Chapter 4
165 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I pushed the books out of my bed and they all fell on the floor.

My room is messy, the books are everywhere but I don't care. I just want to lay down on my bed and stare at the ceiling.

That kid didn't give me storybooks instead, he gave me history books and biography of powerful people from both humans and demons.

There are also ancient-looking books too.

I tried my best to talk to the servants tell them to call the kid here but they just ignored me, pretending that I didn't exist.

I just surrendered and stick to reading these things. Surprisingly, they are pretty interesting. I felt like I'm reading a fantasy novel.

I have read Angelica's biography, there are full of praises for how brave she is, how kind she is, how powerful she is, she is the gods' chosen one, etc. I keep frowning while reading it because this 'Queen Angelica' is described differently from the 'Angelica' that I know. However, my instinct is telling me that they are the same person... I trust my instinct.

The Angelica that I know is an airhead, crybaby, damsel in distress, etc but she is very famous for how cheerful, attractive, cute, and kind she is...Brave? I'm not pretty sure. I haven't seen her do anything that can show her bravery. 

The writer of the book seems to be a fanatic because she always exaggerates everything about Angelica... I'm questioning the credibility of this book.

There are also biographies of Angelica's husband the king and other heroes who helped annihilate the demon king.

Their biographies are also exaggerated. The frown on my forehead just keeps deepening as I continue to read. These books are ridiculous! Who will believe these things! Is the book describing Gods and not humans? They are perfect without any tiny flaws? Only fools will believe this book!

Well, there must be some truths about them in the book but... It's giving me a headache, I don't know anymore.

I also tried to read about the demons and the demon king.

It's also the same! 

This is the reason why fanatics are forbidden to write history! They exaggerated everything about idols!

Despite feeling irritated I just continue reading the books because it also taught me a lot of things about this world. 

The ridiculous part makes me want to throw the book sometimes.

There are a lot of human kingdoms, their ranking, their kings and former kings, people who contributed to the kingdoms, and how their system works. They are all written in the books.

The difference between humans and demons is that the demons only consider the Demon King as their one and only ruler. They are very devoted to their ruler and listen to him/her without question. They will sacrifice their life for him without hesitation.

That's pretty interesting.

Unlike humans who are always scheming and power-hungry, the demons know their place and won't dare to think about defying their ruler or betray him.

Well, the demons are also ranked based on bloodline, so unless they change their blood, they can't go up or down on their status.

The kid seems to have a very high status...obviously the demon king.

The former demon king was killed by Angelica's friends and now the kid became the new demon king...an orphan.

The kid got a lot of things to learn to be a competent ruler. 

He makes decisions without considering the consequences. 

He showed me his weakness just what happened yesterday without thinking that I might use it against him. 

I know that he still doesn't know how to scheme because he's a kid. 

An environment where everyone respects you because of your bloodline... why do even need to learn how to scheme?

Well, it's not my problem... No, wait! It's now my problem too! I'm his territory. If this place got destroyed then.

I gulped. 

I'll be eliminated together with them. The human side will think that I'm an evil person who has a connection with the demons. Humans can very unreasonable!

I closed my eyes and tried to erase my thoughts. 

Stop thinking and go to sleep.

***

"Why are you here?"

I put down the book that I'm reading and looked at the kid who's in front of me.

"S-sorry. A-am bothering you?" He looked down and hold his hand together not daring to look at me.

"Not at all. Do you need something?"

"I-I...I...I-I..."

"You what? Say it!"

"N-nothing."

"You came here for nothing?"

"I-I heard from the s-servants that you're u-unsatisfied with the b-books."

Oh, I thought the servants pretend that I was air. I didn't think they listened to me and delivered my message.

"Yes, I was but reading these books helped me a lot in understanding this world. It's totally different from my world."

"D-different? How different?"

"A huge difference! The way we choose a leader is different. Magic doesn't exist in our world. We survive through the use of science."

"D-do demons also e-exist there?"

"I'm not sure. I haven't seen one. Oh right! I have seen many, within the hearts of the people."

"What do you mean?"

"You won't understand. In short, it's different. Did you come only to ask me about the books or is there something else?"

"I-I came here to ask what kind of w-work do you want?"

"So you're letting me choose what kind of work I want?"

"Y-Yes."

"Any kind of job?"

"A-anything."

"Are you sure?"

"Y-yes."

I pat his head and raised his head for him to look at me in the eyes.

"You've got a very bad habit of saying that. It's not good."

"I—"

"What if I ask to take off your job? As a Demon King?"

"Wha—"

"No need to talk. I know. You make things so obvious that I'm starting to think that it's cute."

I saw him clench his fist.

"Will you teach me?"

I frowned because he's looking at me as if he's very determined.

What's wrong with this kid?

I raised my eyebrows. "Teach you what?"

"To read people and also, making decisions."

"I thought I was going to choose my job?"

"I...I..."

"I was just kidding. I'm only 15 years old though. I don't know if I can help you with those things."

"You're only 15?"

"What? Do I look older?"

"N-no but everyone just always agrees to me, I don't think I'll be a good ruler they keep doing that."

"Oh, you've noticed. Well, this means you'll be a good ruler."

"H-huh?"

"Because you see the flaws of you and your people. You always thought of a way to correct it. Not everyone can do that considering the environment that you're living."

"T-thank you."

"It's a surprise that you didn't grow up being arrogant. Are you always this humble? Well, it's not like it's my business to care about how you act. Though, I don't know if I can advise you with anything. I've only lived for 15 years meaning I only had 15 years of experience."

"I-I don't mind. Y-You can just teach me the things that you know."

"How old are you?'

"I-I'm 13."

"I feel bad for you."

"W-Why?"

"You need to carry a very huge burden despite your age. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you."

"Thank you very much!" He looks directly into my eyes, giving me a very smile. I can't help but cover my eyes, it may blind me.

7