21. Blooming
464 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kai drove his car home and then parked it in the parking lot. The parking lot was underground protected by multiple security guards. He locked his car's doors and then took the elevator up to the 20th floor. On the 20th floor, was a ladder that you could use to climb on to the ceiling of the building. On top was a huge red circle with an H in the middle. He wanted to see the view of the city from the top but Lexi was waiting for him. He had told her that he would be home 6:30 the latest and it was already 6:25. Traffic was unusually busy tonight, 'I wonder what's going on tonight.' but he brushed the thought off and then opened his house door. As he did a wave of spices and herbs rushed into his face.

"Oh good, you are here," Lexi said while she took out a tray of lasagne from the oven and put it on the counter. It looked beautiful with the golden cheese melted on top. Then she rushed to the deep fryer and took out the fries. They shone with a golden brilliance as the oil dripped off of them. Then she carefully inserted it into the two plates. After that, she moved to the microwave to take out the steaks. The microwave was keeping the meat warm without cooking the meat so it retained all it's juices as if it was just made. Then she placed the salad into their plates. The salad looked like it was made by a seasoned chef. The slices were cut without hesitation and had minimal variation. Lastly, she took a spatula and cut the lasagna by the corner and placed one block into each of their plates. When she was done she wiped the sweat off her forehead and then smiled at Kai, "Dinner is served."

Looking at the spread on the plates, Kai's eyes bulged and his eyebrows raised. It looked fan-tastic! It had all the colours and all the food groups, 'This is a meal!' Kai excitedly took his plate and sat down on the couch. While waiting for Lexi to sit down, the smells of the food whirled in his nose. He took a deep breath from his nostrils as the smells of the food blended into one. He could now no longer hold his patience. He wanted to dig in as soon as possible. It had been months since he ate a proper meal. Luckily in the next moment, Lexi sat next to him. He then looked at her, she had her fork and knife in her hands. She returned the glance to Kai and grinned.

When Kai saw her grin, he thought, 'Say no more.' And started digging in. He first started with the salad as it required the least amount of skill. The degree in how bad it could taste was a lot less than the other foods. He didn't want to spoil his appetite so early on. Just because the food looked great didn't mean it did... Kai took his fork and then poked it into some lettuce, then he guided his fork to some nicely cut tomatoes and poked them too. He then placed it into his mouth. As he chewed on it, the juices gushed out. They were of a Superior standard and very fresh. Kai tasted hints of salt and pepper and there was salad dressing poured over that he couldn't distinguish. Nonetheless, it tasted a lot better than he expected. In fact, he was greatly pleased.

After the salad, Kai moved onto the fries. He poked his fork into a few of them. To his surprise, the fork slid right in. Then he put the fries into his mouth and chewed, 'Mmm, the outside is crispy but the inside is soft and light," He nodded his head in satisfaction, 'It is also magnificently seasoned. The salt level is just right with a touch of parsley for added flavour,' Kai grinned and then ate a few more fries before moving onto the steak.

Kai cut took his knife and cut into the meat. It only required one swipe with the knife to cut the meat. It was soft and tender. Then he took the cut of steak and saw that it was a beautiful pink inside. This was a prime example of a medium-rare steak, 'It's medium to rare to see a steak so well done.' After fawning at the presentation, he placed the steak into his mouth and chewed. Immediately the meat broke apart in his mouth and the flavours burst forth. The spices, the marinate, the meat, everything came together as one, nothing worked staccato. While chewing, Kai closed his eyes savouring every moment he could. How he wished he could enter lightning hyperdrive. If he could, he would able to experience this bliss for longer. After the flavours had washed away, Kai swallowed the meat and unhesitantly took another bite. The result was the same. It was Heaven on Drars, 'This tastes far better than Jijitos. I assumed it would either be palatable or good. Not the best I've ever head!' Upon this realisation, Kai knew that there was no way Lexi could have cooked this. Despite her best efforts to hide that it was takeout. She made a mistake by ordering out from a high-end restaurant. This was like burying a body but putting a sign on top of it, 'Body down here.' Kai laughed inwardly at his joke and then moved onto the lasagne.

But just as he was cutting into the lasagne he felt two eyes staring at him. Kai furrowed his eyebrows and pouted his slips slightly. Then he looked at the stimulus only to find Lexi looking at him. She looked at him with her chin slightly raised and her eyebrows too. Her eyes were wide open causing her to blink more than normal. Seeing this face Kai thought, 'Is this that face!?'

←←←←←←←←←

7 years ago at the Adler residence. Kai was having dinner with his mother, brother and father. Juliette Adler his older sister couldn't make it for work-related reasons. It was a cold winters evening and Brianna Adler had whipped up a mighty meal. There was fried chicken, fries, lasagne, steaks, salads, pigs in a blanket, all their favourite foods on the table. Excited the Adler residence dished themselves some food and dug right in.

Sebastien Adler was a statuesque man with jet black hair like his mother. His eyes were Bleu de France, deep-set and narrow. He had a square-shaped face and sat upright exuding countenance and grace. He took the serving spoon and dished himself some lasagne and fried chicken. He then poked his fork in the lasagne and ate. Sebastien Adler rarely came home because he worked a demanding job. At this time he was still working at GQ corporation in Shiyca, as an engineer in a top firm, he was pushed to create results. War bred and required innovation.

After the Adler's had all eaten till they looked paunchy, Brianna looked at Zack. She didn't say a word she just stared. Zack sighed inwardly, "Listen up boys. Listen to what I say very carefully. When a woman has made you food and she looks at you like this. She wants to know how the food tastes. Burn this sight into your memory." Then he looked at his wife, "It tastes great honey."

→→→→→→→→→→

Lexi continued to stare at Kai just as Brianna did. Seeing the similarities in their expressions it was undeniable. Lexi wanted to hear what Kai thought of the food she had supposedly cooked. Kai sighed inwardly, 'How can I say it tastes good when she didn't even make it...?' Then he sighed again, "The food tastes amazing. But it's supposed to since it's takeout, right?"

Lexi furrowed her eyebrows, "It's not, I made it myself."

Kai furrowed his brows, "Nah, I don't believe it. Since we have been here I have never seen you cook. You always eat takeouts. Besides, why would you always order takeout if you can cook better food?"

When Lexi heard Kai's reply she narrowed her eyes as her eyebrows creased. She clenched her jaw and gripped her fork. Then she dropped the fork and sucked in her lips while smiling. After that, she picked up her fork and then she stood up with her plate of food in hand. From above, Lexi glared at Kai and then left the tv room and went to her room.

BAM!

The door slammed shut leaving a silent house in its wake. Kai just sat there on the couch wide-eyed and his eyes wide open, 'Oh damn, I done did it now...' He sighed, 'But she should have admitted where she was wrong. Like you didn't make the food, no biggie, we move on...' Kai stopped thinking for a while and then sighed again, 'I guess, I shouldn't have openly revealed the truth to her. No less while we were still eating... She went out of her way to help me and then I did this. Should have just listened to my father and said the food was great... I'll apologize tomorrow.'

When Kai realised he was in the wrong, he walked to her bedroom door and knocked on the door while calling her name but she never replied. He knocked on the door again and still she never replied. He tried one last time but the only answer he got, was silence. However, the silence was answer enough, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'

After his failed attempt to apologize, Kai ate the rest of the food. It still tasted good but it had a phantom sour aftertaste. After eating, he put his dishes in the dishwasher and then went to his room. He then practised how he was going to apologize and went to sleep.

The next morning, Kai woke up and made two cups of coffee. He then practised his lines in his head while he waited for Lexi. However, she never came out of her room. Kai shook his head and then went to his room to go and dress, 'If she didn't want coffee she would definitely still run with me.' But contrary to his expectations she never came out of her room. So Kai had to go alone, he couldn't wait any longer. While running Kai realised how boring it was. He couldn't believe this was how it used to be. With Lexi, it was fun as they were always competing and laughing. By himself it was dull... Kai sighed and then jogged home. He then took a shower and went to his room to change into his work clothes. After that, he placed a bar of chocolate that he had bought from the convenience store on the kitchen counter. He also wrote a little note and placed it on top of it. Then he left for work. The entire morning Kai didn't see Lexi so he couldn't say sorry. He didn't expect the chocolate and note would make her forgive him. But he hoped it would at least grant him the opportunity to apologize.

Two hours after, Kai left the house, Lexi came out of her room and yawned while rubbing her eyes. She wasn't wearing light make-up as nobody was home to see her. She made herself a cup of coffee. When she did she saw the note and the chocolate then she showered. After showering she put on some light make-up and dressed into her casual clothes. Then she sat in front of the tv and watched The Royals until it was time to leave for practice. Before she left she did one last thing.

Lexi got to the Montreal Estate and then entered the training room. Her dad was already there and waiting for her. When she got into the ring they began training until her time was finished. After training, she sat down at the bar and ate some food.

When Lexi started eating, Kai walked into the training room. The first thing he did was look towards Lexi and waved at her. However, she ignored him. Then she took the box wrapper of the food that had her family's logo on top of it and placed it next to her food. Then she glared at Kai and returned to eating.

Kai sighed, 'Looks like she isn't over it. I guess I'll give her space and focus on training for now.'

So Kai walked into the ring and then began his individual training with Jacques. They were practising the spear today. Kai was talented with the spear but exceptionally gifted with the bow. So he needed more time learning the spear. Currently, he was going over The Lightning God's spear art's first to the third form as that was all he could at this level. The rest could only be done when he was an Amateur and above. There were 12 forms in total, all powerful enough to be used alone. But when chained together the power increased tremendously for each chain successfully performed.

After training, Kai sat down at the bar. This time he didn't sit next to Lexi but 5 seats away. He figured he would give her space, 'When she stops glaring at me I'll be able to approach her.' He then took out a water bottle from his bag and drank the contents. When he did his energy returned to him, 'So glad I thought of a contingency plan if she didn't want to talk to me.' After drinking he rested for an hour then Jacques called them up to the ring, so they went. When Kai got there he looked at Lexi with his eyes wide open and bulged, 'I'm sorry.' His lips moved but there was no sound.

Lexi's nostrils flared in anger and then she looked at her father ready for the okay to begin sparring. Kai took it that she wasn't ready yet. He sighed then looked at Jacques ready for the go sign.

Jacques observed the strange behaviour and recognised it immediately. There had been many times he was in the doghouse with his wife. In the end, he shook his head, 'Best not to get involved.' So he looked at the two and then gave the go ahead. Immediately they blasted off, however, Lexi darted off first and faster than usual. Then she began fighting Jacques Montreal. Kai came in after and began the fighting. However, when they fought together it was like they had never trained together before. They were bumping into each other, getting into each other's ways. Almost injuring one another with their weapons. Jacques had to stop the fight over and over again until eventually, he couldn't handle it anymore, "What is wrong with you two!? Are you even trying? There is no teamwork from you two whatsoever. I have more important things to do than to train the unwilling."

After Jacques spoke, Kai looked at Lexi, "I'm sorry. I've said it over and over. What else do you expect me to say?"

Lexi just looked at Kai, shook her head and then left the ring and exited the training room.

Kai sighed with his hand on his creased forehead and shook his head.

Observing the situation, Jacques asked, "What happened? Why were you two so out of sync."

Kai sighed, "We were having dinner last night. The food tasted amazing. It was so amazing that I'm convinced Lexi didn't cook it. I confronted her about it. I meant it as a joke though. Anyway, long story short she said she did cook it and was offended I thought she didn't. We haven't spoken since..."

While listening to Kai, Jacques expression changed, "What!? Lexi cooked for you?"

"She claims she did..."

"What did she make!?"

Kai furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, "She made some steak, fries, salad and lasagne. All my favourite foods. She at least did her research."

Jacques shook his head, "No that's my favourite meal... I have been trying to get Lexi to cook for me for years. She always refuses. Ever since her mother passed away..."

Kai's eyes opened wide as a yucky feeling welled up inside of him, "Mother passed away?"

Jacques tilted his head to the left, "You didn't know..." Then he sighed, "My wife passed away five years ago." His voice was rife with pain and then pursed his lips, "My wife loved to cook, it was her escape. She damaged her nerves when we were fighting the Zolma back in our day. We were careful about it but one night she passed away in her sleep..." He said taking a deep breath, " As a young girl, Lexi admired her mother greatly. She admired her strength, her beauty, creativity, and mercy. I would often walk into the kitchen and watch them as they were immersed in the art of cooking. Because my wife loved to cook so did Lexi. My wife taught her everything she knows, cooking was how they communicated, it connected them. However, when she passed away, Lexi stopped cooking. It reminded her of her mother who she misses dearly... I've been trying to get her to cook for me for years. Now I'm hearing she decided to cook for you. And then you went and accused her of ordering takeout..." He took a deep breath then took a moment, "As I watch Lexi grow up, she becomes more and more like her mother. So I know she will be merciful to you if you apologize sincerely."

Kai closed his eyes and scrunched his face, "I'm so sorry, I didn't know."

Jacques shook his head, "I'm not the one you should be apologizing to... Go! Don't waste any more time."

"Yes, sir," Kai said running out the training room in a mess.

Watching Kai run off all frantic and worried made him laugh inside, 'Don't worry Lara, I daughter will be okay.'

Running out the training room, Kai searched left and right, 'Where is she?' He darted down the halls of the mansion almost crashing into furniture, 'Where did she go?' Kai kept running until he finally found a maid, "Where is Lexi, have you seen her?"

"The young miss... She left with a chauffeur a few minutes ago."

Kai pursed his lips, "Do you know where she went?"

"I'm afraid not."

Tsk!

Kai clicked his tongue, "Thanks anyway." Then he ran off to his car. If she wasn't here she had to be home, he hoped. Kai climbed in his car and drove. He put his pedal to the metal and off he went. He drove through traffic rushing to get home.

"Move! It is your turn!" A guy in a car in front of him was on his cellphone and didn't notice the green light. Kai honked and the cars behind him honked but there was no movement, 'This guy!'

Seeing that the guy was not moving, Kai decided to cut past him since the oncoming lane was empty. He turned his car to the right and then drove to the right and then cut back in. As he did the immobile car started moving forward. But Kai was already far ahead and on his way home.

Kai walked into the house and saw that the tv room was empty. However, the lights were on in the apartment so there was hope. Kai walked past the kitchen and saw there was a note on the table. He picked it up and read it, 'Dinner is in the microwave.'

Kai heaved a sigh of relief, 'I finally got through to her. I still need to apologize though...' After reading the note, Kai walked to the microwave, 'I wonder what dinner is. There wasn't much time between us so this time it has to be takeout. But I'll gladly accept it.'

Kai opened the microwave and looked inside. As he laid his eyes upon the treat inside, his eyebrows raised. Inside the microwave was the chocolate he had bought for her. Kai pursed his lips and shook his head, 'It can't carry on like this anymore.'

Kai walked out the kitchen door and then knocked on her bedroom door. There was no reply. He knocked on the door again, "Lexi com'mon we need to talk about this. I'm sorry, I really am sorry." Kai apologised again and still, there was no reply.

Kai took a deep breath, "I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings... I was so stupid, I know. You went out of your way to cook for me. And instead of being grateful, I spat it all in your face. Accusing you of ordering takeout. I really am sorry. I feel, awful!"

After Kai spoke there was no reply from her again. Yet, he heard a few sounds scraping against the door. Taking this opportunity Kai said, "Look I'm not leaving until we talk. I'll stand here all night if I have to. I'll say it a thousand times if have to. I am sorry."

Kai was about to apologise again when he heard rustling behind the door. In the next moment, the door opened inwards and there Lexi stood. She had the door handle in her hands then she let go of it and crossed her arms, "And?"

When the door opened, Kai finally saw her but when he did he lost his words and froze. They were standing so close to each other and from close up she looked so much more attractive.

Lexi creased her brows, "Have you got something to say?"

Kai came out of his trance and then said, "Can I come in?"

She nodded her head and then let him in. As soon as he walked past her, her pleasant perfume pervaded past him. He then sat on her Queen-sized bed and looked around. The colour theme was white, black and turquoise. She had a desk and a chair as well as a bookshelf filled with books. There were paintings of beautiful places in the world. Some lost and some still there. The white walls also had artistic doodles on them.

When Kai had finished looking around Lexi sat next to him on the edge of the bed. He took a deep breath and looked into her eyes, "Thanks for hearing me out. Sorry for being so forceful but I needed to talk to you... So I heard from your dad the real reason you are angry." When he said this Lexi sucked in her lips, "He told me about your mom. Flip, Lexi I had no idea! I would never have said that if I knew. I feel horrible and I can't imagine how I made you feel... You haven't cooked in years but you were willing to do that for me. For me! And I threw it in your face. It frustrates me! I'm so sorry..." He said remorsefully.

Lexi could see the sincerity in his body language and hear it in his tone. She sighed, "I forgive you."

Kai's eyes bulged as they opened wide, "Really!?"

"Really, it's not right what you did but I understand why you thought so."

"Aaah Thank you! Today has been one of the worst days of my life. Knowing I hurt you sucked the life out of everything I did. Even running this morning was so boring without you which is weird because I have been running alone for years."

"My day was boring too and our morning coffee didn't taste the same..."

Kai smiled, "That's because I didn't make it. I add something special to the coffee."

Lexi didn't know which way to take it, 'Does he mean he adds something to the flavour, Like an ingredient. Or is does he mean that his presence somehow changes the coffee's flavour.' In the end, she chose the ingredient as the option, "The machine makes the coffee."

Kai furrowed his eyes in confusion but eventually caught on, "Yeah, but even still you need to choose how many parts what..." He paused for a while, "I tell you what. Let's open up a bottle of wine, sit by the fireplace and talk. We can talk about our lives before we met. It doesn't have to be too deep. I want to know more about you... You know so that I don't make the same mistake of course."

Lexi smiled, "I can do that."

With that, Kai stood up and walked out of their room. Then he walked to the fireplace and lit the fire. Immediately golden motes of light warmed up the place. Then Kai went to the kitchen and took two wine glasses and a bottle of wine from the cupboards and brought it to the fireplace. When he did Lexi sat down too. There were no seats so they were sitting on a rug. The rug was soft and fluffy.

Kai took the glasses and poured in the red wine until their glasses were half full. Then he put the bottle on the ground and looked at Lexi who had her hair illuminated by the light of the fire, "So I'll go first. I'm born in Drauton, I don't know my real parents. All I know is that they both are lightning wielders. Uhm, I have an older brother and an older sister, not biological of course but you already know this... Uhm when I was younger I used to get teased for being weak and I was but I never gave up. I kept fighting until I became the man I am today. This makes me strong-willed and prideful. I don't have a, the world revolves around me ego but I do believe I have what it takes to be King."

Lexi nodded her head, " I'm born in Strera, I have an older brother but he left the house when my mother passed away... I was too was teased and shunned when I was younger but it was for being too strong and too beautiful. I made everyone around me feel worthless. Because of that, I held back, it was never my intention to make people feel that way. I did until my father said I shouldn't hold back and fight with all I have... This is what makes me so strong-willed and prideful. I too think the world doesn't revolve around me but I know I have what it takes to be Queen."

Kai smiled and then he looked to the right and saw pictures of her when she was younger. He picked one of the frames up and looked at it. When he did, he furrowed his eyebrows then he looked at her and then back at the picture and furrowed them some more.

Lexi laughed, "That was back when I was getting ostracised for my looks. I used to purposefully make up blemishes and uneven skin tones to fit in."

'Wow, the beautiful have it rough in their own way too.' Then he smiled and raised his right brow, "If that was the case, why did you give yourself a beauty mark? That's hot."

Hearing Kai's words, Lexi's cheeks turned red as she grinned. However, she immediately changed the subject and then they talked and laughed for hours. When their glasses were empty they were refilled until it was finished. Then they would fetch another one and refill the cups until they were half full. Bottle after bottle went down and was taken from the wine cabinet. As surpassers, they had a higher tolerance for alcohol. At least that's what they thought.
→→→

The next morning Kai woke up. As he opened his eyes he saw, Lexi standing in front of a mirror above her desk. She was standing in her panties and her bra. Her back was hunched so that she could see her full face inside the mirror. In her hand was a concealer brush.

Kai looked around the room and realized he was not in his room but hers... Then he looked down at himself and saw he was topless. He opened the duvet and saw he was in his boxers. Kai pieced the information together but shook his head. Then he sat upright against the headboard of the bed. When he did he saw his combat gear lying all over the ground intertwined with Lexi's. Seeing this Kai gulped and then looked towards Lexi, "Did we?"

Lexi chuckled and then turned around, "No, trust me, you'd remember." She said then swayed her hips as she walked out the room. Lexi walked to the shared bathroom and then looked in the mirror. She took a deep breath and then washed her face clean of make-up. Then she walked past her room and turned on the tv.

In Lexi's room, Kai was still lying in bed. He was happy that he did not lose his virginity only because he wanted to remember it. After a while, Kai heard the tv go on so he climbed out of bed and walked to the tv room. He was standing behind the couch on the right side of Lexi. He looked at Lexi who had her eyes fixed on the screen. Her focused look was captivating but then he noticed something. Near the bottom of her right cheek, she had a small beauty mark. When he saw that all the lights switched on in his head and he grinned. Then he looked at the tv screen.
---
On tv was a female reporter, "All the clans are currently preparing for another joint expedition in no man's land. I am here at the lightning clan in Strera speaking to Alexander Degrey, the Clanmaster of this branch."

"We have been tasked to eradicate the Zolma on the border of Athra. As always we will accomplish this task swiftly and flawlessly."

"And what place do you think your clan will come?" The reporter said and stifled a chuckle, "My apologies something was in my throat." Then she looked at Alexander Degrey waiting for his answer.

Alexander was seething with rage, 'They request an interview with me just to berate my clan on live television,' However, he put on a friendly and professional smile, "I don't know. The other clans are large and have very powerful surpassers. It will be a close fight for sure but I have confidence in my clan."

"You heard that first here. The lightning clan say they are confident they will win..." She said with a hint of mockery and disdain.

Alexander just smiled and then looked into the camera, "We might be a smaller clan compared others but we are not ashamed! Our lightning boasts pure destructive power! If you think you have what it takes, join us. Bring glory to your clan." After his speech, he smirked at the reporter and folded his arms.

The reporter was furious and it showed, 'Damn it! I'm going to hear it from my bosses. I was supposed to make them look bad. Instead, he made a powerful call to arms on tv... I will be able to navigate it if no powerful surpassers join the clan. Then, in fact, this footage could give me a promotion.'
------

Seeing what just happened, Kai looked at Lexi, "Our time to fight has come."

Lexi looked into Kai's eyes, "Let's give them hell!"

9