Chapter 141 – Gabby
101 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The former Sage of Death wasn't a very good adoptive father to Gabby. He did care about her, and he was trying his hardest, but truthfully he just wasn't very good with kids. He always talked to Gabby in a stern, commanding voice that frightened her. He was always giving her chores to do, or tasks to perform, or lecturing her on all kinds of pointless stuff. He was a firm believer in the value of negative reinforcement, and his punishments were harsh, never abusive, never violent, just unpleasant enough to make her miserable.

"Young lady, you disobeyed me. I told you that you weren't to leave this room until you finished reading the 'Code of the Ancient Sages' from front to back, and you didn't do it. Do you have anything to say for yourself?"
"I'm sorry."

"You will be confined to your room until you have read it, as well as this essay, 'Meditations on Humility.' Let that be a lesson to you. I will return in four hours time. You will have finished your reading by then, or else I shall be forced to think of another way to get you to study."
"Yes, sir."
"Do as you are told. Next time I won't be so merciful. Is that understood?"

The Teacher of Death was a man from a different world, a deeply pious man who had been granted the title of Sage by the great Elder Witness himself. The teachings of the Divine were absolute and he believed in following them absolutely. His life was an endless series of battles fought against spiritual evil in all its forms, and his faith never faltered, even after the title of Sage was stripped from him. He never let his emotions cloud his judgment in any matter of importance, and the battle for Gabby's soul was of far greater importance than any earthly matter he knew of.

"Hmph. These toys are distracting you from your studies. I shall take them until you have finished your weekly assignment. You will leave me no choice but to take them away permanently if you continue to disobey me."
"Wait!"
"I'm afraid that there isn't a thing that you can say that will stop me. This is my duty as your tutor and guide, my child."

He was strict, often unreasonably so, and he did little to conceal it. But Gabby didn't hate him. Even though they didn't get along very well, even though he forced her to read long, difficult books when all she wanted to do was play and have fun, even though his lectures bored her to tears... he never hit her. He never yelled at her or called her names. There were even times when he was kind of nice.

The Teacher of Death let Gabby know that he cared about her in subtle ways, like letting her sit in the chair next to his while she read. Or giving her sweets when she worked extra hard. Or holding her hand when they walked to the cafeteria together and letting her pick whatever food she wanted. And every once in a while, when they were alone together, he'd hug her and kiss her on her forehead like a doting grandfather. He never said "I love you," but Gabby knew that he did, secretly. She loved him a little bit too, even if just a little bit.

When the old man found a new student, a grown man named Replica, Gabby felt like she'd been robbed. The Teacher of Death didn't pay very much attention to her anymore because he always seemed to be talking to Replica instead. Replica was smarter than her, and he always did all of the studying he was supposed to do really fast. When the Teacher lectured them, Replica listened carefully and took notes even while Gabby was falling asleep. He was good at everything, and Gabby hated him. She hated his smug smile, his easy-going attitude, his confidence, and his group of friends... the mean, nasty group of men that hung around him and teased her. She hated the fact that the Teacher of Death spent so much time with them, even though he used to spend all of his free time teaching her things.

"Gabby, I shall return late tonight. Michael will be by later to take you to dinner. Do not fall behind in your reading."
"Yes, sir."

She couldn't help but feel jealous of Replica. He had a real family, and a real home. He had a father and a mom and a brother and a sister... and a whole bunch of friends who liked him. The Animal Brotherhood, they were called. Gabby had only had a few friends, and she wasn't allowed out of her room to go see them very often. And none of them ever came to visit her.

"Hello, Teacher!"
"Replica, Black Smoke, Cursed Needle, my dear fellows! Please, come in and make yourself at home!"
"Heh heh... cough... thanks. We brought you... a gift."
"Ah! What's this?"

"A fine... set of cigars, for a very... fine man. Cough."
"I hope you like them, Teacher."
"Your kindness touches me deeply. You are such thoughtful, generous souls. Please, come inside, my children. I'll pour you a drink. We have much to discuss, don't we? My, but it's been ages since we've had a chance to talk."
"Cough..."

"Gabby, my dear, I must attend to some business with Replica. I am sorry to cut your lesson short, but we will continue from where we left off tomorrow. You are free to play as you please for the rest of the day, but do not leave the Tower without permission. Is that understood?"
"Yes, sir."

He was a little more hands-off these days. But it wasn't because she was being good. He just didn't seem to care about her as much as he used to. He was always busy with Replica, and he barely talked to her except when he was giving her work to do.

When Gabby was all by herself, she would lie on her bed and stare at the ceiling. She tried to remember her parents, but she couldn't picture their faces anymore. All she remembered was the sound of the explosions, and the smell of blood and death.

She hated herself for what she did. She killed her entire family. Her dad, her mom, her uncle, her grandma... everyone. She was trapped inside the Tower as punishment, and she would never be allowed to leave. Her life was horrible now, and it was all her fault.

She was a freak, a monster, disgusting, pathetic, and stupid, and ugly, and she smelled bad. She cried herself to sleep every night. Her stomach always hurt, and her head always ached. Sometimes she got headaches so bad that she couldn't stand up straight.

The only thing that helped was being around the Ancient Ones. They were really nice, even if they weren't that smart... and talking to someone about her problems made her feel better. So she snuck out to see them whenever she could get away with it. She didn't tell the Teacher and he never found out. Until Erica told him.

And then he came to the Ancient Ones' meditation room to get her. He had his purple robe on and he was all serious and stuff.

"Gabby, why is it that you are wandering about like this?"
"I'm..."

Her voice cracked and her throat closed over. She wanted to scream. It felt like there was an enormous, empty space in the middle of her chest and all of the air had rushed out. She started to choke and tears welled in her eyes. He was furious. He was going to tell her she was never allowed to see the Ancient Ones ever again and lock her up in her room for good. That was what she thought. The Teacher of Death knelt before Gabby, taking her hand. She didn't want him to touch her. It felt wrong, somehow. She pulled her tiny arm out of his grasp.

"My child, why are you crying?"

His voice was as stern as always, without an ounce of concern.

"Don't call me that!" Gabby shouted at him, the tears spilling onto her cheeks and her chin. "You're not... you're not my... father. You can't call me that!"

"Hmph. You are my child, whether you like it or not. Perhaps you are not mine by blood, but I am your father by another, more noble standard, and I will not have you say otherwise."

"I..." Gabby started to say, before turning away from him and wiping her eyes. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

She was a mean, nasty girl and she knew how awful and bad she was for making such a fuss and getting herself all upset and everything. But the Teacher just sat down beside her and rubbed her shoulders until she stopped crying. He was being very gentle, which made Gabby feel much worse about what she'd just said.

"You are forgiven, of course. Come, Gabby. Let us leave the Ancient Ones in peace. This is their sanctuary."

Gabby sniffled again, wiping her nose on her sleeve. She didn't really want to leave.

"Can I come see them again?"
"If you behave yourself, then I suppose you may visit them every once in awhile. Do bear in mind that they are sensitive creatures and their moods are easily affected. We mustn't trouble them too often. Now, enough crying."
"Yes... I'll be good."

The Teacher of Death held out his hand, which Gabby grasped with little enthusiasm. He helped her to her feet and started to lead her away from the Ancient Ones. Looking back one last time Gabby saw them waving goodbye. They were smiling, but she thought their smiles were a bit sad.

2