19. Lost Souls
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Should he have thrown away his pride and begged her to stay with him? Instead of throwing his pride aside, he let something else escape him, a necessary part of him, without realizing that he had lost what he needed to be complete. His feeling of emptiness was more significant than ever before.

Drake entered the great hall of Springwood Castle, watching down as his feet moved one step after another and he felt utterly lost. No one dared to address him when they saw him in a bad state because they knew very well that they could end up dead. And yet, he heard a faint voice behind him. "Where is Lady Hope?"

That question put salt on his wound, and when he turned, his eyes gleamed red, with a crazy urge to kill someone. But the innocent face of the maid who had tears of sadness in her eyes blocked his rage entirely. "Your name is Ayala, isn't it?"

"Yes, Lord Springwood!" the girl replied in a barely audible voice, already terribly frightened by his gaze.

Drake turned and walked to his chair. "Hope is not coming back. Send the chief of guards to me. "

Ayala hesitated for a moment but eventually managed to speak before Drake could reach his place. "My Lord, you have not yet chosen a new captain of the guards after cutting off the right hand of the previous one. So who exactly should I send to you? "

Drake sighed and sat down in his comfortable chair. "Did the one without a hand left the castle?"

"No, Lord Springwood! He is still here."

"Then send him to me now. He doesn't need hands to listen to my commands and give them further to the guards and peasants."

Ayala made a deep bow and left the room. It wasn't long before the door opened again and came in the man who wanted to drag Hope out of this very room by pulling her hair. Now he was missing his right arm and had a bandage on his shoulder and the remaining stump. His figure was much less flashy; he seemed even submissive and docile. It was perfectly appropriate behavior for a captain of the guard to display in front of his master. The officer bowed to the ground immediately upon entering in respect and obedience.

"Do you remember the village where you got that girl from her mother?" Drake started directly.

The captain replied without hesitation. "Of course, master!"

Drake seemed calm, but his voice was so sharp that it could cut off any head that did not bow to his will. "That village burned to the ground two nights ago. I want you to find the perpetrators and bring them directly to the dungeon under the castle. Do you feel able to fulfill this mission? "

"Yes, Lord Springwood. In ten days, you will have all the perpetrators in prison."

Drake smiled, but the captain couldn't see it because he hadn't looked up from the ground all this time. "You have five days to bring them. On the sixth day in the morning, I will go down to visit the dungeons. If the culprits are not there, I will personally come after you and throw you in chains in their place and do to you what I would have done to them."

The captain just tilted his head down even more, as if strengthening the promise made to fulfill the mission and that he was aware of the repercussions if he failed. Drake's smile widened because he liked what he saw. It was becoming increasingly clear to him that people became more loyal when they were afraid. "What's your name, Captain?"

"Casey, master," the captain replied promptly again.

Drake pursed his lips in displeasure and then slapped his tongue on the roof of his mouth. "I can't pronounce that name easily, and I don't think I would remember it. From now on, your name is Armless. Understand?"

The man shook his head vigorously as a sign that he agreed and also confirmed verbally. "Yes, Lord Springwood. My name is Armless. "

"Perfect! Now get out of my sight. I want you to come back with good news. Don't forget for a moment that this name fits you perfectly even if you miss both hands."

The captain greeted again and left the room. Drake couldn't help but wonder why he had been so threatening to the poor captain, who already seemed scared and lost in the darkness of fear. But that's how he had to treat everyone so he wouldn't get attached to anyone. That's how he should have treated Hope. Damn it! He had previously treated her in the same way, but it had not worked. Why was she immune to him? Was she just brave, or was she something more unique?

Drake rested his head on his fists. He felt that he had lost the little spark that was beginning to give meaning to his life. It seemed that in the end, Drake was capable of feelings and had a soul meant to be lost for eternity and forever accompanied only by his loneliness. He liked it more when he considered himself soulless.

-----

Meanwhile, another lost soul felt just as lonely, even though many beings surrounded her. There was a cave near a waterfall in the forest where Hope made her nest, and most of the animals came to check it out.

She hadn't felt so good in a long time. All these forest dwellers understood her much better than humans, and she, in turn, understood their behavior and social hierarchy. Hope was at ease and did not have to wear a mask and had nothing to hide. The animals did not judge her and instead offered unconditional love.

And yet, something was missing. For a short time, Hope had felt a sun burning in her soul that cast sparks and gave more color to her life. Now she felt lost and alone, despite the love and understanding that surrounded her.

But she decided to stay there in the forest and live in peace because she did not want to risk even more bloodshed, she did not want to lose control, she never wanted to kill again. And when Hope made a decision, she never backed down.

2