Monster Two – Want
5k 8 266
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you want more to read, consider joining my Patreon! Or check out my other original works:
Love Crafted (Interactive story about an eldritch abomination tentacle-ing things!) - Completed
Stray Cat Strut (A cyberpunk system apocalypse!) - Ongoing
Cinnamon Bun (A wholesome LitRPG!) - Ongoing
Fluff (A superheroic LitRPG about cute girls doing cute things!) - Vol One Complete!
Dead Tired (A comedy about a Lich in a Wuxia world doing Science!) - Hiatus
The Agartha Loop (A Magical-Girl drama!) - Ongoing
Lever Action (A fantasy western with mecha!) - Ongoing

Monster Two - Want

I walked carefully along the edge of the wall, one hand out and trailing against the rough brickwork to help keep my balance.

I didn’t feel dizzy, but I did feel weak. My legs were heavy, as if something were clinging to them, and staying upright was tiring.

Moving ahead, I paused by a window cut into the wall. A huge thing, with glass from hip-height all the way up where the window ended at an arch. Leaning against the base, I looked out of the castle and onto the wider world beyond.

The view from this window was no different than the view from the others I had looked out of. A world of dark rocks under a grey sky. A purple haze floated bare metres off the ground in swirling patches that rotted away any weeds that dared poke out from the ground.

Sometimes the ground dipped, or a large crack ran across it. These were always filled with black tar. The surface would sometimes bubble and a creature of black skin and white bone would crawl out of the muck.

I had to squint to make out any of the smaller details. Still, I could tell that the world outside was dangerous.

Two moons hung above, one of them pearly and white and cracked, with a chunk of it missing and a ring of stone hovering around it. The other, smaller, was pitch black and only visible as a circle of missing stars.

I supposed that it was almost pretty, in a way. Just like my new name.

Valeria.

I wondered if it meant anything.

“Do you know?” I asked as I half-turned.

Milpiés, the Long Librarian, eyed me carefully, the huge centipede-like monster wrapped around the edges of the corridor to fit its entire body in. It... he, I supposed, because he looked like a boy monster, didn’t seem to mind me leaving my room to walk about and explore.

“About my name, I mean,” I explained. “You’re a librarian, right? You should know.”

“It means brave.”

I spun and faced the end of the corridor.

The Goddess of Darkness was walking my way. Her entire body swaying gently with every step, and despite her statuesque height, she seemed almost small compared to the creatures flanking her.

I squinted at one of the monsters.

[Falanen - The Breaker of Men - Greater Servant of the Dark God]
Scourge of Burning Fists

That was a fitting name for someone with fists as big around as I was tall. He was a nice looking fellow, with veiny, pebbled skin, and a whole bunch of cute spikes across his shoulders and back. “Hello,” I said both to the monsters and to the Dark Goddess.

“Hello child,” the Goddess said. “You’re up and about then?”

“I am,” I confirmed with a nod. “My name really means brave?”

The goddess made a noise again. I suspected it was the closest thing the woman had to a laugh. “It does, yes.”

“Does that mean you think I’m brave?”

“Perhaps. Or perhaps I am not so cruel as to call you Temerius.”

I didn’t know what that meant. “Well, thank you, it’s a very pretty name. What’s yours?”

One of the goddess’ eyebrows perked up. “I have had a few. Most just call me the god of Darkness, or the Dark Goddess.”

“But that’s a title, not a name,” I said.

“That is true. Luciana Malvada is the name I once called my own, before the titles. Few know of it. Fewer dare to use it.”

“That’s a very pretty name too,” I said. I smiled up at the Dark Goddess, at Luciana, until my dimples hurt. “We both have pretty names.”

“Precocious one, aren’t you?”

“Thank you, I think,” I said. I tried to smile harder, but I couldn’t.

Then the Dark God’s hand was around my chin and my head was pulled back just a little so that I had no choice but to look into the god’s black eyes. “Child. Valeria. Bravery is strength in the face of fear. I did not name you so because I merely found you courageous. I bestowed the name upon you because I can see your fear.”

I swallowed and tried to keep my smile on. “Um, I don’t know what you mean?” I tried. My legs began to wobble a bit. Did I have to pee?

Luciana made that noise again, her sort-of-laugh. “I see you’re working to live up to the name,” she said as she let go of my chin. “Tell me, what do you want?”

“What do I want?” I repeated. I blinked. I wanted... well, I wanted... “I don’t know?” I admitted. “Lunch, maybe?”

“Is that all? Your only desire is to fulfil some base need?”

I shook my head. Saying ‘yes’ sounded like the wrong answer, and while I didn’t remember much, I did know that I didn’t like being wrong. “No. I... I guess I don’t know what I want, but I know that I want something?”

The Dark Goddess tilted her head as if considering that. “Yes, I suppose that would be fair. Do you know why I spared you?”

“Um, no?”

“Because you might be entertaining. I surround myself with powerful creatures and beasts of immense strength, but so little of what I have around me is different and new. I am giving you a chance.”

I didn’t know what that meant, exactly, but Luciana had been nice so far, so I decided that the best thing to do was think real hard about what she said.

I put on my thinking face and stared off to the side. The Dark God looked at me strangely for a bit, but she didn’t interrupt me or anything.

What did I want in life?

I felt like that was a pretty big question for someone who had skipped breakfast.

“You said you have a bunch of strong people working for you already, right?” I asked.

She nodded.

That made sense. She was a goddess, so she had strong friends. Also, I bet she was really strong too. Probably. I didn’t really have much of a frame of reference, but she lived in a big huge castle and had handsome monsters serving her, so I figured it was a safe assumption to make.

So, she didn’t need someone strong. What did she need?

Did I want to become someone that she needed?

I looked up to her. “Will you kick me out if I don’t want to serve you?”

The god blinked, then her lips quirked just a little. “No. It’s rare to have company. Though I must warn you, brave little child, that your appearance alone will make you an enemy of mankind.”

“Oh,” I said. That wasn’t nice. That was very not-nice. I nodded. I could fix that. “Then I’ll change people’s minds.”

[Congratulations!]
[Through your actions you have unlocked the potential to obtain the following classes:
Prophet of Chaos

“Oh, I got a new class thing! Prophet of chaos. Is that a good one?”

Luciana reached down and, very carefully, patted me on the head. “No, I don’t think that’s one you want to take, child. Though it certainly has potential. I wonder, how much of that was you considering my words and how much was you allowing yourself to be distracted?”

I felt my cheeks warming up. Right, I was supposed to be thinking. I even let my thinking face fall. Still... “Wasn’t that an answer, though?”

“You truly think that you will be able to change people’s opinions?” she asked. “Knowing as little as you do?”

“Uh, maybe? If I try really hard?”

The Dark Goddess’ expression was neutral, but there was a glint in her eyes. I think she liked my answer. “Follow me. I think I shall set aside my question for now. We shall return to it once you have the context and knowledge to truly understand what is at stake.”

“Okay?” I asked.

She started walking, and I ran to catch up to her. She didn’t look like she was going fast, but she had really long legs.

Then she started to climb the stairs, and it was all I could do not to huff and puff the whole way up. I still felt heavy and weak, but Luciana had said that I should follow her, so I did.

I hoped that she would lead me somewhere nice!

***

Are You Entertained?

For July only, my Patreon Discord will be available at the $1 tier! That means that for just $1 you can join the Raven's Nest... forever!

Virtual hugs guaranteed!


hHuFYBw.png
Please join my Patreon!

 


Some of my stories are on TopWebFiction!
-Cinnamon Bun
-Stray Cat Strut
-Lever Action
-Dead Tired
Voting makes Broccoli smile!


The following books are available as paperbacks (and as Ebooks) on Amazon. Oh, and there’s an awesome audiobook for Cinnamon Bun Volume One and Two, and also Love Crafted!

9vQeXd6.jpgdY1D2qj.jpgk5Otibe.jpg33600-stray-cat-strut-a-young-ladys-journey-to.jpg?time=1621627122
(The images are links!)

All proceeds go to funding my addiction to buying art paying for food, rent, and other necessities!

Thank you so much for all your support everyone! And thank you extra hard for allowing me to do this for a living; I’ll do my best to keep you entertained!

266