Episode 9: Dead End
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1

One year ago in a morgue, a night guard is sipping from a mug of coffee while keeping an eye on a small monitor. His small desk is placed on a hallway right beside a pair of doors.

All of a sudden, these doors burst open, which prompts the guard to frantically stand up in attention.

A blonde woman in violet, escorted by three soldiers, enters the cramp corridor as she takes out a badge from her pocket.

“Detective Violla Hearnn. I’m here to collect a body that is under your possession. I assume you already received all the necessary paperwork?” she informs the guard.

“Y-yes, sure. This way, madam.” The guard proceeds to lead the way for them.

They travel along the tiled halls and into a room full of steel cabinets that line every wall. The guard takes the clipboard hooked on one of its doors, and hands it to the woman leading the soldiers.

“You fellas came a tad early. The coroners haven't looked at this yet.”

“All the better.” She hands the clipboard to one of the soldiers who takes a quick look at it.

“Cardiac arrest? At such a young age? What could have caused this?”

“Probably sudden grief or poor lifestyle choices. I wouldn't know. I'm just the night guard here.” The guard says as he fiddles with the cabinet’s lock.

After unlocking it with one of the keys on his enormous key ring, he opens the door and pulls out the drawer inside. On it is a large black bag, enough to fit a person inside.

The woman in violet opens the bag’s zipper and sees the lifeless corpse of Alexia Kingsley inside.

“It’s her. Thank you, we’ll be taking it from here.”

Two of the soldiers bring in a nearby gurney, and gently loads the body on it.

With the body in tow, they promptly leave the large sterile room through the large doors that they came in from. Once the soldiers leave, the blonde woman follows behind.

“Wait!” The guard calls out before she leaves. “What are you gonna need the body for?”

She steps for a moment and looks over her shoulder.

“That’s classified.” She says as she pushes the doors open.

As soon as everyone leaves the morgue, the woman stops by the door that overlooks the wide parking lot.

The three soldiers load the stretcher inside the ambulance that is parked nearby then promptly get onboard.

The lady in violet, however, takes a moment to feel the cold and gentle breeze of a European night. She takes a look at the badge that she has shown the guard earlier.

“Pity. I was saving this name for a special occasion. Ah well…” She takes the ID card that comes with the badge and snaps it in half. “Looks like I need to make another one.” She whispers to the lonesome night as she tosses the pieces away - and with it, her identity as Detective Violla Hearnn.

The enigmatic lady in violet pockets the counterfeit badge and boards the ambulance as well. After shutting its rear door, it rolls down the quiet road with its sirens just as silent.

At the present…

Alexia wakes up one morning feeling groggy. The harsh sunlight peers through the window of the makeshift shack that is the Boy’s Dormitory.

“That was…a dream? I thought for sure I saw…” Alexia clutches a half of her face as she tries to recall what she saw in her dream.

All of the sudden, faint bells get her attention. The distant echo of the school bells signifies the start of class.

“Wait, what time is it?!” She quickly grabs the clock beside her.

What she sees petrifies her in fear. 

“Oh no…I’m late!!!” A frantic scream rattles the makeshift dormitory.

Later at Class 1-A’s classroom, the teacher is doing the usual roll call.

“Alex Kenningway?”

No response follows.

The teacher glares at the empty seat at the front row in the middle.

All of the sudden, the door of the classroom slides open.

With a buttered toast clamped into his mouth, Alex catches his breath while slouched at the door frame exhausted after running to his classroom and climbing a set of stairs.

After a moment to get his bearings straight, he stands straight, leans on the door frame and winks at the class.

“Present.” He says with a charismatic wave.

In response, every female student in the room rejoices and squeals in a high pitched scream.

Part 2

Deep in the lower levels of the school…

“Found anything on the footage?” Miss Violet asks one of her analysts.

“It’s as you said, it’s nearly identical. We cross-referenced Call Sign Blood Blade’s fighting techniques with the archived footage of Tsubaki Ishihara, but…”

“Yes. There’s still the problem with their Alter Abilities.” Miss Violet agrees.

“Judging by the sudden change in the material composition, it’s safe to assume that Call Sign Blood Blade works by changing the matter around it. It also explains how it can replicate Mister Katsuo Kiyabu’s Weapons Construct ability. However…”

Miss Violet nods I agreement.

“That doesn’t match what we have on record. Tsubaki Ishihara’s ability is Aerokinesis, manipulation of the winds.”

“You think Call Sign Blood Blade is able to reproduce her ability too?”

“Possibly. Any luck with her voice data?”

“No. It’s too heavily synthesized. Even with her modulator damaged, we can’t work with the data we have.”

A faint recording of Blood Blade’s speech can be heard behind the analyst.

“How about the backup of the device’s contents? Got anything out of that?”

“Yes. I must say, creating a duplicate of the device is a smart plan. Thanks to that, we’re able to find the particular thing you’ve been looking for. It’s only a matter of letting them have the device once we’ve already done with it.”

A devilish grin etches on Miss Violet’s face.

“Flattery like that won’t get you anywhere. Has the military finally cooperated by sending their findings on the body of the sniper they’ve found?”

“Nothing from them yet. Although they did say that they’ll turn them in as soon as they find anything.”

“Maybe I should make sure they uphold their end of the bargain.”

“I sincerely doubt that the same trick will work twice. I mean, fooling their sensors and radars into thinking that an unmanned drone is nearby? That was quite a bluff you’ve pulled, if I may be so bold.”

“Just send the device’s data along with your findings to me. I’ll make sure I’ll put an end to Lance Corp. once and for all.”

The analyst nods in compliance. As the analyst makes preparations to send the file, she can’t help but wonder…

“Headmistress, if you don’t mind me saying, you seem to be fixated on the fact that Miss Tsubaki Ishihara could be callsign Blood Blade. There’s just nothing that could indicate that she would even have the motive to do such a thing. Besides, she’s always had a strong sense of justice and righteousness. There’s no way she could go around killing people.”

“I’m aware of that. No one sticks to the narrow path like she does. But still…” She answers as she crosses her arms. “…I just want to be sure. I don’t want possibly our only recorded Category 5 to actually end up using her powers for evil.”

And with that, Miss Violet cuts the transmission.

Shortly, the analyst’s data has been successfully transferred. Miss Violet sees it and she eyes the one thing she’s been looking for all this time; the sole reason why she keeps the Codec Transmitter under constant guard up to this point:

…an audio file…

Part 3

Meanwhile in Class 1-C’s classroom…

“…and so, it is believed that antimatter produces a tremendous amount of energy. Thankfully, scientists have never produced a significant amount as of yet…”

Despite being a military subsidy that is meant to develop and research on the Alter abilities of young students, it still serves as a high school and offers regular education.

Science, mathematics, history, everything necessary for a regular life outside of the school are being taught in AEGIS as well. The teachers that teach these subjects, although also part of the military, are well versed on these fields.

“Now, it is believed that just 1 gram of antimatter can produce as much energy as a nuclear explosion. As of late, experiments being conducted are only able to produce…”

However, it seems that like all schools, there are some topics that do not catch the students’ interests. Some can be seen dozing off and nodding their heads, while some are just drawing on a sheet of paper.

“Now remember, this is all going to be on the test.”

A collective groan resounds in the room.

As Katsuo takes notes of the lecture and the writings on the chalkboard, he turns his head towards Kanade for a brief moment who is sitting beside him at the back row by the window.

She is daydreaming as she looks at the rolling clouds outside with her cheek resting on her hand. To be more accurate, however, she is reminiscing.

She remembers the incident that has happened just yesterday, on what happened between her and Katsuo. She recalls how it appears that she has pinned Katsuo against a wall and…well the rest of the details are too embarrassing for her to remember.

Nevertheless, just the thought of their lips accidentally pressing against each other is enough to cause her to blush uncontrollably.

Violent sparks whiz around her body at sporadic intervals.

“Uhmmm…Kanade? Are you alright?” Katsuo whispers out of concern.

He tries to tap her shoulder, but is quickly zapped by a sudden electric bolt.

Katsuo reflexively draws his hand back as sly snickering can be heard from Katsuo’s right.

“Why would you even try touching an electrical hazard?” Kagami sarcastically remarks while she slouches backwards with her hands behind her head.

Katsuo gives a sigh.

“Look, it’s just…” Katsuo turns his attention back to Kanade.

“You’re worried about her, aren’t you?” Kagami quickly interjects.

Kagami slowly shakes her head as she leans back even more, and then places her feet on her desk crossed.

“Sometimes I wonder if you’re just as aloof as that over-glorified bug zapper is. With how much she calls you ‘damned idiot’, I thought for sure you two are close.”

“Well yeah, but…”

“But what? Are you, or are you not? If you are, asking her shouldn’t be that hard. People like you are such a pain, you know?”

“It’s not that easy…”

Kagami groans in impatience.

“You know what, I really don’t care. But since you’re my property and you’ve been helping me out a lot, I suppose I have the responsibility to look after your well-being.”

The banter between the two has attracted the attention of the teacher.

A piece of chalk darts towards Kagami. However, the moment it touches her skin, it shoots right back towards the chalkboard and shatters on impact.

“DO YOU MIND, TEACH?!?! We’re talking about something important here! Good grief…”

Suddenly, a chime from the school’s P.A. system catches everyone’s attention.

“Calling the attention of Katsuo Kiyabu, you are needed at the headmistress’ office. Katsuo Kiyabu, proceed to the headmistress’ office, please.”

“What does she want now…?” Katsuo groans in inconvenience.

“Mister Kiyabu, you heard that. Go on; just catch up on what we’ve discussed while we’re gone.”

Reluctantly, Katsuo complies and walks out of the classroom.

As soon as he leaves, Kanade, who is still gazing outside her window, lets out a deep sigh. She seems to have calmed down after her flustering thought.

“…damned idiot…”

Part 4

Meanwhile in a hospital room, a patient is handed her daily meal. The nurse that cares for Toshiko Sakawa places the tray of food on her lap.

However, since she’s under hospital arrest, it’s nothing but the bare essentials: bland oatmeal, a ripe banana on the side, and a plastic cup full of water.

“Will you need help eating?” The nurse asks out of courtesy.

“No. I’m only paralyzed from the waist down, you know.” She lightheartedly comments on the side.

“Well, if you need anything at all, don’t hesitate to call.” The nurse stands up from the chair beside her and leaves her room.

As soon as the nurse closes the door behind her, Toshiko grabs a good helping of her meal.

She takes the food inches from her mouth, however, she suddenly stops.

The phone connected to her bed starts to give regular beeps. Normally this would be a private line; granted Toshiko's situation, all forms of contact are being monitored. That include every call she gets.

She places the food down and picks up the phone.

“Enjoying your late breakfast? You always were the rather eccentric type, Miss Sakawa. No wonder you preferred working at the library. But nevertheless, I’m glad to hear you’re doing fine.”

A devilish grin is plastered on Toshiko’s face.

“Well if it isn’t the self-righteous headmistress. What’s wrong, gone softer than usual lately?”

A conniving chuckle is then heard from the other line.

“Ah yes, so glad to hear you’re doing fine too…Arsenal.” Miss Violet greets the other voice that uses Toshiko’s.

“So…you can tell us apart.”

“There have been numerous studies on the possibility of Alters gaining an active consciousness. After all, as human hallucinations given form, they need to inherit some parts of our psyche. Of course, it’s so rare that some even doubt the possibility of it.”

Toshiko clutches at the blanket on her lap, but not out of anger, but fear.

“I knew it…I knew this power has brought me nothing but burden.” Toshika herself says in a quivering voice.

“It is difficult for your mind to adjust to the sudden surge of power. Your Alter cannot project itself like a regular Alter would, so it does so through you. That’s why you use those pills.”

“I didn’t want power. I just want to at least have a normal life. I want this voice in my head to stop!”

“And we can, but we just need you to let us.”

Miss Violet’s plea is immediately scoffed at with a click of Toshiko's tongue.

“Oh please. Do you honestly believe you’re doing this out of charity? Why don’t you tell us what you really came here for.” Arsenal barks using Toshiko’s voice.

“Just dropped by to check on you…”

“After what you have done to me? I’m better off dead.”

“I was being merciful. Even I have to draw the line somewhere…unlike you. Seriously, luring him by staging a fake confession? That’s just downright cruel. You can’t go around tricking people into thinking you have feelings for them.”

“I did what I have to do…”

Miss Violet gives a deep sigh.

“You told us before that you never cared for Blood Blade’s motives.”

“That’s what you’re calling that guy? Talk about lame.” Toshiko snidely remarks.

“That’s beside the point. I’d like to get back on subject.”

Toshiko gives off a chuckle. “You expect me to talk?”

“You can. I have a proposition for you both: Miss Sakawa, Arsenal.”

“Not interested.” Toshiko hastily answers as he takes a spoon of her oatmeal.

“Are you sure? Didn’t you make a deal with Blood Blade to bring back the doctors who were charged to cure your condition?”

Toshiko drops the spoon she is holding in one hand.

“I never told anyone that.”

“No one did. I figured it out. But judging by your reaction, it has to be the truth.”

“If you think your school can provide me the help I need, you’re sorely mistaken.”

“You seriously doubt what we are capable of? Even after seeing it with your own eyes.”

Toshiko taps her fingers on the plastic tray on her lap.

“Let’s just say that you can. I’m sure there is something you want in return.” Toshiko brings up.

An impish chuckle can be heard from the phone.

“Oh my, you really do know me. Yes, what I do offer isn’t for free.” Miss Violet stands up from her swivel chair and faces the large windows behind her. “I want to know everything you have on Blood Blade.”

“Ahahaha. Do you think it would even be that simple?”

“I’ll even cut off some time from your arrest sentence.”

“Even if I do tell you everything I know, I doubt it would be of any help. That guy’s so engrossed with keeping a lot of things to itself. It doesn’t even have a name, or at least one that it tells us.”

A brief silence follows. It seems like Miss Violet has hit a dead end, so she tries another route.

“You know very well that AEGIS has taken over Lance Corp.’s assets following their foreclosure. What they can do, we can too, except better.”

“If you’ve lived all your life with a condition just like mine, you wouldn’t trust any other doctor. You want me to go back to spend more years to look for someone who can cure me? That’s not gonna happen.”

Miss Violet gives a deep sigh in response to Toshiko's comment.

“It’s not yet too late for you, Miss Sakawa. I can offer you a fresh start; a new lease on life.”

“I bet you tell that to every sucker you try to scam, but not me.”

“I have complete faith in what you can do. I won’t pretend knowing that it’s hard living your entire life being born with a nerve condition like yours. What I will tell you however is that you have a chance too good to pass up. Just help us put an end to all of this.”

Just for a brief moment, Toshiko recalls a memory three years ago. Before she is transferred to A.E.G.I.S.. 

She is shown a glimpse of who she once was: a pathetic weak bed-ridden girl who is connected to an array of medical equipment much she is now.

A tear crawls out of her eye which she can’t even wipe on her own.

The regular beeps of the machinery are the only accompaniment in the solidarity of the sterile room.

She sees someone with their face covered in shadow stand by the door to her room.

She has never seen seen this person before, but she is certain that whoever they are, their visit wasn’t out of concern.

As this person has reached out to her with a nearly identical offer. One that she is currently regretting to ever be involved in.

Toshiko quickly shakes that feeling off, returning her to the present.

“What assurance do you have that you can do something about it?”

“You’ve seen first-hand the medical technology that we possess.  Anyway, I see that you’re interested. Tell you what; I know you’re still reluctant to cooperate, so I’ll let you think it over. I’ll call again after some time. I’m looking forward to your decision.”

And just as quickly as it came, the call ends.

Toshiko bows her head. Once again, she is alone.

She remembers the time when she was still a young child.

A girl born with a nerve condition affecting her spinal cord is confined in a hospital.

The connection between nerves is so frail that she can’t move her body.

Years of treatment has brought back control of her upper body. 

This is all thanks to the ambitious doctors of Lance Corporations.

Then came the fateful day six years ago…

Lance Corp. has filed for bankruptcy and the medical research about Toshiko’s condition has been terminated. The procedure to cure her of her ailment has come to the possession of the military.

Ever since, she has refused aid from them. She’d rather live the rest of her life unable to walk rather than trust her well-being to people she’s uncertain could even help.

Toshiko leans back to lie down on her bed. She turns herhead to the side and finds herself continuing to recall the memory she is thinking about earlier.

Three years ago, Toshiko Sakawa has received a visitor.

A person that appears like any regular person shows up in her hospital room.

Their face is hidden in shadow and their voice is digitally distorted by a helmet around their head.

She remembers the words this person has told her.

She is offered the world, much like now, but she’s not interested with a reluctant shake of her head.

That’s when the visitor realizes that Toshiko's wishes are something much simpler: bringing things back to the way things were.

All she needs to do is to infiltrate a school to steal something that will lead them to the location of the greatest threat to the world’s peace. And in return, this person can bring back the people capable of curing her.

Toshiko stares at the food that is going cold on her lap.

(“…you have a chance for a fresh start…”)

“I’ve had it with promises that don’t pull through.” She whispers to herself.

(“Just help us put an end to all of this chaos.”)

“I never wanted the world. Something that grand doesn’t interest me. All I really want is to live.”

Toshiko gazes out the window of her room. The gentle breeze flutters the pure white curtains. Fleeting clouds roll by across the azure sky.

Everyone talks of redemption. Everyone talks about changing the world.

"Good, bad, justice, evil…none of that matters. The world can wallow on its turmoil for all I care. But still…”

She remembers the one other turning point of her life; the very day that has placed her in this particular state in the first place.

She remembers the eyes - the frightened eyes - of a person she has been told to kill.

She is just a few inches from having someone’s blood on her hands.

The thought that there are countless others who have such a trembling frightening expression overshadows her apathy.

Though just for a brief moment, the idea has sprung itself.  

“The world? Who needs that…”

With a wince, she suddenly clutches her head. As though she is having a headache, she clenches her teeth as she tries to fight something.

It’s the voice that has given her such apathy.

“No…you’re wrong…”

Part 5

“…I’ll call again after some time. I’m looking forward to your decision.” After uttering these words, Miss Violet presses a button on her intercom to hang up the call.

At that moment, a knock sounds through the two doors of the office. It opens and Katsuo pears his head inside.

“Katsuo. Please, come on in.” Miss Violet invites him in an unusually colder voice.

Katsuo knows something is up. Usually she’s a bit more playful and sometimes a bit condescending at times.

Cold sweat covers Katsuo the moment he steps into the dimly lit office.

The air is filled with an unnatural chill as the back of the mysterious lady who nobody has a firm grasp on who she really is greats him. A sense of trembling dread and fear chokes into Katsuo’s soul.

This time is different from the others. Although, it is still a familiar sight to him.

“You don’t usually act like this. I think someone has finally bested you at your own game.” Katsuo tries to cleverly retort back, but is met with a cold response.

Miss Violet starts pacing towards the front of her desk.

“Katsuo dear…you know for a fact that I value information more than anything. It’s a source of power and a formidable weapon at the same time. My years in the military have taught me to harness this technique.”

“Where are you going with this?” He asks confused.

Miss Violet leans backwards on her desk, sitting barely at its edge with her hands placed on its edges to support her from behind.

“You’re not telling me everything.”

Katsuo’s face contorts to complete confusion.

“…what?!”

“Don’t give me that look. I know what really happened that fateful day five years ago. You laid waste to all those who pillaged the village that day.”

Katsuo gets lost in the maze of words that tangle around him.

“I told you everything I know. I’ve spent four years of my life under your custody. There’s nothing that I—“

A beep is heard from the computer terminal on Miss Violet’s desk. From it, a recording plays.

Crackling fire can be heard through a weak buzzing of static.

“Command, we have the target surrounded! We have a squad moving in to eliminate.”

“Good. We don’t have much time. The time table is accelerated enough as it is.”

“I almost feel sorry for these people. Is killing all of them really necessary?”

“We can’t take any chances. Every person there is hostile. We don’t have much time. Brynhildr may wake up any minute. Be absolutely certain that nobody in this village survives.”

All of a sudden, the sound of splintering wood and ember shakes and rattle whatever has recorder what they are hearing.

“What’s going on?”

“The house the target was hiding just exploded. We have confirmed visual on the target…oh no…”

“What is it? Speak up!!”

“Team Phoebos is down. I repeat, Team Phoebos is down.”

“Casualties?”

“…everyone.” The person reported in a frightened trembling voice.

No words follow. Weak white noise and the blazing inferno are all that can be heard.

“Let’s finish what we started. Eliminate the target.”

“Copy that, Command. Team Deimos, open fire!”

Rapid gunshots litter the air. However, just as many ricochets echo away from a far off distance.

“It’s no use! Something shot out of the ground. Wait…target is being carried by something. Good God, what is th—!!!”

The last sound heard from that person is a terrified scream.

Then dull rumble, followed by a violent pressure, shakes the ground below.

What comes after…is silence.

The recording ends, then Katsuo stands with his pupils quivering.

“Th…that’s…” He tries to rationalize what he has heard.

The sounds, the voices, they are all indeed from the time he has lost his home five years ago.

No matter how he denies it, at the back of his mind, it tells him otherwise.

“You know that tablet computer that was stolen? The one piece of evidence that Deathwish tried to steal? The military calls it the Codec Transmitter. It doubles as a communication device apart from being an access terminal to Lance Corp.'s proprietary servers. Of course, there isn’t just one ever made. The one we’ve been keeping, however, is special because it was used during the attack in your village.” Miss Violet taunts him.

“Are you suggesting that I lied to you?”

“I’m saying that you know more than what you let on. They’ve seen you. They were attacked by someone.” Miss Violet scolds Katsuo.

“They’re looking for someone, right? Someone they call Brynhildr, or something. Judging by the damage maybe that’s—“

“An Alter?! Don’t be absurd. Alters don’t work that way. A Category 0’s perception simply isn’t able to match anyone from higher categories. They can't see an Alter's physical form, let alone. You have an Alter, alright. But it hasn't reached the point that it can manifest itself. Unless, of course…”

Katsuo’s hands start shaking uncontrollably.

“What benefit could I gain by lying to you about what happened.”

“Immunity, protection, a chance to improve your catastrophic abilities, just to name a few. But I’m the one who’s supposed to be asking the questions around here. So if what you're saying is true and what has happened in the recording wasn't your doing, then I need you to tell me…who’s Brynhildr?”

Fear starts to turn into frustration. Using his left hand, he grabs his quivering right wrist. He clenches his teeth as he tries to fight back at Miss Violet’s hostility.

“I already told you everything I know! I saw an angel or…whatever that was. It saved me from that fire, and the next thing I know, I woke up one morning in the middle of a forest.”

“Then show me!”

The anger reverts back to confusion. In just a snap, the will to fight has vanished. The strength Katsuo has had a few moments ago has fizzles away in a blink of an eye.

“…what?”

“Show me this angel that saved you that night. If you can’t, then suspicion of your involvement won’t be cleared.”

Katsuo is now defenseless. He bows his head down and looks at his shaking hands. He’s only, as far as he knows, classified as a Category 2: someone with Alter abilities, but can’t call out an Alter.

He gives no answer. He doesn’t make any further action.

Knowing that her interrogation has yielded no results, Miss Violet admits defeat. She stands up straight and folds her arms.

“I’ve been treating you like a student, like a regular person, all this time because I still at least value you as a human being. I do my best to keep you safe while making a pleasant hospitable environment for you. However, I expect you to not betray that trust. Because the moment you do, and it turns out that you are at risk of putting countless people in danger…” Glaring eyes start to stab and skewer their way deep within Katsuo’s heart. “…I’d have no choice but to put you under lock and key.”

The air grows heavier and colder. An unnatural pressure bears down on Katsuo.

The conniving manipulating mistress of deceit and deception is on her last straws. By her presence alone, she sends shivers down anyone who hears her powerful yet seductive words.

At her best, she is a playful imp; at her worst…the devil.

Katsuo is given no choice but to nod in agreement.

“Good. Now get out.” She coldly casts him away as she flicks her head to the side.

Without another word, he leaves the barely-lit office and quietly and meekly closes the door after.

Once outside, Katsuo leans on the heavy wood door and slides down to sit on the cold stone floor. He turns his head up and reaches for the ceiling with one hand.

His heart is filled not with anger, or despair, not even fear. It’s not confusion either. In fact, everything is much clearer now than before.

With a clench from his outstretched hand, he has come to terms with the emotion on his heart: determination.

“Alright!” Katsuo leaps in pride. “All I have to do is work hard to get stronger. After all, I’ll have to start pulling my own weight eventually.”

His eyes are ablaze with confidence. He clenches his fist and stands with his chest out.

“This is gonna be easier than I thought!” He exclaims in pure optimism.

Part 6

“This is gonna be harder than I thought!” He exclaims in pure pessimism.

After school at the outdoor courtyard, Katsuo is covered in patches and bruises. He walks the stone-laid path with his back slouched and shoulders dropped.

Numerous students look at him shocked at his impossibly countless injuries.

Earlier…

Katsuo tries to look for the Seniors to ask Natalia to help him spar. He searches the underground training complex, their classrooms. However, no trace of them could be found.

“Miss Lenhoff? Oh, everyone from Senior year is working on joint practices after school. She won’t be available for the time being.” Miss Rin informs him.

Then, Katsuo looks for Henrietta to try and ask her to help practice.

He arrives to the part of the campus where the Juniors’ classrooms are located, then suddenly…

“STOP RIGHT THERE!!!” Shakaku Himura ambushes him from a corner.

“Woah! Easy there. I don’t want any trouble.” Katsuo slowly backs away with his hands partly up.

“You know this area is off limits to freshmen, you lecher.”

“You guys keep calling me that, but I—” As Katsuo continues to step back, he accidentally hits someone.

He stops in his tracks when he starts to hear the sound of an angry dog growling.

He looks over his shoulder to find Amaya Kirigaya crossing her arms and showing her sharp canine fangs.

“Enough excuses! You’re trying to seduce my darling Henrietta again, aren’t you?!” Shakaku accuses him.

“How many times do I have to tell you, I’m not the one making the advances!!”

“Oh, so suddenly the boss is too good for you now, is she?!” Amaya hisses.

“That’s not—!!“

“Arrest the blasphemer!!!” Shakaku engulfs her body in fire and attacks Katsuo.

The school is suddenly filled with Katsuo’s horrific scream of agony as Amaya and Shakaku charge in to apprehend him.

Meanwhile, in another part of the school, a distant muffled scream catches Henrietta’s attention.

“What’s wrong?” Erica Crosse turns to her.

“I…think I just heard something.”

“Probably just the wind. Come on, let’s resume our patrol.”

“I don’t know…something doesn’t feel right.”

“It’ll be fine.” Erica Crosse grabs a hold of Henrietta’s hand and pulls her along. “…besides, I’m sure the others are already handling it.”

“Hey wai—!!”

As they run along, Erica bows her head to hide a cheery smile.

(“Finally, some time alone with my sweet Henrietta! This battle for her heart is mine, Katsuo Kiyabu!!”)

And so, with no one to work with, he tries to do the training simulations himself.

“Geez…that has got to be police brutality…” He complains under his breath as he scratches on the white burn patch on his cheek.

After his encounter with the Disciplinary Committee, he could have sworn that he has suffered second-degree burns in some places and a new bite mark on his right calf.

Katsuo stands in the middle of a white room illuminated by white fluorescent lights between the tiles on the walls, ceiling, and floor. His right leg is on a limp thanks to Amaya sinking her sharp canine teeth into his calf.

“Are you sure about this?” Miss Rin asks over the intercom.

“Won’t know unless I try. Now please, Miss Rin, set it to the highest difficulty.”

The physical education instructor reluctantly complies.

As the room loads the environment, he forms a broadsword using his abilities. The enemies spawn from a glow of light. As they multiply in number, the color on his face starts to disappear gradually for every single one that shows up.

Eventually, he finds himself facing against a gigantic dragon that is more than a hundred times his size. The enormous monster has hundreds of heads, each with scales of different colors.

Katsuo gulps upon realizing what he has gotten himself into.

“I forgot…this is one of the advanced simulation rooms…”

Katsuo is beaten senselessly to the degree that it can’t be shown out of concern for those with a queasy stomach.

As a matter of fact, Miss Rin winces and shudders every time the huge beast would beat him to an indescribable pulp.

Katsuo’s frantic screaming fills the room as the hardened instructor can’t bear watching her student be beaten up so badly. Every bone-crushing impact is accompanied by Katsuo’s squeal which makes Miss Rin shudder and wince with every hit.

And so, this brings us to the badly-shaped Katsuo walking the paved pathway of the school’s exterior back to the dorm room.

Luckily, his enhanced constitution from possessing an Alter Ability lets him survive the entire ordeal.

“Man, you’re in a rough shape.” A voice calls towards Katsuo.

He turns his head towards where it is coming from, the top of one of the trees that line the side of the path. He sees Kanade sitting on a branch and leaning against the thick trunk.

“Hey! Get down from there. It’s dangerous!”

“Please, you’re not the first one to tell me that.” Kanade responds by scoffing to the side. “So, what happened? I bet it’s rich!”

Katsuo blushes in embarrassment.

“Y-you don’t wanna know.” He bashfully answers while scratching his cheek.

Kanade gives a shrug and dangles off the branch by her arms.

After burning off most of her momentum, she lets go and transitions her fall into a roll the moment she hits the ground.

Katsuo reflectively steps back to prevent any…"accidents"…from happening again.

Kanade stumbles and skips to maintain her balance from the dismount. She flails her arms as her center of gravity shifts erratically.

Eventually, both her feet are planted firmly to the ground. Once the shifting of her weight stops, she breathes a sigh of relief, along with Katsuo.

“Well I guess there’s no helping it then.” Kanade places a hand on her waist and thrusts an index finger an inch from Katsuo’s face; causing him to stagger back. “From now on, I’ll be the one to whip you into shape!!”

Katsuo looks at her confused, then gives off a quick snicker. He tries to cover it with his hand, but it’s so quick that it just slips right off of his mouth.

“Hey don’t laugh!! I can go toe-to-toe with anyone in this school!” Kanade starts to flare up.

“No, it’s just that…” Katsuo wipes the tear dripping from his eye caused by his brief laughter. “…I never expected you to even care so much.”

Kanade crosses her arms and gives a huff.

“W-well…I’m not doing it for you or anything. So don’t get the wrong idea, you hear?!”

“Okay, sure. If you say so.” Katsuo says with a sly smile.

Out of embarrassment, Kanade gives off a huge electric bolt that jumps straight towards Katsuo. His body starts to violently spasm and rattle as thousands of volts flow through his body.

“WHAT IS THAT DUMB LOOK ON YOUR FACE SUPPOSE TO MEAN?!?!?!?!” Kanade demands as she continues to shock Katsuo.

However, none of them notices a stray bolt arcing towards the branch overhead, weakening its link off the tree.

The electric energy Kanade gives off slowly subsides. After calming down a bit by taking slow breaths, the electrical discharge eventually dissipates.

Faint sparks still arc across Katsuo’s body. His already spiky hair stands and spikes up even more.

Kanade grabs Katsuo’s limp and singed body by the collar and slams him by the tree.

Upon impact, Katsuo grunts in pain. He tries to stand up, but Kanade pins him to the large tree with a slam of her palm.

This knocks the branch that has been zapped earlier even looser.

“How about now? Feel any stronger yet? Hurting yourself is no way to get power. If you don’t want my help, fine. The least you could do is drop the attitude.”

Katsuo comes to a realization. He looks into her eyes – damp and lonely. He quickly realizes his mistake as his heart sinks into guilt.

Katsuo looks down and away as he squeezes his wide body within Kanade’s lock on him.

“I’m…I’m sorry. You’re only trying to help. I shouldn’t have been so harsh to you just now.” He humbly apologizes.

Kanade closes her eyes and shakes her head.

“You damned idiot…” She says under her breath with a faint smile.

Katsuo smiles back as they finally reach an agreement. He remembers what Kanade has said before…

(“How am I supposed to get stronger if I can’t even win a fight on my own?!?!”)

He remembers someone’s quest to be stronger. This very girl in front of him has been trying all her life to one day become strong enough to at least be worthy of being in the presence of someone not only she, but the entire school respects.

(“Of course…how could I forget. I’m sorry I never thought of helping you when you need it. Let’s work to meet our goals…together…”)

And then, all of a sudden, Katsuo notices a tiny glowing ember gently glide and float behind Kanade.

He turns his head up and sees a branch that has been burnt at the point where it meets the tree’s trunk, the very branch that both of them are directly under.

He sees it jostle as it barely holds its weight with a loud crack.

“Kanade!! Look out!!!”

Katsuo stoops down and tackles Kanade out of the way. Crumbling and snapping can be heard as the branch can no longer hold and starts falling down.

He bears down his weight along with Kanade’s, using his right foot to support both of them after the fall.

However, the pain from the bite wound on his calf stings him as it surges and consumes his entire leg.

“Dammit!” He grimaces from the pain.

The pain forces his knees to cave under. This destabilizes their weight; causing them to tumble.

The two of them roll across the stone path grunting and wincing along the way.

The falling rustling branch catches the attention of an onlooking crowd. Gasps and murmurs fill the pathways about the two people who are, just a moment ago, in complete peril.

“Owww…geez, you don’t have to be so sudden, you kno—” Kanade tries to push herself up to the point she’s on all fours.

However, Katsuo gives a brief cough that interrupts her as he bends his knees upward.

“Huh? Is something wrong? Where does it hurt?”

“No…it’s just that…” Katsuo tries to answer, but every injury he has received the entire day starts to take a toll on him.

The chatter that surrounds them grows even louder. The tone starts to shift from concerned to accusing.

Kanade looks around and sees malicious eyes as they seemingly talk about them.

She looks down towards Katsuo again and finally puts the pieces together.

“N-NO WAIT!!! IT’S NOT WHA--!!” Kanade reflexively tries to stand up.

However, she loses her balance and sits on Katsuo’s hips instead.

The air in his stomach violently rushes out with a loud grunt.

Flustered, Kanade looks around to try and calm down the crowd as she has unconsciously made everything look worse. She shakes her head and waves her arms to try and calm the crowd down.

To her relief, they eventually do, and everyone starts to quiet down and leave.

(“Oh, thank goodness. I thought I’d never get everyone to calm down.”) She places a hand on her chest and breathes a sigh of relief.

She looks to the crowd again, however, nothing adds up. They are all fleeing in fear instead of disinterest. Some terrified screaming mixes in with the stampede of the crowd.

A confused look fades in on Kanade’s face.

(“What’s going on?”) She thinks to herself.

And then, intense heat and violent vibrations in the air start to engulf her. A looming presence gradually makes itself known. Like a towering giant, thundering footsteps fall one after another.

Thud…thud…thud…

Kanade slowly turns her head to the sound that is shaking the ground below. Her hairs stand on end as she starts to scream internally.

“Well, well, well. You really like taking other people’s things, do you? You have a lot of guts for a pathetic third-string!” Kagami threatens in her growling voice.

“I DON’T EVEN BELONG TO YOU TO BEGIN WITH!!!” Katsuo snaps back in distress.

Kagami walks menacingly towards Kanade with her eyes shaded out. To make matters worse, she is not alone.

“Miss Ishihara, I understand that a girl your age tend to have sudden…urges. But things like these need to be done in the proper place in the proper time with the proper people.” Natalia lectures like a disappointed parent.

“Would you two just calm down for a bit! This is a misunderstanding!!” Kanade frantically waves at the angry Kagami as nervous sweat drops leap out of her forehead.

“Ghehahaha!! Oh, you’ll get a chance to explain yourself, third-string…after your punishment!!”

“No wait!!!” Katsuo tries to stop the deranged Kagami.

Kagami stomps a foot to the stone road and a wave of rubble start to ripple away from her. Kanade, along with Katsuo, is engulfed like a devastating tidal wave as their panicked screams fill the open space.

Meanwhile, without their knowledge, peering eyes gaze upon them.

Miss Violet stands in her barely lit office gazing down on the courtyard below.

She stands straight with her hands behind her back and her chest stretched out. The view from her wide glass windows provides a clear picture of the mayhem below.

However, the glare from the setting sun hides her face from view. Anything above is still cast in heavy shadow.

“Was it alright to be so rough on him? With all due respect, he was always being treated like he was your child.” Henrietta, who is standing straight in attention, asks out of curiosity.

Miss Violet responds by looking at her over her shoulder.

“I suppose you could say that. Though even if he is my child, I’d still treat him no differently than any other student.”

She continues to look at the mess left at the courtyard below.

Katsuo is seen trying to straight things out with the girls, though rather angrily as seen by his expression.

“And besides,” Miss Violet adds “I think Katsuo needs a little push on the right direction. He has grown rather complacent since coming here. I think warning him of the consequences is fair enough. Don’t you agree?” She asks turning towards the reflection of her computer terminal still showing the audio file she played for Katsuo earlier.

Henrietta nods her head in agreement.

She sees Miss Violet’s lips, just her lips, curl into a grin through the window’s faint reflection of her.

“I’m glad we finally got that out of the way. Now, if that’s all you’ll be asking, let’s call it a day. You’re dismissed.”

And on command, Henrietta stands straight and clicks her heels together. She sharply turns around and walks straight out of the door.

Once Miss Violet is alone, she sits back down on her large swivel chair.

She looks at the sheet of paper Henrietta has left on her desk. It’s a mock-up of the data sheet the Disciplinary Committee uses to profile every student of A.E.G.I.S.. The information it holds is all about Alexia Kingsley.

After reading it, Miss Violet pinches the top part of the document using both hands, and rips it in two.

“I don’t think it’s time to spoil the surprise to everyone just yet. This is what she wants, anyway.” She whispers as she tosses the pieces of paper into the air and lets them gently float down to the carpeted floor.

A small light flashes on the intercom placed on her desk.

She hits a few keys on her terminal to encrypt the connection, then the call is automatically answered.

“I actually never thought that I’d be hearing from you again.” She says in a mockingly playful tone.

“We uhh…couldn’t take the chance.” The voice on the other end of the line, which belongs to the officer who is supposed to cover for them the other day, replies.

“So tell me, what did you find?”

“You wouldn’t like it. We confirmed the cause of death of one of the snipers. It really is caused by cyanide poisoning. However, that’s not all that we have found…”

Miss Violet leans back on her chair and presses her fingertips together. She listens in with complete interest.

“We also found that one of the snipers’ molars is missing. And in its place is a broken plastic capsule. This may be how the cyanide was administered.”

“Rather old-fashioned way to avoid capture…” Miss Violet comments.

“That’s just part of it. There are burn marks caused by a chemical wash on their wrists. We were able to reconstruct the tattoo and it reveals to be a serial tag used by Taskforce Mars.”

“I’ve heard of them. They’re the mercenary team gone rogue. Weren’t they used to be overseen by Chariotte Enterprise?”

“That’s the thing; they used to be overseen by them. In fact, they’re contracted to work as a PMC for none other than the ghost you’ve been chasing.”

Miss Violet grinds her teeth in anger.

“Lance Corp. Yes, I’m aware.” She whispers to herself.

“That would explain why they even have the skills to level the military installation where Call Sign Inverter was being held. Their skills are the best in the business, and they used to fetch for high prices before they went AWOL during the collapse of Lance Corp. Besides, I’ve heard that Chariotte Enterprise has been doing upgrades lately. Something about—“

“That would be all. It’s been a pleasure to do business with you.” Miss Violet interrupts.

“So, we’re free now, right? You won’t rat as out to the higher ups?” The officer asks in a frightened voice.

“Of course I won’t. I told you, didn’t I? I’m a woman of my word.”

And so, Miss Violet presses a button to end the transmission.

Silence fills the dim office once again. Amber sunlight flows in through the wide windows behind Miss Violet.

She leans forward and rests her elbows on the surface of her desk. She clasps her fingers between each other and covers her mouth with both her hands.

“The emissaries of the god of war…fallen from grace into mere lap dogs and now as scavengers. You really like picking up trash, Blood Blade. But I suppose that just makes us the opposite sides of the same spectrum…”

Miss Violet accesses her computer terminal and views the details of how a particular warehouse by the harbor has mysteriously exploded.

“Well, I’m sure it’s not so wrong to reminisce, even for a bit…” Miss Violet says to herself with a malicious grin.

Part 7

Four years ago is a time difficult to forget.

It’s a cold windy night as the sea breeze blows along a harbor. Steel containers tacked on top of each other form a maze on the gravel road below. Countless cranes litter the landscape towering over the metal corridors.

Inside a helicopter that is making a descent to this very port, a man looks at a photo of his family. He is shown cradling a baby girl who has just been born.

With a smile on his face illuminated by the full moon, he looks at the last time he has set eyes on his daughter.

“Professor Kingsley!” One of the hired guns from Taskforce Mars calls out. “It’s almost time.”

“Yeah…” The renowned scientist Harvey Kingsley pockets the photograph in his breast pocket while grabbing a hold of a steel briefcase.

At the same time, a small white yacht casts anchor at the harbor. The rattling of its chains fills the once quiet coastline.

Professor Kingsley, along with two of the Taskforce Mars mercenaries, disembarks from the helicopter. Their feet kick around the small stray pebbles that litter the wooden wharf.

Upon arrival, a man with black hair combed to his back and wearing a suit and tie approaches them. He subtly adjusts his glasses as he walks with another group of mercenaries in similar uniform.

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Professor Harvey Kingsley.” The man extends a hand for a shake.

“Thanks. And you are?” Professor Kingsley responds with a firm grip

“Who I am is not important. Come with me. We will discuss the matter of the negotiation in a lot more secure place.”

The man leads him down the asphalt road that goes through the graveled ground. The two are surrounded by the hired guns that they each have arrived with.

However, they don’t know that they are being spotted from a distance.

Atop the boom of one of the towering cranes, a figure cloaked in spotted rags is kneeling down to survey the area. A hood and mask conceals its face, but long black hair peeks from its seams.

It is the hero only known in legends, the mythical Gilded Saber.

From the height it is in, the cold salty winds flow stronger. They whisper to its ears as it flutters the rags that cover its body.

Shortly, a similar figure leaps on the same crane Gilded Saber is on.

“Katsuo!”

Upon hearing its real name, the figure stands up and looks at its almost identical image.

“Master!”

“I told you. You’re not yet ready to take on this patrol by yourself.”

The two Gilded Sabers, one more experienced than the other, stand on the steel beam away from the gathering below.

“You’ve seen what I can do. I was able to take down a few nameless thugs on my own.”

“Even if you were able to save her, you narrowly avoided being killed.”

Katsuo brings up the event not long ago, he rescued a lone girl from three rowdy thugs that are threatening her.  

Katsuo clenches his hand in anger.

“You always told me that the world is worth fighting for. You saw something good in me, and trusted me with this mantle. You said that I can make a difference.”

“And you will, but only when the time is right. Your impatience will only cause more harm than good.”

“And how bad would the damage be by then? As we stand here waiting, people suffer.”

The master and the student gaze through each other’s eyes. The burden of keeping safe countless lives is reflected on what little is shown from his face.

“I’ll make them pay for destroying my world…so that no one else will have theirs destroyed as well.”

Katsuo leans to his side and falls off the crane’s boom.

As he plummets, he grabs a hold of the cable that is supporting the hoist below. He spins himself around the cable, breaking his momentum.

He uses what little is left to dangle himself in the air, and silently drop on top of the shipping containers stacked on the gravel road. Katsuo lands with one knee and hand on the ground with his other hand swept to his back.

He creeps along the walls created by the containers towards the direction of the warehouses where the armed men has escorted the two VIPs.

Once he reaches the end of the stack, he leaps and grabs a hold of the window sill leading to the inside of the warehouse where everyone has gone into.

Upon grabbing hold of the ledge, small pieces of rock are knocked to the ground below.

“Huh?” One of the mercenaries inside turns its head towards the window high above the grid of steel beams.

Small dings on the sturdy metal have stolen its attention for a moment. Katsuo keeps steady to prevent any more attention drawn towards him.

“Probably just the wind…” The guard eventually shrugs it off.

Katsuo pulls himself over the ledge and slowly steps on the thick girders above the metal catwalk. With light steps, he sneaks towards the middle of the gathering below, illuminated by the bright moon.

“I still don’t approve of your methods for bringing her in.” Professor Kingsley comments on a particular matter.

“Whatever works, right? It’s sad that some had to die to get to the Alter we want, but what matters is that our initial data is good.”

“You based it off a hunch?! What if you were in the wrong place the entire time?!”

“No one would miss them anyway. They’re all just pitiful little alley dwellers. Getting rid of them is the least we could do.”

“What about the men you carelessly sent in? The ones you had do the initial killing in the first place?” Professor Kingsley starts raising his voice.

“Oh those? Insignificant pawns. Chariotte Enterprise will gladly lend us more if any part of their so proud Taskforce Mars dies in duty. After all, they’re under contract with us. You can’t make a house without breaking a few bricks.”

“Why you--!!”

Professor Kingsley is about to charge towards the man in the suit in front of him, however, he stops in his tracks the moment the mercenaries around them rattle their guns to point at him.

“Uh uh uh, professor. Remember that as the representative of Lance Corp., they are contractually obligated to protect me. I hate to have to kill you. After all, your talents have helped us in making Inverter the strongest Category 4 on record.”

“Category 4? The only reason I let you push through with such a ridiculous plan is because you promised you can make her a Category 5!”

“Progress is progress. We’ll get there eventually.” The man pushes his glasses up with a sigh.

Meanwhile, Katsuo continues to survey the area. He spots two mercenaries loading a stack of money on a palette for a forklift to deliver.

As one of them is about to climb on board, Katsuo jumps from above the rafters and lands on the mercenary; knocking it out.

“What the--!!”

Before it can warn everybody from the darkness, Katsuo quickly draws his golden sword from thin air. He then uses the blunt side to knock out the mercenary in one flawless motion.

As Katsuo continues to decrease the number of patrolling guards, the discussion between the bespectacled man and Professor Kingsley continues.

“But enough talking about such petty matters; did you bring what we ask for?” The man asks as he brushes his hair to the back some more.

Professor Kingsley holds the briefcase up to his chest and opens it in a way that presents its contents.

“Yes. This medicine should help the company with its research.”

What’s inside is a plastic bag stuffed full of white pills.

The man walks forward and reaches towards it. But before he can reach it, Professor Kingsley swiftly snaps the briefcase shut.

“The money.”

The man in the suit can’t help but chuckle.

“Of course.” It says as he snaps his fingers.

However, nothing happens.

The man with glasses looks at one of the mercenaries on standby and flicks its head to the side.

The mercenary signals for one of its team members to come along. They both walk into the darkness with their rifles pointing forward.

They sweep left and right through every corner to find out what’s going on. A beam of light flashlight attached to the front below the barrel of their guns light a narrow section in front of their vision.

A weak grunt from behind grabs the attention of the one leading them.

It turns around to find that the one covering its back has disappeared.

It also sees a white spotted rag fluttering off into the corner.

The mercenary turns towards it, but finds nothing but a staircase leading down to the basement.

The mercenary is about to climb down the set of stairs. Just then, a dull impact lands at the back of one of its knee; bringing him down backwards.

With its back to the ground, Katsuo knocks it cold by slamming the butt of the rifle he has stolen from the other mercenary he has knocked out.

“What’s going on?! Someone turn on the lights!!” Someone shouts from the darkness.

Another mercenary runs towards a fuse box, but only to find it sparking from the wires that have been slashed right above it.

Alarmed, it turns around and finds a person wrapped in rags charging right at it.

The mercenary fires a couple of bursts towards Katsuo. Due to the panic, all of them miss. 

Katsuo flutters his shroud to disorient its aim further, then shoots his knee right towards the mercenary’s stomach.

Its thick bulletproof suit catches the impact, but it still brings it to a crouch.

With its head low enough, Katsuo swings a roundhouse kick towards the mercenary across the jaw; knocking it out.

Three more remain, and they are all protecting the VIPs at the middle of the warehouse.

They surround the two as they sweep their guns left and right looking for whoever - or whatever - is taking out their forces. They pay particular close attention to where moonlight is entering the wide area of the warehouse.

One of them, spots a piece of cloth fluttering pass a window for a moment.

Out of reflex, a mercenary aims at it and squeezes the trigger of its semi-automatic rifle. Its wild spray of bullets ricochets through numerous places. One of the bullets punctures a pipe that delivers fuel to the ships that go in and out of the harbor. Another shoots the valve right out of one of the propane tanks among a numerous stacks and bundled in crates.

The high-pitched ping and hissing alerts everyone to leave the place immediately.

They rush outside as a group, but among the panic, one of them trips over something.

“Hey wait!!” Someone tries to call out, but they didn’t heed their plea.

The vapor of the propane catches the sparks that the fuse box gives off.

A massive explosion rattles the entire port. A gigantic fireball engulfs the warehouse with towering plumes of flames. The tremendous shockwave knocks all those who have escaped in time to the ground. Intense heat radiates from what used to be a storage facility.

Three people leave the warehouse through the main door unscathed. Two of them are mercenaries.

“The operation is a bust! We need to move. Now!!” One of the mercenaries suggests.

They all retreat through the maze of shipping containers in haste to avoid whatever it is that’s taking them down.

As they find their way back to the yacht they have left at the harbor, they hear rapid tapping on the metal walls beside them.

They see a shrouded figure dashing quickly along the borders of the makeshift maze.

One of the mercenaries fires wildly at the shipping container. However, the cloaked figure jumps, and does a backflip to disembark from the stacked containers.

The Gilded Saber appears before them, landing on its feet.

Upon blocking their path, it draws its iconic golden sword out of thin air.

The two mercenary escorts didn’t hesitate to point their carbines at it. However, to their surprised, they didn’t have to.

Another Gilded Saber, much like the other, jumps down. This similarly cloaked figure, quickly turns around and parries the oncoming attack against the mercenaries.

Amidst the confusion, the escort team quickly turns around and finds another way through the maze of containers.

“What happened to not appearing in the same place publicly, Master? I thought we have to keep the legend that there’s only one of us!”

Katsuo jumps away after clashing golden swords with the one who has spent these past years honing his skills.

“I would rather lose the legend rather than lose you to yourself. I still cared for you, even if you insist on pushing through with your ridiculous plan of revenge.” The original Gilded Saber points its sword towards Katsuo’s - its heir’s - face. “You should be thankful that I was able to hide the people you have rendered unconscious. They should be protected from the blast if they’re hiding below ground.”

Katsuo clicks his tongue through his black mask.

“With all due respect, this isn’t your problem to solve.”

“You’re my student and that makes you my problem. If you are to become stronger you must forget what hurt you. Drowning in the past will only do more harm than good.” The Gilded Saber sweeps its sword downwards and away from Katsuo’s face. “You think you’ll be strong enough to defeat your past if you kill everyone involved?”

Katsuo clenches his fist one more time.

“No…but nothing will change if I don't try.”

He dashes towards the side and quickly leaps between them to get over the walls again.

He jumps from container to container and over gaps to quickly close the distance between him and the person he’s after.

(“Forgive me, Master. But despite my motives, I too do not wish unnecessary blood. I will simply eliminate the two of them who are in the middle of this chaos. This will surely spare many others from this wrath; from my bitter fate.”)

Katsuo sticks to the sturdy edges to prevent his feet from making too much noise.

After catching up to them, Katsuo leaps from the metal wall and lands a kick on one of the mercenaries’ head. The resulting impact drives its head towards another shipping container thus knocking it cold.

The last remaining member of Taskforce Mars didn’t hesitate to shoot at Katsuo using the rifle strapped over its shoulder.

He quickly pushes off the mercenary he has kicked to another shipping container.

He jumps to another metal wall and grabs the rifle off the mercenary’s hands.

Due to Katsuo’s momentum, it rips right off its sturdy grip.

The rifle itself twirls to the back of the mercenary from the strap over its shoulder. This same force also pulls its weight backwards and brings the mercenary’s back on the floor.

Katsuo turns around while calling forth his golden sword again.

He quickly slams its pommel on the downed mercenary to knock it out.

This now leaves their VIP open. He spots him with his back turned and about to make a turn.

Katsuo dashes quickly, pushing on the gravel on the ground harder and harder.

His breathing grows deeper and faster. He feels like a predator hunting its prey in the wild. He focuses his sight on. 

Once he has caught up, he jumps to the side of another shipping container and leaps in front of its target. With his sword drawn back, Katsuo shuts his eyes to everything but his vengeance.

With all the anger, the strife, the rage for the people who have taken his world, and his family, he puts them all in a single thrust of his legendary golden sword.

“DIE------------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“Katsuo, wait!!” The Gilded Saber tries to call out one last time.

However, the deed has already been done.

No words.

No sound.

No emotion at all.

The lonely wind of the seas and the rustling of the waves nearby all whisper the demise of a person.

For the first time ever, the Gilded Saber’s noble golden sword has taken a life. The long broad sword pierces through flesh and bone as a person is skewered right through the heart and out of the back.

The force of the stab knocks a piece of paper off the victim’s breast pocket. Its twirling in the wind has stolen Katsuo’s attention.

Upon landing on the floor, Katsuo realizes what it is; along with it, the consequence of his action.

A picture of a happy family celebrating their newborn daughter’s birth lands on the victim’s foot. Blood trickles down the formerly pristine golden sword, then drips over the father’s face on the picture - the same person who Katsuo has just killed.

Katsuo’s pupils dilate upon finding out. Paralyzed in shock, he stands frozen, still holding the weapon he has used to destroy someone else’s world.

He looks at his victim’s eyes. Professor Kingsley while still on the verge of death shakily raises his hand and holds on to the sword that has stabbed him.

“So, the legends are real. But how does it feel to have blood on your hands? You wouldn’t even be able to do this if not for my work.” A weary grin cracks on his face. “You’re no hero…”

Instead of relief, Katsuo’s burden has grown heavier.

Professor Kingsley’s hand has grown limp.

Katsuo pulls his sword stained with blood, and lets the corpse fall in a way that cradles the blood-stained picture on the ground.

Just as his Master’s words, his quest for vengeance has only made things worse.

The Gilded Saber watches over his student from atop the high-rising cranes, saddened at what has fallen upon Katsuo.

Sirens start to fade in from the distance, possibly drawn in by the explosion.

This prompts it to run back into the shadows; leaving Katsuo behind.

Katsuo takes off his shroud and face mask as the bitter regret and his aching conscience take a toll on him.

All of a sudden, small cracks appear from the tip of the golden sword within his grasp. It grows rapidly, yet intermittently down the middle.

Eventually it consumes the entire sword without Katsuo realizing it.

The only time he does is when it shatters with a shrill unpleasant sound, similar to a mirror smashed to bits. It splinters into shards of light, then is scattered into the wind.

Distraught, Katsuo tries creating his weapon again. But try as he might, nothing happens.

“Come on…what happened?!” He asks himself under his breath panicking while glaring at his right palm.

The sirens grow louder and louder. Red and blue lights start flashing all over the place.

Heavy footsteps resonate through the maze of shipping containers.

“Hands in the air! Now!!”

Before he knows it, Katsuo has been surrounded by police officers.

Traumatized by the events, he kneels motionless before the corpse he has created.

With the police officers pointing their handguns at him from the front, the ones behind him move in for the arrest.

They briskly take his small wrists to the back of his waist, slam handcuffs into them, and drag him off to their police cars.

“I’m sorry,” The Gilded Saber whispers. “It’s my fault that the gift has left you. I have been far too lax about your actions. I always believed that you are capable of making the right choice. But this is a lesson you have to learn on your own, Katsuo…”

“Katsuo…” He can hear his Master’s voice echoing as it calls his name. “Katsuo…Katsuo…”

Part 8

“Katsuo!”

One night, Katsuo is woken up by someone shaking his arm and loudly whispering his name to the verge of nearly shouting it.

He looks to his side and sees Kanade grabbing a hold of him.

“Are you alright? You were squirming and murmuring a lot that I can’t sleep myself.”

With Katsuo sleeping on the couch and everyone else having their own beds, Kanade is sleeping on the floor. This time, she has come prepared and packed a futon to sleep on.

Katsuo sits right up and clutches his sweat-drenched face.

“I’m fine. Just…having a bad dream.”

“Good.” Kanade crosses her arms pout. “I…uh, I mean. It’s not like I worry about you or anything. You’re making so much noise that I can’t sleep myself.”

As Kanade’s cheeks blush a light tint of red,  Katsuo can’t help but smile.

“You know, it doesn’t hurt to be honest once in a while.”

Light sparks zip around Kanade’s head.

“Wh-who says I’m not being honest?! You damned idiot!” She says with a pout.

Katsuo lightly covers his mouth as a reaction to Kanade’s response.

Katsuo takes a moment to absorb the serenity of the quiet night. The faint blue light of the moon peers from the windows. The sound of the wildlife and the insects serenade those asleep into sound slumber.

“The night sure is beautiful, isn’t it?” Katsuo offhandedly comments.

“Hmm?” Kanade responds as she is twirling the tips of her hair with her index finger. “Mm-hmm. It kinda is, I guess…”

Silence overtakes the two again. The awkward situation has caused them to avoid eye contact with one another.

“So, I've been meaning to ask. About your big sister…she must be a really great person if you look up to her so much.”

A look of surprise suddenly appears on Kanade’s face.

(“Dammit, what am I saying? This is a sensitive topic, I shouldn’t even have brought it up!”) Bitter regret consumes Katsuo.

Katsuo flinches upon realization of his mistake. However, to his surprise, Kanade actually gives a chuckle.

“You wouldn’t know the half of it. She’s more than just a great person, I heard that everyone who used to go to this school respects her so much.”

“What’s she like?”

Kanade gives a heavy sigh as she thinks back to those fond times.

“Humble, caring, righteous. She has a very strong sense of dignity and justice. I remember how she used to go on and on about upholding peace by her own heroic deeds.”

“Sounds like a bona fide hero of justice.”

“I know…but I think that’s what people like so much about her.”

Kanade clutches tightly to the thick blanket she’s using. She too has a heavy burden on her chest.

“Hey…you always said to tell you anything that’s bothering me right?” Kanade brings up Katsuo's offer.

“Hmm? Yeah, why’d you ask?”

“Well…it’s just that…I was asked to make a choice, and I don’t know what to do.”

“What kind of choice is it?”

Kanade remembers the deal that Blood Blade has presented her.

(“What if I told you that I can make sure that you will see your sister again? You just have to do one simple thing for me…I want you to kill the one you call…Katsuo Kiyabu.”)

“I can’t…” Kanade turns her head away from him.

Knowing the weight of her voice, Katsuo no longer forces the information out of her.

He just lies back down with his hands behind his back.

“Well, if you don’t want to tell me, you don’t have to. Besides, from what you’ve told me about your sister, she sounds like a very nice person. Maybe try asking yourself… ‘What would Tsubaki sis do?’…”

Kanade can’t help but giggle.

“Huh? What’s wrong?” Katsuo curiously asks.

“Nothing, nothing. It’s just that…you’re actually starting to sound like her.”

“Is that so? Well, at least I was still able to lighten your burden even for a little bit.”

Kanade bows her head and gives a thin smile.

“Thanks…thanks for everything.” She whispers meekly to herself.

“What’s that?”

Another bolt of electricity wildly jumps across her hair follicles.

“N-nothing! Good night!!” She quickly drops down to her futon and covers her body with the think blanket it came with.

Katsuo smiles playfully then closes his eyes to go back to sleep.

“Good night…” He greets back.

“And don’t forget! First thing in the morning, we’ll meet up to do the combat training you’ve been begging.”

“Sure~!” Katsuo sarcastically replies with his eyes still closed.

Kanade curls herself with her back facing Katsuo.

However, her eyes are still wide open. Her mind is still abuzz with thoughts.

(“Actually, Tsubaki sis isn’t the only person you remind me of. There’s someone else that I think of when I see you. That’s why…”) Kanade slowly closes her eyes as she tries to silence her thoughts. (“…that’s why I have to do this.”)

And thus, a day has passed.

Less than twenty-four hours remain on the deadline Blood Blade has placed.

But this time, Kanade has made a choice on what to do with the deal.

Part 9

“So, let me get this straight…”

The next day in the headmistress’ office, Miss Violet leans back on her swivel chair while tapping her fingertips together.

“…You actually encountered Taskforce Mars before?” She confirms while talking in her usual cold voice.

“It was four years ago, before you took me in. They were involved in the explosion that wreck the harbor.”

“And yet you expect me to believe that you singlehandedly taken down Chariotte Enterprise’s former top mercenary team?”

“You don’t have to. You told me to tell you everything else I know. I…don’t know why,” Katsuo clutches his head again, “but it feels like my subconscious is keeping me from remembering everything.”

Miss Violet can’t help but thinly smile.

“Selective amnesia. Looks like the trauma of taking a life was so bad for your young mind, that it shut off some of the memories about it.” Miss Violet informs him of what caused his memories to be fogged out. “So, Lance Corp.’s last deal with Professor Kingsley is the shipment of the experimental drug that was able to make Miss Sakawa stronger, eh?”

“Professor Kingsley? You mean…” Katsuo tries to ask in his trembling voice.

“Oh? I’m surprised you haven’t figured it out yet. The person you killed at the harbor is none other than acclaimed scientist, Professor Harvey Kingsley.”

As though the world around him is shattered, everything stopped making sense.

His face contorts to a look of agony and confusion. He spirals in his thoughts, his memories, lost and in disarray.

“How? I thought the official story is that Harvey Kingsley is missing?”

“It is. But let me tell you, hiding the truth was harder than I thought. Professor Kingsley’s contribution to Alter research is so great that if news of his death reaches the media, it will risk exposing the military’s efforts to use your powers as weapons.”

“Is that what this school is for? Is that why you seek out to gather as much Alters as you can?”

Miss Violet gives a heavy sigh.

“Originally, yes. But that is before I took over. While you’re still in my care, I get to say how you will be treated, be it as human beings or as weapons. But right now, I think you know pretty well how I’m treating you.”

Cold dead air fills the dimly lit office once more. Katsuo takes a deep breath to get his bearings straight.

“Let’s get back on subject. Do people know that I’m involved?” He asks in confirmation.

“As of the moment, no. They know that someone killed the good professor, and you were found at the scene of the crime. It’s a good thing that you can create and destroy the murder weapon at will.”

While Miss Violet is talking, Katsuo didn’t catch the door behind him slowly being opened.

“Does Alexia know? I don’t know if I can face her if she knows that I killed her father.”

Miss Violet gives a wide grin.

“Maybe you should ask her that yourself.” Miss Violet gestured for Katsuo to look behind him.

He quickly turns around and sees Alex Kenningway.

He is carrying a tote bag on his back with his hands clasped together to his chest.

A tear flows down Alex’s cheek; however, the look on his face is not of fear, or sadness. Not even anger.

It is a smile, a wide happy smile of someone who has been relieved of a burden.

“Alex…”

“It’s okay. I already know.” Alex uses the long sleeves of his uniform’s jacket to wipe the tear from his eye.

“Look, I know there are now words to say it, but…”

Alex interrupts him by placing an index finger by Katsuo’s lips.

“I told you, it’s okay. I forgive you.”

“But…why?” Katsuo’s voice quivers upon not getting the reaction he is expecting.

Alex is currently confronting the very person who has destroyed his world, but what he shows is not hostility.

“I have to admit, when I first found out that my father is dead, it hurts. I clearly remember the pain that I felt that day.”

Alex grabs a hold of both of Katsuo’s hands.

He moves closer to Katsuo to the point where their chests are pressing against their hands.

The sudden gesture causes Katsuo’s cheeks to lightly blush in surprise.

“Tell me, have you ever wondered why I genuinely wanted to befriend you? I always felt like it would be the final step in accepting my father’s death. I love my father very much, I really do. Which is why I’d rather not let him down by doing nothing but lamenting the past.”

The shadow of guilt unshackles itself from Katsuo.

Upon receiving the forgiveness he full-heartedly knows he doesn’t deserve, he returns the same smile that Alex has given.

He bows his head to try and hide his rapidly reddening face.

“I…I don’t know what to do.” Katsuo says confused.

Alex places one hand and gently places it on his left cheek.

“You can start by not being so melancholic all the time. It doesn’t suit you.”

A long grunting and barfing coming from behind Miss Violet’s desk catches their attention.

They turn to see the headmistress hunched under the desk with an arm barely supporting her at the surface. Her motions give the impression of someone vomiting their stomach out from disgust.

“Are you alright?” Katsuo walks closer out of concern, but Miss Violet tells him to stop.

She slowly stands herself up using her shaky legs.

“I’m fine. It’s just that…you two look so sappy together.” She answers with her arms crossed and leaning on the glass wall behind her.

Upon realizing that the trick that the playful imp has played on them, the both cover their mouth, close their eyes, and give a chuckle and a hearty laugh.

The dimly lit room is filled with joyous laughter as the headmistress can’t help but smile herself.

The burden of years of sorrow and grief has been lifted. The chains that shackle these two from their past has been broken.

All thanks to a single tender and forgiving heart.

Unknown to any of them, a butterfly with pink and black wings is resting against the wide windows of the headmistress’ office.

As they laugh, the butterfly flies away and up towards the blue sky; up to the heavens where the soul will finally have everlasting peace.

Part 10

Once everything is settled, Katsuo excuses himself and leaves the headmistress’ office.

He leaves with his head down as he closes the door behind him.

Suddenly...

“You’re late!” A voice barks at him.

Katsuo brings his head up and sees Kanade glaring at him while leaning against the wall with her arms crossed.

“Sorry, had to fix up some unfinished matters.”

Kanade sighs in response.

“Well, I guess it can’t be helped. Come on, we don’t have all day.” Kanade gives a shrug and starts walking away.

And with those words, Katsuo follows behind. As Kanade, half her face shaded by the light.

Meanwhile, back inside Miss Violet’s office, the headmistress receives a call as she is taking her seat. She uses her computer terminal to encrypt the line again and then answer the call.

“Oh thank goodness you’ve answered. There’s something important you should know.” The person at the other end of the line informs Miss Violet.

“Calm down, officer. I already told you I won’t push through with—”

“It’s not that. There’s something my men just brought to my attention. It’s about one of your students: Kanade Ishihara. They’ve seen her get in contact with Call Sign Blood Blade.”

Like a bolt of lightning, the sudden news shakes both Miss Violet and Alex Kenningway - who is unfortunate enough to listen in.

However, as they stay in the room, Kanade and Katsuo are already riding the elevator down to the school’s underground training complex.

Katsuo looks at her as she stares blankly at the metal door. All the while, the cramp space they are in gradually descends.

(“You have spent years getting stronger to the day that you’ll be able to look your sister in the eye. Despite what everybody said, you refuse to believe that she is dead. Do you really want to throw away the chance that you’ll never know you will see again?”)

The bargain that has been presented to her echoes in her mind again. The anguish, the turmoil, the loneliness of following a seemingly bleak path can be seen past her lonesome face.

Although her decision is final, a wavering thought lingers in the corner of her consciousness.

“Kanade? Is something wrong?”

The elevator jostles upon the arrival to their destination. This shakes Kanade out of her thoughts and back to her senses.

“N-nothing. Hurry up and go already!” She says with a pout.

Katsuo shrugs and walks off of the elevator.

As soon as he steps out, Kanade touches on the elevator’s controls. She then zaps it with electricity coming out of her fingertips.

The lights inside the elevator flicker on and off with nobody but Kanade noticing.

Back in the headmistress’ office…

“What do you mean she got in contact with Blood Blade?”

“I’m just as curious about it as you are. It happened during that…mission…you dragged us into doing. The men I had patrol the rooftops saw her discussing details of an agreement between them.”

Alex immediately turns around and runs towards the door.

He bursts it open with a big push and dashes down the hallway to try and look for Kanade.

(“Dammit Kanade! I don’t know what Blood Blade promised you, but there’s only one thing that guy wants in return. Don’t do anything stupid.”)

Alex feels the phone in his pocket vibrating with a deep buzz.

He takes it out and sees the number on screen. This makes him clicks his tongue and skids to a stop in his tracks.

He makes a turn towards a nearby emergency exit without anybody seeing him, and enters the stairwell leading to it.

With the door shut behind him, he presses a button on the phone and answers the call.

“I have a new task for you, Deathwish.” A heavily distorted voice talks through the weak speakers. “Our plan to eliminate the greatest threat to the world is about to begin. I need you to make sure it goes without problems.”

A chill runs down Alex’s spine as he finds out that his suspicions are true.

He gulps in a mouthful of air to try and calm himself down. After all, this is the point where he has to play for both sides.

“How will you make sure that they won’t just hide his death this time? I assume you’re still following through with your plans to have him publicly executed instead again.”

“About that…see, I’ve been doing some thinking, and I have an idea. There’s more than one way to show his demise. All I have to do is make sure that everyone watches it unfold. How they see it is irrelevant. All I have to do is make sure that the whole world is watching.”

Alex grits his teeth as his back is against a wall.

“Where is this happening?”

“According to your camera feeds, they should be in the underground training complex. Head on down there and make sure the plan succeeds.”

As the call ends, painful dread pierces through Alex.

(“Dammit! How could I forget about that!!”)

During the Arsenal incident, they are able to keep track of everyone’s whereabouts using a program he has snuck into the school’s surveillance system. This grants everyone, including Blood Blade, a view of the entire school.

Alex opens his contacts and scrolls down to Henrietta’s number.

(“I need to let them know about the problem in the surveillance system…”)

However, the moment the cursor is over the number he needs and is about to make the call, second thoughts start to enter his mind.

(“No good! If I tell her, it’ll reach the entire Disciplinary Committee. It’ll risk my cover being blown! I can't put anyone else in danger just for my sake!”)

With no options left, Alex leaves the emergency stairwell and heads back to the school corridors.

To his surprise, various murmurs are heard from people who are gathering around one of the many monitors that fill the school hallways.

Normally, these just show daily announcements along with the current date and time. However, they are showing a video feed of Katsuo and Kanade alone in one of the many training rooms in the school.

In the Disciplinary Committee office…

“What is going on over there?!” Henrietta demands from her subordinates.

“It’s the hack that Security has been working to contain. It’s broadcasting a feed inside Training Room V-16.”

“Then pull the plug!”

“They can’t! They’re locked out!!”

Henrietta slams her fist on her desk in frustration. She scrambles towards her computer to see if there’s something she can do to at least block the connection. And just as what was told, she has no way into the system.

“Dammit!” She grits her teeth in dismay.

And then, her phone starts to give off a uniform sequence of beeps. She takes it out and flips it open to answer it.

“It’s me.”

“Henrietta, you see what’s going on?” Alex asks though his heavy breathing as he runs down the halls.

“Yes. I have everyone working to have the video feed in the monitors taken out.”

“It’s much bigger than that. I just got word: Katsuo is in trouble.”

Fear suddenly overtakes Henrietta. She jumps right off her seat and reaches for her utility belt.

“I’m heading down there.”

“Don’t!” Alex immediately tells her. “I know the headmistress tasked you into protecting him, but the school needs you. I’ll head down there to sort things out. Where are Miss Natalia and Kagami?”

“I don’t know. Can you look for them?”

“No time. Which training room are they in?”

“V-16. It’s one of the training rooms we’re granted access to after winning the Battle Tournament. Hurry, I’ll see what we can still do to calm things down.”

“Got it. Thanks.”

Alex continues to run down the halls as he hangs up the call.

He reaches one of the elevators that lead down to the training complex, however, the call button is not responding at all.

Alex clicks his tongue and runs off to find another elevator down.

In the secluded training room down at the bottom levels of the school’s training complex…

“So, start with a simple sparring match?” Katsuo asks Kanade as she works on the training room’s control panel.

As soon as Kanade sets the panel down, Katsuo starts creating a short sword by his right hand.

However, before it even finishes assembling, Kanade zaps it off his hand with a quick bolt.

The sudden shock forces Katsuo to turn his attention to his hand that has once held the weapon he’s constructing.

After reflexively letting go of his unfinished blade, it breaks into shards of light upon hitting the ground.

The moment he turns his attention back to Kanade, he sees her leaping towards him with a fist cocked backwards.

With no time to dodge, Katsuo crosses his forearms to try and block the punch.

The force behind the attack is so tremendous that a shockwave of pressure and electricity radiates from both of them. Light scorch marks are left behind on Katsuo’s sleeves, directly over where he has caught Kanade’s attack.

“No. Fight like your life depends on it…” Kanade answers as she emerges from the bright electric light.

She slowly stands up as Circuitbreaker shows itself behind her. Bolts of lightning zip around them as Kanade glares towards Katsuo.

“…because that’s exactly what’s going on now!”

Back at the Disciplinary Committee office, Henrietta grows antsier as she is forced to sit by.

(“This is wrong. This is all wrong! I can’t just sit here while he’s there needing my help!”)

Henrietta can’t help but be worried about him. The look on her face as cold sweat pours down her forehead.

(“I know the school needs me. But Katsuo…he needs me just the same!”)

Without another thought, Henrietta leaps out of her seat and dashes towards the door.

Just as she is about to reach it, a filing cabinet is flung then slams in front of it as though it was thrown, causing her to flinch in reflex. The tossed cabinet forms a blockade between Henrietta and her exit

Henrietta quickly turns towards the one person in the room that could have done this.

“Why…why do you go through so many lengths for him?” Erica asks after just using her telekinetic abilities. “Protecting him is nothing more than a job for you, right? Well so is being this school’s Disciplinary Committee Chairperson! Is your promise to save everyone just some shallow pipe dream?!”

“That’s not it!” Henrietta quickly shouts back which immediately petrifies everyone in the room.

Henrietta takes deep alternating breaths to calm herself down once more.

“I do intend to save everyone. That much is true. And I haven’t given up on that. Not now, or ever.”

“Then why do—” Erica tries to ask.

“HOWEVER!!!”  Henrietta quickly interrupts. “This means that I will save Katsuo as well. This means more than duty! It means more than my dream!! If I am to save everyone, then I will start by protecting the one life that’s special to me!”

Henrietta’s words resonate loudly within Erica’s heart.

With nothing left to persuade her, she uses her telekinesis once more to move the collapsed filing cabinet out of the way, and even open the door for her.

“Go.” Erica Crosse mutters back. “If he means to you really means so much to you, just go. Besides, it’s hard to deal with the problem with you moping like that.”

Henrietta looks at her second-in-command with eyes lit up in hope. She gives a grin which she covers with her hand as it pushes up her glasses by the bridge.

“Thanks for that. Hold the fort while I’m gone.”

Henrietta grabs her utility belt from the scattered mess, and buckles it around her slender waist as she runs down the hall outside of the Committee’s office.

Meanwhile, among one of the crowds gathered outside on the school grounds…

“What’s with all the commotion?” Natalia wonders as she looks among the crowd.

Kagami, who is walking beside her, takes out one of her hands from her pocket and cracks her neck in annoyance.

“Geez, why does everyone have to be so noisy? What a drag…”

They look towards where the crowd is gathered and notices the various murmurs. Flashes of blue lightning zip across the screen as Katsuo frantically rolls and dodges each one that pass by.

Every time Katsuo tries to create a weapon, Kanade immediately denies him by either zapping it off his hands, or rushing in for an attack before the construction completes.

The battle is awfully one-sided. All Katsuo can do is dodge and block. An unseen force that is occasionally landing attacks on him, making it evident that Kanade is using Circuitbreaker to attack as well.

Natalia analyzes Kanade’s attack patterns. Her speed, her power, she’s not holding back at all.

The amount of electricity whizzing through the air is dangerous that just getting grazed by it is lethal.

“This is bad. That dumpkoff’s gonna get him killed!”

“I don’t know about you, but I could go knocking in some of her loose screws.” Kagami says with a grin.

With no time to waste, Natalia quickly darts away and runs back inside the campus.

“H-hey! Where are you going?!”

“I know where they are! I recognize that training room. Hurry, we don’t have much time!!” She answers while dashing through the crowd.

Meanwhile, sweat drips from Alex's face as the cramp metal elevator slowly descends to the lower levels where the training complex. He takes off his jacket and yanks out his necktie by the knot. 

(“Eyes will be on them. It’ll raise attention if Alex Kenningway suddenly steps in to try and stop them.”) Alex thinks to himself.

He reaches down the tote bag he has been carrying to take out the symbol of his other identity: a silver mask.

The elevator doors slide open. The lone guard holding the area spots the person going through.

“Halt!! S-stop!” The startled guard tries to subdue the intruder with a quivering voice.

With her bright pink hair flowing through the wind, Deathwish emerges from the elevator Alex once occupied.

She dashes towards the only one getting between her and her objective burning with conviction.

Wild electricity still fly within the training room as Kanade’s onslaught continues.

“You rely on your weapons too much! Your hand to hand combat is sloppy!” Kanade berates Katsuo as she sends out a flurry of electrified jabs.

Katsuo weaves between each one, but didn’t see the sudden shift to a hook at the end.

The impact rocks his body forward which provides Kanade a narrow window.

She takes it and rushes towards Katsuo, grabs him by the neck and jaw, places it by her shoulder, and slams both their backs on the hard ground.

As Kanade stands up and catches her breath, Katsuo turns his body around and tries to use his quivering arms to stand himself up.

“Get up…” Kanade glares at him as she wipes the corner of her mouth with the back of her hand.

Katsuo coughs as he clutches his stomach in pain. His throbbing body that aches in various places is too weak to fight back.

“Why…” Katsuo asks under his breath. “…why are you doing this?”

The pain surges his body to the point that he starts coughing up blood.

Kanade grabs him by the collar and hoists him up in the air. Her head is bowed down in a way that her eyes are covered by a shadow.

“Why? Do you think I enjoy doing this? I’m left with no other choice!”

Kanade pulls Katsuo closer. His head is so near to Kanade’s that his ear is almost by her lips.

And then, she whispers something to Katsuo.

Whatever it may be, it causes a look of surprise and confusion on his face.

Before he can react, Kanade shoots a knee straight to his stomach.

With a painful grunt, Katsuo is sent flying, tumbling, and sliding across the floor. Leftover momentum from the impact causes his back to collide with the wall.

“I’ve waited for this opportunity all my life. I won’t expect you to understand. But I guess you don’t have to…” Kanade sends a violent thunderstorm swirling around her. “…you won’t live long enough to do that anyway!”

A gigantic lightning bolt flies towards the weak Katsuo.

His eyes snap towards the bright crackling stream rapidly approaching him.

He quickly forms a two-handed sword, twirls it around, and impales it to the ground in front of him.

With a sharp crackle, the lightning bolt hits the sword acts like a lightning rod. and catches Kanade’s bolt in midair.

The force of the blast causes Katsuo to stagger back.

Smaller sparks arc everywhere from the point of impact as bright dazzling light - like the one seen during arc welding, fill the small training room.

Katsuo shields his eyes from the pure white light.

“Tell me, if you long to see someone precious, won’t you give anything to see them again too?” Kanade slowly walks with heavy footsteps towards Katsuo as electricity zip around her body. “But it’s more to me than that. I want to know the truth. There has to be a reason why they hide what happened that day. I won’t get those answers by asking.”

“Kanade…please! I’m sure there’s a logical explanatio—”

“DON’T GIVE ME THAT CRAP!!!”

Another intense bolt of electricity shoots towards Katsuo as he flinches from the rumbling thunder. It bends unnaturally towards the conductive metal sword that’s impaled on the ground.

However, cracks start to form along its edges. Upon seeing these, Katsuo dives away from the blast just in time.

He rolls away and lands on one knee, one hand on the ground. and the other hand swept to his back.

Immediately afterwards,the metal sword explodes into shards of light.

Kanade shields her face from the dazzling flash created by both her electric bolt and the explosion of Katsuo’s sword.

(“Got ya!”)

Taking advantage of the opportunity, Katsuo forms a jousting lance with a sweep of his hand.

He gives it a big swing to his side, and then drives it straight towards Kanade.

A hard impact can be felt, however, it didn’t connect to Kanade.

Katsuo's attack lands a hit, however, as the light subsides…

“!!” Katsuo gasps in surprise.

A ghostly apparition grasps tightly at the lance's tip. It is revealed that Circuitbreaker has blocked Katsuo’s attack with its open palm.

“Seriously, your straightforwardness will be the death of you.”

In a small room that overlooks the inside of the enclosed battleground between Katsuo and Kanade, Deathwish fiddles with the external command console to try and find a way to get into the training room.

“This training room was designed to perform rigorous stamina tests without the risk of outside interference. There should be an emergency release control here somewhere.”

The buzzing of her phone disturbs her search. She reaches into her pocket and takes it out to answer the call.

“Change of plans.” The digitally altered voice at the other end informs her. “The rest are on their way to intervene.”

“Do you want me to stop them?”

“No. Not only will you be outnumbered, but Inverter is joining them.”

Deathwish clicks her tongue in dismay.

“So what’s next?”

“Accelerate the time table. Help our new ally eliminate Katsuo Kiyabu.”

Deathwish’s pupils tremble in shock through the translucent red lenses of her mask. The sensation of overwhelming dread fills her chest.

“There has to be another way.”

“You want to earn my favor? Do as I say and I will grant you the information you ask for.”

Alexia still needs to know what Blood Blade needs with her father’s research. However, if she would ever think of getting the information she needs, she has to get close to Blood Blade.

And that means, doing what this mysterious figure says.

“…understood.” Deathwish answers under her breath.

“Good. The keycard from the guard should help you do that. And remember, I’m watching you.” Blood Blade informs her before hanging up.

Deathwish turns to the guard she has knocked out upon entering. She crouches down and searches its pockets.

On one of the pockets on its Kevlar vest is an emergency access card to the training room the two are locked in.

She locks her gaze t the card in her hand. Upon doing so, a single question comes to mind:

(“What...what do I do?”)

Back inside, Katsuo continues to fend off against Kanade’s flurry of punches.

(“Dammit! Fighting against her is like taking on two opponents at once. If only I can summon my own Alter too!”)

It has been a few minutes already and Katsuo’s stamina grows thin. His movements grows sluggish and his breathing goes deeper.

Katsuo catches one of Kanade’s jabs and is cocking his hand back for a counter. However, Circuitbreaker grabs his wrist before he can even let it loose.

With Katsuo’s attention turned to Circuitbreaker, Kanade twists her body around and drives her elbow right towards Katsuo’s nose; breaking his grip on Kanade’s fist.

Katsuo uses his right heel to turn, and burn off the excess momentum. While doing so, he extends his arm and forms a simple dowel with the sweep of his arm.

Kanade gives off a small electric bolt to try and zap the weapon out of Katsuo’s hand again, but he keeps his posture low and weaves downwards and out of the way.

Katsuo aims the blunt rod to Kanade’s neck, but blocks the swing by his wrist with the back of her hand.

She coils her hand around his wrist, and rapidly swings her arm in a circular motion, flipping Katsuo.

The sudden force tosses Katsuo harshly to the ground with a loud thud on his back.

Katsuo turns himself over while groaning in pain.

Grimacing, he slowly pushes himself up with his arms shaking in exhaustion.

His sore biceps throb under his weight as his shallow breaths go faster and faster.

Kanade quickly bears on top of him and all of the air in his lungs rapidly escapes through his mouth.

She digs her left knee deep into Katsuo’s back while she wraps her left arm around his neck and under his chin.

She keeps her lock on Katsuo tight by hooking her right arm under Katsuo’s and pulling on her own wrist, clamping both of Kanade's arms shut around Katsuo.

Kanade pulls her body backwards which bends Katsuo’s back.

He extends his arm to try and create a weapon to break free, but the pain running all over his body is messing with his concentration.

The metal shapes that are meant to form his weapon shatter upon attempting to connect with one another.

“K-Kanade…please…”

“Don’t worry; this hurts me more than it hurts you.” Small sparks start to run along her arms as they whisper their fatal buzz softly near Katsuo’s near. “Miss Rin said that 10 milliamps is enough to kill a person. Let’s crank it up just in case.”

Katsuo’s eyes quiver in fear as he can no longer escape the clutches of death.

The hold pushes deep into his throat and prevents any air from flowing.

He tries to wiggle and shimmy off the hold, but Kanade quickly readjusts to prevent him from moving.

The erratic sparks fly faster. He shuts his eyes tightly to try and silence the zipping bolts of electricity.

However, slowly, they start to dwindle down.

The pressure being exerted on Katsuo’s neck begins to loosen up.

As soon as the sparks die down, Kanade’s arm limply lets go of Katsuo.

A dull thud is heard as Kanade’s weight disappears all of a sudden.

Katsuo frantically stands up and turns around to see what happened.

He sees Kanade lying on her side, motionless. Behind her stands the person who is responsible for putting her in such a state.

“Deathwish…” Katsuo whispers her name under his breath.

As though in response, Deathwish dashes towards Katsuo with a cocked fist which gives off a black miasma.

Katsuo quickly forms a rapier and parries the quick jabs that Deathwish throws at him.

She punches once, then twice, and then spins around for a roundhouse kick aimed to his head.

Katsuo quickly bends his body backwards to dodge the lethal kick. However, the pain from the earlier hold forces him to immediately stand back up straight.

Just then, Deathwish’s leg that has delivered the kick earlier returns to the opposite direction. This delivers a blunt impact which hits Katsuo’s left shoulder.

Katsuo is sent sliding a few meters to the side on his feet. Minimal physical damage is inflicted on him. However, as he recovers from the impact, a sensation of multiple needles pricking him starts to consume his left arm.

The numbing sensation forces him to clutch his shoulder while he slumps over and catches his breath.

As Deathwish slowly approaches Katsuo for the kill, Kanade’s hand starts to twitch. She too is consumed by the paralyzing feeling that has come from Deathwish’s touch.

She has little control of her body, but not enough for her to move properly. She lies on her stomach and slowly crawls towards Deathwish.

(“No…please…I have to do this…”) With her body still paralyzed, Kanade can’t even muster the strength to speak.

She slowly extends her trembling hand to reach towards her. The numbing pain is preventing her from generating any electricity with her abilities.

(“…don’t kill him…”)

Deathwish takes a great leap and lunges towards Katsuo with a palm strike.

He shouts at the top of his lungs past the numbing pain as he counters by thrusting the rapier being held by his left hand forward.

And at that moment, a deafening silence fills the room.

The final blow has been struck.

Kanade’s eyes quiver in despair as she can do nothing but watch.

0