Chapter 3: Choices
219 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The inside of the Temple was pitch-black. Dawn waited for her eyes to accustom themselves to the gloom, but accepted after several minutes that she wouldn’t be able to see a thing. Carefully she felt her ways forwards between the benches until she reached the little fence where the priest’s part of the Temple began.

Clumsily, she fumbled around until she found the little gate on the side, opened it and stepped in. Here, a small glimpse of moonlight fell in through the side windows, and she could just make out the stern figurines of the Allfather and the Goddess in front of her. Taking a deep breath, she stepped forwards and touched the figurine of the Goddess. Expectantly, she waited for a long tense moment but nothing happened. At long last a text seemed to be forming in front of her eyes.

Name: Dawn
Location: Greenriver Village
Age: 14
Time to Awakening: 124 days

She read, thankful that at first her mother and later Marjah had taught her to read. Not many of the village girls were given that opportunity. Nothing else happened. Dawn let out her breath and cursed. “Frozen hells!”
Of course, it wasn’t that easy. Seemingly the Goddess was not willing to bless her before her Awakening day. Cursing silently and feeling let down, she stood. What could she do? She rubbed her nose and looked around.

The Allfather and the Warrior reserved their blessings for the boys. The Allfather was the Patron of trades- and craftsmen and the Warrior that of Soldiers. She knew little about the Moonmaiden, other than Art was her domain. But Dawn felt no special gift for music or sculpting so that was not really an option for her either. Doubtfully she went over and stood in front of the Trickster’s figurine at last.
As God of thieves and rogues he had a bad reputation in Greenriver village. Shaking her head at her own folly, she reached out to the figurine. It was not as if she expected anything to happen. If the Goddess would not bless her before her 15th birthday, it was pretty unlikely any other God would.

As she tentatively touched the Trickster’s representation, a little spark zapped her hand and she cried out, startled by the sensation. Shaking her hand, she froze. In front of her, the silvery figurine of the Trickster seemed to come alive.
“My, my, what do we have here? A daring little rabbit. How unexpected!” The velvety voice seemed to sparkle with amusement.
“Don’t you know that you have to wait for your Blessing until you are fifteen, little rabbit?”
Dawn dazedly shook off her stupor and retorted:
“If I wait for my birthday, my father will choose my path, marry me to a man I don’t want to marry and I will have no choices left in my life.”
“Well no choices seem to be a bit of an exaggeration. You could always refuse to marry, could you not?”
“Easy to say that for a God! I don’t see that choice going so well for me. Either I stay with my parents as an unpaid servant, and believe you me, my father would make his displeasure known. Or he might even throw me out and then where will I be, with some homemaker and wife path without the possibility to earn any money?”

The Trickster chuckled.
“You’re not shy in talking back to a God, little rabbit. So, I heard what you do not want to do with your life. Tell me, little one, what is it exactly you wish for?”
“I want to be a wise woman like Marjah. I want to spend time in the forest to collect herbs and roots and mushrooms, brew my own medicines and help the people who are sick with them. I want to earn my own money and to make my own decisions.” Dawn’s voice shook, she was caught between hope and fear. Whatever she had expected from tonight, talking to a God face to face (or at least face to figurine) had never entered her imagination.

“Hmm, healing paths fall under the domain of my oh so serious older sister.” The Trickster turned his face to the Goddess. “Not exactly the choice I’m able to offer you. And She won’t offer you anything before your birthday, be assured. A rulebreaker, my sister is not, contrary to yours truly.”
“Tricky, tricky, but if you can’t enter the Temple from the front, why not go sideways. I am prepared to offer you a choice of Paths here and now. It may not be exactly what you wanted, but it is a choice. Your path is what you make of it in the end. But beware, there is a price to pay for every choice you make. That is true, even if you take the paths my Sister offers you on your birthday.” The Trickster flicked his hand and before Dawn’s eyes words began to form.

Path of the Charming Spider

A charming spider will charm you.
A charming spider will befuddle you.
A charming spider will trap you.

As a charming spider you will charm the willing and unwilling to do your bidding. Weave your webs to achieve your goals and entangle your enemies. Trap and use the unwary in your plots. You will change the lives of many people, most of whom will never remember your name.

Stats per Level:
+1 Int
+1 Cha
+2 free Stats

Dawn read the text and frowned. “It does not sound like a very nice path to me, all that trapping and using people.” She said doubtfully.
“Nice?” The Trickster lifted an eyebrow. “Being nice is a pastime for the weak or those who don’t know better. Why would you want that? Being powerful is always the better choice.” He sighed. “But if that path does not appeal what about this one?”

Path of the Wandering Rogue

A wandering rogue will be a companion on the way.
A wandering rogue will be an entertainer in the evening.
A wandering rogue will be an unseen shadow in the night.

As a wandering rogue you will always be on the lookout for your next mark and your next journey. Travel as a staid merchant or a daring knife thrower. You will find your place in every travelling group and many of your companions may find their luggage lighter than they expected at the end. You will be able to hide yourself in plain sight as well as in the shadows.

Stats per Level:
+1 Dex
+1 Per
+2 free Stats

Dawn read the text and thoughtfully rubbed her nose. “That one sounds suspiciously like a thief to me! Not the way for me, I’m sure.”
The God shook his head sadly and clucked his tongue. “Always with the petty complaints. No appreciation for a Trickster here, I see. Let me think on it.” He pondered for a while.
“So, I have one last possible choice for you. That is all I can do for you today, little rabbit. Here it comes.”

Path of Nature’s Shadow

Nature’s shadow will embrace you.
Nature’s shadow will hide you.
Nature’s shadow will nurture you.

As Nature’s shadow you roam the forests and wilderness unimpeded on your own. You feel at home in nature, and nature in all its forms will bless your path. You will heal your companions and lighten their way. The forest’s trees and shadows will hide you, mountains will hold you in their embrace, plants will love you and animals will befriend you.

Stats per Level:
+1 Per
+1 Agi
+2 free Stats

Dawn smiled, at last she was offered a path she could agree with. Roaming the forest and healing, being a friend to animals, yes. It was not exactly the path of a wise woman, but it sounded like an interesting choice. “Yes!” she said softly. “I will take that path. I will be Nature’s shadow.”

The Trickster gave a twisted little smile. “So, you’re tempted by neither power nor riches, but being one with nature and master of your own path appeals to you. What an interesting little rabbit you turned out to be. I really like the entertaining ones! Bear in mind that every path has its price. The details you will have to find out on your own.”

“Your path is Nature’s shadow.”

His velvety voice had acquired an echo now, that seemed to be vibrating directly inside of her head.
Befuddled, Dawn closed her eyes for a moment and held her forehead.

“You can look at your status now. You have been Blessed and Awakened today. Oh, and one little thing to keep in mind. If you don’t want anyone to know about your Awakening yet, you should avoid your Father Jergen. All Priests have the skills to see that you have been blessed, and by whom. That much is given to them by the Gods as a part of their path.”
“The secrets of your path and skills are your own, though. It takes a very powerful and high-levelled skill to see such information in other people. No one in your little village will have that kind of levels. Choose your stats and skills wisely. I’m looking forward to see what you will be up to.”
“Goodbye little rabbit.” The Trickster winked at her and slowly his figurine lost the impression of life and transformed back into a block of silvery white stone.

Overwhelmed, Dawn sat down on the floor of the temple. ‘That was all kinds of crazy.’ She thought. ‘was it real? I truly hope that I’m not lying in my bed and dreaming of being awakened.’ She pinched herself. “Ouch!”
‘Does not seem like a dream to me.’. Inhaling deeply Dawn said: ‘Status’. Silvery light shimmered in front of her eyes and formed her new status page.

Status screen
       
Name Dawn Trakam  
Location Greenriver Village  
Age 14    
Path Nature's Shadow  
Level 1    
Exp 0/100    
       
HP  80/80 HP Regen 0.8 HP/Min
MP 120/120 MP Regen  8 MP/Min
SP 100/120 SP Regen  9 SP/Min
       
Stats      
       
Strength  7 Willpower 11
Vitality  8 Perception  9
Endurance  9 Intelligence 12
Agility 10 Wisdom  8
Dexterity  8 Charisma  7
       
Free stat points  5    
Free skill points  3    

Almost reverently, Dawn studied her Status. ‘I did it! I really did it! I got my awakening and I made my own choice!’ She felt giddy with excitement.
After studying her Stats she decided to put two of her free stat points in Vitality, and one in Dexterity, Endurance and Perception each. Afterwards she looked at the list of possible skills, but she realized she was too exhausted after all the excitement. Eager as she was to make her choices, it would be better to wait until tomorrow. She needed to study the list of skills first and think about what she would need. Silently, she went on her way back to the cottage.

10