Chapter 49 – Operational Planning
189 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We're getting reports that a Feeder has been spotted downtown. It looks like this one's stronger than any we've seen for years."
"Hmph. What are you going to do?"

"We can't send a normal security team. They'd just get torn to shreds. Who's available right now? Let's see. Daniel's team is on duty today... the Hounds are an option too. Or we could get the recruitment division involved. Nailer is pretty quick, but if the Feeder knows how to block off its aura..."
"Do you want my advice, or do you know how to handle it?"

"Please, Miss Planner."
"Okay. I think the best choice would be the Hounds with a security team for backup. They have plenty of combat experience with Feeders, even strong ones, and their abilities are a little less conspicuous."

"What's the security team for?"
"It's hard to take Feeders by surprise, and they have a lot more killing power than we do. It's important to keep them surrounded so we can maintain tactical flexibility. Having more people at the scene, even acolytes, will help us create opportunities to attack, keep the option of retreat open, and find ways to push the situation in our favor."

Miss Planner was spending the day with Donovan, the man who Elder Presence selected to become the next head of the security division. Donovan had about six months' worth of leadership training to go, and while he was great at taking command in the field, he was still learning how to best make use of the security division's forces on a larger scale. Miss Planner was pleased to see him growing into his new role and asking for help when he needed it.

"But the acolytes we send... they won't be able to deal with the actual Feeder, right? It'll tear through them like paper. I could see sending a few extra people to help secure the area and set up communications, but no more than that. Otherwise, we'd just be throwing their lives away for nothing."

Donovan looked uneasy, but Miss Planner was as calm as ever. Donovan needed to get comfortable making tough decisions, and this was the perfect opportunity to harden him up a little.

"No, no. Acolytes are perfect for this kind of thing. Don't underestimate them. They're loyal to the very last man, and they won't hesitate to sacrifice themselves if that's what it takes to get the job done. Remember, the Hounds are some of our most valuable combat assets. It's important to give them plenty of backup so they can live to fight another day if things go sour. I'd strongly recommend you send a full security complement along with the Hounds, or maybe even two."

Normally, Donovan would've trusted Miss Planner's judgment without question, but today, something about the way she presented things didn't sit right with him. The idea of using his people like disposable pawns made him sick.

"Can we really just send them in to die?"
"That's not what I'm suggesting. Of course, that's a possibility. But there's always that risk, no matter who you decide to send in. The important thing is to figure out the risks, weigh the options, and choose the best way forward. Our acolytes might not be the most powerful fighters, but they're more than willing to put their lives on the line for the greater good. We have to trust them."

"I don't like it."
"If you want to minimize casualties... there's an alternative strategy where we let the Feeder come to us and kill it with explosives. It would be safer, obviously. All we'd have to do is ignore it until we can get a good trap in place and lure it inside. But it would be out there killing people until we were ready. And it might just hide somewhere and wait until it's hungry again. I favor the more direct approach myself, but it's your call. Either way, we need to do something."

Donovan was looking troubled again. The middle-aged man closed his eyes and rested his head in his hands for a moment, trying to think. He rubbed at his temples a few times, then stood up.

"Alright... we'll use the Hounds and two security teams like you suggested. I'm only sending volunteers. I'm sure everyone's heard of Feeders before. I don't want any of our men going into this thinking it'll be easy."

Miss Planner nodded in approval. Donovan might not be a perfect leader, but he was doing better than she'd expected. The fact that he was willing to risk the lives of his men to protect innocent people was very telling of his character. He was the right man for the job.

"Thank you for trusting my judgment. I believe you won't regret putting your faith in me."
"You wouldn't lead me wrong, Miss Planner. We'll try to capture it alive, or at least bring some body parts back for study. I'm going to go round up some volunteers. Can you get the Hounds together?"
"The team's already assembled. I'll tell them they can head to the staging area."

Donovan headed off, leaving Miss Planner alone. She sent the Hounds a quick message and stretched her tiny arms over her head. She was in one of her more cheerful moods today, smiling and humming to herself as soon as Donovan left the room. She pulled up a representative picture of a Feeder on her computer screen. She couldn't wait to get her hands on some fresh Feeder parts. Maybe she'd even get an intact head. The thought made her chuckle. Feeders were such interesting creatures!

5