28. A Past Mission
38 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tejeda’s mission on Valeria seemed to be one of the easiest ones he ever got. Convince a brilliant engineer to share his newest discovery. He should have known by then that anything appearing to be easy most definitely wasn’t.

On the rocky surface, the red-skinned natives gave the Nubilae a hard time throughout his stay. Their stubbornness and distrust in outsiders prolonged the period he needed to find the asset. Everyone responded with smiles on their faces as they lied. Tejeda changed into a Valerian. Nothing changed. They didn’t trust strangers, even those of their own race.

After a week, Tejeda changed his strategy. He barged into a high-tech service and screamed from all the power of his lungs, "I need this repaired ASAP." He threw Carmen on the front desk.

"I am sorry, but I don’t know what that is," responded the Valerian at the reception.

“That’s why you are not the engineer and just a mouth boy. Summon someone who knows what this is.”

Several people came by, after each call the scared receptionist gave. Not a single one could say what Carmen was, what it could do, or if they could fix it. 

"You should go to Hanga Odull," an elderly engineer said. "He's dealing with some strange things. If there's anyone on Valeria who knows what this is, he's your man. He lives on the opposite side of town, near the lake. A derelict home with a slanted roof. It's impossible to overlook." The elderly man laughed. "He claims that it is normal for an engineer's home to appear in this manner. A tailor dresses in shabby clothing. A shoemaker's shoes have holes in them. A doctor's lifestyle is unhealthy. So it's natural for an engineer to have a residence that's a shambles."

Tejeda found Hanga’s lair without problems. The description he received was more than accurate. The place reeked of a hazardous environment for every living being setting foot inside. If the shape of the house wasn’t enough, then the amount of junk and scrap metal found inside could easily kill a person. The piles of broken equipment, instruments, and shattered contraptions could break every bone in one’s body with an avalanche caused by a single touch.

“Come on, beauty, work.” Hanga tinkered at his latest masterpiece. “I know you can do it. Work for pappa.”

“What are you toiling on?” Tejeda asked from behind him.

Hanga's only reaction was a long sigh.

Tejeda moved in closer and peered over the Valerian's shoulder. Hanga's hand held a small robot with two minuscule legs and two unfinished arms.

“Can you fix this?” Tejeda asked, showing him Carmen.

The engineer looked at her for a few seconds and shook his head. “Sorry. No one can bring back the dead.”

Tejeda wasn’t surprised. He had heard that line a few times before. At least, the man didn’t apologize for not knowing what she was. 

“The Interplanetary Police is interested in your research for self-sufficient repair droids,” Tejeda continued. “If my presence here upsets you, I will take my leave the moment you hand those discoveries to me.”

“What do I get in return?” Hanga asked, without looking up at Tejeda.

The Nubilae laughed. That sounded more like it. Every excellent transaction began with a discussion. "Whatever you want."

“I want a woman to love me.”

“Sorry, buddy,” Tejeda puffed. “I can do many things, but I am not a magician, nor can I make a love potion.”

“Then you can stay here as much as you like since I don’t desire anything else.”

Tejeda shrugged and took a seat on a pile of cushions taken out from various vehicles. Since that day, he hadn’t taken his eyes off Hanga. The Nubilae followed him day and night, working, sleeping, and going out to the market.

The Valerian had a weird fetish for his mechanical toys. While he could talk to them for hours, he would freeze every time he tried to speak with Maya, one of the females in town.

Tejeda couldn’t understand him. Talking came natural for him, even more normal than changing bodies.

After a few days, the Nubilae told Hanga what he was and what he could do. He challenged the Valerian to choose anything he could do for him. Anything within his skills' reach.

"Make her fall in love with me, and I'll give you everything you asked for." Hanga seemed to have no other desires other than this.

"Your plan will fail. A typical individual's mind links a face with a person. But being in love... Love isn't about appearances. You may be drawn to a beautiful face, but what is on the inside is what truly matters."

"I don't care. I'm in love with her, and I want her to love me back." Hanga locked his gaze on Tejeda's. It was the first time their eyes had met with such intensity and recognition. "Your remarks demonstrated that you understand what it's like to be in love. You can see how badly I need this and how I can't get over it."

Tejeda raised his eyebrows as the similar ones frowned. Hanga had a sad expression, one of a man dying on the inside. 

“Okay, I will help you. But your research better be worth it.”

Tejeda had more than enough time to capture Maya's heart. The Nubilae, who wore the engineer's body, worked hard to put everything right and win her favor. His heart, which was actually Hanga's heart, surged in tortured anguish the night she proclaimed her love for him. It wasn't right, and it wasn't going to last. Both Hanga and Maya would suffer as a result of this scheme. He still did it, though.

In return, Tejeda got all the research Hanga had on self-sufficient repair droids. Theoretical bullcrap filled all the files; nothing could be applied to practical experiments. 

“You owe me big time.” These were the last words Tejeda threw at Hanga before leaving Valeria and the red-skinned couple.

3