Chapter 13 – Happy Birthday!
29 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 13 – Happy Birthday!

Kacha.

Cleo whistled as she put out the fire on the stove. At the same time, she was cooking pasta, pansit, fried chicken, and baked a cake. Many utensils flew around her hands. She didn’t even use a timer as her body reacted like a reflex and did every cooking step with precision. She could even make a ribbon or blow a balloon in between.

Her son grew gobsmacked watching her entire act. He even saw her washing the dishes and maintaining the cleanliness of the kitchen as well. Even though it wasn’t the first time, he still felt breathless from her mother’s capabilities.

“Amazing…”

Cleo only chuckled. “Help me with the dishes, will you?”

“Ah sorry.” The boy rubbed his nose.

The duo sang a merry song while working on the surprise they have for Emanuel. It should be a birthday party alongside his promotion. But once again, it got postponed. It was funny though, they thought.

One couldn’t see even a hint of resentment in their eyes because they knew Emanuel so much, they would even know when and where he would trip himself. The latter won’t even bat an eye even if his boss berated him all day long. He would just shrug it off and moved on so he could go home earlier. The best hours of his life were talking to his family over and over with simple little things.

Cleo actually felt blessed. Even though they lived a good life, their family did everything with their own hands. No one pursued extravagance, and they just wanted to be in each other’s company. Her son didn’t like playing games with his phone. Her daughter went abroad to pursue her studies despite her daughter’s reluctance. And her husband’s hobby was playing with the cats.

A typical family.

Cleo wanted to say that, but she knew in her heart how different her husband was. Thus, she hoped nothing bad would happen. It didn’t matter how weak he made himself appear. What mattered was his ability!

Just last night, she heard two big news. The imprisonment of the Police Chief of City Q and arrestment of one of the biggest names in the law industry, Attorney Jimaol.

Cleo didn’t even need to think. She was sure that her husband did it!

Still, she felt assured that her husband could do anything just for the sake of their children. It was his unending love for them that made her fall in love with him - over and over again.

Smiling, she looked around her house, the place their budding love sprouted and bloomed into splendor. Her husband had a pretty vision and built this house in a contemporary-modern style, even though the fad back then was a mid-century modern style.

A ding sounded and in the next moment, a familiar voice called out for them.

“I’m home!”

“Ha-ha. He’s here!” Cleo followed his running son with a tender smile. In the door, they saw the figure they always relied on.

“Welcome, Dear. Happy Birthday!”

“Happy Birthday, Dad!”

A glimmer of happiness emerged from the man’s eyes. And Cleo and her son jumped at his bosom.

“My Babies.” Her husband cuddled with them before showing them a couple of plastic bags. “Hotdogs and sliced meat.”

“Good!”

The family began working. Their kitchen became livelier and soon, sounds of laughter and ruckus sounded. The neighbors even went outside to check what was happening. They were only three, but they seemed louder than a circus. Even though they were together for many years, all of them couldn’t get enough of each other. They played and talked, not thinking about tomorrow.

Next, they watched their favorite shows on TV while eating the grilled hotdogs and meats. They considered it as a snack while chatting about the juicy gossip.

“The neighbor’s cat got pregnant again. I’m thinking of adopting it because she will once again throw them into some corner.”

“What about a dog?”

“Hm. We can but you are to take responsibility.” Cleo became serious. “Dad knows cats well. But dogs are a different matter. He can be squelchy about it. Your father’s sister, Aunty Elyzza, has multiple dogs. Both of them already have pets before becoming an adult and they always quarreled with each other.”

“Really?” The boy became excited. “How did it go? Do they fight?”

Cleo became amused. “Silly! If they fight with a fist, even five of your father won’t be able to win against her. But of course, most fights happened with a mouth. And we know who has the most venomous mouth.” Cleo threw a furtive glance at Emanuel.

Her husband raised his hands in resignation. “I know, I know! Yes, I can’t handle too much friendliness, alright? And yes, we did quarrel but only because she let the dogs pee everywhere! Unlike those who have the best hygiene, her dogs have so much musky scent and they scrubbed their bodies everywhere!”

Cleo and her son laughed. They could imagine Emanuel pulling his scalp out from such a dilemma. The latter didn’t like an unclean house, so he always did the cleaning. A partial cleaning in the morning then completing after getting home.

Little by little, the plates piled up while their snacks disappeared. They burped in joy while patting their dirty hands. In the end, their full stomach couldn’t take it anymore and one by one, they went to the bathroom.

Shua.

“That was refreshing.”

Cleo pouted at her husband, who just got out of the comfort room. It took her a lot of effort to hold her call of nature and thus she pushed him out like a merciless killer.

Still, the man laughed, finding her actions cute.

All of a sudden, his cell phone rang.

“Emanuel, there’s a party here! The mayor is inviting everyone!” His boss’ excited voice attacked his ears.

“Not only your ass, get your family too! This is going to be the best day of your life! If the mayor becomes pleased with our service, I can promote you that instant!”

Cleo just finished her thing when she saw her husband with a troubled expression. “Why do you look constipated?”

“There’s a family date, shall we go?” He rubbed his forehead.

Cleo blinked and soon understood the entire situation. She scoffed at her husband’s indecisiveness and declared with arms akimbo.

“Gear up, Buttercup! There’s a party to crash! Err… I mean, we will show them the ace of J.R. Engineering Inc.!”

2