Arc 5-Winter War-16
4.6k 3 206
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Never mind that for now.” I squirm away from her hand, silently cluing her in that I still want to talk. She grins and cups my sex, but stops the teasing, thank the saints. “Who’s the letter from?”

She glances to the piece of paper on the ground. “My mother.”

“Really?” One of the many plans I have for the free months before officially becoming an acolyte involves a visit to my elven in-laws. At least, we’ve been toying with the idea. It has its own complications, least of which that people will be very interested in the journey. I can already imagine several people we might ‘coincidentally’ meet on the road to the Enchanted Forest. “What did she say?”

We are always welcome, of course. As for my intention to bring a group of humans for a, how did the marquis put it? A cultural exchange. She is skeptical but unopposed.”

One of the reasons Marquis Guiness generously sponsored my attendance at the Hall was Kierra teasing him with the possibility of escorting a group through the Enchanted Forest and into elven lands. No promises were made and I expected her to keep the bait dangling on the line for a while, squeezing out as many benefits as possible. To my surprise, she seems rather eager with the idea.

“…that’s surprising.” She was pretty vocal about her dislike of humans when I appeared.

“While I take after my father in appearance, I very much take after my mother in temperament,” Kierra muses. “She can see the same things I see.”

“Kii, are you trying to start trouble?” Here I am, considering igniting civil war by going against the king. The last thing I need to be worried about is violence erupting with the elves.

Dedia, you wound me. I simply wish for us to enjoy a vacation in my beautiful home. With your growth…” Her hand strokes me again. “We can enjoy ourselves fully without fear of consequence.”

“Suppose we should start making solid plans.” Might be a good idea to disappear from the Hall for a while, just in case someone tries to arrest me preemptively after I refuse those ‘generous’ offers.

I wonder if Alana would like to join? Ugh, how would mother-in-law react to me introducing a possible wife? Not blink an eye? Challenge her to see if she’s in the same league as Kierra? Kierra intervened for me but will she do the same for Alana? Mm. On second thought, maybe she should stay here. Ah, but can I refuse her is she asks to come? Attempts have proved futile so far.

“Organizing the trip will take a few weeks at the very least. Enough time for your project?”

“Should be. Once the qualifiers are finished and I do that thing for Howie, things can be put into motion. Max has already gotten the ingredients and the basement will serve as an acceptable space. I—”

I pause, head cocking to the side. With my improved hearing, there is a lot of stimuli in my environment. Too much for the average person. Geneva’s adjustments to my brain help me process the flood of information from my enhanced senses. Mainly, I can ‘ignore’ most of the things I hear when I want, putting it out of my mind. What catches my attention are sounds that stand out. That don’t belong.

Such as whistling wind when there was no breeze moments ago. “Are you expecting company?” I ask, frost entering my voice.

Her eyes bounce over my face, trying to read my expression. Her wonderings clear a moment later as she presumably hears what I hear. “No,” she asks with a grin.

“Are you sure? Maybe another puppy followed you home.”

She chuckles. “Who would be so bold? And it is bird, not a dog.”

I scoff. For a moment, I consider climbing off her lap but quickly discard the idea. He’s coming to my home, uninvited, likely for no good reason. Let him get an eyeful. Remind him there’s nothing for him here. “Come on up!” I shout to the empty air. “No use pretending you need doors.”

A moment later, the wind becomes more prevalent as a certain baldie slowly drifts down from the sky. He stops just before his bare toes touch the balcony’s railing, appearing at first glance to be balancing on the thin pole.

I grin as he takes in my sloppy state of dress, maybe a touch offended he doesn’t react. His eyes briefly take in Kierra’s hand that is obviously under my robe but to my surprise, he only lingers on that detail, and Kierra as a whole, for a moment before bowing toward us. “Ladies. Please, forgive me for visiting without so much as a word.”

“We’ve only just parted. Miss me that much?” I ask dryly, my suspicion clear in my tone. “What brings you by?”

“An invitation.” With a twitch of his fingers, two small pieces of paper fall from his robe. They twist and flip through the air playfully as they make their way towards us. I snap them both from the air, briefly scanning the elegant cursive. “You’re inviting us to dinner.”

“This is an important time for you, Lady Tome. What a new acolyte needs most is to meet instructors, those who can help them bring out their true potential.” He smiles his fake smile…or maybe not so fake? I’m not sure. This is strange. I don’t trust him, never will, but he seems…different. The way he looks at me is different.

Whatever Dunwayne said to him must have really spooked him, an idea I’m willing to believe. Or perhaps this is a change in strategy. One can only bang their head against a wall for so long before realizing it’s not going to break.

“I do hope you will take me up on my offer. As I said, you are a talented caster with a bright future. I don’t plan to take up any more of your night. Lady Tome, Miss Kierra.”

With no extra fanfare, he departs from our balcony, a strong gust of wind launching him higher before he blasts off. I watch with a narrow glare as his figure grows smaller and smaller.

“What in the abyss was that?” I ask once he’s disappeared. I’m thoroughly baffled.

“I’m not sure.” Her words are laced with unmistakable amusement. “Things are becoming so very interesting.”

“Why do you sound so happy about that?”

I yelp as she suddenly stands but the sound is swallowed by her lips. Her kiss is quick and fierce, ending in a sharp nip that makes me squirm in her arms. “You still seem a little stressed, Lou. Let me help with that.”

“So considerate~” I say, chuckling as she carries me into our bedroom.

 

206