Chapter 37. Telephone Line
894 5 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After watching the stars together with Robin for a while, we both turned in for the night. Trying to get the rest we needed for the trek we would be taking. Swaying in my hammock I pondered while staring at the ceiling. The Den Den Mushi we got from Vivi resting in my paw. ‘It’s probably too late for her to be up anyway…’ I thought with a frown, holding the Den Den Mushi above my face to stare at its sleeping expression. Vivi never called either, I would have felt the Den Den’s Aura change from having a connection.

 

‘Is it my job to call first? This is why I was never good at socializing…’ I sighed remembering the very similar circumstances I was in my previous human life. My stomach sank staring at ‘phone’. Wondering whether or not to call, causing me more stress than fighting pirates. I eventually gulped and pulled the receiver free from the Den Den’s shell. I felt the Den Den’s Aura stir as it opened its eyes.

 

My pulse quickened, and my breathing accelerated as the Den Den rang. However one rang, went to two, then three, and so on. With each ring the odds of her being awake, or wanting to talk to me at the moment diminished. And just as I was about to put the receiver back, the Den Den clicked. I froze the moment it did, waiting for a response on the other end. The silence was deafening, the sound of my own heart beat seemed to shake my whole body as I waited for a sound.

 

“Hello… How are you?” I finally asked, the desire to finally break the silence overtaking my strange fear of what to say. “Have you been alright?” I asked again to the silence. “Yes…” Vivi finally spoke, her voice showcased the awkwardness I felt. Being in this body, attuned to Aura so well now. It was almost strange to talk with someone that I couldn’t feel their emotions at this point. However it gave me a feel of my old life again.

 

I stifled a chuckle, the feeling of worry dissolving away as I looked at the Den Den’s expression that reminded me of Vivi. ‘Almost makes me wonder what I look like through this thing…’ “That’s good…” I said back, a contented smile on my face. Silence filled the room again, both of us taking a long time to speak after each other. “How are you…?” Vivi asked back, the slight sound of Karoo in the background making me smile. “Good… The crew-” I was about to explain our readying expedition to Sky Island before Vivi cut me off. “Please! Nothing specific…”

 

I paused, staring at the image the Den Den was taking of her. I could almost see her saddening gaze, feel her depressive emotions. ‘She didn’t get bothered by me mentioning Robin, just the crew in general. Was that not already-’ I then froze, wondering if my instinct was right. “Vivi… Are you… Alone?” There was silence for a while, my fear rising with each passing second. “Yes and no.” Was all Vivi said, leaving me to imagine the other alternative. ‘Wiretapping might exist in this world as well… I don’t know how, but that makes the most sense to what she’s saying.’

 

I nodded and sighed from relief. “Then that’s fine…” I answered back reassuringly. “Is it ok if I just listen to what your day was like then?” I asked, feeling that if we didn’t speak about piracy then there was nothing wrong to get her in trouble. “Would you even want to hear about my boring life?” Vivi asked back with a small chuckle. “I don’t know… Sometimes mundane things can be special too.” I said with a small smile, thinking about how nice this strangely normal conversation was in a world of piracy.

 

Vivi was silent for a bit, before finally speaking again. “Today I had to double check the paperwork of the casino to make sure that they are paying taxes correctly now… Not very interesting, is it?” She finished with a laugh, and I was inclined to follow her lead. “Maybe not action packed, but it is intriguing. You guys still have the casino, even with Crocodile gone?” Vivi sighed as she explained. “We need the money… Even though that man created it, and it stands as a reminder of how bad things used to be… Now that they are paying taxes correctly, it helps the rest of the Kingdom.”

 

I nodded in understanding. “That’s rough… It’s the best option, but not the most favorable one…” “Indeed.” Vivi answered back. After she was done, we were both left in silence, neither knowing what to say next. ‘I should take her mind off of work.’ “You wanna hear a story?” I asked, only to be answered by silence. I smirked at her attempt of making sure I wouldn’t say anything I shouldn’t with prying ears possibly listening. “It’s all fiction. A story from my childhood.” The Den Den perked up while acting out Vivi's face, showcasing her interest despite the lack of sound.

 

I smirked as I started. “Let’s see…” I began, wondering what children's story I could recall. I didn’t know why (probably because Vivi was an actual princess), but all I could think of were stories involving princesses. “There was once a King and Queen, ruling over an empire together. They had a daughter, and lived happily in their castle amongst the citizens that adored their wise rule. However, one day, the infant daughter fell ill, and there was only one cure. A very rare flower with the power of the sun in its petals…” 

I continued my story for a while, until I realized the Den Den’s eyes were shut. “Vivi…?” I called out to her, but all that I heard were her soft and slow breaths. I smirked, visualizing her asleep on her bed with the receiver beside her ear. “Goodnight Vivi.” I whispered before putting the receiver back down, ending the ‘call’ from my end. I then placed the Den Den Mushi on the crate I was using as a nightstand, and got comfortable in my hammock again. 

 

Staring at the ceiling again, except this time with a smile, feeling proud with myself over taking the step, and calling out to Vivi. Something I would have never done before in my life. I would always figure that it wasn’t a good time for any girl I wanted to call, and held off, before so long had passed that it would be strange if I called them. This time, I wasn’t going to get in my own way. I wanted to talk with Vivi more. I didn’t know why, but talking over the ‘phone’ like this, felt good. Because it was her, or perhaps because it reminded me of a piece of my previous mundane life I didn’t want to part with yet.

 

Before I realized it, morning had come around, and we were off to sky island. How did I know that…? Because I woke up to the ship flying upwards in a torrent that almost broke the glass in the cabin window, and sent me flying to the ground. “Ahh!! What the-!?” I screamed at the rude awakening, but a particular Aura changed my fear to embarrassment instantaneously. I let out a sigh while looking over at Robin, holding herself in place with her own arms, keeping her grounded while the walls and floor flew around me.

 

I managed to stick myself to the ceiling with my Aura to stop myself from flying around the room as we soared through the air. Robin smirked at me, but I could feel her emotions were beyond just teasing. This was darker. This was payback. “Having fun?” She asked, tilting her head. I gasped, my adrenaline still pumping through my veins, making my heart almost beat out of my chest. “Wh- What was that for?” I asked, dropping to the ground after the whole ship shook from falling back down in water.

 

Robin smiled benignly like always, but knew that I could feel her glee at my comeuppance. “Whatever do you mean? It seems to me that you just overslept from staying up all night.” I then saw her glance at the Den Den Mushi, still firmly attached on my nightstand, instead of in the communal area where we left it. “Robin I-” “It is indeed understandable. I tried waking you, however with how long you must have spent up late last night, only a wake up call of this magnitude would have an effect.” He nodded with her usual smile, but as she spoke, her darkened feelings of jealousy creeped up more and more.

21