Chapter 3 – Emanuel El Normando
47 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 – Emanuel El Normando

Japorms!

He thought as he scrutinized his ironed-neat suit, tailored and fixed by his wife. The long sleeves fit without excess, hiding his gold-rimmed watch, and would look cool if he bent his arms. The showy red necktie became eye candy, and the casual black jeans, albeit not fitted, gave room for comfort and more action instead.

Emanuel bid goodbye to his wife, Cleo, with a kiss. He flipped his brown suit on his shoulder and strode with a style.

He had a car, a Percedes, but he wasn’t a show-type person. The car would cost a couple million, something that could make a man manlier. But again, he didn’t want such an exhibition.

Not at least when his wife did it.

He got a big day today, and Cleo prepared everything for him. Luxurious even, but the affection touched Emanuel.

“She doesn’t change.” Emanuel grinned from ear to ear.

He walked from home to his work. A long walk, but the man took it in stride. He even felt that this was the true reason he had a good body.

Emanuel reached the crossing while whistling his favorite tune–a set of quick beats. He was into rock-and-roll since a child, and he didn’t seem to change soon.

Suddenly, he caught an old woman walking out of the pedestrian and straight to the roads. He craned his neck and saw the red light was off.

“Oh damn. Grandma, wait for me!” Without ado, Emanuel hurtled beside her and accompanied her. By waving his arms, the cars stopped, which was to his relief.

“Good god. I’m fortunate these people are kind.” He thought to himself.

But it wasn’t even a second when blurs of horns rang. It disoriented him, and the old wound in his ears burst out.

“Move!”

“What the fuck!”

“Are you done playing? Move!”

“Where did two snails come from!”

“Urgh.” Emanual helped the old woman and himself to the opposite crossing. He scratched his itchy ears before turning to the old woman.

“Grandma, don’t do that again!”

But to his surprise, she only rolled her eyes before continuing at her snail's pace.

“Lol.” The man poked his forehead before going to his destination.

But just as he stepped on the ground, the puddle beside him splashed all its water on him! A car ran past and its window opened. One could see a man giving Emanuel a middle finger before vanishing from view. Curses stuck blathered his eardrum, as well.

“Snail!” It was the guy back then.

Grey–and muddy pieces of stuff plastered on his body. It stunk. Emanuel knew it would never come off. Not today, at least.

He exhaled, the air not only coming from his lungs but also from his stomach, kidney, heart, and bladder. Deciding not to mind his pent-up emotion, he started finding a clothing store. He still got a big day, something that wouldn’t change just because of a few hitches.

In a corner, a luxurious brand store stood and his eyes shone. “Sorry, My Dear. Your failure of a husband can’t use your prepared and loved suit for me. I helped with the laundry later on, instead.”

But just as he struck onwards, his phone started ringing.

“What now?!” He said, irritated. He opened it and saw his boss, and thus, picked it up, nary hesitating.

“Hello, Boss.”

From the line, a rush voice smacked his already hurting ear. “Before your ass gets here, make sure to buy pizza! A lot! Our client is an avid pizza lover. Don’t forget, Emanuel! Or you better forget your promotion!”

Click.

Emanuel rolled his eyes after seeing the cut line. His eyes darted. “Ahhh. I just passed one. The next pizza store is on another block.”

He rolled his sleeves to look for the time. “I’m going to be late.”

“What do I do?” He gazed at the clothing shop again before peeking towards the distance.

“Damn!”

Exhausted, messy, and uncomfortable. These were Emanuel’s current feelings. But the word of the damn wasn’t his.

Instead, his boss stood before him with pizza in hand as a weapon. The latter bashed the ground and pointed at Emanuel.

“You lousy, lousy thing! Think you are a big shot now just because you got lucky, and sold your book nationwide? Are you fucking retard? Just a waste!”

“A waste!”

Though quiet, Emanuel agreed to him. Of course, if one thought of the brand-new clothes he just bought and the splattered pizza sauce. He didn’t manage to present himself, and hence, the client felt turned off by their capabilities.

“I don’t know why the Kimininas Institute of Engineering keeps you as their speaker!” The boss threw a bunch of paper in his face. “Oya! Get this work of yours and do it again! It’s a failure!”

“Never come back without a new manuscript!”

Emanuel looked up and exhaled for the nth time. He could feel his colleagues’ stare, but the most important thing was to clean the dirty clothes as soon as possible. The stench and dirt had to come off or else he couldn’t use it anymore. And above all, he would fail his wife’s hard work!

“So much for the ace of the company!”

“No matter where I look, he’s nothing special! Actually, he looks like a special person!”

“Hahaha. Better get a psychiatrist. Our field needed a professional, not someone who needs professional care.”

But if anyone would know Emanuel’s thoughts, they might think of him far worse than these.

“I should wash it with my hands. Gonna grind till my hands come off! I’ll be crazy not to wash it. I’m an expert at this stuff!” The man smiled, filled with a fighting spirit. He had already forgotten about his assignment.

So, Emanuel went on his way home smiling despite the ruckus he made back in the company.

“What is Cleo doing right now?” By this time, the same old woman crossed the road once again. Rather than helping her, Emanuel didn’t even glance at his surroundings and let himself sink deeper into his imagination.

“Fish Miso Soup? Sourness and freshness mixing to make every bite more appetizing than the last.”

“Spicy Calamari? The taste of the sea, crunchiness created from breading, and the hotness that scours the tongue, it’s like a sea creature moving inside the mouth.”

“Fried Rice? I’ll be damned! Rich in flavors—the onion, garlic, and other spices exploded resembling a party of hundred people.”

“Ugh. I can’t wait for dinner.” His unconscious action wiped the little saliva dripping from his mouth.

“I almost forgot! The sweet, feral taste of cake, like wild honey fermented by years of bees without human intervention.”

“How can there be a goddess in this world?!” Emanuel knew he was love-struck again. And with the same person. To him, he hoped this wonderful feeling lasts. Because even he, himself, didn’t trust his body.

“Should I castrate myself?” He played with this idea for a while now. “But she won’t be happy in bed. I’m willing to be a tool for her.”

“This is toxic.” The man smiled nevertheless. “Love is toxic anyway. And anyone who destroys this, I… they better behave themselves!”

Crash.

A pool of blood sprayed on the paved gravel. People and cars stopped to huddle around the dilapidated body of the old woman.

Emanuel felt happy he had a lot less to do to go through the crossing. Everything stopped despite the go-signal from the traffic light. Whistling, the commotion behind him soon died down as he continued nearing his home.

Though he saw the gate open wide. The cats also appeared joyous, as if someone just played with them.

He knitted his brows. “That kid forgot to close the door. He’s not someone to be this irresponsible.”

Many reasons jutted into his brain. For any adult such as himself, overthinking became the norm. And this multiplied when about him.

“Let’s not get mad at him. He’s sure having it rough in school. Hm. I still got a slice of pizza left, fortunately.”

He wanted to call out the same thing his son did. But soon, Emanuel got taken aback by what he saw in the open kitchen door. He glimpsed at the back of his son.

“Something is wrong.” Something is brewing inside Emanuel’s head as he hid behind the corner, watching his son skipping on the stairs. And from the latter’s side profile, a black patch stood out—a bruise.

6