Chapter 1. Beginnings
4.7k 18 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I felt horrible. My body was hot, but cold. I had a brain piercing migraine, and I couldn’t get comfortable. I could remember going to bed calmly, but I felt like I was in a semi-conscious state by now. Almost awake, but at the same time not really thinking about much else aside from how bad I felt. My entire body felt like it was on pins and needles. I wanted to just go back to sleep to not be in this pain, but couldn’t while feeling this ill. I tossed and turned, trying to find any position to be more comfortable in. While I was turning I heard noises of people talking. This immediately caught my attention. I lived alone, and had nobody that should be in my apartment.

 

I quickly sat up with a start to look at my surroundings. The first thing I noticed was that I was not anywhere I recognized. I saw a fireplace with an almost blaze inside. I looked around more at the stone structure I was inside, getting more and more confused and frightened at where I was at. There were bookshelves full of large textbooks. In fact, the place was littered with books, almost like the owner never heard of a TV. There was a desk full of papers and notes, but I couldn’t make out what, from my bed. I then looked out the window and what I saw made my stomach drop.

 

It was snowing, and the ground was covered in snow. Almost like this place never stopped snowing. I looked at the windowsill and saw inches of snow piled up to prove my theory. But that wasn’t what scared me. What scared me was, I fell asleep in summer. There was no way that it could be snowing. I started to breathe heavier as the panic was setting in. It was then someone came inside the room. My eyes darted towards them as they walked in. It was an old woman that seemed to be in her 50’s or 60’s. She wore sunglasses and dressed like a 20 year old, with a jacket and shirt that only made it to her stomach, leaving her belly button exposed. 

 

She smiled as she came over to me. I looked at her with confusion and shock with also a vague sense of Deja Vu. She saw through my expression and laughed a little as she approached my bedside. “We almost lost you there little guy.” I just looked at her confused as she was talking about my diagnosis. She felt my forehead, but it seemed that she was feeling my temperature through my hair. “Well, I guess that could be considered a normal temperature. I don’t really know, but since you seem better I guess it could be a bit lower.” I looked at her incredulously. 

 

My mind was full of questions, but the one that came to my mind at the moment was just one. “Where am I?” She looked at me for a moment, then nodded in understanding. “You’re on Drum Island kid.” I had that sense of Deja Vu again, but couldn't place it. 

She then spoke up with a question of her own. “How did you get here kid?” I sighed a bit while thinking. I shook my head while talking with a slightly shaky voice of unease. “I don’t know… I was sleeping in my room, now I’m here.” I then wanted to hold my aching head in my arms. I couldn’t do much while my head still felt like it was splitting. I placed my hands against my head, but noticed something when I did. I had no opposable thumbs. I looked at my hands in horror as I saw that they were paws.

 

My heart rate accelerated, my breathing quickened, and I could barely hear what the woman was saying to me over the sound of blood rushing through my ears. I then looked down at the rest of my body, becoming more light headed as I did. I felt like I was about to pass out from the shock of what I turned into. I immediately screamed and ran out of the room. The woman called out to me, but my mind was far away from her at this point. I didn’t care about where I was, I cared about what I was.

 

I ran around this place that was almost like a castle. There was nobody else around, even without looking I could feel a lack of presence. It was strange, and I could feel presence almost what felt like a mile away. The more I noticed my changes the more frightened of what was happening to me. I felt like I was no longer human. And that thought was terrifying. I kept running while looking for something to see myself in.

 

I eventually found a bathroom. I tried to find a mirror there, but couldn’t find one. I then found a bucket and a pump. I immediately started pumping water into the bucket till it was filled to the brim. I let the water settle as I was taking breaths to help steady myself for what I was about to see. I then peered into the bucket to see what was staring back at me.

 

I just looked at the blue and black almost foxlike creature, with red eyes staring back at me. I immediately knew what I was, but still couldn’t believe it. It was then that the woman came running inside the bathroom, only to stop and stare at me. “Not used to the new look yet?” She said almost jokingly to lighten the mood. I chuckled lightly while just staring at the reflection of myself. She walked over to me and just stared down at me. I was only around 2 feet tall, so it felt like she towered above me. I looked up at her and shakily asked a question. “Am I still human?”

 

She just sat down next to me and stared off in the distance. “I’d say yes. There are many people that I don’t qualify as humans, but I have one little apprentice that I would say is more human than many people out there.” I looked at her with confusion, and I had a few questions that ran through my head. ‘Why was she so comfortable with me being like this? And why does she not know what I am?’

 

It was then that I heard someone else coming around. It was a little reindeer walking on two legs, with a blue nose. My eyes nearly bulged out of my head at the sight of him. Because I knew who he was. I then slowly looked back at the woman. It was all making sense to me, everything was matching up. I was inside the One Piece universe as a Riolu. ‘What did I do wrong in my previous life?’

94