Chapter 42 – Iterative Design
177 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Miss Planner brought her prototype Soul Shell armor home with her over the weekend. She was so proud of it that she couldn't bear to be away from it for even a second. After months of obsessive work, she had finally finished her masterpiece. The project had been the source of endless hours of frustration and confusion, but now Miss Planner could proudly say she did something that everyone else thought was impossible.

Her Soul Shell was a bizarre mishmash of materials, but it worked. Of course, there was still a lot of work to do before she could present a perfect product and claim the credit she rightly deserved. After she got a chance to try it on, she realized it was just bulky and awkward overall. The leg holes were too big enough to walk around comfortably, and the bodysuit should probably have a zipper on the back. In addition, there was a lot of wasted space around the waist and chest area that could be used to hold weapons or supplies. But problems like that were normal for prototypes. She knew what she needed to fix, and she wanted to get her new armor in front of her employees as soon as possible so they could tell how her amazing she was.

"Hehehe... Jessica is smarter than anyone knows... and much more beautiful, too."

Miss Planner's mind was at peace for the first time in a while. She woke up on Saturday morning with a spring in her step, and she felt ready to take the world by storm. After a protein bar, a shower, and a smoke, she put on her bulky and ridiculous-looking Soul Shell armor and started pacing around her apartment. The Soul Shell wasn't quite perfect, but it was close enough to give her the illusion that she could destroy any enemy in her path. She loved the look and feel of her own creation. It made her feel powerful and invincible. She was so pleased with herself that she couldn't stop smiling.

"I have to take this out for a test run... or something. Maybe I should see if someone wants to come over... or I could go out..."

She was a little worried about what people would think when they saw her wandering around in the early morning wearing a bright purple, blue, and red suit of battle armor, but her desire to see what her new creation was capable of distorted her perception of reality. Before long she was headed out the door with no particular destination in mind.

There was a light rainfall outside, and the clouds hung low in the sky. A cold wind whipped through the air, chaotically blowing trash everywhere. The Soul Shell's clunky metal boots echoed loudly as Miss Planner jogged down the rain-soaked streets of Grandebelle. She ran past the homeless huddling under an overpass and made her way towards downtown.

The Soul Shell helmet was comfortable and snug. The enormous red crystal eye protectors had great visibility, and the padding under her chin kept it firmly fixed to her face as she walked. It was nearly perfect. But the bodysuit was a little too cumbersome. It also didn't fit very well, and the shoulder pads seemed uneven.

"Hmmm... I need to trim some weight off here," she muttered, tugging at her jacket. "Or maybe ease up on the armor plates a bit. I don't like these shoulder plates at all. No. Wait. The boots are too heavy, too. And the arm joints... are stiff. Hmmm..."

Miss Planner turned to the side and stretched out her hand. Her fingers wiggled in the air like eels. The gloves were a little thick, but they were perfectly serviceable.

"I'm sure I can get everything to fit better later. And I bet it's strong enough to make a little discomfort worth it. Hehehe..."

Miss Planner was lost in thought, trying to think of what improvements she could make to the Soul Shell without ruining its overall design. Her head swirled with ideas and possibilities, and her heart sang within her chest. She stomped around the city aimlessly for hours on end, ignoring the stares of strangers and causing a huge commotion wherever she went.

Miss Planner's foray into the Pit ended when she realized she was starting to get hungry. Sadly, she left her apartment without any money, so she had to go back. It was late in the afternoon, and the rain had let up a little but the sky was still dark and ominous.

The inside of the Soul Shell was quite damp by the time Miss Planner got home. There were a few spots where water had leaked in and accumulated. She took her helmet off with a sigh and ordered some food.

"Yes, is this Little Man's Pizza? I want to put in an order for delivery... it's 2072, Old Stone Avenue. I'm in apartment 330... yes, that's right. I want a large Meat Lovers and a large pepperoni... a root beer to drink. And can I get some cheesy bread? No, nothing else. Thank you."

5