Chapter 149 – Soft Sell
119 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Out of all the tours going on inside the Tower of the Chosen, Miss Planner's was by far the most interesting. Ace and Mona were bouncing around and smiling while the tiny blonde manager guided them and their friends through the Tower. Little Casey was very nervous, but that didn't mean she wasn't having just as much fun as her friends. Leon didn't say a word. He, too, was completely absorbed in the adventure.

"The security division is in charge of protecting everyone in the city, and they do that by tracking down psychic criminals and monsters. Most of our personnel here in the control center are analysts! They're the ones in charge of prioritizing alerts and organizing patrols! It's a little too complicated to explain, so I'll just let Leland show you."

She showed the four teenagers how everything operated inside the tower in such a clear, understandable fashion that no questions remained.

"The staff here monitors the cameras and alert all divisions when something important happens. There are two people assigned to evaluating threats and issuing commands accordingly! They're like generals!"

She seemed to know someone on every floor of the Tower. Executives, salespeople, engineers, scientists, security officers, and cafeteria staff... Miss Planner had connections everywhere, it seemed, and everyone she knew was happy to take a minute to explain how their work fit into the grand scheme of things and how grateful they were to have a general manager like Miss Planner running the business.

Casey's head was spinning after the long day's walk, and Ace looked completely spent as well after what must have been twenty little visits over the last three hours. Leon barely said two words the whole time, but Miss Planner didn't seem to notice.

"Oh, and of course I should also introduce the recruitment division! They're in charge of human resources, public relations, web design, legal needs, and accounting. All of the good stuff that helps us get ahead and stay ahead!"

Ace yawned. He was about ready for the tour to be over. He didn't really care where they ended up working, as long as they were all in it together. Miss Planner turned around and looked him straight in the eyes. Even after talking for three hours straight, she was none worse for the wear. Where did she get all of that energy from?

"Hmm. Maybe we should end the tour here. Everyone's tired, right? I did have one more surprise waiting, but..."

Tired as he was, Ace was intrigued. Mona and Casey seemed to be thinking along the same lines. They started whispering to each other with mischievous little smiles on their faces. Leon just stared at the carpet on the lobby floor, seemingly oblivious to the excitement building inside his friends. He had a distant look on his face that suggested he wasn't fully present. But even he didn't seem entirely opposed to the idea of one last stop before heading home.

"Yeah, we're tired... but well, why not?" said Ace, grinning. "You've got a surprise? I want to see it!"

Leon shrugged. The girls nodded excitedly. Miss Planner smiled warmly at them. She was so cute when she did that, they all thought.

"I'm going to introduce you to someone very, very special who's been helping us out in the recruitment division. I know he's really going to enjoy talking with you. But you have to be respectful. He's very old and he has trouble communicating sometimes. Be kind to him."

Miss Planner led them down the hall, stopping in front of a door marked 'Administrator.' She knocked three times and the voice of an old man came through the door.

"You may enter."

On the other side of the heavy wooden door was a wide room filled with dozens of bookshelves. Inside, there was a strange man sitting at a desk, a man wearing black robes and a white mask that looked like a melting human face. He was reading a book wrapped in ominous black leather and writing notes down on pieces of yellowing parchment with a fountain pen.

"This is my good friend, the holy Sage of Torment. He's a truly amazing person who has spent his entire life pursuing enlightenment through meditation. And he's been lending us his services as a spiritual guide and advisor. He's helped hundreds of Chosen Ones find meaning and happiness in their lives. Including me."
"You flatter me, Miss Planner."

The tiny manager motioned for the kids to step closer. His mask made them feel small and insignificant, like a mouse creeping towards some kind of fearsome beast. The old, pale man slowly stood up. Ace felt goosebumps crawling up and down his spine.

"It's nice to meet you. My name is Mona. This is Ace, this is Leon, and this is Casey. They're my best friends."
"Ahh. Friends are like sunlight. They make our world warm and bright."

"Y-yeah..."
"Mona, you are the rising sun. You give your friends hope for tomorrow. Ace, you are a blazing sun. You bring warmth to all those around you. Leon is the setting sun. His subtlety has many brilliant shades. And Casey is a pale sun hidden by clouds. She is a powerful star, yet few see her radiance."

The teenagers were entranced by the masked man's words. They felt like they were in the presence of something beyond human understanding. The Sage continued to speak, his voice deep and mournful.

"I am the Sage who endures all pain and suffers every wound. I have spent a long time in darkness. Many days without sunshine or warmth. But I have never known despair, for I am one with my brothers and sisters in the faith."

The Sage stared at Ace, Mona, Leon, and Casey through his mask with empty, broken eyes.

"What is it that brings you to this place? Is there something you wish for? Something you desire?"

A smile crept across Mona's face, but her lips remained shut tight, hiding the real feelings within her heart. Her friends' responses came in a wave of confusion and uncertainty.

"We want to be Chosen Ones..."
"I want to help people in trouble."
"And get stronger..."

They spoke over each other in a nervous rush, vaguely afraid of the response that was sure to follow. The man in the mask settled them down with a slow raise of his bony arm.

"Be at peace. All that which you desire lies close at hand, for this Tower of the Chosen was built to guide the soul of man and lift it towards the light. It is the greatest expression of love and wisdom that has ever existed in this meager world, and you four are a blessed part of its design. This humble, crippled Sage with all his terrible memories and painful wounds can offer little to you, except this knowledge."

The four listened, captivated by the strange and haunting voice that had the weight of a heavy bell. When he finished, he laughed noiselessly. Then, his skeletal hands moved slowly and ponderously, returning to his notes, scribbling with a pen a strange language of mystic runes and symbols.

"Leave me to my work, now. The answers you seek will find their way to you. I will not interfere any further."

The four teenagers looked to Miss Planner for reassurance. She smiled and gently ushered them back into the hall, whispering sweet words of encouragement as she did so. They nodded politely, unsure how to express themselves in return.

"...you did great. You were all very polite and respectful..."
"...and I think he really liked you, Mona!"
"...very wise, isn't he? He knew everything about you before you even said a word!"
"...time to go home and get some sleep. We can talk about what division you want to join tomorrow..."

She was so nice! She took such good care of them all day, she really was an angel, wasn't she?! And that last little visit with the Sage of Torment was absolutely fantastic, wasn't it?

It would feel kind of mean leaving her behind and joining a different division after everything she'd done for them, right? Maybe working with her in the research division wouldn't be so bad...

Yeah. Research was definitely better than human resources, factory work, or sales.
The security division looked kind of boring, too... just a bunch of fat people sitting around in a room looking at cameras. No thanks.

And the research division had all the cute girls... Kate, Hanna, Tori, Nikki... and of course, the amazing Miss Planner herself.

Ace wants us to work in the cafeteria? He's such an idiot. I say we should go with research instead, thank you very much!

2