Chapter 2: The Demon King’s Tongue
85 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 gentle stream of light filtered through the window of Yowa's apartment, and he grimaced as the rays reached his face, giving it mixed colors with a brilliant hue of violets and indigos.

It was odd though, he could've sworn something weird had happened to him. It involved a deranged little girl and falling off his bike. He put his hands up to his face and rubbed it in a soft motion. Nothing seemed to be wrong with his face at least. The pain was indeed real, as every movement he made was strained like his whole body was one giant pulled muscle.

It wasn't long after he thought this he opened his heavy eyed lids only to find the little girl face to face to him. He could see her unnaturally polished porcelain skin and that detail alone made him shriek loudly enough to possibly wake up the whole neighborhood.

He threw whatever he could find be it a pillow, alarm clock, anything he could grab within arms length, at the girl, who dodged them with ease and seemed to find his utterly fearful reaction as hilarious. "Stop it!" He yelled.

She giggled excitedly and bounced up and down until Kei looked slightly disappointed. She seemed  to calm down quickly after the lack of thrown things Yowa seeing as he ran out of nearby objects to throw.

“Oh come now. " The girl said to Yowa as he huddled into a corner. He also seemed to just realized he was no longer covered in dirty, bloody clothing. "Put some clothing on mister. We're going to need to look the best possible for today!” His eye twitched at the idea of this little girl stripping him and putting on fresh clothing, by herself.

Yowa merely blinked and lifted a finger in her direction.

“Just who are you, you little freak?!" He screeched at her. "First your coat turned into a freaking rabid dog, and now you're asking me to get up and put on pretty clothing for some unknown reason? I don't even know who - or what the hell you are!”

She cocked her head and grinned with a rather unsettling amount of pointed teeth. Her upper canines were dangerous looking teeth alone, almost like a animal's flesh tearing fangs.

“Despite the fact I told you my name I suppose I'm at fault for not introducing myself properly!” Her legs looked bolted to a action figure pedestal, and she puffed out her rather short stature. “I am your one and only self-proclaimed daughter, Kei!”

His brain shut itself off at this point as he gave a blank stare.

She didn't seem to mind in the least as she continued her speech, “What's the matter? You look silly with that sort of silly face.”

“Jesus on a stick! You're nothing in the least like me! he exclaimed. He then took a moment to look down at himself. "Do I look like that?" He cringed at the thought of being related to her though was no way that she could be. He never had any kind of children, nor woman to lay with, let alone allow himself commit to child rearing.

"Today me and you are family! Seeing as my old daddy is dead..."

“W-what? Who's dead?” He paused in to think. “And what's that got to do with me now?”

“Well....basically, you were in the middle of the fight between my daddy and a nasty demon. You got caught up in the cross fire and instead of my daddy taking the finishing blow you took it for him!” He scratched his head in confusion, as he remembered nothing of the sort happening. “I know! You're thinking you should've been killed; you by all means did die. Well, sort of. Daddy never had anyone sacrifice themselves for him before, so he felt obliged to help you.”

“Obliged? He actually killed me! If I'm dead does that make me a zombie then and I will start to rot?" The thought made him wish he would've died.

“Oh no, not that. You have the honor of a much more fitting reward!” She made a skipping motion as she moved over to his position and he immediately started sweating profusely. She leaned over to his ear and said, “Should someone sacrifice themselves for a King, it is only natural that he too shall become one, even in death.”

“Uh...that sounds pretty bananas logic to me.” He tried not to ponder too hard as that was just a stupid reason alone.

“You took the magic blast to your head and naturally it popped like a balloon full of confetti.” She stood back up. “Despite your sacrifice it really hurt him in the end. So he used the last of his strength to make sure you were brought back!"

The visual of his head popping like a piñata was not pleasant. He felt that odd feeling again, as if something was missing. Wouldn't that mean he;d look different? His thoughts went back to his face and the fact it felt sort of numb.

Kei's eyes roamed around the room as she refused to make eye contact with Yowa at that moment.

"He did die though, right?" he asked hesitantly as he recollected his scattered thoughts.

"Yup!" She wore another creepy smile on her face.

“That sounds...problematic, but doesn't answer my question.” He looked up at Kei's sudden change of pace to being teary eyed and said calmly, “Hey. I just don't understand this at all.” 

“The thing he did to revive you...was to use his own flesh as a substitute for your popped head...now that power resides...in your tongue. It has a magic circle on it like my father's!” Kei paused for a moment to allow that message to try to sink into Yowa's brain. 

“My...tongue...” It didn't quite register at first. He tried again to understand the logic that the little girl was spewing. Then something in his mind started to click together the information.

“He was the last Demon King there ever was and he sacrificed what he treasured, his power, to keep you alive. He loved it more than me. That was what he truly cared for...why he would so willingly give it to a stranger though...”

“Demon...King....tongue...wait, what!” He stood up and there were stars before his eyes as he ran to his bathroom mirror. He closed the door to the bathroom and readied himself as he looked at his reflection of a middle-aged man with various gray streaks in short neck length amber hair. Did he seriously now possess...?

He had to see for himself if what she said was true...he mentally pictured  horrible appearances of how it looked now. He stuck out his tongue with his eyes shut and then opened them one at a time and choked in pure terror.

There it was. A pentagram on his tongue as if carved into him. This time, he screamed loud enough for the whole city to hear. “I knew he wasn't going to take this well Keru-keru." She said to the coat she wore. "But he'll get over it.”

A loud thud indicated he had passed out as he felt faint and his eyes rolled up into his head comically.

Kei came and carefully opened the door to peep inside. He laid on the floor as cutely as a kitten asleep. She got teary eyed again. “Oh he's so cute when he plays dead!” She then closed the door and proceeded to go to his closet. She needed to find dressy clothing for Yowa. He had to look his best for his coronation.

2