17: Not So Secret
374 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

17: Not So Secret

Alan the innkeeper’s view

While I do generally try not to pry on my guests activities, it’s a little hard to ignore it sometimes. People always seem to forget how poorly the walls and floor of this place block sound, and I spend most of my time immediately beneath some of the rooms. So, add in some ridiculous “advice” from my angel, and it’s not really that hard to figure out my guest is no mage. Still, I didn’t really quite figure out what was going on, until a new guest appeared.

“Greetings m’lady. Your beauty is stunning. The name’s Alpha, pleased to make your acquaintance.” While they were a handsome looking lad, with a very nice voice, the angel’s ranting in my head made it clear they were not human.

“Alpha, there’s a lot of things I’m going to have to teach you if you want to stick around. I’m afraid it’s just impossible for monsters to disguise themselves without going a lot further than you have to accomplish it.”

“Eh?” He’s cute when he’s stunned. Makes me wonder if I could convince him to wear a dress… ah, no Helen (my wife) would get upset if I start playing with someone else like that. 

“The angels will refrain from using information we don’t have when giving advice most of the time, but when it comes to monsters, they tend to not be so strict. It’s obvious my angel doesn’t like you or Lae and I’ve gotten them to spill some info they weren’t supposed to share.”

“Angels? What angels?”

“Oh, did Lae forget to tell you? I suppose she’d find it easy to forget since she’s not hounded by them all the time. Every human has an angel advisor, so you can’t really hide being non-human from people unless you can fool the angels. Don’t worry, most people in town won’t care. Anyone who faithfully followed angel advice, left already for the war. The only people you’ll find in a town like this are those who distrust the angels.”

Lae’s view

Uh… what? Everyone knows I’m not human, or at least suspects it? Everyone in town has been so nice! I suspect Alan wanted me to overhear his conversation with Alpha, considering they had it somewhere I could easily overhear from my room. Though for some reason I couldn’t quite tell where it was from. Makes me wish I understood acoustics better. 

Most of what I overheard was boring, but it did become clear that Alan has figured out I’m the new rumored god of monsters, and that Alpha is a new summoned monster. It also sounds like it won’t be long before the whole town has it figured out. At least Alpha explained some things, and it sounds like Alan is willing to help out. Though not for free of course. They are likely to have some requests for me later. *sigh* Aren’t people summoned to another world supposed to be the ones taking charge and making big decisions? Yet here I am just fumbling about and not really accomplishing much at all on my own.

I do like that people are willing to help me. It just feels like I’m not really living up to my role well. As a god, shouldn’t I be taking a more active role in deciding who is helping me? … maybe Annabelle can help me figure out a way to screen and select people.

Alpha’s view

I suppose being summoned by a god that was also summoned is a pretty big clue I’m not in a normal isekai. So learning that my entire plan of pretending to be human and seducing men and women is doomed to fail is rather fitting. Learning that everyone in town won’t much care that I’m not human is nice, but the fact that there’s an army of loyal angel followers out there is scary. They might be away to wage war for now, but that’s not going to last forever, and there’s no way the god who made those angels will just ignore a new god of monsters forever. I’m going to need a new plan. There’s no way I’ll just trust Lae to handle this. She’s clearly not up to the task of actually building an army and fighting a war, and I’m pretty sure that’s what will be necessary just to survive.

***Author Note***

Oh dear, after carelessly throwing ideas around, a few of them are combining into something far bigger than I’d originally been thinking of. I might need to get creative to avoid disrupting the overall lightheartedness of the story.

14