11. Precious Commodity
75 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The iridescent fringe decor with pink uplighting and hypnotic centerpieces was dazzling. Servers with wearable trays around their waists wore metallic and robot-patterned leotards, while multicolored laser lights turned the setting into a cosmic blend of hues.

The atmosphere was clearly designed for a party rather than a serious conference. With the use of projection mapping, this majestic dome was transformed into a kaleidoscope of psychedelic colors and a futuristic paradise. It was not just a location for business and profit, but also entertainment and socializing.

After everyone was seated, the projections changed, showing now images of the items put for auction. Not all people there were watching the pictures. Instead, many were dancing on some weird hypnotic rhythms that were completely new for Shayla.

Her awe for the event was interrupted by Tejeda's exclamation. "Look! I think you have a competition. She is smoking hot!"

As they were seated at a table at the back of the dome, everything could be easily spotted from there. Shayla moved her gaze toward the place where Tejeda pointed with his head. There was another woman in a neon red dress. When she turned around with her back toward them, Shayla frowned as she sighed in disappointment.

"Are you serious? That is a female Zondarian and all of them have their breasts on their backs. I know that they keep their children on their backs during their early stages of development, and that is evolution's way of making things easier for them. But still, it is more than weird and not sexy at all."

Tejeda smirked, his eyes glittering with excitement. "I wouldn't say that! In fact, I think she makes an awesome partner for a slow dance."

Shayla's dark green eyes blasted a deadly arrow towards the Nubilae. "That is disgusting! I would say 'pass' if I had to grow a pair of boobs on my back so you could invite me to dance."

Tejeda's mind sparked the idea of Shayla wanting to be invited to dance. Should he have done that before talking about that Zondarian female? As a response, a repeated 'bang' came from E00, who was bashing his head against the table.

"Stop doing that! You are attracting too much attention," Tejeda said in a threatening voice. E00's eyes were flashing, but the Nubilae didn't want to unmute him because things were becoming weird quickly when the robot talked. It wasn't the time nor the place for this.

Holographic projections appeared on each of the tables, allowing each potential bidder to view the things up for sale. Tejeda rapidly scanned them before reaching his conclusion. "Oculus Grandi does not appear on the list. Most likely, there is a separate meeting for it."

Quickly scanning the room, he could easily determine that there were very few members of the Universal Consensus and even fewer Alpha Pirates. Damn! If he would have been more focused on his mission than on boobs, maybe he would have noticed that earlier.

Tejeda closed his eyes and remembered the image from before the landing. There were three domes, two smaller ones, one on each side of the one they were now in. He didn't have time to lose. The Nubilae pressed the unmute red switch. "I need to know where Oculus Grandi is being kept. Can you find out?"

E00 slowly moved his head around the room, closely checking out everyone. His eyes remained for a while locked onto a member of the Universal Consensus. "He is relieved that everything went smoothly in the west dome. Also, an order just came in. All the guards who were on outside duty were asked to come inside due to the upcoming acidic rain. They are allowed to relax and eat during the rain because no one can go outside."

Tejeda turned to Shayla, his face serious this time. "I need to go to the west dome after all the guards are inside. I need you to do three things for me."

He grabbed a bottle of crimson liquid and a tiny screwdriver-like projection gadget from his pocket. "First and foremost, you must keep this projection device in place at all times. It features a holographically augmented image of Kalden Deltak. Its details and craftsmanship are superb enough to mislead anyone who is more than a meter away. Second, this vial contains Kalden Deltak's blood. It is stored in a chemical that prevents coagulation. This body is far too important to risk losing, so I obtained a backup before floating him. I need you to keep it secure for me until I return."

Shayla nodded in agreement but placed a hand over his chest to stop him for a moment. "What about you? It will pour with acid outside. Will you make it?"

Tejeda took her hand into his and squeezed it tightly. "Your worries are highly appreciated, but I can assure you that I will come back. I can't leave Carmen with you forever, can I?"

Shayla yanked her hand from his grasp. "What is the third thing you need me to do?"

"E00 is one of the objects up for sale. You should do everything you can to keep him from being sold. He is a precious commodity, I assure you."

Without anything else to add, Shayla powered up the projection device and aligned it with the actual body of Kalden Deltak. When Tejeda slipped from his chair under the table, no one noticed it, as the hologram remained in his place.

The artificial voice of E00 was at a lower volume setting than its default magnitude. "You are also important to him."

Shayla's eyes sparkled, lighter shades of green appearing on her irises. "Could you hear him thinking of me that way?"

"Actually, no. But I can say for sure that no one touched Carmen and lived. You have been holding her for a while now and he doesn't say anything about that. Should I say anything more?"

4