Chapter 116 – Possession
166 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I was worried you'd get rid of me without giving me a chance to explain myself first."

With Flawed Copy in control, Erica's body language became confident and poised. Her shoulders relaxed. A small smile crept across her lips as her trembling stopped. She spoke in a higher-pitched inflection that was obviously meant to mimic Miss Planner's own tone of voice. Miss Planner was completely captivated by the new persona Erica had taken on. The impersonation was so convincing that it almost felt like she was looking in a mirror. Every word was oozing with arrogance. Every gesture was elegant and gracious. Flawed Copy's entire presence was a studied, yet subtle, insult to everything around it.

The corners of Miss Planner's mouth twitched into the faintest hint of a smile. It was hard not to feel flattered by such a convincing imitation.

"I'm sorry. I don't think we've been properly introduced."
"Hehe! No, I don't believe we have! I'm Erica's other half. You can call me Flawed Copy if you'd like."
"Miss Planner's fine. Or Jessica. Whatever you want. I bet it feels good to be out in the open, doesn't it?"

Erica stretched her body and raised her arms above her head, twisting her back and neck, pressing her chest out seductively. She gave Miss Planner a coy smile.

"You have no idea. I've been bored out of my mind ever since you gave her these ridiculous metal hoops. She didn't even want to come to work today. I had to beg her to get out of bed and get dressed. And just look at the outfit she picked out! I mean, I like the color brown, sometimes, but really? Brown jacket, pink shirt, and black bandages? She's just so clueless without me around."

Erica pouted with a bit too much enthusiasm, and tossed her hair in a manner that was a bit too playful. Miss Planner just smiled warmly and cocked her head to the side, as if nothing about what she'd just heard bothered her at all.

"She didn't want to come to work today?"

Erica sighed dramatically, pretending to be disappointed.

"She's been like that all week. Maybe it would've been better if she'd just stayed in bed. I asked her what her plan was for the day, and you know what she said?"

Miss Planner shook her head. Erica snickered mockingly.

"She said she wanted to work late reading surveys. Her whole life is so boring. Boring and sad. I have no idea why she hates me so much. It's not like I want to replace her or anything. I mean, I could have if I wanted to. But I'm happy being a small part of her, you know? I just want to change a few things here and there, make her life a little easier... hehehe..."

"I'm sure you do. But Erica's not big on change, is she?"

Miss Planner's tone was friendly, conversational, as if she and Flawed Copy were old friends catching up after a long time apart. Erica sat down across from her and crossed her legs, rubbing one foot against the other. She looked very pleased with herself.

"She's very set in her ways. Very stubborn. And she's so sensitive. If someone says something she doesn't like, she'll run away and cry for hours on end. She's like a big baby. That's why she needs me. To help her grow. To teach her how to be more assertive. How to stand up for herself."

Miss Planner slowly leaned forward and placed her hands on the table, palms down. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"You know, I don't like the way you're talking about her. Erica's not some helpless little girl. She's a grown woman who doesn't want you controlling her life anymore. You've caused her enough pain already. You've been putting her through hell for weeks. Did you think she wouldn't get hurt by your little body enhancement stunt? Did you think I wouldn't find out?"

"No, I guess I thought I had the situation under control. I also thought you'd approve. The procedure was completely safe. I made sure to give her plenty of time between operations. And she didn't feel a thing."

"That's not the point. The point is, you completely disregarded her feelings and put her through something traumatic that she never even wanted in the first place. Where was your consideration for her as a human being? You saw that she was upset about her body, so instead of comforting her or supporting her, you decided to completely change her into someone she isn't!"

Erica's hips moved from side to side as if she was searching for a more comfortable sitting position. The movement was followed by the subtlest of smirks.

"I didn't change her into someone she isn't. I helped her become the woman she was meant to be all along. Now that the hard part's over and done with, we can finally move on to the fun stuff. I just wish you'd let me finish what I started."

Miss Planner's patience was wearing thin. She leaned back in her chair and folded her arms across her chest with an icy glare.

"You don't get to decide what's best for Erica. She's her own person, and she has every right to live her life the way she wants. You think you know what she needs, but you have no idea. You're so far removed from being a human being yourself that you don't know the first thing about empathy or compassion or any other human emotion!"

Miss Planner's voice cracked with rage. She slammed her fist down on the table and stood up, leaning over the table to stare Erica directly in the eyes.

"You're just a parasite. A parasite that's sucking the life out of someone who has more love and kindness inside her than anyone I've ever met in my entire life. I'm not going to let you hurt her anymore."

Erica didn't seem bothered by the outburst. She smiled gently and leaned forward, resting her elbows on the table and cupping her chin in her knuckles.

"Well, Jessica, I'm sorry you're upset. I really am. I thought I'd be able to convince you I was doing Erica a favor, but I guess you're just too close to the situation. I completely understand. And you probably want me out of the picture now. That's fine, I can deal with that. I won't stop you."

Miss Planner sighed. She leaned back in her chair and ran her fingers through her hair.

"I want you to give control back to Erica now, please."

Erica's confident persona vanished without a trace. The Erica that remained looked like she was about to cry. Her shoulders slumped. Her head hung low. Her eyes darted from side to side.

"Nikki, keep watching her. If it's going to try something, I want to be ready. Erica, get up and put the rings on. I'm going to help you with the bandages."
"Th-thank you..."

Hesitantly, as if moving would cause great pain, Erica stood from her chair and kneeled to the floor. Her face fluttered as she slid the big metal rings on her arms and legs.

"I'm sorry, Erica. I know that was scary, and I know how difficult this must be for you. It's difficult for me too. But I wanted to hear Flawed Copy's perspective before we do anything permanent."
"I'm not scared... I'm... just sad. I'm sorry, too... I never meant..."

"I know you didn't. It's not your fault. It's nobody's fault. We just need to figure out a solution together. Okay?"
"I... I trust your judgment. Whatever you think is best..."

"No, you need to decide. You're the one who's going to have to live with this for the rest of your life. I have three choices for you... well, four. The first option is to do nothing and leave things as they are. You can keep taking the medication and wearing the rings and bandages to suppress it. I know it sounds bad, but you wouldn't be the only one here in the Tower doing something like that."
"I think I could live with that..."

"The second choice is a little more extreme. We can have my assistant Black Smoke permanently cripple your powers with his ability 'Filth Spray.' You'd basically be a normal person again. I mean, what's done is done as far as your bodily enhancements go. But you'd be free of Flawed Copy forever. You wouldn't have to deal with any of this ever again."
"That sounds good... but if I'm being honest, it scares me too... is it... is it safe?"

"There's a risk of lasting damage to your skin. The stuff probably causes cancer, too. It's pretty nasty, to tell you the truth. But it's the best choice we have available if you're afraid of Flawed Copy taking over your body again. At least, that's what I think."
"Oh... my third option?"

"The third option is the most dangerous. We set it free. We hope you eventually learn how to control Flawed Copy and the other abilities it brought out inside you. Or at least coexist with it. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really have any intention of hurting you or anyone else. But that doesn't mean what it did to you is okay. It's not. So if you're serious about taking control of it, I'll monitor you very closely and help you out as much as I can. For safety's sake, you'd have to check in with me or one of the Sages every single day to make sure everything's alright."
"You really think it's possible for me to...?"

"Yeah. I do. It wouldn't be easy. But anything's possible. And I think if you tried hard enough, you could get rid of it for good on your own."
"So that's three..."

"And there's a fourth option. A special option just for you. Just for my best friend in the entire world. Your fourth option is me."

2