Arc 5-Winter War-30
4.4k 15 194
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, let me get this.”

I try not to flinch as the pig points a breaded piece of fish at me, flinging sauce. “You’re married to this supposedly hot, rich, elf princess who bought you one of the Hall’s estates, pays for your time at the Hall, and she lets you sleep with other women whenever you want?”

“There are several points in that statement that I would argue with and are flat-out wrong but…basically.” I’m not going to stress the mongrel’s shit for brains asking him to think.

“What in the deep sea do you have that I don’t?!” Arthur roars, munching on his fish.

“Manners,” I say with clear disgust as he spews crumbs. “Proper hygiene. Good looks. Intelligence. Skill. Breasts. I can honestly go on for another hour.”

“And she’s your mistress?”

“Who’s a mistress?!” Alana barks, looking up from her plate, slamming her fork on the table before pointing it at Arthur. “Stop saying nonsense.”

“Is this madness true?”

“Hmph. Like she said, basically. Don’t ask me to explain it, I don’t understand their relationship either.”

“What is so hard to understand?” I gripe. I guess it can be hard to understand when they don’t have all the information but why are they making such a fuss about this? Especially Arthur. He’s looking at me as if I’m telling him the sun rises from the south and the moon is just the sun putting on silver pajamas. This bastard is just trying to insult me, isn’t he? I need to get out of here.

Like a resurrected saint come to save the sinners, Geneva enters the door, tail swinging behind her. Arthur, being the dog that he is, has his attention immediately stolen, his eyes undressing her as she stops beside the table. “Lou, you’re going to be late for your meeting.”

You glorious succubus, you. “Ah, thanks.”

“Who or what is this?”

“Nice to meet you. I am Lou’s contracted thrall, Geo.” She bows toward him, raising her head with a demure smile.

He’s a goner. I think he might actually be drooling. Or maybe that fuzz under his chin is wet from his sloppy eating.

I need to get out of here before this animal tries humping her leg.

“Well, team, you heard her. Time for me to go.” I take out my coin purse and stack enough coins to pay for the impromptu lunch on the table. “It’s been a blast. Look forward to seeing you at the test.”

“Hold on, girlie.” Arthur stands from his chair, staring down at Geneva. I’m sure he’s used to people being intimidated by his height and shying away. My succubus, far too used to wrapping people around her dainty little fingers, does the opposite, meeting his gaze with her beautiful pink irises open wide. Her pretty eyes looking past the dirt and scruff to see the person under the beastly exterior.

Arthur’s broad shoulders sag as his gaze sharpens. “A thrall. I’ve heard of succubi before. Sex devils that corrupt men’s morals. Suck the…life out of them, heh.”

Geneva blushes or at least gives the illusion of it. Her ash-colored skin doesn’t show it well. “My people have a reputation that proceeds us but this isn’t the place for that kind of conversation.”

“It’s always the time for that kind of conversation.” He does that disgusting thing where he licks his lips and Geneva curls in on herself like a rabbit in front of a wolf. That only seems to excite him. Saints, it hurts to watch.

“Elemewhatevers, I’ve heard of summoners. She’s part of your strength, right? That means she’s part of the team.” He moves closer, close enough for any woman to be uncomfortable. “We should…get to know one another better.”

“I don’t think that’s necessary,” I say sharply. “We only need to work competently for one day. No need to exchange back stories.”

“Forgive me for speaking out of turn, my summoner, but a simple demonstration of abilities and discussion of strategy would prove immensely helpful.”

I stare at the traitor but she doesn’t meet my gaze. I know you can imagine the disaster that would be Arthur meeting Kierra. What if he tries the same crap as he did with Alana? What if she eggs him on? I’ll really kill him. I’ll take his head clean off his shoulders with a single strike.

“Lou.”

I turn to Alana, feeling a surge of hope at her sympathetic smile. She’s the only other person here who understands what I’m thinking and why this is such a terrible idea. Come on, my friend. Save us all from a tragedy waiting to happen.

“We are going to be working together. That demands at least one day of practice, no matter how distasteful the thought may be.”

I sigh deeply as Arthur grins. Saints damn it, Alana. “We can rent some area in Quest—”

“On the chance there may be an…argument, do you want to have it in a populated area? I think it would be best to have this training at your home, seeing as the rest of us live in rooms.”

And so, she declares my execution, wearing a mask of concern. Truly, if my team were composed of anyone else, people who I could trust to behave themselves, I wouldn’t think twice about this. That is what has me debating. Should I listen to my gut and vehemently deny this? Or should I listen to my upbringing telling me to do the polite thing and open my home?

“Think of it as another favor.”

“Damn it to the Abyss, Alana!” I swear. The vixen has the audacity to grin at me yet I’m more annoyed than angry.

I think I have to accept it. I’m a glutton for punishment. No one else in my position would let women, even the women they love, take so many liberties. I’m not even sleeping with her!

At least she can look sheepish as I continue to glare at her. Good. I may do a wonderful impersonation of a doormat but I better get something back for all these promises. “Sure, team,” I hiss through grit teeth. “I’d love to have you guys over. Tomorrow morning, after breakfast. Give me a chance to straighten the place up.”

“Thank you for your hospitality,” William says carefully, no doubt sensing my trepidation.

“Hmph,” Marthe says.

Arthur just continues to ogle my succubus.

“Don’t mention it,” I continue, feeling as if the words are cutting my throat with every syllable. “We’ll be working together so we should make efforts to get along. Now, I really do need to get going. Wife’s expecting me. Don’t have too much fun without me.”

I chuckle hollowly as I grab Geneva’s shoulders with a little too much force and practically march her out the door, waving to Erin. Down the street and out of the eyes of anyone who can recognize me, I release Geneva. The succubus shrugs off her demure veneer, straightening her spine and marching down the sidewalk with her tail swinging. “You seem pleased with yourself.”

“Do I?” the little devil says with a smile. “Perhaps because I am doing my summoner a great service.”

“Oh, really? You’re doing me a service?”

“I am. I worry for you, Lou. You are surrounded by very strong personalities—”

“Hoh, really? Didn’t notice that.”

“Strong personalities that all have designs on your life and power.” Noooo, really? “And while you seem to deal with the devious side of people remarkably well, perhaps even thrive in what others might consider a toxic environment, it would do you good to interact with your peers more.”

“What are you, my mother?”

“Do you want to call me mommy, Lou?”

I almost miss a step. “You are evil.”

She grins at me over her shoulder.

“Are you going to tell me the reason you’re doing this?”

“I can’t have you becoming too cynical, my summoner. How will I twist you around my fingers? No, best to marinate you in the young naivete of your little sun and the harmless puppies that make up your team.”

“Haha, that sounds more like my scheming succubus.” It might even contain a kernel of truth. If I only spend time with her and Kierra, I suppose I could become as devious as them and their schemes wouldn’t be nearly as effective. Saints, despite my meagre experience with succubi, I think I’ve managed to fend her off fairly well.

I won’t delude myself into thinking that she’s as loyal to me as she appears. She wants to use me for her own ends, goals I can’t even imagine. If the usual temptation doesn’t work, she can only resort to creative measures like forcing me to make friends who can compromise my judgment, I suppose.

I jog forward and loop our arms together. “Well, good luck with that.” It isn’t going to work. The worse that’s going to happen is that the kingdom issues an order of arrest after I kill Arthur. Or maybe that’s her plan? Using the stress of making me a fugitive to compromise me? I wouldn’t put it past her.

“I haven’t lived as long as I have depending on luck, my summoner.”

 

194