Chapter 68 – The Razors’ Edge
174 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, the Razors’ Edge docked at Orca Island and the staff began hauling out cages filled with bloodthirsty psychic assassins eager to compete in the Pit Razors’ deadly game. A sea of steel cages seemed to fill the entire port of entry, spilling over onto the pier and down toward the sands of Orca Island. Miss Planner watched the proceedings from a widescreen television in a V.I.P. room below deck alongside the Pit Razors’ Head and a number of other highly valued guests. Representatives from the Cut Throats, Knife Slaves, and the Pit's most prominent crime families were happily discussing which contestants they were most excited to see in action.

"This year will definitely be something special," said the Head, a tall man with graying hair, stern features, and an intimidating scar running along the right side of his face. He was dressed immaculately in a dark suit and tie. "Even I don't know everything these fine specimens are capable of. Back in my day, I kept most of my techniques hidden until the time was right..."

"Head, you participated in an event like this?" asked Miss Planner, her icy blue eyes glued to the screen.

"Heheh. Is it that much of a surprise, Miss Planner? My graduation ceremony was held in the Sage Desert. Over a hundred people died on the first night. It was a complete bloodbath. Our games were a little more primitive back then... the rest of the event wasn't nearly as exciting. It's pretty hard to fill an entire desert with traps, after all... Orca Island is a much better fit for our needs."

"Who would be so bold to try and challenge you, Head?" asked an elegant woman with silver hair and striking red eyes. She was the Knife Slaves’ representative, a dangerous woman known as the Knife Maniac.
"I had quite the prize on my neck. Greed is the deadliest force known to man. Even now, there's plenty of people itching to take me down. Same as you, my dear Knife Maniac."

The silver-haired woman chuckled. She was scrolling through her P.D.A., looking for contestants with strong personalities and stronger knife skills. The young Knife Slave was looking for a disciple worthy of learning her secret killing arts.

"This one looks interesting. The Snow of Nothingness. What a grand title. I can't wait to see her in action."

The Head stroked his chin thoughtfully.
"Indeed. Heheh. I have no doubt she'll put on quite the show for us today. But I recommend you don't get too attached to any one contestant before the end of the week. We never know what might happen, even to one as powerful as her. If only the world could be a bit kinder and gentler, hehehe."

"That's the path all killers walk, I suppose. No worries. Should she leave us before her time, the lovely Miss Planner will be here to comfort me."
Miss Planner gave the Knife Maniac a friendly pat on the back, a sweet smile gracing her lips. She had her eye on another contestant, a vicious young man titled the Darkness of Extinction. It seemed like he was the perfect candidate to lead a team of bodyguards for the new batch of executives she planned to hire in the near future.

"We're about to begin," said the Head, checking his P.D.A. with a cruel grin. "Hold onto your seats. We'll be departing shortly."

Miss Planner watched the screen, captivated. A large cage was being lowered into the sands of Orca Island, the final one for this year's event. A group of two men and one woman were loaded inside, strapped to their seats and ready to go. They wore sleek black jumpsuits and thick metal collars filled with tracking devices and explosives. They seemed to be arguing with one another. The Head pressed a button on the television, and their conversation became audible.

"-which is why I didn't ask you!" shouted one of the two men, the shorter of the two with brown hair.
"You want me to be bait?" replied the woman coldly. She had sharp features and long black hair that flowed down to her waist.

"You're worth more points. You're the mighty Rain of Blood, right?"
"You'll be safer as bait," replied the other man with a shrug. He was tall and thin, with shaggy dark hair that covered his eyes. "If you don't want to do it, I'd be happy to run away while you two fight our fellow students."

The woman rolled her neck.
"I'm not afraid of anything. I don't want to run. Let's face them together."

The Rain of Blood was clearly irritated that his teammate didn't want to follow his strategy, but he didn't force the issue. The three Pit Razors in training sat quietly, steeling their hearts for the carnage to come.

"Let's take a look at another contestant. This one is fighting alone. He's my personal favorite from this year's graduating class," said the Head with pride. "His title is the Vastness of Creation."

The room fell into silence as the V.I.P.s gathered around the screen to see the Head's newest star. The Vastness of Creation was sitting perfectly still in a heavily reinforced cage lying at the bottom of a dimly lit subterranean chasm. He looked horribly strange. His body was bloated, almost puffy, and his skin was discolored with shades of pale blues, harsh reds, and dull grays. He somewhat resembled the corpse of a drowned sailor. The young man's deep green eyes were blank and lifeless.

"What a frightful sight," said one of the Cut Throats in a neat blue suit, cringing slightly. "He's capable of altering entire landscapes? I shudder to imagine what his foes are going to look like when he's done with them."

The Head chuckled.
"He's stronger than most, but he has his weaknesses too... weaknesses the other contestants are well aware of. Each and every person on the island has a chance to win. It all depends on their smarts and their will to survive. These young people have spent countless hours honing their skills and crafting their strategies. There will be no easy victory... the battle royale is the ultimate test of a Pit Razor’s talent."

"Hehe. Only the sharpest Razors are fit for sale. Isn't that right, Head?" exclaimed Miss Planner, grinning like a devious little girl. "I wonder who'll get their hands on the lucky winner. For my part, I've already spotted several talented people who could make a fine impact on our organization. I hope they make it off the island alive! Hehehehe!"

3