ARC 6-Winter War-22
3.3k 6 162
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, that’s it?”

“That’s it,” I tell Alana as she pokes the pliant shuba, marveling at the creature I’ve plucked from another realm to serve my whims. “Hashing out the contract is usually the easiest part of a summoning. Powerful creatures always want power so I never doubted I’d have a problem negotiating with the Dark Lord.” Though who knows what the thing is going to deliver as payment.

“The hard part is the preparation. Finding the perfect elemental that suits your purposes, building the perfect circle, sourcing the ingredients. Even then, contracting the elemental means little to nothing. They are, in the least demeaning way to possibly mean this, living tools. They are only as effective as the summoner behind them. Compared to wrangling a creature that could be actively plotting your demise, enduring a little pressure is nothing.”

Alana frowns, no doubt remembering how the attention of the Dark Lord would have sent her crashing to the ground if not for the support of my wife. Her hand leaves the shuba’s head, or what I think is its head. “Is this thing dangerous?”

“The shuba is incredibly simple. While their presence can have harmful effects over a long period of exposure, and by long I mean decades for a single one, it is not inherently evil or even aggressive. It’s, hm. Something like the leeches in the southern wetlands. They suck the blood from their victims but not out of a desire to harm them. It is simply instinct, their nature.”

“You can’t say the same for that Dark Lord.” Her frown deepens. “I felt that thing and there is nothing simple about it. I don’t like the fact that you’re dealing with it.”

Grinning, I step toward her, arms extended. She ignores my attempts to hug her but she doesn’t swat away my limbs as they close around her waist. “Aw, are you worried for me? Thank you, sweetie, but I’ll be fine. If it’s not invited, it can’t cross over.”

“You said that you summon things with the images in the circle. You literally drew the thing.”

“I had to. The shuba’s very existence for living is the Dark Lord. According to the record, it is impossible to reach them without referencing their master in some way and I don’t have time to research it. Having the Dark Lord’s image in my circle doesn’t give it the right to pass through.

“Summoning is an art of intention. The more clear of an idea I have of what I’m summoning, the less creatures can try and weasel their way in. I knew exactly what I was summoning. More importantly, I sure as saints didn’t want that giant thing to drop so much as an eyelash in this realm. Therefore, it can’t cross through my circle. It’s as simple as that.”

“All because of this Guardian of Dimensions.” Alana shakes her head. “This is strange. What is this Guardian? Why is it helping summoners? Saints, how did summoners come across summoning in the first place? I doubt someone stumbled on it by chance.”

I grin. “Actually, the most popular opinion is that it was discovered entirely by chance. The prevalent theory within the Tome family is that the first summoner was an artist. You know how some painters sign their work with mana, hm? Which is completely pointless unless the paints can retain the mana but I digress.

“We think some poor bastard, maybe a prophet with no idea of their affinity, dreamed of ‘imagined’ realms. They drew these realms, and the creatures in them, and signed their work with their mana. While wishing to meet the object of their desire, they unintentionally created the first summoning circle. Then, whatever elemental they summoned taught this artist. It told them about summoning and all they could accomplish by reaching out to the other realms. Probably offered them a crap load of power to convince them.

“Power draws followers like bees to flowers so in no time, they must have had plenty of people begging to know their secret. Then, no doubt under the request of the elemental they contracted, they spread the knowledge of summoning, permanently opening this realm to the elementals eager for prey. Of course, this is only a theory. There are dozens of others. Like—”

“Eh-hem.” I pause, blinking as I take in Alana’s glazed but attentive expression and Kierra’s amused smile as she pokes the shuba. My wife raises a brow. “Perhaps we can have this discussion over a good meal and drink? We must celebrate your success.”

Ah, got a bit carried away. I flash Alana a sheepish smile. “Yeah, we shouldn’t stand around here all night.” I turn to the shuba. “Wait in the next room.”

“Shuba.” Kierra’s hand phases through the shuba’s body as it floats away, phasing through the wall into the next room. It’s empty and out of the way so I shouldn’t have to worry about anyone having bad dreams because of its effect on sapient creatures.

“I will prepare the meal,” Geneva says, exiting the room before us. Knowing she’ll reject me if I ask her despite enjoying skinship as much as me, I don’t bother asking as I grab Alana’s hand and lead her out of the room. Like I thought, she doesn’t say anything, though she pointedly averts her gaze. So I don’t see her embarrassment, probably.

“The elemental you want to teach us light magic. Is it going to be like that?”

“That’d be a terrible idea. For a teacher, you want something that’s friendly. Or can at least be pleasant, like the succubi. Though since this will also be your teacher, I’m aiming for a creature that historically has a good nature. And you’ll also be there to confirm you get along.”

“Then, if I don’t like what you pick—”

“The contract doesn’t happen. These things are permanent. The only known method to cut the bond between a summoner and an elemental is the death of either party. There is no room for doubt.”

I sigh. “I would like to have this settled before we head out, as it would be nice to have extra hands in the north and the trip could give you a chance to bond, but there’s no rush. We’ve got time. This is someone you will potentially know for a very, very long time. You best like them.”

She hangs her head in thought and I leave her to it, guiding her to the dining room. I help her sit before taking my own seat.

Kierra forgoes a chair in favor of my lap, throwing her legs over my own while wrapping an arm around my neck. A finger trails up from my navel to stroke my chin before drawing me into a kiss.

“Continue your talk,” she whispers before ducking her head. I hum in pleasure as her lips brush against my neck, eyes moving to a blushing Alana. “Did you, hah, want to ask me anything else?”

She tears her gaze from Kierra, clearing her throat. “Ah, yeah. What is our teacher going to be?”

“It’s a…” I bite my lip as a hand slips under my shirt. “…surprise.”

“You aren’t going to tell me anything? Like why you want so many people there?”

“Remember I said, ah, said it’s important to find a being whose ideas and beliefs align with ours? For me, someone who admires beauty, good drink, and freedom. For you, someone who puts…hah, s-strong values on bonds and detests injustice. Beautiful w-women surrounding me will make the contract negotiations easier.”

“You want another pervert around,” she mutters, eyes following the hand that pushes into my pants.

It takes a moment to answer as Kierra wastes no time entering me with two fingers, the sensations consuming all my attention. “Someone…who can…ahh, appreciate a…pervert, more like.”

“You can still speak.” Kierra hums as she crawls off my lap, pushing aside my legs as she settles between them. “I must work harder.”

162