Arc 5-Winter War-54
4.2k 7 199
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, the team gathers in front of my house, lured by the temptation of Geneva’s breakfast. We look ready for a day of trouble.

Alana is wearing her usual armor, the gray breastplate showing more dents than I remember. Gauntlets cover her forearms but that’s it, as she prefers speed over full protection. There exists metals that can make full plate armor as light as leather, but the cost for both the metal and the blacksmith to forge it are absurdly expensive. Enough to give even my, or rather Kierra’s, incredible wealth pause.

I will get her something better before the campaign into the Bleak Peaks. I don’t care if I have to secretly take her measurements in her sleep. I have no intention of leaving her side but that freezing hellscape has claimed the lives of thousands more experienced and far better armed than her. When it comes to protecting her, no measure is too big.

Thankfully, Marthe has foregone trying to convince the world that summer is approaching and put on sensible clothes. The skirt has been replaced by dark pants and her shirt has sleeves. A scarf is tied around the bottom half of her face, covering her nose. I asked about it but she ignored me. She’s been doing so more after realizing she can’t follow through on her usual threats.

William is dressed the same as usual. A noticeable change is the string tied to the ends of his glasses, knotted behind his head. A measure to keep them from falling off? It happened plenty of times in training. Smart. Someone could sell that. I wonder if I should say something to Maxine?

I can’t look directly at Arthur. The perverted bastard walked up to us plain as day wearing a skintight one-piece that ends before his knees, made from a slick material I’ve never seen before that clings to his body like a second skin. Pulled very tight in certain areas.

I have seen more of him than I ever wanted to and am half tempted to have Geneva burn the image from my mind. A few ‘gentle’ slaps convinced him to put on a pair of pants but staring directly at his broad chest makes me nauseous.

Geneva brings around the carriage and we pile in. I smile as Alana sits beside me without prompting, Bell laying her small body out on her other side. Marthe forcefully pushes William into the middle after Arthur climbs in but she needn’t have bothered. The horny seadog got a little too close during training one day and now has a hand-shaped burn on his arm. She threatened to ‘burn it off’ next time and he’s yet to try his luck.

Once we’re on our way, Alana clears her throat. “A quick word. We’ve done well in our training and I have every confidence in this team. That does not mean we can be complacent. We have no idea what this test will bring or who we will face. The key is to work together. Remember our training. As long as we fight together, there is no obstacle we can’t overcome.”

There’s a beat of silence before Marthe sarcastically grumbles, “Rousing speech, leader.”

“I’m the leader,” I say with a smile. Sorry, Alana. Your motivational words rolled off me too, though it was cute watching you try. Her problem is she forgot who she’s speaking to. This is not a group for team spirit. “The speech is my job. Let me show you how it’s done.”

I clear my throat dramatically, stopping once everyone has their eyes on me. “You bastards have been living the good life, haven’t you?!” I snap, making poor William jump. “Eating my food and drinking my liquor like there’s no tomorrow. Well, time to pay up. We better pass this evaluation without a hitch. If we fail, it’ll definitely be your faults and I’ll take it out of your asses!”

“Lou!”

“What?”

Alana glares at me. “That wasn’t a speech! You just threatened them!”

“And I meant it. I’m sure they feel much more motivated.” My speech had all the crucial ingredients. A leader brimming with confidence, a mix of anticipation and gratitude by bringing up Geneva’s cooking, and imminent danger to their well-being.

Marthe scoffs and avoids my gaze. A dismissal on the surface but I note she doesn’t voice any criticisms.

William reflexively tries to push up his glasses despite the fact they haven’t budged a centimeter. “I am quite motivated. A threat from Lady Tome is…meaningful.”

“See?”

“Oi.” Arthur leans forward. “Let’s make a wager on whoever can take out the most shrimps.” Is he referring to the other initiates? “If I win, I get that succubus.” He licks his lips as his eyes flick toward the wall and Geneva who lies beyond.

Saints, why is this bastard always trying to make a wager? “Absolutely—”

[My summoner, a moment.]

Hm?

[I would ask you to take the deal.]

…you’re kidding.

[Hearing the boy speak, I have become curious about Graywatch. The Grimoires never tried to influence the coast and our information of the area is lacking.]

You’re okay with sleeping with this beast?

[I could always use a snack.]

But him? I could understand if it were Alana but he has a common earth affinity. You’re salivating over dirt.

[My. If I didn’t know better, I would say you are jealous, Lou.]

And you do know better because you’re in my head! I am not jealous. I am disturbed you could be attracted to this walking wall of grotesque masculinity in any way. Which I doubt you are and if you want information, there are plenty of other ways to go about it than searching the mind of an idiot. What are you planning?

[Perhaps I just want to play with a new toy.]

Along with the words, she sends a feeling through our mental communication. It’s…difficult to describe in words. Hunger, power, desire, malevolence, playfulness, and so much more. I know I am seeing a tiny glimpse of the true Geneva. The one she hides beneath the mask of a sweet thrall. Like a beast hiding in a sheep’s skin to better aide the shepherd who contracted it. A beast has beastly instincts that can only be contained for so long before crying for release.

Ah, it can’t be easy for her. A circle seven don may as well be a queen among the succubi and I have her driving me and a bunch of what must feel like insects to her around as if she’s a peasant laborer.

[It is my pleasure to serve you, my summoner. However, I would like something for myself sometimes. I believe you would have no problem with me using the boy to…relieve myself. I can obtain useful information at the same time.]

Always thinking of me. You’re right. Arthur is the perfect target. I am vehemently against the wanton use of the mental affinity but if he gives permission, it’s his own fault, isn’t it?

“You know what, Arty? You have yourself a bet.” Alana isn’t the only to give me a startled look. William is about to speak but Marthe beats him to it.

“I thought you didn’t trade your elementals for favors?” she bites out, eyes accusing.

“I don’t. Geo asked me to accept.” That gives her pause. “Surprised me to. The thought of this dog anywhere near my sweet thrall makes my stomach turn but as a caring summoner, I try and oblige her when I can.”

Arthur laughs. “As expected, women can’t get enough of me. Next, it’ll be your—”

I shut him up with a kick to the shin, grinning maliciously as he cradles it with a hand. “Don’t make me pull your tongue out. Here’s the deal. If you contribute more than me, you get her for a night. I do more than you, she gets you for a night. Fair?”

He looks up with a frown. “Are you stupid? Don’t I—”

“Arthur!” William speaks up with a rare volume, cutting him off. “When offered a deal with favorable terms, it’s wise to accept it before the offer is taken back.”

What a good friend. Too bad you don’t know you’re dooming him. The moment he accepts, he’s sealed his fate.

Arthur claps William on the shoulder. “How do I know you won’t cheat. Or take it back?” He may be stupid but he knows to dig deeper when a deal sounds too good to be true. Not smart enough to walk away. Or perhaps he’s just ignorant.

His eagerness to be with Geneva shows he knows something about succubi but does he know what they are? What they truly are? Or has all he heard been the very wrong, overly sexualized rumors spread by the Grimoires to entrap horny noblemen?

“I won’t take it back because you’re going to lose. Have you forgotten our training already?” He grunts, the closest he can come to acknowledging my superiority. “Alana will be the judge to keep things fair. I dare you to call her dishonest.”

He doesn’t, his gaze briefly flicking to the hand she lightly drops to the hilt of her sword.

Alana sighs, moving her hand. “I take vows and promises seriously so I’ll do this if you want but Arthur, I suggest you don’t. This is Lou we’re talking about. How many times has she rejected you? If she’s saying yes, it’s because she’s planning something. You’re going to get yourself in trouble.”

I look at her with betrayed eyes. She ignores me.

“Trouble? Ha! A seaman lives for trouble!” He sticks out a meaty hand. “You’ve got yourself a deal.”

I take his hand, hating how sweaty it is, and give it a firm shake. “Do your best.” To survive, I mean. I don’t want to imagine what Geneva can do in a night if she puts her mind to it. Just don’t do anything that’s going to cause me any trouble.

I hear her chuckle in my mind.

“At least we won’t need him by then,” Alana mutters.

“What about you?” I ask her. “Want to up the stakes on our own bet?”

“Don’t joke,” she says quickly. “There’s a reason I challenged you with a written test.”

I poke her cheek when she frowns. “You’re upset about the gap between us but there’s no need. You’ll never be stronger than me.” I laugh, throwing in a few fake winces as she hits me. I give her a few moments to vent before grabbing her wrists and carefully putting her hands in her lap, trying hard not to giggle at her scowl. “You’ll be strong though. At least on the level of Kierra.” I’ll make sure of that. She needs to be if I want her to stay with me for a long time.

She huffs. “Come to think of it, I’ve never seen her fight.”

“She could fight Dunwayne.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Would I lie to you?”

“Yes.”

I poke her cheek again, dodging the hands trying to keep me away. “Well, I’m not now.”

“…no, you’re not.”

“You can tell?”

“You’re not hard to read, Lou.” It’s not the first time someone has said so. “Which begs the question, what in the abyss does she see in you?”

I bite my lip to keep from laughing. “One day, you’re going to find out.”

 

199