable. Saints preserve me, there’s a chance I will have to spend a lifetime dealing with her remorseless tugging on my heart. A part of me wishes she’d simply turn me down if she’s not interested but the uncertainty, the dance right along the edge of our friendship, is such sweet torture. “Fine. I promise, I won’t do anything reckless.” It just so happens that we have different definitions of reckless, hah.

Another squeeze and she lets me go, stepping back. Her smile is much less forced. “It’ll be okay, Lou,” she reassures me. I return the smile. Of course it’ll be okay. I’ll make sure of it.

“Yeah, it will be so put it out of your mind. We need to focus on these qualifiers. Meet you tomorrow to get the details?”

“Mm. Lunch again?”

“Once a week, you glutton. The rules don’t change because our classes do. I’ll head over after breakfast.” I’m too used to waking up early to purposely sleep in just because I have the opportunity. Alana’s worse, the crazy woman insisting on training before even the sun wakes up.

“Stingy. If you want the king to revoke that decree, you should just have Geo cook for him.” She winces, shutting her eyes as she faintly flushes in embarrassment. “Saints, I’m sorry. That was insensitive.”

“Don’t be. My only problem is that you’re wrong. If he tastes her cooking, he won’t wait for any decree before snatching her up.”

“Ah, you might be right.”

 

207