Chapter 34 – Recruitment Strategy
234 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I don't know how you roped me into this, or even why you think this is a good idea."
"Cough... Miss Planner has been talking about finding... more powerful people, nonstop, ever since I came to the Tower... cough. I thought it would be fun... to help her out. If it's the two of us, working together... we should have no problem."

"Ugh... I just want to go home. Who do you think we should we start with? Nightmare? Doom Dragon?"
"Hahaha. Those two... are a little difficult to get along with. Cough. Let's start with... Dead End."

Black Smoke somehow managed to convince Black Wolf to help him gather ex-members of the Animal Brotherhood to fill out the Chosen Ones' ranks. It was Black Wolf's day off, but he didn't really have anything better to do, so he agreed to help his former friend with his little Animal Brotherhood family reunion idea. The two powerful psychics were sitting on a big bench in the Tower of the Chosen's cafeteria with their phones out, looking through their contact lists.

"Okay, here we go. Dead End. This guy was a real jerk. He was always starting fights with the Devil Skins and getting himself thrown into jail. He had a lot of potential, but he never seemed to learn his lesson."
"Hahahaha! That's true for most people! Why hold it... against him?"

"Do you want to call him, or should I?"
"I'll call him. Cough."

Black Smoke dialed the number, but the other line didn't pick up. He tried again. Still nothing.

"Cough... Hahaha. Maybe you should give it a try, dear leader."
"Yeah... I guess."

When Black Wolf tried, Dead End picked up the phone right away.

"Hey buddy. Dead End... It's me, Ghost Wolf. Yeah, Death Smoke is here with me. I know. We're both still alive. Yeah... yeah. Well, it's nice to hear your voice. It's been awhile. What's going on with you? No, seriously... whoa. Seriously? You should come talk to us. We're with the Chosen Ones, now. We can get you a good spot. Come on down. I'm not kidding. You want to be a member of the Chosen Ones, don't you? Okay... okay. Alright. Yeah. No, it's not like that at all. Me and Death Smoke are both doing pretty well. Sure. Yeah, you can come on down to the Tower. Give me a call when you get here, and I'll let you in. Thanks. Bye."

Amazingly, Black Wolf didn't seem to have any trouble at all convincing Dead End to come check out the Tower of the Chosen.

"Grrgghh! Cough! You've got some serious talent. How'd you manage... to get him to agree to meet with us?"

"Dead End isn't doing so good right now... he's having a hard time finding a serious job. I mean, anyone with a criminal record like his is going to have a hard time going straight."

"Hahaha! If you ask me, he never would've had a record in the first place if he'd just learned to control his emotions and stop picking fights with everyone. Cough. I mean... they never put any heat on either of us."

"You're probably right about that... who's next? I've got Flesh Rake, Guilty Shadow, Happy... we should definitely try to get Happy on board. I miss the little guy. He was such an easygoing person."

"Hahaha! You know, you're right... Cough. When we were together with the Animal Brotherhood, he always seemed to be laughing... even when things got really bad. It's a shame... what happened to him."

"Ugh. I forgot about that. Let's leave him for later. Should we give Nesting Calamity a try? You two always seemed to get along pretty well."

"Grrgh. Alright. It's worth a shot."

Black Smoke called, and there was no answer. Black Wolf tried too, but he couldn't reach him either.

"No luck. I'll send him a text."
"Hahaha. Cough. He might have his phone off or something. It's not really a problem, is it? We have... over a hundred to get through."

"Half of these people are complete psychos. We need to make a list on paper or something. Jackal... no. Lowlife... definitely no."
"Cough. Cough. Grrrrghh. Give me the number... for... Guilty Shadow. He has... a good head on his shoulders."
"Here you go."

Black Smoke took out his phone and dialed the number. Guilty Shadow answered after the third ring.

"Grrrghh... hey. Cough. It's... Death Smoke. Yeah. Hahaha! Alright, alright... cough. I know... Look. I'm not... going to do that... hahahaha! Yeah? Come say that... to my face, then. Hahaha... I want you to bring all your friends too. Cough. Yeah. Good luck. I'll see you there. I'm invincible..."

Black Smoke hung up the phone. He looked at Black Wolf and shrugged his shoulders.

"Hahaha! Cough. Guess I'll have... to go teach him a lesson. I'll see if I can... make him see the light."
"What? What did he say?"

"He said... he wants us to come... to the club tonight. Cough. Do you want to come with? If I can't convince him to join... I'll kill him."
"It's your call. Last time I saw him, I broke his jaw."

"Cough. It would be nice if we could all... get along with each other. But some people are just too stubborn for their own good. Hahahaha!"

6