Chapter 8. Fishing
1.9k 7 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was early in the morning when I woke up. It was my turn to keep a lookout after Zoro. He woke me up and told me to keep an eye out. “Calvin, it’s your turn to keep watch.” I groaned as I stretched. “Yea… All right.” I got up and left the cabin. I went outside and looked around. I couldn’t see or sense anything out of the ordinary. I nodded and decided to practice attacks with blasts of Aura. I threw a punch, and when I did, I could feel my form. My stance seemed to be good. I never practiced fighting, but I felt like I intuitively knew how to best throw punches and kicks. It was strange, like knowing how to ride a bike when you forgot you ever rode a bike before.

 

I shook off my thoughts and got back to my training. I threw punches and palm strikes to try and shoot Aura when I did. I found out that palm strikes were much easier to allow Aura to flow out of my paw. I nodded while thinking of why. ‘It could be that Aura is easier to flow out of the palms, and not the fingertips.’ It seemed to be right, so I had to practice with palm strikes rather than punches. I trained through the rest of the night and stopped when I saw the sun starting to rise.

 

I looked at the sun, and stopped training for a moment to take it in. I smiled at the sight. I never watched the sunrise before. There was always something more important to do, always something that could hold my attention better. Being in a more simple place had its own charm. I was sweaty from all of the training and decided to take a swim in the water. I felt for any presence around, specifically any predators in the water. I felt nothing but normal fish that swam under the ship and nodded.

I jumped in the water, and felt the ocean water helped me cool down my body, and release some fatigue I was building up from training so hard. This was the first time I’ve ever swam in open water. I dove below the water's surface and looked around. The water was deep, so deep I could only see the black abyss below. It did scare me a little, knowing that I couldn’t see too far, but knowing that I could feel any Aura’s of attackers helped ease my mind. I then looked below the boat to see the school of fish swimming under our ship.

 

I smiled seeing them and all of their colorful scales. After a bit of staring, I decided to go up for some air. Making it back up to the water's surface I saw Kaboo leaning on the railing. He was startled at my sudden appearance, but calmed down after seeing it was me. I smiled and waved my paw. “Yo!” He nodded while quaking. I could understand what he was saying though. “Hello. Going for a morning swim?” I climbed the side of the ship with my Aura helping me stick. Making it to the deck I nodded to him. “Yea, I needed to cool off. I’m gonna take a bath to clean myself of all this salt water though. You watch my shift?” 

 

Kaboo nodded and I could feel happiness emanating off of him. “Of course, Nothing will get past me!” He yelled while putting his wing over his heart. I chuckled and waved goodbye to him. Making it to the bathroom I took a quick shower. After I was done, I toweled off, and left to go to the main deck. I made it up, and saw that everyone was already up and lounging about. Luffy was getting chewed out for eating all the food from Sanji. The only thing is I could feel guilt coming from Usopp, Chopper, and Kaboo all fishing.

 

It was then that Nami noticed my squinting gaze at the three and saw them chewing as well. Nami immediately ran to the three and clobbered each one on the head. I winced at the pain I could feel from them all, and tried to not think about it. After a bit of yelling from Sanji about the lack of food, and getting a bigger fridge, everybody eventually ran out of energy. We all just sat about while Vivi started discussing Alabasta. She explained the whole problem with me and Chopper. I already knew this, but let her explain anyway.

 

It eventually came around to her talking about Crocodile being the hero of Alabasta. And how he was planning to take over with all of his Officer Agents. I won’t go too into detail because they just discussed info I already knew. After most of what was said Luffy nodded all seriously, stood up, then smiled and punched the air. “So all I have to do is kick his ass right!?” Everyone just sighed and groaned at how dumb he could be.

 

Not much happened after that, everyone was just resting while Luffy and Usopp tried fishing. We had already gone through our food supplies, and I was starting to get hungry as well. I had no time to wait for them to catch something, so I took matters into my own hands. I could feel the fish swimming under our ship, so I knew there was food to be had. I moved to the side of the ship, opposite of the fishing boys, and walked on the side to get close to the surface of the water. I placed my paw in the water and directed a tiny amount of Aura at my fingertips. 

 

The idea was to use the Aura as a lure to attract fish, thinking it was something small for them to eat. Animals have certain senses that humans do not. Maybe having to be in life or death your whole life does that to you, but I didn’t know. Soon a fish or two came over to check my paw. As soon as one touched it I used my Aura to grab the fish and throw it on board. It was a good sized fish, but I knew that Luffy could eat it in one bite. So I had to fish more.

 

I used the same technique to catch a few more fish, all good sizes and made my way back to the deck. After climbing my way back I saw everyone all staring at the food I produced, and back at me. I could feel confusion, and intrigue again. Luffy was just happy though. I looked over at Sanji and nodded. “You mind cooking that up?” He grinned and nodded at me while he brought the basket into the kitchen. I stretched my arms and moved to the crow's-nest. “Yo, Luffy!” I grabbed Luffy’s attention while I was halfway up. “You should keep fishing with Usopp! I think you are gonna wanna eat more right!?”

 

Luffy looked at me, then started laughing. “Shi Shi Shi. Of course! You think the pirate king could be fed with only one basket of fish!? I’ll get plenty more!” I smiled and nodded at him before making the rest of the way up the nest. I looked over to see smoke billowing on the ocean. “Ok… Now to kidnap Mr. 2”

72