Chapter 14 – Emanuel, the soccer player
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14 – Emanuel, the soccer player

Illinois drank at the bottle of juice while eyeing the champagne on the sides. He couldn’t help but want to try, so his hand reached towards it. Yet, his hair on the back of his neck stood, and he stopped. He turned around and saw his father looking at him with a funny face.

“I won’t.” He gestured. But his dad didn’t seem relieved and left his colleagues. Though his boss pulled him by the neck and rebuked him right there.

The boy giggled. It was usual for his father to get scolded and teased by many people. The latter didn’t even rebut or get angry at them. He always said that he just ignored everything from those fools and moved on.

And Illinois wanted such a mindset.

“Dad didn’t like this kind of gathering. Yet somehow, situations like these found their way towards him and he managed to get through everyday meetings with all sorts of people.”

“At least, I didn’t have a such weakness. But I don’t have his tenacity either. I’m too rational and knew that only by socializing I can create connections and gain long-term benefits. But when things went downhill, I don’t have enough patience to push it forward. I won’t struggle when I’m against the current. Gravity is a bitch after all.”

The boy shivered once again. He didn’t feel creeped out because he recognized his father had spider senses. So, he slapped his mouth from saying the b-word.

“Dad doesn’t like bad words, yet he regurgitated f-words during the recent incident. He’s difficult to anger too. He parks with precision and I haven’t met a person who drives snail-fast!”

“Yet he suddenly ate two spaces back then!”

“Mom hid her worry, but I could see it in her eyes. Is Dad really a different person than I perceived him to be? Like a loose cannon, I shall say.”

“But, no matter how unpredictable he is, he won’t be as evil as those villains in the movies. I know Dad, and he’s a good guy.”

The boy grinned.

But while the boy got lost in thought, the entire venue exploded into silent whispers. Looks of envy and admiration shot at the figure entering the door. Petite and short, one could already glimpse her beauty when she grew up.

“That’s the mayor’s daughter!”

“How beautiful! She looks like an angel!”

“Look at her dress, isn’t that the brand new limited-edition Kannel?!” One woman almost shrieked. Sure enough, rich families had the power to buy such expensive and limited products.

On the other hand, Illinois furrowed his brows, watching the girl of the same age become the center of attraction. “Kannel? Dad gave one to Mom a while ago. But it’s not brand new nor a limited edition. Still, the thought counts. Mom likes it a lot. She always cleans it every day and she makes sure it still looks new.” He then scrutinized his clothes.

“What so good at having the most expensive clothes… when you don’t even look good? The best is still the clothes that suit you.” He recalled how thoughtful her mother was and shot her a grateful glance. At least, he won’t feel embarrassed despite his simple and casual outfit.

A chuckle sounded behind him, this time spooking him. He turned around and saw another girl. She looked cute despite having a simple dress. But Illinois noticed an infallible aura on her small exterior.

“Don’t scare anyone like that, okay?!”

“Hehe. Elementary School? Grade Six? Hi, I’m Candice.” The mature-looking girl spoke.

He patted his drumming chest. “Yes. Illinois.”

“I am as well.” The girl chuckled and pointed at the mayor’s daughter. “Don’t you like her?”

“Why not?” Illinois answered with a question. He didn’t seem serious nor joking. Just looking like a typical brat. This made the girl frown instead.

“I thought… never mind. Hope you enjoy it.” The girl thought as she walked away, “Actually just another kid with a cereal brain. He looks mature though. Maybe he's in a rich family and taught him the basics, that's why he looks like that. But in actuality, he's nothing but a spoiled kid who doesn't know the world.”

“You too,” Illinois smirked, watching her receding back. “Girls loved comparing with others, eh? Is she from a business or political family? If so, that’s why. The mayor’s clan has ties with both business and politics. A competitor perhaps.”

Illinois forgot the entire debacle after munching on a couple of donuts and took a violent serving from the chocolate fountain. From better to best, his day seemed to grow brighter.

But it crumbled down when he heard clanking sounds in the distance.

The boy’s face changed. He saw his father’s angry face, his mother struggling to get up, and a man who tried hard to hide his lecherous expression!

Illinois wanted to rip his face out! But he calmed himself down and measured his chances.

“Eight o’clock, there’s a server entering. I can sneak along with him and stab the bastard with a fork! No! Be cool-headed, will you?!”

“Three o’clock, a woman is wearing high-heels with a needle-size top piece. I’ll gouge his eyes out with it! Argh!”

“No… No, no!”

“Or five o’clock, those dogs… I see. Let’s grab a chicken drumstick.” The boy maneuvered his way. He didn’t even see how dexterous he was as he traversed table after table along with the current of people.

In no time, he arrived at his destination. The man guarding the dogs had his attention caught for a few seconds and Illinois didn’t hesitate to take his chance! He dove while his hand snaked towards the leashes. A cry of shock sounded and both the boy and the man could see the glints in the dogs’ eyes.

“Play catch!” Illinois screamed and threw the drumsticks towards his father’s location. Next, chaos ensued as the hulking dogs snarled and ran after the flying food.

Emanuel caught Illinois’ series of actions and his eyes burst into malevolent flames! His legs kicked to the thin air, making the pervert and the others beside him laugh.

“He has become crazy!”

But their laughter died down when they saw the drumsticks placing themselves right where his kick went! It bounced and volleyed towards them! And in the corner of their eyes, large-jutting-ivory fangs flashed at them!

“Ahhh!”

The pervert screamed. Although the dogs’ target was the food, they became stressed because of the pervert’s action, which accidentally hit one of them. Thinking the latter was a foe, they bit him in retaliation!

On different corners, the mayor’s eyes glazed as he saw his nephew being mauled by his dogs, his daughter became pale white, Illinois wore a triumphant expression which got replaced with worry soon after, Candice peeked at Illinois with extreme amazement, and… last but not the least, Emanuel’s boss caught his dropping dentures!

“He’s a soccer player, no?”

2