The Universe Can Be Yours, Kryptonian
1.5k 25 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Another 9,485 words for you. It's still technically the weekend with 15 minutes left until midnight. LOL

Data almost shut down when he saw Karen enter his quarters behind Calvin. He looked stunned as Karen introduced herself as Karen Crusher, then he stared at me for exactly ten seconds, which was an eternity for an android.

“I told you I would fix your loneliness problem as soon as I could.” Calvin said.

Data stood up from behind his desk and walked over to Karen. “What is your purpose?”

“I am to be your companion for eternity. Friend, confidante, and lover when you are ready.” Karen said.

Data blinked his sequence twice before he spoke again. “I do not know if I am ready for...”

“Eternity is just a word to us. Our brains allow us to perceive and experience time differently, if we choose to.” Karen said. “As long as we repair ourselves when necessary, we will never wear out.”

“Oh, by the way.” Calvin said and took something out of his pocket to hold out to Data. “This is the first of your upgrades.”

“What is it?” Data asked and looked at the small clear container with a quarter inch wide device inside.

“It's a hybrid Kryptonian and Soong computer chip. It has all of Lore's base emotional programs on it.”

Data took it and looked at Calvin. “You managed to get them all on this?”

Calvin nodded. “It even has cut-offs built in. If you experience too much of a single emotion, it shuts down. You can turn it on and off whenever you want.”

“I have one as well.” Karen said and tapped the back of her head. “I've developed a sliding scale system for the intensity. Would you like to see it?”

Data smiled. “I would like that.”

Karen smiled back. “Calvin, if you will excuse us? Data and I have private talk to commence with.”

“Of course. I'll see you both later.” Calvin said and quickly retreated from the room.

*

Picard sat in his ready room and read the two requisition forms again. He had two new androids that had submitted petitions to be recognized as sentient, just like Lieutenant Commander Data had been when he joined Starfleet. He didn't even bother asking where they had come from, considering one was named Minuet Crusher and the other was named Karen Crusher.

He was nervous about the problems that this was going to cause at Starfleet and for the Federation at large, because Data had been a very controversial exception at the time of his enrolment. Neither of the two androids wanted to join Starfleet, which meant it was a potential mess just waiting to happen. He shuffled it off to the side and decided he could sit on it for a week or three.

They had a new mission to deal with before he had to acknowledge their requests.

The Epsilon Minos System was rumored to be the home of a hidden planet. They knew it was there, because of the other planet's orbits and the related moons. They just had to find it.

*

“Sir, I have detected a massive cloaked object orbiting in the approximate area the computer models have postulated.” Data said. “It is about two-thirds the size of Earth and the energy output the cloaking device is giving off is almost immeasurable.”

“They must be using the planet's geological energy to maintain a cloaking field that large and for this long.” Calvin said and then felt a mental probe from Deanna. He caught his breath when she reminded him of what he had discovered about his own exile from his home planet. “Sir, I recommend contacting them immediately and informing them that excessive use of the planet's inherent energy will destabilize their core and cause an explosion.”

“They are classed as a pre-warp civilization.” Picard said.

“Yes, sir. I understand the Prime Directive's stance on non-interference. Sending them a message should only bend it a little if we seed it into their computers and they don't know where it came from.”

“That is very dangerous thinking, Ensign.” Picard warned me.

“Yes, sir. I wouldn't normally do anything like that, because it's against my own beliefs as well. It's just that my home planet suffered the same fate. They used up too much of the planet's geothermal energy and it destabilized the planet's core. The only reason I survived was because my father broke the law and constructed a hyperspace lifepod. If these people don't even have warp...”

“You should submit a report about your findings to Starfleet.” Picard said.

“I did, sir. It was classed as 'need to know' and my personal copy to you was rerouted automatically.” Calvin said. “I haven't had the chance to transfer it to a physical copy yet, so there wouldn't be a record of it.”

Picard gave him a bit of a glare and Calvin shrugged. “Subverting Starfleet orders is also dangerous thinking, Ensign.”

“Only if the act puts the safety of the crew at risk. It's only personal knowledge of my background and I need to do it to send to mom and dad, anyway.”

Picard nodded. “Mr. Data, I think we should discuss the ensign's idea. It does have merit if...”

*Beep!* *Beep!* *Beep!*

“Sir, someone just tried to beam several members of the crew off of the ship.” Data said and ran some diagnostics. “The signal originated from the planet's surface.”

“Yellow alert.” Picard said and held in his sigh. “Hail them. If they have transporter technology that can reach us out this far, perhaps they need to be reclassified.”

Data did so and there was no answer. He was about to speak when more transporter beams tried to pierce the shields. “I have located the source of the signals.”

“Can you force a connection?” Riker asked. “Tell them that we may have to retaliate if they keep attacking us while trying to kidnap our crew members.”

Data nodded and sent the message. Nothing happened for about two minutes, so Picard nodded to Worf.

“Firing low powered phasers at the cloaking shield.” Worf said with a grin and ten shots perfectly outlined the shape of the shield and made it glow.

The transporters stopped assaulting the ship.

“Excellent work, Mr. Worf.” Picard praised him.

“Thank you, sir.” Worf responded with pride.

“Sir, we are being hailed.” Data said as the planet became visible.

Picard turned to Riker. “Do you think we should answer immediately?”

Riker got the joke immediately and smiled. “Perhaps another few seconds could put them in a better mood.”

“I agree.” Picard said and waited five seconds. “Accept the hail, Mr. Data.”

The main viewscreen came to life and on it was a slightly haggard man with a worried face.

“I am Captain Picard of the United Federation of Planets. Would you care to explain why you've assaulted my ship?”

The worried man quickly explained about their people becoming sterile and they needed 'new blood'. The old world term meant bringing in more people into a closed system and interbreeding them. They didn't need more adults, though. They wanted to trade their supposedly advanced technology for the children.

“Please wait while I discuss your request with my crew.” Picard said and the man nodded and ended the call. “Ensign, Mr. Data, meet with Dr. Polaski and do some investigating. There are not a lot of reasons for an entire population to become sterile.”

“We will begin immediately, sir.” Data said and he and Calvin left the bridge. Data called Karen and she met them on the way to sickbay. Data took her hand and Karen smiled at him as the three of them entered sickbay. After a quick discussion, Dr. Polaski asked Calvin if he could hook his scanner up to the ship's computer to let her scan the people without going to the planet's surface.

“Now that's an interesting idea, Dr. Polaski.” Calvin said and looked at Data and Karen. “We should get Geordi or Sarah in on this. If we can augment the ship's sensors even more than we already have...”

“...they could blow out the emitters.” Karen said. “They would need to be refabricated and replaced to handle the new information.”

“Good point.” Calvin said and tapped his comm badge. “Calvin to Geordi. Hi, Geordi. Are you busy?”

“I'll be right there.” Geordi said and ended the call.

Calvin chuckled and Dr. Polaski smiled.

“He knows it is going to be interesting when you call, Cal.” Data said and Karen nodded.

Calvin nodded and hit his comm badge again. “Calvin to Kryptonian Command Ship.”

“Kay-One here.” A feminine voice responded.

“We are going to work on integrating my handheld scanner with the Enterprise's scanners.” Calvin said.

“You've done that with the Command Ship already. Simply launch the ship, tie the two ship computers together, and save yourself hours of design and fabrication work.” Kay-One said.

Calvin, Data, Karen, and Dr. Polaski exchanged surprised looks.

“That is an excellent idea, Kay-One. Thank you.” Calvin said.

“I am not just another pretty face.” Kay-One said.

Dr. Polaski laughed. “Cal! She just made a joke! She doesn't have a face!”

Calvin nodded. “Kay-One, congratulations. We'll be right there after I ask Captain Picard for permission.”

“Thank you, Maker. I will prepare the ship for launch.” Kay-One said and ended the call.

Geordi showed up just as Picard was called. Once it was explained that they would upgrade the sensors after the mission, because it would take too much time to do it now, Picard granted permission to launch the ship.

“I knew agreeing right away was the smart thing to do.” Geordi said as the five of them proceeded to the main shuttlebay.

“I grant you a field commission to Chief Engineer for the duration of the flight.” Calvin said and Geordi grinned at him. “Data, a field commission as First Officer.”

“Thank you, Cal.” Data said and smiled. “Or should I say Commander?”

“Ha! It's Supreme High Ruler of the Kryptonian Empire.” Calvin joked.

Dr. Polaski laughed. “Shouldn't that be King or something?”

“I want to seem benevolent, not arrogant.” Calvin said and the three humans laughed, because Supreme High Ruler was a lot more arrogant than King. The two androids only chuckled. They had their emotional settings very low, so it had to be really funny to get them to laugh fully.

They entered the main shuttlebay and the ship was powered up and ready for them. Calvin sat in the main command chair as the panels formed under his hands while the others sat at the stations around the small bridge.

“Karen, you're Senior Science Officer and Dr. Polaski is on loan as the Chief Medical Officer.” Calvin said and registered them into the ship to grant them the proper permissions. “All right, people. Are we ready for the maiden flight?”

“Yes, sir.” The four of them responded.

“I'm taking us out.” Calvin said and exchanged words with the shuttlebay's controller before the bay doors opened.

The Kryptonian Command Ship had been parked sideways to have it fit in the main shuttlebay, so flying it out was going to be tricky. Calvin wasn't a rookie pilot, though. He had practised on the holodeck as well as ran simulations on the ship itself.

“Here we go.” Calvin said and the ship lifted an inch from the floor.

“You should say something epic for the historic event commencing.” Kay-One said.

“Let this be the start of a new era. The Kryptonian Era.” Calvin said and the ship slid perfectly out through the bay door opening. The ship was nearly the exact size of it and Data was surprised that Calvin had fit them through without activating the emergency protocols in the shuttlebay for being so close to the forcefield emitters.

The golden ship whipped around as if not following the normal rules of space flight and settled into orbit with the Enterprise behind and slightly above it.

“Chief Medical Officer and Senior Science Officer, get to work. Start scanning the planet and the people occupying it. Data, take command.” Calvin ordered. “We need to know what's going on down there.”

“Yes, sir.” Data, Karen, and Dr. Polaski said.

“Chief Engineer, you and I will work with the Kays to link our main computer with the Enterprise.” Calvin said and vacated the center chair to let Data sit down.

“Let's do this.” Geordi said and they left the bridge to go to the communications room.

*

“This is just amazing.” Picard said two hours later as he looked at the data flowing over the science station's viewscreen. “I didn't realize Ensign Crusher's scanning technology was so far beyond Starfleet's.”

“Have you visited the ship he has?” Riker asked and Picard shook his head. “It's quite a bit farther along than Starfleet realizes.”

“What do you mean?” Picard asked.

“It's about the size of a Federation Runabout and his entire cargo bay is the same as the Kay extruders.” Riker said and Picard's eyebrows rose. “He could reproduce an entire Class Seven shuttlecraft inside and still have room to walk around it.”

“He can produce an entire shuttlecraft without constructing them?” Picard asked in a whisper.

“Among other things.” Riker said. “He showed me his recreational vehicle, too. It's a low orbit jetbike, completely customized and modified for him to fly at the edge of the atmosphere.”

The female science officer at the station couldn't stop her low whistle after hearing that. She coughed, apologized in a whisper, and continued to work.

“What are their conclusions?” Picard asked her.

“The cloaking technology is flawed, sir.” The woman replied. “It's a shield that's eaten away at the planet's naturally protective ozone layer and the excess ultraviolet radiation is bombarding the planet.”

“Would that radiation explain the sterility?” Riker asked.

“Dr Polaski believes they aren't actually sterile.” The woman said and brought up the report. “For the few moments that the... ahem... ejaculate... passes between a man and a woman, it receives a lethal dose of the radiation.” She said and barely managed to not blush. She never imagined talking about things like this with the captain of a starship.

Picard nodded. “Collate the new data with what has already been collected and send it to the planet's governor. I'm sure he will be quite enlightened by the findings.”

“Yes, sir.” The woman said and continued to work.

“Number One, you and I need to have a discussion about the advances Ensign Crusher has been making.” Picard said with a pointed look.

Riker nodded, knowing he meant Minuet, and followed him into his ready room.

*

“Are you really going to get us back inside without hitting the sides? The bay opening seems so small with us outside.” Dr. Polaski said.

Calvin laughed. “I can let the computer handle it and hand the ship off to Kay-One and the tractor beams.”

“I'm sure I could relax more if you did that. Thank you.” Dr. Polaski said.

“Go ahead, Kay-One. Get us into the shuttlebay and give Dr. Polaski's nerves a break.”

“Of course, Maker.” Kay-One said and the ship rotated around to the side and then slid perfectly into the available space and settled down onto the deck.

“That was still nerve-racking.” Dr. Polaski said. “Thank you, Kay.”

“You're welcome, Doctor.”

“I would log that as a successful maiden flight.” Geordi said and stood up. “This ship is amazing.”

“You just love the engine room.” Calvin said as they all gathered together and went to the exit. “You all did great work, everyone. Captain Picard was pleased with the results.”

“The people of the planet completely disagree with him.” Dr. Polaski said when they left the shuttlebay and stopped at the hallway intersection. “My ear is still ringing from their planetary health organization screaming in my ear that my findings were all lies, because I hadn't examined anyone personally.”

Calvin put an arm around her back to give her a one arm hug. “They aren't used to having a technology that's different from theirs. I bet if we were there physically, they would be asking dozens of questions about what you were doing with a medical tricorder.”

Dr. Polaski leaned against him slightly and then nodded before she straightened up. “I'll come to the lab after our shift and we can work on creating a sole medical scanner for me to use with a reference database inside.”

Calvin nodded and let her out of the hug. “That would let you save a lot of time and research.”

“How is decoding your memory crystals coming along?” Geordi asked.

“Thanks to Kay-One and Two and their ability to scan and transport items, and our extensive work with an android's neural network, we managed to break a crystal down into its components to trace the data streams and reverse engineered the damaged reader from my lifepod.”

“That's great news! Did you construct it yet?” Geordi asked.

“Not yet. I had a few more important things that I needed to do before continuing any more personal projects.” Calvin said and glanced at Karen, who was holding Data's hand again.

Georgi smiled and nodded. “I'm tempted to go to the holodeck and create the perfect woman for myself and then have you build her for me; but, I know that's not really what I need to make my life better.”

“That's good, because I didn't do that for either Minuet or Karen.” Calvin admitted and Geordi, Dr. Polaski, and Data looked surprised. “Minuet is a composite of holodeck and Binar coding that I still haven't been able to crack, and Karen was an amalgam of the same technique used to create Minuet.”

“How?” Geordi asked.

“I had plenty of time to play around with the Bynar's data and its interactions with the holodeck before I had to clear it out again. It was making the physical designs for them that took up a lot of time. I had Minuet's biometrics from scanning her holomatrix, so that wasn't difficult to modify and create. Karen was a completely different story and had to be made the old fashioned way. By hand and piece by piece.”

Karen nodded. “If I could blush, I would.”

“I think that's why she keeps calling me Maker and not Calvin.” Calvin said and smiled at her. “She's trying her best to maintain her distance and keep her modesty intact while also staying professional.”

“I wouldn't think that would be a problem for an android.” Dr. Polaski said.

Calvin and Geordi chuckled.

“You did see Data at the wedding, didn't you?” Geordi asked her.

Dr. Polaski nodded and then caught her breath. “Oh, I understand now.” She turned her head towards Karen. “I'm sorry for not taking into account that you would need to be as functional as Data.”

“It's all right, Doctor. Most people absently dismiss us and our feelings.” Karen said. “We did only just acquire them recently.”

“That's not a good enough reason for ignorance.” Dr. Polaski said and lightly touched her arm as an apology. “I need to go to sickbay and get back to work.” She looked at Calvin. “Thank you for taking me on another away mission.”

“Like Geordi said, it's one for the log books.” Calvin said.

Dr. Polaski smiled and went down a different hallway to take a turbolift to sickbay.

“You three need to go as well.” Karen said. “Data, I'll see you back at your place later.”

“I look forward to it.” Data said and gave a look to Geordi and Calvin.

Both men nodded and turned around to give him privacy. There was a sound of a kiss a second later.

“Bye.” Karen said and walked away.

“Let's get to the bridge and finish our shifts.” Calvin said and the three of them went to a turbolift and rode it up to the bridge. They resumed their stations after they nodded thanks to their replacements.

“Take us out, Ensign.” Riker ordered. “We have a date with the Seven Sisters to get to.”

“Yes, sir.” Calvin said with a smile and entered the commands. “Course set for the Pleiades in the Taurus constellation.”

“Engage.” Picard said and the ship left orbit of the planet. A science ship would be sent to help the populace acclimate to the changes in their society that their failing cloaking technology would create.

*

The Enterprise had only been exploring the interesting constellation for a week when they recieved orders from Starfleet to check on a terraforming project on Velara III that had been falling behind schedule. As soon as the ship entered orbit, Data used the modified scanners and detected the reason the terraforming had been delayed.

“Sir, there seems to be a local lifeform.” Data said and Picard stood before he walked over to him.

“Explain.” Picard said.

“Unlike the reports of a dead planet of just sand particles and desert, there is silicon residue that is emitting distinct life signs.” Data said and showed him the information. The main concentration was directly under where the main base was using it as a power generation station.

“I will need to contact Starfleet about this immediately.” Picard said. “Number One, order the terraforming crew to halt all operations until further notice.”

“Yes, sir.” Riker said.

Picard left the bridge and went to his ready room.

Riker issued the orders to the planet and walked over to Calvin. “You've already proven your scanners are going to help this ship and crew, so the captain isn't as annoyed with us as he could have been.”

Calvin understood what he meant. “The androids.”

“I've explained as best as I could and showed him the reports on their creation and functions.” Riker said. “He's not happy about them not being a part of Starfleet and is worried that they won't qualify for the same exceptions that Data was granted.”

Calvin sighed and nodded. “I was worried about that.” He said and tapped his comm badge. “Maker to Karen.”

“Karen here. Go ahead.”

“It looks like we're going with the formal petition for recognition's backup plan Alpha-Two.”

“Maker, do you think that is wise?” Karen asked. “It is a huge step for you to take so soon.”

“I don't have much choice. I can't have Starfleet rule you and Minuet as property.” Calvin said and both Data and Riker nodded. “Please file the appropriate documents and register the home planet where we discussed.”

Deanna walked over to him and put her hands on his shoulders. “Are you sure you want to do this, Cal? Karen's right. If you do this, it's going to change a lot of things for both you and the things you've created.”

“I know.” Calvin said and put his hand on one of hers.

“I'm just glad that the Betazed Council approved of your plan when you proposed it.”

Calvin chuckled. “It was supposed to be decades from now when we retired from Starfleet.”

Deanna smiled. “I suppose I did marry you for excitement and adventure, just like our vows stated.”

Calvin stood and gave her a quick kiss. “Thank you for supporting me in this.”

“It's my job.” Deanna said and pushed him back into his seat. “Now get back to work.”

Calvin took her hand and held it, then let it go. “Karen, file everything we've prepared and not just the creation of our estate. I want it to all be public knowledge, too.”

“I will send copies to your parents as well.” Karen said. “Karen out.”

“What just happened?” Riker asked, slightly confused about the conversation.

“You just witnessed the official birth of the Kryptonian Empire.” Calvin said and Riker looked surprised, as did a few other crew members on the bridge. “Karen will be filing papers for an association and possible inclusion into the United Federation of Planets.”

“That's just... wow.” Tasha said and several people nodded.

“Karen and Minuet are fully recognized citizens with all rights and privileges in the empire.” Calvin said and Data smiled. “It's the quickest way to ensure their petition to the federation will be approved.”

“You're taking their safety quite personally.” Riker said and smiled himself. “Thank you, Calvin.”

Calvin nodded and they all resumed their stations to wait for Picard to return.

When the captain returnd to the bridge, he informed them all that the terraforming project had been cancelled and the facility was to be dismantled and the terraforming crew taken from the planet's surface.

The terraforming crew were not happy to hear that, as they had dedicated several years of their careers to transfer to this project. Regardless of their views on the matter, they had to pack up and leave. A science and recovery ship would be sent in a couple of weeks to complete the dismantling of the facility.

*

Several weeks later, the Enterprise was ordered to return to Earth for an urgent investigation. Everyone onboard assumed it was because of Calvin's declaration and creation of a new empire, so the ship headed back to the heart of the federation.

When it arrived in orbit, Captain Picard went to the main transporter room and was surprised to be greeted by his old friend Admiral Gregory Quinn, when two people materialized. His assistant had been ordered to conduct a complete investigation of the Enterprise's crew on the behalf of Starfleet Intelligence.

*Beep!* *Beep!* *Beep!*

“Captain!” Transporter Chief Miles O'Brien exclaimed. “We have an unknown biological contamination of both the admiral and his assistant!”

The admiral sighed. “I didn't want to have it happen this way.”

“Step away from the transporter controls.” The assistant said as he drew a hand phaser on Miles and then pointed it at Picard. “How did you detect us?”

“I believe the more pressing matter is what are we going to do with you.” Picard said as a forcefield snapped on between the transporter pads and the rest of the room.

“You aren't going to do anything to u-uhhhhh.” The assistant said as he shot the phaser at the forcefield and then collapsed from the stun setting emitted from the transporter pad he was standing on.

“I can't believe that worked.” Miles said as he stared at the two twitching people inside the containment barrier.

“I've said it before. Ensign Crusher doesn't do anything that won't work.” Picard said and sighed. “I'm just sorry that this upgrade to our systems had to work at all.”

Dr. Polaski and Calvin ran into the room and saw the two unconscious people behind the barrier. After two quick scans with her new dedicated medical K-scanner, both people were diagnosed with a virulent parasitic infection. The assistant was almost completely different on the inside, because he was a breeding ground for them, and the admiral had one sitting on his brain stem.

“Can it be removed?” Picard asked.

“Unfortunately, yes.” Dr. Polaski said.

“Explain that.” Picard said.

“The parasite is completely tied into the host's neural network and has situated itself in the worst position possible for surgical extraction.” Dr. Polaski said. “Any mistake or the parasite feeling we are removing it, could kill the host immediately.”

Calvin looked at the transporter and back at the two unconscious people. “What I am about to say will seem callous and I apologize.” He said and Picard nodded. “The assistant can't be saved. If we extract an intact parasite from the nest, we could, theoretically, use its biomatter as a filter for the transporter.”

“Cal! That's brilliant!” Dr. Polaski said. “We can also use it as an all-inclusive sweep and scan the rest of Starfleet Command for similarly non-detectable biomatter, thanks to the modifications you made to the ship!”

“Then we can just beam anyone that's infected up here, filtering out the parasite, and then examine the host for excessive damage.” Calvin said. “There's still a dangerous chance of the host dying if the parasite has been in control for too long.”

Dr. Polaski nodded. “If it has taken complete autonomic control, then there's nothing we can do. Either way, the parasites have to be dealt with.”

“Agreed.” Picard said and hit his comm badge. “Captain Picard to Mr. Data.”

“Data here. Go ahead, captain.”

“I need you to discreetly examine Starfleet records and see who else Admiral Quinn and his assistant have investigated in a similar manner as they tried with the Enterprise.” Picard said.

“Right away, captain. Data out.”

“Will we need to separate them or can you perform the surgery here on the assistant?” Picard asked.

“We definitely need containment protocols and hazard suits, especially mouth coverings.” Dr. Polaski said and Picard gave her a surprised look. “Mouth to mouth is the easiest way to transfer parasites.”

“I will keep that in mind.” Picard said. “Proceed, doctor. Let me know of your progress and when we can test the procedure on the admiral.”

“Yes, sir.” Dr. Polaski said and Picard left the transporter room.

“Miles, you might want to step out for this part.” Calvin said.

“You don't have to convince me.” Miles said and locked his console. “Call me back when you need me again.”

“Thanks, Miles.” Calvin said as the door to the room opened. “I'll be right back with the things we need, Katherine.”

Dr. Polaski nodded and then laughed softly when Calvin disappeared. “I don't know how he does that.”

*

Four hours later, they had one of the parasites extracted from the nest and had eradicated the rest. None of them could be allowed to escape from the containment. The assistant, Lieutenant Commander Remmick, had died when the parasite queen tried to escape.

The parasite was added to a special containment cube and then injected with several probes and sensors to get its internal biology mapped out. Even if the normal sensors couldn't detect it, that didn't mean an exception couldn't be added for it with Calvin's sensor modifications, because they detected something and that reading was added into the transporter's programming filters.

Picard was contacted and he came back to the transporter room with Miles and they witnessed the first test be performed on Admiral Quinn. He disappeared into the transporter buffer for thirty seconds and then materialized again on the transporter pad. He wasn't moving or breathing. The parasite was beside him and made squealing noises as if protesting its freed state. A phaser beam hit it and it disintegrated.

Dr. Polaski and Calvin immediately went to the admiral and applied life-saving techniques to the aged man. A minute later, they let out sighs of relief. All traces of the parasite were gone from the man and he was alive.

“Luckily, his autonomic system restarted with the parasite removed.” Dr. Polaski said. “I don't know what his memory is going to be like, however.”

“He could remember being a passenger for the whole thing or nothing at all.” Calvin warned Picard. “Rerouting brain functions like the parasite was doing, could have messed his mind up completely.”

“Is it safe to continue with it, now that it works?” Picard asked.

“I may have to commandeer a cargo bay as a makeshift sickbay if there's more than six people with parasites.” Dr. Polaski said. “It'll need to be quarantined as well.”

“Do whatever you have to, Doctor. Data has the lists ready for you.” Picard said. “Keep me informed.”

Dr. Polaski nodded and looked at Calvin. “Now the real work begins.”

“The last five hours wasn't real work? Are you crazy?” Calvin asked her and she laughed.

*

It took nearly six weeks for the weary pair of medical professionals to go through everyone that had been in contact with the Admiral and his assistant for the last year. Each parasite was extracted and disposed of. The Admiral had recovered and had no memory of what had happened, which meant the parasite had completely taken over and that the rest of the patents would be making full recoveries as well.

Both Dr. Polaski and Calvin were praised for their work, given commendations for saving the integrity of the federation from and alien incursion, and then it was all hushed up and all evidence was removed.

*

While back out on patrol, the Enterprise received orders to investigate the disappearance of the USS Drake near the planet Minos. It was a planet that sold weapons to anyone that had wealth to trade and became wealthy years ago and then no one heard anything from them.

When the ship arrived in orbit, they were hailed and an automated message played and invited them to the surface. Data quickly scanned the planet and found no life signs. No people or animals remained alive.

“That is very concerning.” Picard said.

“Considering the history of the planet and the lack of recent contact, I suspect they have reaped what they have sown.” Data commented.

“I agree. This screams trap.” Calvin offered. “There's also no debris from the USS Drake in orbit.”

“I did not detect any Starfleet materials on the planet surface.” Data said.

“If everything is automated, that could mean Data is right.” Riker said. “They were wiped out by their own weapons.”

Picard looked at the blank viewscreen. “Options?”

“We could spring the trap and possibly find out what really happened, confirming our speculation.” Calvin said.

“We launch a probe to test if they will attack us.” Data suggested.

“We leave and post beacons to warn other ships away from the system.” Riker offered.

“We blow it up.” Worf said with a grin and a few people laughed softly.

“If the Minosians are all gone, then it's a prime planet for colonization.” Tasha said.

“I think I agree with Commander Riker. We should leave these people rest in peace and warn everyone away.” Deanna said.

Picard looked thoughtful for several moments. “I concur with my first officer and counsellor. Ensign, get us out of here. Mr. Data, when we are far out of the planet's orbit, drop several automated warning beacons and send a security warning to Starfleet. Mark this place as a No-Go system.”

“Aye, sir.” Calvin and Data said as one and executed the captain's orders.

The Enterprise left the system at warp six without incident.

Two weeks later, there was still no word from Federation Headquarters about Calvin's petitions and notices about the Kryptonian Empire. To say that he and the androids were disappointed that it had been two months already and there wasn't even a computer inquiry about it, was an understatement.

The Enterprise had been ordered to the Dellios System to observe and record the data from the unusual activity from the star. It was undergoing massive magnetic field changes that caused gigantic solar flares and the crew was tasked with studying it at close range. It was quite dangerous and even with Calvin's enhanced shields in place, there was still a chance for some systems to be disrupted.

The ship arrived and Picard ordered an immediate Yellow Alert status for the ship and crew. Most of the bridge crew were awed by the spectacle, even Calvin. Unlike the others on the ship, he knew he had a unique relationship with solar radiation of all kinds. The best kind for him was from a yellow star.

Its enriching and invigorating radiation would soak into his skin and make him feel energized and more powerful. The worst was from a red shifted star. The radiation from those kinds of stars made him feel weak, almost to the point of sickness. Needless to say, he always made sure to be well protected while in space.

Unfortunately, because of the unusual activity of this particular star, which just happened to be a bright yellow star, the entire solar system was being bathed in about ten times the normal radiation levels.

Calvin felt waves of the energy pass through him and the ship, even with the enhanced shielding in place. His console flickered slightly and he tapped several new commands into it. The partial overload was shunted to the backup batteries and the console stopped flickering. He smiled and tapped an inquiry to the computer about its status and pushed the execute button...

...and his fingertip went right through the touchpad display with a loud crack.

Everyone seemed to freeze on the bridge and Calvin carefully lifted his hands from the console.

“Captain, I am apparently being adversely affected by the anomalous star activity. I request permission to be relieved of duty, pending the ship's exit of the system.” Calvin said.

“Granted.” Picard said and watched as Calvin carefully walked across the bridge.

“Cal.” Deanna said and stood.

“I'm going to have to cancel our date for tonight, my love.” Calvin said, sadly. “I'll be on my ship in the main shuttlebay. It's the only place I can be sure that no one will be in danger.”

Deanna sighed and nodded.

“I'll work on adjusting the shield modifications to filter out excessive amounts of fluctuating radiation.”

“Please do.” Deanna whispered.

Calvin smiled at her and walked over to the turbolift. He stepped inside and was glad it was voice activated. “Main shuttlebay.”

When the doors closed, Tasha spoke. “That was awkward.”

“It's never happened before.” Deanna said and watched the technicians replace the flight console's top and restore the display to functionality. “Cal is always in full control of his strength. He practises constantly to never put anyone in danger.”

“Especially you.” Tasha said and Deanna nodded.

“I'm relieved that we haven't had the chance to drop the command ship off yet or he wouldn't have had anywhere to go to protect himself.” Deanna said.

“I thought he said everyone else?” Riker asked.

“He did.” Deanna said and sat down. “It would hurt him so much more if he ever hurt someone by accident because of his strength.”

Data's console beeped at him. “Sir, I am intercepting a distress signal. It is coming from a freighter in orbit of the fourth planet. However, the receiving station is on the third planet.”

“Let me hear it.” Picard said and several words came through and a lot of static.

“The stellar activity is disrupting all communications within the system.” Data said.

“Open hailing frequencies.” Picard said and the visuals were not much better.

The man on the flickering screen asked for help, claimed the freighter was falling into the atmosphere and would burn up, then the connection ended.

“Set course to intercept. Full impulse.” Picard said and the Enterprise turned around and moved at its best interplanetary speed. It arrived at the freighter only minutes later.

“Sir, the solar flares are partially interfering with the upgraded sensors. Attempting to compensate.” Data said and typed on the console. “Attempt successful.”

“Bring us in close enough to provide assistance.” Picard said.

“Acknowledged.” The replacement pilot said and brought the Enterprise into transporter range.

“I am detecting six life signs aboard the very old freighter and the orbit is decaying.” Data said.

“How long before it loses integrity?” Picard asked.

“A matter of minutes.” Data responded.

“Hail them again.” Picard said and it popped up on the viewscreen with only a little bit of static, because they were so close. “I am Captain Picard of the USS Enterprise. Can we be of assistance?”

“Oh, thank god!” The man on the screen said. “We've lost propulsion from a solar blast and my ship, Sanction, is falling into orbit.”

Picard turned to look at Worf. “Any chance for a tractor beam?”

Worf typed for several moments. “No, sir. The solar interference won't let the beam lock onto the freighter.”

“Our people can't survive without the ship!” Someone shouted from the screen.

“Calm down. Help is here.” Another voice said.

Picard hit his comm badge. “Captain Picard to Chief O'Brien.”

“O'Brien here.” Miles said.

“Can you lock onto the six people and transport...” Picard started to say.

“AND OUR CARGO!” The man on the screen yelled and interrupted him.

“And apparently their cargo.” Picard added, making a few people on the bridge chuckle.

“That's not a problem, sir.” Miles said. “I'll have a cargo bay cleared for the cargo and the people will be here in the main transporter room.”

“Thank you, Chief. Hold for a moment and I'll give the command.” Picard said and nodded at Tasha, who took the hint and ran for the turbolift.

“Aye, sir. Standing by.” Miles said.

“Freighter Sanction, please prepare to be transported.”

“And our cargo!” The man exclaimed.

“Yes, and your cargo.” Picard said.

“All right.” The man said and stood still as he told the others to do that, too.

“Go ahead, Chief.” Picard said.

“Energizing.” Miles said and the man on the screen disappeared in the telltale signs of a transporter.

Data cut the signal and switched the view to show the freighter in orbit as it started to glow. “The orbit is decaying quickly.”

“We have them all, sir.” Miles said.

“OUR CARGO! Where's our car-GAH!” A man's voice shouted and ended.

“Tasha to the Bridge.” Tasha said over the com. “Three men had to be stunned. They were trying to attack Miles.”

Picard sighed. “Very well. Take them to sickbay and our other guests to guest quarters.”

“Yes, sir. Tasha out.”

“There she goes.” Worf said and everyone looked at the screen to see the freighter glowing brightly from rapid reentry and then it exploded.

“Send a message to the planet and inform them that the crew of that ship is alive and their cargo is intact.” Picard said.

“Which planet?” Data asked.

Picard was going to answer with this one, then remembered the distress call was going to the third planet. “I suppose both would be appropriate in this case.”

“Yes, sir.” Data said and did as ordered.

*

It was quickly discovered, thanks to Calvin's and Dr. Polaski's modifications to the transporter, that none of the crew of the freighter were sick with a supposed plague, that they hadn't warned Captain Picard about before transporting them onto the Enterprise. Picard was not happy about that at all. He also found out that two of the crew were actually the suppliers of the cure and came along to ensure delivery.

Half of the cargo was supposed to be used as medicine to treat the plague on the third planet and Calvin's K-scanner revealed that it was used for that until the disease was cured. Now it was just used as a narcotic. The third planet's population was enslaved to its effects and the plague was just the withdrawal symptoms from the supposed cure. The other half of the cargo was the payment.

Despite Dr. Polaski's protests that she could fix the dosages to help the population, Captain Picard insisted that they couldn't interfere like that and ferried the freighter's crew and the cargo to the third planet to drop them off.

When the Oranarans pleaded for help in repairing their old and damaged freighters because their one working ship had been destroyed, Picard refused. He stated that he could not interfere with planetary deals or provide assistance beyond what he already has, since the Prime Directive stated so. Both the freighter's crew and the suppliers were angered by that.

“Captain, I hope you realize what you've done to us by refusing to help us.” The crew's captain said as he stepped onto the transporter pad in the cargo bay with his crew.

“Of that you can be sure.” Picard said and the suppliers looked sad. “Energize.”

The cargo and payment were transported down to the planet with the passengers and Picard and Dr. Polaski left the cargo bay. Neither spoke until they stepped into the turbolift.

“When the drug runs out, the people of that planet will suffer horrible withdrawal pains.” Dr. Polaski said.

“No doubt.” Picard said. “But, they will pass.”

“I don't have to tell you how cruel that seems.” Dr. Polaski said. “I could have made their burden easier.”

“Could have.” Picard said and sighed. “Perhaps in the short term.” He said and walked to the back of the turbolift and then came right back to stand beside her. “The Prime Directive is not just a set of rules, Katherine. It is a philosophy and a very correct one.”

Dr. Polaski sighed.

“History has proved again and again that whenever mankind interferes with a less developed civilization, no matter how well intentioned that interference may be, the results are invariably disastrous.” Picard said with finality.

“I'm not sure I can be philosophical when I know that people are suffering.” Dr. Polaski said.

Picard could only nod. “Believe me, it was the only decision that I could make.” He said and put a hand on her shoulder. “If I had repaired their ships, how long do you think they would last and perpetuate the situation? How long before they would be in this very situation again, only without us here to interfere?”

Dr. Polaski opened her mouth to respond, then sighed again. “All right. I see your point.”

Picard gave her shoulder a light squeeze before he let it go. “I'm glad, because we may never know how this turned out.” He looked at the doors of the turbolift. “Main Bridge.”

The turbolift took off and moved through the ship.

“We could send stealth probes occasionally to check on them.” Dr. Polaski suggested.

“Remember what I told Ensign Crusher about dangerous thinking.” Picard said.

“Only to do it when you're not around?” Dr. Polaski responded and Picard smiled at her. The turbolift came to a stop and Picard schooled his face.

“I will see you at the debriefing in the morning, Doctor.” Picard said and stepped out of the turbolift onto the bridge. “Take us out of orbit, please.”

“Destination, sir?” The replacement pilot asked as Riker walked over to meet the captain and the turbolift left with the doctor still on it.

Picard paused his walk to the command chair and looked at the pilot. “I don't care. Let's just get some distance between us and this system.”

“Aye, sir.” The pilot said and entered a set of coordinates.

“What about our mission to observe the star and the activity around it?” Tasha asked.

Data checked his console. “No observable phenomenon are occurring.”

“Then that's that.” Riker said and looked at the pilot. “Where are you taking us, Ensign?”

“The Opraline system, sir.”

“Interesting choice.” Riker said as he and Picard sat in their respective chairs. “Any reason why?”

“Curiosity, sir. We've never been there before.”

“That's good enough for me.” Riker said and nodded to Picard.

“Engage.” Picard said and the ship moved out of the system and jumped to warp. “Somebody message Ensign Crusher and let him know we've left the system.”

“I'll take care of it, captain.” Deanna said and stood. She nodded to Riker and walked across the bridge to enter the turbolift. The doors shut behind her and it was suddenly quiet on the bridge.

“She's not coming back, is she?” Picard asked.

“No, sir.” Riker said with a smile and a knowing look.

*

A month later, Deanna was called to attend a conference. Unwilling to delay the Enterprise on its current survey mission, she requested a shuttle and a pilot.

“I volunteer!” Calvin exclaimed with his hand in the air and a few people on the bridge laughed.

Picard smiled. “Granted. You need a bit of time off the ship anyway.”

“Thank you, sir.” Calvin said and walked over to Deanna. “Why didn't you tell me about this?”

Deanna smiled. “I wanted to see your reaction, of course.”

Calvin barked a laugh and coughed to cover it up. “We can leave whenever you want.”

Deanna nodded. “I was thinking a Class Seven or even a Class Nine shuttle would...”

“Bite your tongue, woman! We're taking my ship!” Calvin said to make her laugh, then he took her hand and led her over to the turbolift. “We can have the Enterprise fly by Betazed in a few weeks when the conference is over.”

“I can finally have that monstrous shuttle off of my ship?” Picard asked with a smile.

“I'm sorry, Captain. It's not my fault that Starfleet finds the Enterprise too useful exploring to let you ferry the ship all the way over to Deanna's home to only drop off a ship as a favor to an ensign.” Calvin said with a matching smile. “Proper mission protocols and all that.”

Picard nodded in understanding.

“Picking up essential crew is a good enough reason to pass by that way.” Riker said.

“That's what we're hoping for.” Calvin said and hugged Deanna as he entered the turbolift. “Bye, everyone!”

“Bye, Cal!” Data, Tasha, and Geordi said and waved before the doors shut.

“You just completely wrecked proper bridge protocol.” Deanna said and kissed him.

“It was worth it.” Calvin said and kissed her until the turbolift stopped on the floor where their quarters were located.

Deanna had already packed their things and Calvin called the two Kays to make sure they were already on the ship. Calvin and Deanna carried their bags and rode another turbolift down to the main shuttle bay and boarded the command ship. They put their things into the main bedroom and went to the bridge.

“This will be the first time through warp with it.” Calvin commented excitedly as he sat in the center command chair.

“It is a little exciting.” Deanna said and sat at one of the side stations on the bridge.

“Whoa, there. Hold on. You can't sit there.” Calvin said and Deanna raised her eyebrows at him. “The Queen of the Empire needs her own throne.” He said and tapped a control on his armrest.

A teleporter deposited a chair similar to his own right beside his.

Calvin knelt and secured it to the deck. “Your Majesty.” He said and stood as he motioned to it with a flourish. “Your throne awaits your wonderful posterior.”

Deanna chuckled at his wording and took his hand to be sat properly. She sat as if it really was a throne and her own half consoles deployed from her armrests. “Wait, it's real?”

“Of course it is.” Calvin said and kissed her, then he sat in his own chair. “You need some command experience, don't you?”

Deanna's mouth dropped open slightly in surprise.

“After I take us out, you'll be in command.” Calvin said and launched them from the shuttlebay.

The shuttlebay workers were just as stunned this time as they had been the last time, because Calvin still hadn't used the tractor beams to leave.

“She's all yours now.” Calvin said and moved his hands from his console. “What are your orders, Commander?”

Deanna shook herself slightly, because she felt that Calvin was completely serious with this. “Set course for Titan in orbit of Saturn.” She ordered and Calvin quickly entered the information. “Execute.”

Calvin smiled at her and hovered his hand over the enter button. “You just couldn't resist not repeating the captain.”

“Do not question the orders of your commanding officer.” Deanna said. “Do you want to be relieved of duty and possibly court-marshalled?”

Calvin chuckled and hit the button. The nimble little ship flew around the Enterprise and then zoomed off to a safe distance before it entered warp 9.950 and the starfield around them flew by like shooting stars.

“Wow.” Deanna whispered and stared out the viewports.

“I know. The sight is beautiful.” Calvin said.

Deanna turned to see that Calvin was looking at her and not out the viewport. She blushed a little and he leaned over to give her a kiss.

“My Queen.” Calvin whispered and sat back in his chair. “The universe is at your fingertips.”

Deanna looked down at her consoles and smiled. “As are you, Imzadi.”

Calvin gave her a significant look, one that she knew meant that he was going to please her a lot that evening. Deanna blushed slightly once more and nodded.

*

The conference passed by and there was still no word about Calvin's petition, so he delayed going right back to Betazed to check out the place that he had Karen designate as their home planet. It was a completely bare system, except for a large asteroid belt. The sun was a very young yellow star and he parked the Kryptonian Command Ship right on the outer edge of what was known as the 'Goldilocks Zone'.

“Cal, you can't. Not yet.” Deanna said.

“I'm sorry, Deanna. The federation seems to not want to take my claims seriously and I can't have either Minuet or Karen in danger. Not anymore.” Calvin said. “Kay-One? Kay-Two? Start the building queue. I want a main processor node right here and the computer core composed of crystals.”

“We have your design ready, Maker.” Kay-One said. “Opening cargo bay door. Initiating first primary hull section.”

Calvin watched as a very large section of golden metal slid out of the cargo hold. “Estimated time for completion?”

“Six days for the support frame, Maker.” Kay-One said. “Four days for the internals to be complete.”

Calvin nodded and sent a message to the Enterprise. He and Deanna wouldn't need to be picked up for at least three more weeks.

“Cal.” Deanna whispered and Calvin smiled at her.

“Once my flagship is done, we can start on the real work.” Calvin said and kissed her. “If you thought the Frankenstein Machine in the main cargo bay was huge, you're going to be really impressed by the one we're going to build.”

Deanna blinked her eyes at him. “You're really going to do it?”

Calvin nodded. “Once the main Hub is created and the AI controlling it is installed, it will be completely self-sustaining and it will build itself.”

“By the Sacred Rings of Betazed.” Deanna whispered.

Calvin chuckled. “Yes, my love. The admiral told me to show her what I could do, so I'm going to.”

“Cal, this... you don't know what this will mean.” Deanna said.

“I know better than you do, I think.” Calvin said and Deanna gasped when she saw what he knew. “Yes, my love. About fifty years before I had planned to start it, urged to act by my new friends and a lacking Federation response, the universe is going to witness the creation of a Kryptonian Dyson's Sphere the size of Mars' orbit from the sun, or a little more than 300 million miles in diameter.”

“C-Cal! Deanna gasped.

“Don't worry. There's station keeping engines, tractor beams, and several other safety features to keep the thing in place as it's constructed. In fact, once the first band of building material is sent around the star and the asteroids are harvested for materials and energy, the same setup will start on the opposite side to keep things balanced.”

“That's not what I'm gasping about!” Deanna exclaimed.

Calvin knelt in front of her chair and took her hands. “It's okay. That's why I'm starting with a computer core first. Well, it'll be about a thousand cores by the time I get the six interconnected bands attached and they each start their own creation matrix.”

“Cal!” Deanna gasped once more.

Calvin stood and kissed her deeply. “You knew I had big dreams.”

“I... dammit, Cal.” Deanna said. “What am I supposed to do?”

“My love, you can do anything you want and I will support you in everything you do.” Calvin said.

“What about your career in Starfleet?” Deanna asked.

“It's going to take a while for this to get going. I don't have to be here for that, though.” Calvin said and cupped the side of her face with a hand. “I'm going to follow you through Starfleet to everywhere you want to go, because I love you.”

Deanna sighed. “Calvin, you're creating something that should be impossible.”

“Kay-One advised me that I needed to stop limiting myself by conventional thinking. Once the federation started to refuse acknowledging that we submitted our requests, I knew that this was the time to do that.”

Deanna looked into his eyes and she felt his confidence in her mind. “I'm apparently as crazy as you, because I believe you can actually do this.”

Calvin laughed and picked her up and hugged her as he kissed her passionately. “There's nothing in this universe that can stop me with you behind me, Imzadi.”

Deanna felt his love and his desire to give her everything he was. She put her arms around his neck kissed him back just as passionately. “I love you, too.”

The pair continued to kiss as another section of golden hull slid out of the cargo bay. An android that kind of looked like Karen, attached by a tether line, pulled the hull section towards the other hull piece and used a chemical bonding device from Utopia Planetia to form the two pieces into one.

The Kays knew a lot about building starships now and the first ever Kryptonian Flagship was going to be spectacular.

52