Make Your Own Fate, Kryptonian
2.4k 38 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Here's almost 7,400 words.

It had taken two full weeks and not the ten days that the Kay's had estimated to complete the Kryptonian Flagship, of which Calvin's Command Ship was the main part of the bridge. The epic ship was on par in size to the Enterprise, except it was a completely different shape and had many more rooms and decks, since its internal volume was almost quadruple that of the Enterprise.

It also had many more weapons, including those Calvin had designed from other federation member worlds. It also had three warp cores of varying designs, enlarged versions of his people's hyperspace engines, and enormous tractor beams that could tear an asteroid apart. This was proven when the first android piloted asteroid mining machine was deployed. Ten more soon followed.

Calvin needed the extra materials and energy they would provide to construct the first Hub of the Dyson's Sphere. The enlarged Frankenstein Machine parts were massive and took a week to put into place and to position correctly to initiate the base pattern. The ten warp cores would be drained completely of energy to create something so massive that would in turn create massive things.

There was a reason that no one had ever thought of making a replicator the size of a starship.

“You are absolutely crazy.” Deanna whispered from her command chair.

“Only if this doesn't work.” Calvin said and gave her a kiss. “If it does, I'm just an eccentric genius.”

Deanna laughed and shook her head. “All right, go ahead.”

Calvin smiled and hit the execute button.

The viewports had to darken significantly as the bright light of creation appeared in front of the flagship.

“Power fluctuating.” Kay-Six said. “Adding in secondary cores and battery backups.”

“Kay-Ten, increase the harvesting! We need more energy!” Calvin said across the bridge.

“Yes, Maker.” The android said and sent all of the harvesters under her command to 110% productivity. Tractor beams tore asteroids apart like they were cotton candy and the reclamation sections absorbed and converted hundreds of tons of matter into energy.

“Power stabilizing.” Kay-Six said. “Batteries are at 36% capacity.”

“Damn, that's 20% more drain than we expected.” Calvin said. “Can we shunt power from our own reactor cores?”

“I already am.” Kay-One said. “We are at 75% total power and all three cores are online.”

Deanna sucked in a sharp breath.

“Well, we knew it was going to be an energy hog the first time.” Calvin said.

“It's more like a black hole.” Deanna said and looked at the energy transfers. “If you're lucky, this will only last for another few minutes.”

Calvin chuckled. “The pattern is absolutely huge, my love. I'll be lucky if it's less than ten.”

Eight minutes later, the warp cores shut down, the batteries were drained, and the flagship's cores were down to 50% total power. It was worth it, however.

“It... it's beautiful, Cal.” Deanna whispered as she stared at something that looked like an enormous golden mechanical spider, especially when the thing activated and unfolded its working legs.

Calvin hit a button on his console. “Dyson Hub One, activate the primary building queue and initiate the defensive structure construction. Oh, and reclaim the spent warp cores and the Frankenstein machine parts, please.”

“Yes, Maker.” Dyson Hub One responded. “Primary power online. Secondary power online. Tertiary power online. Power feeds from asteroid miners online. Estimated time for completion, three days.”

“We're going to help you, too.” Calvin said. “We've already built the first dozen computer cores for you.”

“Thank you, Maker. Time revised to two days, three hours. I will need the first core in ten seconds.” Dyson Hub One said and started to work like a spider and pulled materials out of its 'rear'.

“C-Cal, that... how can...” Deanna whispered as part of a space station came out of it.

“I'm no longer thinking small.” Calvin said. “Kays, keep DH-One happy, please.”

“Yes, maker.” The ten Kays on the bridge responded.

“Transporting first core to the proper location.” Kay-Three said. “Hub nest is coming online. Connected. Sharing data.”

“I'll leave the rest up to you.” Calvin said and took Deanna's hand. “I believe you and I have a Royal Quarters to make our own.”

Deanna gave him a pointed look and Calvin chuckled.

“We have viewscreens integrated into the walls, remember? We can watch the progress from anywhere on the ship.”

Deanna nodded and stood to follow her man out of the bridge.

Calvin and Deanna ended up spending a total of six weeks in orbit around the young yellow star. By the time they left to head to Betazed, the Hub nest was already the size of a Starfleet Orbital Starbase and the solar collectors were providing enormous supplementary power for the matter conversion process.

DH-Two had been replicated from DH-One's pattern as well and both massive spider AI's were already extending the first band of materials out from the nest to go around the star and would meet on the other side to create another Hub Nest.

“What made you decide to model them after spiders?” Deanna asked as she watched the viewscreen.

“Self-automation and preservation.” Calvin said and flew the command ship out to a safe distance and jumped to warp. “Spiders are quite resilient and will fiercely protect the nest. They can also produce webbing in massive quantities and can build intricate webs with it.”

“Which is exactly what you want in order to finish this as quickly as possible.” Deanna said.

“Luckily, the mass of the structure when it's done shouldn't impact the local gravity quotient. The asteroids alone have the mass of dozens of planetary bodies.”

Deanna gave him an amused smile. “What were your calculations of how many planetary surfaces would fit inside if you only made the hull a mile thick?”

Calvin smiled back. “The last estimate was about 350 planets worth.”

Deanna laughed. “What in the world are you going to do with all that space?”

“Something completely ridiculous, of course.” Calvin said and kissed her.

“Why should I have expected anything less?” Deanna asked and kissed him back.

*

Calvin and Deanna were surprised that the Enterprise was waiting for them in orbit around Betazed. The crew of the Enterprise were also surprised by the enormous Kryptonian Flagship. Despite being the same relative size, it dwarfed the mass of the federation starship.

Calvin flew a Kryptonian Shuttle from the flagship with Kay-One and Two on it. Well, the extruders and their android bodies. He hadn't asked how they had successfully integrated themselves into mobile bodies. All he cared about was that were both functional and let others see them as people, and he suspected that was why they did that.

It also made making more Kays as simple as replicating the pattern. There were already a hundred of them on the Hub nest to monitor things and to ensure everything was on schedule. Each one was her own person as well, despite them all wanting to keep the same primary designation and only changed the numerical value.

Calvin landed the shuttle in the main shuttlebay and the people working there admired the sleek design. He promised to come back and give them a tour of the thing before he and Deanna left to go to the bridge to report in for duty. When they entered the bridge, they warmly greet everyone briefly and were directed to the meeting room and not to the captain's ready room.

“I'm so glad you're here, Cal.” Dr. Pulaski said as soon as the door opened.

Calvin smiled at her and lightly touched her hand as he sat beside her. Deanna sat beside Captain Picard.

“I'm glad to have you back as well.” Picard said. “We've been ordered to Aucdet IX in order to take on dangerous virus samples, which will be carried to a Starfleet Medical station in the hopes they will be able to devise a cure for a plague epidemic in the Rachelis System.”

Calvin hummed for a moment as he thought about the problem. “Captain, our upgraded medical facilities should be sufficient to handle that, especially with Dr. Pulaski's medical K-Scanner and the updated protection protocols.”

“Are you sure? I was nervous about transporting something on the ship that could infect everyone before we could even begin to devise a proper treatment, let alone a vaccine.” Dr. Pulaski said.

“We changed the requirements for transporting after that viral parasitic infection. The quarantine procedure alone would ensure the crew's safety, assuming we commandeer one of the advanced labs for the work.” Calvin said.

“That is a fantastic idea, Cal.” Dr. Pulaski said and relaxed a little. “I knew waiting for you to assist me would be the smart move.”

Calvin chuckled. “My super dense molecular structure and the fact that I've never been sick from a viral infection had nothing to do with it?”

Dr. Pulaski smirked at him and didn't respond.

“Dr. Pulaski can fill you in on the details once we're underway.” Picard said and gave Calvin a pointed look. “I've somehow noticed your command ship seems to have grown significantly.”

Calvin almost laughed, because it had literally grown from out of the ship's replicator and was assembled by the Kays. “I had to make sure my flagship was impressive.”

“It certainly did make an impression.” Picard said and picked up a datapad. “The threat assessment alone sent red flags to Starfleet Command.”

“Ah. Well.” Calvin said and then shrugged. “I did that to make a point.”

“I know.” Picard said and slid the datapad over to him. “What were you thinking by incorporating Andorian and Klingon Disruptors into your weapons suite?”

“Actually, they only resemble them. I've altered the designs to incorporate Kryptonian technology and they are significantly different from the base models.”

“Ensign...” Picard paused and looked at him. “Calvin, that's not the point.”

“I know, sir.” Calvin said.

“I hope so, because it has definitely caused a stir among the staff at Command and at R&D.”

“Already? We only entered the system half an hour ago.” Deanna commented.

“It's probably because of the successful integration of the hyperspace engines on such a large ship.” Calvin said and then looked a little embarrassed. “I've been... slacking off... in my personal reports to Starfleet about my work on Kryptonian technology.”

“You can't have it both ways, Calvin.” Picard said. “Starfleet has provided you with everything you've needed, or requested, since you were found. The only stipulation was to keep them informed about anything you've discovered.”

Calvin sighed and Dr. Pulaski pat his hand. “It used to be so simple. I would discover something amazing and then it would be disseminated among my research colleagues. It was great, we all had fun, and it made working for hours on end enjoyable.”

“Cal, I tried to tell you that you were going too fast too soon.” Deanna said.

“I know and you did. I also took the warnings to heart.” Calvin said sadly. “The difference now is that I have people depending on me to defend them. I'm working very hard to do that and I've accelerated my plans by decades. Both Deanna and I should have retired from Starfleet by then and the impact of my discoveries wouldn't have made a blip on anyone's sensors.”

“Because it's all happening now, the shocks are going to be significant.” Picard said in understanding. “This is all because of the androids, isn't it?”

Calvin nodded. “When I unsuccessfully asked for them to be recognized, I had other paperwork filed. That was ignored as well, probably because they either didn't believe it or I wasn't significant enough of a political power to make them take notice.”

“Which they now have.” Picard said.

“What do you mean, captain?” Deanna asked.

“They are sending a ship out with an inspection party to validate your claims.” Picard said.

“That could be bad.” Calvin said and Picard raised his eyebrows at him. “The automated defenses of the Hub could destroy them if they believe they have the right to be there and ignore the warnings.”

“Your automated devices would fire on Starfleet personnel?” Picard asked, concerned.

“No, my army of Kays would.” Calvin said. “They are not happy that Starfleet is ignoring them.”

“Did you say army?” Dr. Pulaski asked.

“There are a hundred of them on the Hub and eight on the flagship. I've got my two Kays on my shuttlecraft.” Calvin said and gave a pointed look to Picard. “Without the United Federation of Planets acknowledging the Kryptonian Empire, by your own laws, they are invading Kryptonian space if they enter the registered system uninvited.”

Picard hit his comm badge. “Picard to Riker.”

“Riker here.”

“Send a priority subspace message to Starfleet and warn them about invading a potential ally's sovereign space.” Picard said. “Add in them asking for permission to visit the Kryptonian Empire.”

“Yes, sir. I'll see to that immediately. Riker out.”

“Calvin?” Picard said.

Calvin sent his own message, only he used a hyperspace comm signal and sent it directly to the Hub. Picard sat there and listened to the ensign talk to someone several star systems away as if they were in the next room.

“They aren't happy about only keeping the invaders at bay, captain.” Calvin said after he ended the call.

“I heard.” Picard said and rubbed his face with a hand. “I think my headaches are only just starting to come to the surface about this, aren't they?”

Calvin looked at Dr. Pulaski. “Unfortunately.”

“You have to explain that look.” Dr. Pulaski said.

“It's one of the documents I had Kay file.” Calvin said and sat back in his chair while holding in a sigh. “If the federation refuses to cooperate with the Kryptonian Empire, we will refuse to cooperate back.”

“No!” Dr. Polaski gasped. “I love my scanner!”

“I know.” Calvin said and took her hand. “I can authorize a personal loan for you and my friends; but, officially, you can't have access to technology from a non-federation member.”

“That... that...” Dr. Pulaski looked at Picard for confirmation and saw his nod. “Dammit!”

“That's why I filed for associate status immediately and then for potential membership later.” Calvin said. “It's kind of a loophole that will allow me to keep working and helping the Enterprise, and the Federation, without officially breaking the law.”

“Officially, the shuttlecraft is considered an ambassador's vessel.” Deanna added. “I'm just sorry that marrying a federation citizen doesn't automatically convey citizenship to Calvin, even if he's registered as adopted by Beverly and Jack.”

“I've been living in a legal grey area my whole life and I didn't even know it.” Calvin said and let out the sigh he was holding. “Now that it's all coming to light, it really is a huge mess that needs to be worked through.”

“Until then, we have a mission to do for Starfleet.” Picard said.

“Yes, captain.” Calvin and Dr. Pulaski said as one.

“Dismissed.” Picard said and those two left while Deanna stayed sitting. “How are you handling all these changes, counsellor?”

“If I may speak frankly, captain?” Deanna asked and he nodded. “It's both extremely exciting and extremely frustrating. Calvin's mind has such wonderful and terrifying things going on inside of it.”

Picard gave her raised eyebrows.

“The best part is he is completely genuine in his desire to help the federation as much as he can. He is very appreciative of everything Starfleet, and especially his family, has done for him. His problem is that he's discovering what his birth people were really like.”

“How so?” Picard asked.

“They were scientists.” Deanna said and he gave her a questioning look. “All of them.”

Picard sat there for a moment to process that. “You mean to tell me that an entire civilization was completely dedicated to scientific advancement?”

Deanna nodded. “They have artists and musicians; but, it's a hobby only and it's all based on scientific discoveries. As far as my own research can determine, his people were cold, clinical, and without any real passion. Even their marriages were designed to produce perfectly engineered offspring to continue the advancement of science.”

Picard leaned back in his chair and folded his fingers together to rest his chin on his hands. He carefully considered what Deanna had said and what she hadn't said. “Calvin has been changed by humanity.”

Deanna couldn't stop her smile from forming. “Yes, sir. You got it right away. Calvin's experience proves that nurture can change the nature of someone, even if they were specifically designed to only do scientific research.”

“Which explains why he is so driven to keep inventing.” Picard said and she nodded. “Can you explain this Hub he mentioned?”

Deanna did so and Picard was stunned. He hadn't suspected anyone could conceive of making a Dyson's Sphere, let alone actually start to build one. That it was now completely automated and would build itself, told him exactly the level of technology that the federation was dealing with. A very advanced one.

“Thank you for being so candid, counsellor.” Picard said. “You've helped me immensely in understanding the problem.”

“I'm glad I could help, captain.” Deanna said.

“You have.” Picard said and stood. “I have a few important calls to make. If you will excuse me.”

“Of course, captain.” Deanna said and stood.

Picard nodded and left her in the meeting room to go to his quarters to make those personal calls.

It only took a week for Calvin and Dr. Pulaski to create a vaccine for the virulent plague with the two Kays, who helped with the deconstruction of the virus and the DNA sequencing. No one noticed the little energy ball that had been trying to get through the shields of the ship and had been dispersed.

*

The next mission the Enterprise was sent on, was charting a less travelled region of space, and they encountered a small zone of pure blackness. After an advanced probe and several scans, it was quickly deduced as a trap and Worf had a bit of fun destroying it. Once it was dispersed, they moved on and nothing else of note happened for the rest of the mapping of the area.

The Enterprise passed through the Coalition of Madena after that and detected a small cargo ship limping along under manual control by its single occupant. The crew made contact with the pilot, Captain Thadiun Okona, who requested help to repair a part on his ship. Captain Picard agreed.

Geordi and Kay-One transported over and scanned his ship to assess the damage. Kay-One replicated the parts needed and installed them before they beamed back aboard the Enterprise. With a quick hail of thanks, the little cargo ship flew on to its destination.

After that little encounter, the Enterprise brought aboard a man named Riva, who was a renowned and successful negotiator, to help resolve a centuries-old war between two tribes on the planet Solais V. Riva was deaf and mute due to a hereditary genetic deficiency and travelled with a 'chorus', or an entourage of three people in telepathic communication with him, and they were able to enunciate his thoughts for him.

Riva dismissed the Enterprise crew's briefing on the history of the conflict and his chorus explained that the dispute had long since become personal, regardless of whatever tangible concerns that may have started it.

When Riva, his chorus, and several Enterprise officers beamed down for the meeting, one tribal delegate fired upon them. Or tried to. Calvin had taken their previous experience with hostile tribes to heart and would no longer allow the crew to be put in danger by them and had transported down dampening field emitters beforehand.

The tribal member was subdued and taken away to be dealt with and the negotiations started. After a short while, Riva politely asked the Enterprise crew to leave, as the negotiations could take months to complete. So, they bid him farewell and left him there to handle it without federation support, because they couldn't force him to accept their help.

*

The Federation Starship USS Solstice, an older Excelsior Class ship, dropped out of warp into the unnamed system with the proper coordinates. As soon as they tried to initiate impulse engines to enter the solar system, they were immediately caught in a tractor beam and the ship jerked to a stop.

“Report!” The captain spat, because the abrupt stop had almost made him tumble out of his command chair and he caught himself just in time.

“Sir, we're caught in a massive tractor beam. I am unable to locate the source.” The science officer said.

“What? How is that possible?” The captain asked.

“I don't know, sir.”

“Tactical! Options?” The captain asked and turned to the weapons officer.

“Without a point of origin for the beam, we would be shooting at random.” The tactical officer said.

“Reverse course and get us out of here.” The captain said.

“Engines at one quarter. The ship's not responding.” The pilot said. “Orders?”

The captain held in his glare, since it wasn't the pilot's fault. “All stop and give me a damage report.”

Ten minutes later, he was fully briefed and he was also completely stuck in deep space with no way to move or react to anything. It was quite frustrating, as was the investigation group calling him several times and requesting when they could begin their tasks.

The communications console lit up with several subspace messages, one of which was private and two that were not.

“Show me the first general message.” The captain said and he was surprised that an admiral had taken the time out of their day to give him a warning about approaching the system in an 'arrogant manner' and to diffuse any and all provocations.

“It's a little late for that warning.” Someone commented. “We're already trapped.”

“Show me the next general one.” The captain said and ignored the ensign's comment.

“USS Solstice, do not approach the system without first asking for permission to enter. The local defense system will repel all invaders, even if you are there on official orders from Starfleet.”

“Invaders?” The captain asked, surprised. “We're an exploratory vessel, not an invasion force.”

“It's also too late for that warning.” The ensign said. “Someone really needs to figure out how to send and receive messages while in warp.”

The woman at the communications console laughed. “What other rules of physics do you want to break today? We have to slow down to let comm signals catch up, even if they are sent through subspace.”

“This discussion is not helping us get out of this situation.” The captain said and thought about the third message, the private one. After a short internal debate, he nodded to the woman at the comm console. “Play my personal message.”

“Sir, there's probably a reason it's marked private.” The woman reminded him unnecessarily.

“I do realize that.” The captain admonished her. “The timing is too coincidental for my liking.”

“Yes, sir. Playing now.” The woman said and put it on the main viewscreen.

“Hamil, I'm sorry to be contacting you like this again. I know I promised to never bother you after how we broke up so spectacularly.” The female admiral that had presided over Calvin's hearing said from the screen.

The captain groaned and rested his head in his hands, to the bridge crew's surprise. He didn't tell them to shut it off, though.

“The situation your ship is currently in, is partially my fault.” The admiral said and that got everyone's attention. “I ordered Calvin Crusher to show everyone what he could do.”

“Oh, for god's sake.” The captain sighed. “You never give an open order like that without stipulating to keep it within reason.”

“In my defense, I was a little drunk at the time. I expected a few innovations like the manifold design and his sensor redesigns.” The admiral said.

“Those things are great!” The tactical officer exclaimed.

“What I didn't expect was for him to officially file to have his people recognized by the federation.” The admiral continued. “Like all bureaucratic rigmarole concerning displaced citizens, it's currently lodged firmly in the anus of the diplomatic department, right behind his requests to have a new type of android recognized as sentient.”

“Oh, my god!” The comm officer gasped.

“I've tried lighting a fire under them and all I get from them is 'it will happen when it happens'. This is a disaster in the making and you can't... I repeat CANNOT... antagonize him or his creations. I need you to send an official communication to Calvin Crusher... no, to the Kryptonian Emperor, and politely request to allow the investigation team access to his sovereign space.”

“There's no way I'm sending that to an ensign!” The captain exclaimed. “I outrank him! I can just order...”

“If you think you can order the leader of a foreign nation to compromise his people, you are sadly mistaken. As of this moment, Calvin Crusher is two people. He is both an ensign in the federation and the rightful ruler of his people.” The admiral said.

“But there's only one of him!”

“He cannot be bullied or coerced, either. His personality precludes any kind of pressure working on him.” The admiral said. “He actually goes EVA to do hull repairs while the ship is in motion!”

Several members of the bridge crew made startled sounds at that.

“In short, swallow your goddamn pride for once and actually talk to someone before you make all the wrong assumptions! Again!” The admiral shouted and then paused for a moment as she composed herself. “Good luck.” She said and the message ended.

It was deathly quiet on the bridge and no one moved or said anything for several minutes.

“I'll be in my ready room. I do not want to be disturbed.” The captain said and left the bridge.

The members of the bridge crew exchanged nervous looks before they went back to work.

Half an hour later, the bridge crew members were shocked when two ships twice their size flew over to meet them. They were even more shocked when they were hailed and greeted by a dozen androids that looked almost identical, except for hairstyles and hair color. They also wore an odd looking uniform that seemed to suit their militaristic countenance.

The captain came out of his ready room and sat down in his command chair. “We accept the generous offer of an escort and hope that a small tour can be arranged for myself and the inspectors.”

The Kay on the screen smiled. “Of course, captain. It's always nice to play host to a foreign dignitary and his staff.”

The first officer caught his breath.

“We will have ambassador quarters prepared for you immediately on the Hub and a reception will be held this evening for this momentous occasion, the first official meeting between our two star nations.”

“Thank you, Kay...”

“Eighty-Six.” Kay said and smiled again as she tapped her nametag on her uniform. “We wear them for others to tell us apart, despite our differences. We can't expect everyone to remember our distinctions.”

The captain smiled. “Would you mind if I bring some of the crew over as well?”

“Just a moment and I'll check.” Kay said and tapped her round comm badge that looked like a planet. “Kay Eighty-Six to Maker.”

“Maker here.” A man's voice came from her badge.

“The captain of the Solstice requests shore leave for his crew.” Kay said.

“That's fine. You've finished the main recreation area already and we all know everyone deserves a little time off of work.” The voice said. “Actually, you should extend an invitation for a two week vacation and get the beach area set up for a lot of activity. There's plenty of room for the crew compliment of an Excelsior class to spread out and have fun.”

“Thank you, Maker. I will let them know.” Kay said.

“Keep me updated on the Sting Ship's performance. We may need to tweak the design if they don't perform up to specs.”

“Yes, Maker. I'll send the next report after we escort the Solstice to the Hub.”

“Thanks, Kay Eighty-Six.” The voice said and then chuckled. “I can't wait until there's enough of it to change the temporary name from Hub to Homeworld.”

“We all look forward to that as well, Maker. Kay Eighty-Six out.” Kay said and looked at the captain of the visiting ship. “The Kryptonian Empire extends its hospitality to your entire crew, captain. Shore leave has been approved and quarters have been assigned. All recreational areas are open for their use and a tour will be given right after we dock to the Hub.”

“Thank you Kay Eighty-Six. Please lead the way.” The captain said.

“Sending coordinates to your navigation console. Confirmed. You may set the cruising speed, captain.”

“Helm, half impulse. Let's get a good look at this system on the way in.” The captain said. “We'll see you in person in an hour, Kay Eighty-Six. Solstice out.”

Kay nodded and the screen blanked.

The captain took a deep breath and let it out. “Take us in and inform the crew they have two weeks of rest and relaxation on whatever the Hub is... after the inspection tour.”

“Yes, sir.” The comm officer said and did so.

The cheers of the crew echoed enough to almost reach the bridge. It had been almost six months since their last shore leave and they were going to enjoy it, now that it had miraculously presented itself.

An hour later, everyone on the USS Solstice were left speechless, because every monitor on the ship showed the view as they slowly approached a mechanical construct that was starting to obscure the sun. Even the inspection team were surprised by the feat of engineering and the scans the ship had taken of the structure showed the sheer size of the thing.

Three sets of bay doors opened and they watched as the two golden ships slipped into two of them and they approached the last one. The captain didn't have time to object to the enclosed space as the computers went into automatic mode and tractor beams pulled the ship inside and docked it.

“That was a little scary.” The vocal ensign said.

A hailing sound came over the ship's speakers. “Thank you for choosing to visit the Kryptonian Empire. Six umbilical tubes are attached to the exits on your ship and you may depart from any of them. Guides are waiting to lead you to your quarters or the meeting hall. The tour will begin in thirty minutes. Kay Eighteen out.”

What followed was one of the crew's most amazing experiences. The space station called the Hub had everything that a person could ever want for work, leisure, and for couples to enjoy. There were fancy restaurants, holodecks, and a real beach that was two miles long. The labs for research were also far beyond anything Starfleet currently had, including several machines and devices that didn't exist and they didn't know the purpose of.

The Kays explained everything when asked and even provided more detailed scans when the inspection team's tricorder signals couldn't penetrate some of the walls or machines. What the team saw made them nervous and excited, because of the implications that having access to the same level of technology would mean for the Federation in general and Starfleet in particular.

“You've arrived at a great time.” Kay Twenty-Three said and led the large group of people towards an observation room. “We've refined the Sting Ship design and will be replicating replacements for the ones we escorted you with.”

“Did you just say you're replicating an entire starship?” The captain asked and several of his engineering crew muttered about it.

“We reclaim the old one to save on energy expenditure and then create a new one.” Kay Twenty-Three said as one of the ships that dwarfed the USS Solstice was pulled into the large hanger bay.

To their shock, the entire ship was covered in the telltale signs of a transporter beam for nearly a full minute before the ship disappeared. They were left speechless as the transporter started to form again and two minutes later, the ship was back, the design slightly different, and it was pulled out of the bay.

“Are we inside a hologram simulation?” Someone asked as the second ship was brought in.

“Our Maker does not think small.” Kay Twenty-Three said, proudly. “Now that we've fixed the design, we can continue to make enough ships to patrol the system.”

“Hold on, you really are making them?” One of the inspectors asked. “This wasn't some elaborate trick or slight-of-hand?”

“Of course not. How would you ever take us seriously if we did something like that?” Kay Twenty-Three asked. “We can stay here for the next ten minutes before you all need to get changed for the reception.”

A few of the crew looked nervous.

“If you are worried about formal wear, it has been provided in your rooms. We wouldn't invite you to eat formally if we weren't prepared for it.” Kay Twenty-Three said. “If it's not to your liking, you can replicate whatever clothing you want.”

“That's a relief.” The ensign from the bridge said.

“You can eat whenever you want as well. The cafeteria lounge is open at all hours and the replicators in the rooms can also provide whatever your dietary needs are.”

“Thank you, Kay Twenty-Three.” The captain said and successfully hid his surprise when a third ship formed in front of the observation window and was pulled out of the hanger bay. They don't build their starships! They replicate them!

Ten minutes and four ships later, the group was led back to their quarters and left to change.

The reception was a lively affair, even if half of the people there were androids and looked nearly identical. To everyone's surprise, the androids joined them for the meal and sat with them, then ate the same food as them as they continued their conversations.

*

The Enterprise received an urgent communique from a well respected and reclusive scientist for medical help and a specialist named Dr. Selar was assigned by Starfleet Medical to assist. She was a tall Vulcan with short black hair and pointed ears, like the rest of her race. She also had the slightly cold and dispassionate countenance that Vulcans were well known for.

Of course, Calvin was immediately intrigued by the woman, because her very presence was so similar to the few records he was able to recover about his birth mother. When he was off-shift and browsing the doctor's information on his computer display, he found out that she was sixty years old, which was the same as what his mother would be. Calvin felt a flutter in his heart and tried to suppress it.

Deanna caught her breath as she felt her bonded mate's emotions and went right over to him. “Cal! Don't repress it!”

“Deanna, I... I can't let my own need and desire affect how I see this woman.” Calvin said and closed his eyes as he used several of his wife's mental techniques to reduce and tuck away his overreaction. He took a calming breath and opened his eyes. “I'm okay now.”

“Oh, Cal.” Deanna sighed and kissed him. “You can't keep shutting out your feelings like that.”

“It works for the Vulcans.” Calvin said.

“They are a different people and they've grown up learning how to control their emotions.” Deanna said and hugged him tightly. “Most people don't realize that they still have them.”

Calvin turned in the chair to hug her back and pulled her onto his lap. “You're serious?”

“Yes.” Deanna said and cuddled into him to nuzzle his neck. “I want you to promise me to stop doing what you just did. It's not healthy for you... or for me.”

Calvin's eyes widened. “Deanna, I didn't realize... I'm so sorry.”

“My love, it's all right.” Deanna whispered and kissed his neck several times. “I know a way that you can make it up to me.”

Calvin couldn't stop his smile as Deanna's hand went below his belt and he felt her own smile pressed against his neck.

“I see you know what I mean.” Deanna whispered and bit him.

Calvin shuddered and carefully stood up with her in his arms, then he walked over to their bed.

*

Dr. Ira Graves was an older man and lived on a remote planet with only his assistant, Kareen Brianon, who was a vivacious 30 years old. On the way there to deliver Dr. Selar, the Enterprise received an emergency distress call from a nearby transport ship. Unwilling to let either situation develop for the worse, Captain Picard elected to send an away team composed of Data, Counselor Troi, Lt. Worf, and Dr. Selar to see to Dr. Graves.

Calvin immediately volunteered to fly them in his shuttlecraft and Picard approved, which left Dr. Pulaski onboard the Enterprise to deal with any medical emergency that the distress call may entail, and the Entrprise left to deal with that while Calvin flew the away team to their destination.

They quickly discovered that the request for medical assistance was actually made by Kareen, Graves' assistant, without his knowledge. Although resentful, the respected scientist allowed Dr. Selar to examine him.

Selar determined that Graves had Darnay's Disease, which was an incurable terminal disease and that the man only had three weeks left to live. After a short discussion, the away team began to collect Graves' research and records to preserve them after his death.

Graves eventually recognized Data as one of Dr. Noonien Soong's creations and claimed he taught Soong everything he knew. He even joked when he asserted that if Soong was considered Data's father, then that would make Graves his grandfather. Even Calvin was interested in the man's claims and he, Graves, and Data began to spend significant time alone together while collecting up the research.

As they talked about android design and positronic nets and their neural engram retention ability, Graves revealed that he had recently developed a method to transfer his consciousness into a computer, which would allow him to save himself from his death and possibly live indefinitely.

Data, in a rare attempt to connect to someone from his unknown past, revealed that he used to have a shut-off switch, which he claimed could have been used to precipitate his own version of death, since when he was 'off', he had no means to remain active.

“I took care of that.” Calvin admitted. “No one is going to turn off my friend, either on purpose or accidentally, or try to steal him or reprogram him. Not when I could do something about it.”

“Good for you.” Graves said and then sighed. “I just wish I could continue my work.”

Calvin and Data exchanged knowing looks.

“We do have that full body copy of Lore taking up space in my lab storage.” Calvin said. “It wouldn't take much to strip off the superstructure and then use the holodeck to create the appropriate biometrics and replicate the parts to fit.”

“We did blank the neural engrams already and our experiences with mapping the neural pathways should help immensely with re-encoding them.” Data said and looked at Graves. “Doctor, would you care to participate in an experiment that could save your life?”

Graves let a huge grin form on his face. “Even if this doesn't work, I'll let you have a copy of the method I've developed for mind transference, just in case anything happens to you.”

“Thank you, Doctor. That gives me more reassurance than I expected it would.” Data said and Calvin and Graves chuckled.

“I better get a Kay in here if we're going to get this done.” Calvin said and the three of them put their research gathering on hold as they prepped the computer and the doctor for a ridiculous procedure.

Three days later, the rest of the away team were shocked when a younger Dr. Graves entered the main research facility from his private lab.

“I-I-Ira?” Kareen asked, her voice shaky.

“Yes, my darling.” Graves said and strode over to her to hug and then kiss her passionately.

Deanna stared at the rejuvenated man and then she stared at Calvin and Data. “What did you do?”

“We discovered new technology and incorporated it into a particular android creation process.” Calvin said. “I've also compensated Dr. Graves for sharing his private research that didn't involve Starfleet or Federation contracts.”

“This is quite the compensation.” Dr. Selar said.

“Unfortunately, he is technically not recognized as a federation citizen right now, so I've granted him temporary Kryptonian citizenship until the federation can get off their butts and push the paperwork through.”

“Where's your real body?” Kareen asked.

“I've had it loaded into a stasis pod with a permanent power supply.” Graves said. “I couldn't let myself die, not with my life just getting back on track.”

“But... what about...” Kareen looked around the lab.

“My dearest Kareen, we've spent enough time hiding out in the outskirts of the federation.” He said and then smiled as he dropped to one knee. “Despite how I've always felt about you, I could never do more than kiss your hand and admire your beauty. With this new body, I intend to show you how much I love you.”

Kareen blushed a little and then looked confused. “Wait, if you're an android...”

“I believe the words Data used were 'fully functional'.” Graves said and smiled.

“Oh, my.” Kareen said and blushed deeply.

“Will you do me the honors of becoming my wife?”

“Y-yes, I... I will. I do.” Kareen said and bent down to kiss him passionately.

“Now what do we do?” Worf asked.

“We're still packing everything up.” Graves said and stood up to hold the woman he loved in his arms. “I was serious that we were leaving my reclusive self behind.” He looked into his soon to be wife's eyes. “How about a month on Risa after we're married and then we can find a nice little starbase colony on one of the main worlds to settle down on?”

Kareen looked very happy about that and kissed him passionately again.

Once the entire lab was packed up over the next week and a large transport was called to take it all to wherever the doctor and his wife wanted to go, Calvin flew the away team back towards the Enterprise.

“You know, I'm a little surprised that you would allow one of your androids to be taken away like that.” Deanna whispered from beside Calvin.

“Actually, the doctor is occupying a copy of one of Soong's androids. The one we made as compensation for the process was for Kareen. It's in storage and won't be activated until she's either sick or much older before Graves uses the mind transfer machine on her.”

“What's to stop him from making more androids?” Deanna asked.

“Failsafes. He can petition me later if he wants to make them officially and I've tentatively agreed to that. If not, they won't work and his own will eventually shut down if he violates the agreement.”

Deanna smiled and nodded, happy that Calvin had been smart to cover any eventuality.

“Plus, he loves that being a Kryptonian citizen gives him automatic ambassador status wherever he goes.” Calvin said with a smirk.

Deanna had to laugh at that. “Kareen is going to be so surprised at the royal treatment!”

“No doubt.” Calvin said and Deanna leaned in and kissed his cheek.

*

The USS Solstice left the Kryptonian Empire's home system with a very happy crew, an extremely happy inspection team, and a captain that had too many unbelievable things happen around him for two weeks. All of their reports to Starfleet were going to be eye openers.

Resigned to his fate, Hamil went to his private quarters to compose a personal message to his ex. He suspected that she was going to be just as shocked by everything as he was.

53