Chapter 4
1.8k 19 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4

All of those things happened in just a matter of seconds.

I even forgot that I'm still in front of my father as I felt like I'd spent a long time trying to calm down his raging will.

Thankfully, I managed to settle everything in the fastest time possible before I got notice, or else it would make me look suspicious if I remain unresponsive for a long time.

"Today I ordered our cook to add some roasted chicken to our dish in order to assist you with your recovery. Since you've been asleep for the entire day I know that you must be hungry." father said as he sliced a piece of bread and stuffed some blue cheese inside of it.

Roasted chicken is one of my favorite food, whether on earth or here. But in this world, this roasted chicken is a dish that was only used for rare occasions. Since the chicken we used isn't just an ordinary chicken it's a rank 5 magic beast.

This kind of meat is quite expensive in our place since most supplies of magic beasts' meats come from hunting. Rank 5 magic beast is the weakest level of magic beasts, and it also looks like a turkey rather than a chicken because of its bigger size.

Our cook also takes special care cooking this type of meat, since it was more flavorful than the other dishes we have. That's why, out of all the dishes that I have tried, this roasted chicken meat is by far the tastiest. Since most of the dishes that I have eaten during this time are always bland or salty.

The use of spices and herbs is still not popular as crops that have a larger yield are more popular with the farmer, since they can feed more people. Despite that, due to the poor conditions of the farm, they weren't able to maximize the harvest of every plot of land as many of our crops died before we can harvest them.

To be honest the taste of this meat is already good, as a person who came from the modern earth and has witnessed the propagation of different dishes and cuisines. I can say that this meat alone has surpassed the taste of meat on earth. It's like the A5 meat of japan. Overall, the meat alone is already good, but it still lacks some little things

As part of the noble class, we have our advantage like having our own vast territory. Even so, we still can't afford to eat magic beasts' meat every day, as the cost of raising magic beasts' as livestock is too heavy for our treasury. Since magic beast requires special care in order to grow its mana core. 

The animals here are like pokemon they can evolve by absorbing mana. At first, they were just normal animals that you can see around but as they grow stronger they would form something called a mana core inside their body. They can only form this core by consuming or exposing themselves to things that are rich in mana elements.

Most of the food produced on our farm is used for human consumption, since there's always a deficit of food supply in our city, no sane human would use it to feed their livestock.

And since we are located at the edge of the enchanted forest, we can't let our livestock and other animals roam free. So farming on a big scale is also quite hard for us. Since there are still some predators that prey around them, that makes it harder for us to raise livestock on a farm, since all the feeds that they need to consume are provided by us.

"The meat of a magic beast is really delicious unfortunately we can't eat them every day." I said without thinking. Dammit, Lucas, your personality is truly overwhelming.

Father suddenly stopped eating as he looked at me in the eye, and said "I would also love to have this magic beast's meat in our meals every night but you know that we can't afford it because they consume too much. Even the normal chicken on our farm is already hard to maintain. Aside from that, our coppers are running dry, we can't afford to spend it all." Uttered by him with a hint of disappointment and sadness in his tone.

I can immediately tell that his disappointment didn't come from not having enough magic beast meat to eat every night, but it was due to his inability as a father to provide the thing that his child wanted.

"Don't worry father, I'll find a way to make sure that we will be able to serve magic beast meat on our dish every day to the point that we would get sick of it," I said with rich enthusiasm to try and lighten the mood.

Father looked at me with distress evident in his eyes and said "Then I will keep that promise of yours in my mind." He said it with a forced smile.

I know that my father is worried about my illness. He knows that there's only a small chance for me to survive from it. But since the day I transmigrated, I felt like everything in my body has changed, it became much better and stronger.

So I think I would be okay. And besides, I grew up on earth where everything is explainable by science, I believe I could find a way to solve this problem. Especially in this world where the supernatural thing exists.

In a peculiar way, it's actually not just a simple transmigration, but more like a fusion between two entities, me from earth and Lucas from this world. It's just that, the ego of the original Lucas has lost against mine. So in exchange, I gain all of his memory and emotions.

After my dinner with my father, I immediately went back to my room and started to organize all of my thoughts.

As I lay down on my bed trying to remember all my missing memories of my past life on earth, especially the reason why I died. And when I finally recalled it my face instantly folded.

I just figure out that my new life in this world is much better than before since I now have my own family where I belong.

Back on earth, I grew up without the proper guidance of my biological parents. They died when I was young. Thankfully, my grandparents are there to take care of me. Unfortunately, they too passed away 4 years before I finished school.

I can't even remember the last time I had fun and enjoyed my life because even as a kid back then, I didn't have the time for play and leisure. I always take my studies as my first priority because my grandparents taught me that by studying, I could be a winner in life, and yet, they didn't tell me how lonely adult life is.

It was already too late when I realized it and I also have a lot of expectations for my future but everything did not go as I planned.

There are a lot of thoughts playing on my mind, after all, I lived there for more than 2 decades.

My perception of life has been shaped by modern earth, and there are a lot of things here in this new world that can be considered as conservative and controversial.

At the same time, The Church of Agatha and the potion guild are one of the most powerful organizations that cover most of the continent except for the three empires.

The Church of Agatha has its own army and intelligence units. They used the beliefs of ordinary people to empower themselves, but as their power began to rise, many noble's households became wary of them.

--------________----------__________

We can say that religion on modern earth is still powerful. However, we still haven't achieved the so-called separation of church and government.

A lot of laws have been barred from being implemented because they go against religion. But it doesn't mean that religion is a bad thing because it balances the nature of a man from being good and evil.

With religion, we can set up the standard of what is ethical and not. It creates peace in the modern world, but for humanity to progress at some point in our future, we must go against some of the teachings of the church and stop our reliance on religion, because that alone can not save us from extinction.

That is just one of the views of the earth that I am used to, and I must say that there are a lot of things that I could use to improve or to fasten the progress of civilization in this new world although I'm not sure if it would be effective against the supernatural.

Thinking back, when I was little there are a lot of things that I want to achieve in my life. I wanted to become a great scientist, a doctor, and an inventor, but as I grew older I found out the harsh reality that our society sets a limit on how far we can go.

Without a head start of being rich or powerful or the support of people around us, there's always a limit to how far we can achieve in life. If we dream too high, people will doubt us, but if we dream too low, people will spit on us as they wouldn't be contented with our choices.

They would say a lot of things about us. Until we reach a point in our life where we say the things that they wanted to hear from us. The things that they knew were possible to achieve.

They don't want to hear something great coming from us, because they knew that it was impossible or there was only a little chance to achieve it because they themselves know that they cannot do it but it doesn't mean that we can't. And how are we going to progress as a society if even at a young age, they were conditioning our minds that our dreams would stay as dreams?

Technology has indeed become a powerful tool on modern earth but it also creates a lot of people who wouldn't use it for good.

This is just one of the reasons why I don't have a lot of good memories on earth. My perception of life has changed several times from childhood to adulthood.

When I was little, everything was colorful and bright. My happiness is really simple at this stage. It might be a gift, a toy, or just having a new friend to play with.

When did it change? And what is the cause of the change?

Do I even need to answer this?

I know for a fact that we all have our own reason for the changes that happen to us at the different stages of our lives, but for me, it's because our sociological society has become stagnant.

Despite the advancement of our technology, everything in our life becomes a cycle that never ends. But in order for us to progress we must break this cycle. But the question is how, and that my friend is a thing that I can't answer as even me doesn't have an Idea on how to do it.

Actually, as an earthling, I have a lot of depressive thoughts in my mind. I can tell that at some point in my life, I deem it as worthless. In a situation where I don't feel anything is important in life anymore as I lose interest in many things that I loved to do.

And then I found it.

The reason for me to continue living started with a simple story and I didn't even know that a new door would open for me, a world where everything is possible in the world of literature.

It has become my hobby to read starting from simple stories to novels.

Other people might think that it seems naïve, but there are a lot of moral lessons hidden in every story.

Lessons that we could learn from. It might not be an academic lesson, but it might achieve a philosophical or inner peace within us since most of the lesson that we could learn is related to life.

I don't need to be someone who is great at everything. At some point in my life, Inner peace is the only thing I wanted to obtain.

As no amount of wealth could ever compete with it. But there are drawbacks because if everyone on earth achieved the so-called inner peace, our society would crumble as it stagnated every progress we made in our society.

Every one of us would be contented with what we have in life. No one would have any more great aspirations in life to achieve something great.

People who achieve inner peace are often people who experience the lowest point of their life instead of ending everything by suicide, they just accepted everything and decide to find peace within themselves. 

Novels have brought excitement to my life especially those isekai novels, and they go into an adventure into different worlds has given me the joy and resolve to move forward.

Every time that the main characters in the novels encounter difficulties in their lives, I always wonder what if I were in their situation, what kind of decision should I make.

Would there be a different ending? or would I be able to finish the story with a happy ending?

No one really knows the answer, but one thing is for sure, I would do everything to achieve what I want.

I meant this is already a second chance in life and I would have the advantage of having wisdom from earth.

There's no reason for me to continue living an ordinary life in this world.

If there's only one thing that I noticed why most of the protagonists have difficulties with living in their world, it's because they associate themselves with women.

No matter what kind of adventure they do, they would encounter a damsel in distress or a powerful lady who bosses everyone else.

And like magic, the man who thinks before doing anything would fall in love or, if not, gradually fall in love.

Even if they don't have the intention of associating themselves with them a special occasion would always occur and it would force them to be together and, in the end, enemies would appear one after another.

With this lesson in mind, I swear upon my grave that if I die and I was given a second chance to live in another world, I would avoid women as much as possible, especially during my puberty or childhood. As the female child is always the worst since they have the most cliche plot.

Going back to the story of my life I did everything to survive on earth and live my life ordinarily, but then an accident happened that brought me into this world.

I work for a big corporation as one of their ordinary office workers. I don't have a lot of friends, but I have my own small circle of people who all share the same interests though we don't interact much.

Then one day a new employee pops up. This is normal, to begin with, but all of my co-workers are talking about the newbie.

The new hire is a female and a complete bombshell. Even my friend, who doesn't have any interest in real human females is also fascinated and talks about her all the time which surprises me.

I know that I have my own principle in life and that is to avoid associating with women. Mostly beautiful women who would suddenly show up in your life if I don't want trouble to look for me. Especially women like her we're not on the same level at all.

I was supposed to take the elevator that day, but due to unknown circumstances, all of them are under maintenance and can't be used for an hour, so I have no choice but to use the stairs.

It was already past an hour after work and I always stay late at the company for an hour or so to use the free amenities on the 8th floor, so I didn't expect to encounter anyone especially the new hire on the stairs.

While walking down the stairs, I heard a loud voice of a woman who seemed to be arguing with someone.

As I continued my descent, I saw the newbie with a man who looked like they were fighting. So I decided to pass by them and ignore everything since it didn't seem to be serious enough for me to intervene, but this newbie dares to approach me on her own.

And have the guts to use me as a shield against this man who looks eager to fight someone.

"Senior, please help me, my ex-boyfriend, is harassing me." She said, with tears swelling up from her eyes.

I just want to go home and enjoy my free time and I want this to be quick and over so I decided to help her just this time and become a good Samaritan.

"Hey bro listen, if you want to speak with her, do it properly. Don't force yourself on her, you look pathetic." I said while looking at him with eyes full of pity.

My communication skills are okay, but it doesn't mean that I'm good at dealing with this kind of problem.

Besides, I'm not afraid of him, because why not? I can run and call the security in the building if I need to.

However, I didn't expect that he would immediately resolve it with a fist.

I didn't even hear any sound from him aside from a grunt of anger.

And out of reflex, I managed to evade all of his punches but the newbie decided to mediate between us to try and stop the fight even if she knew that she could be hurt by doing it.

As far as I know, no woman has managed to stop a fight between two men without harming the other, especially if the other one thinks that his pride and ego are on the line, which is obviously not me.

She spread her arms and pushed both of us away from each other but due to my heightened alertness against the other men.

I failed to notice that I'm now literally on the edge of my death.

One step back, and that's all it took me to lose my life as I fell from the stairs.

I felt that my body had suddenly become light. Before I crashed into the hard floor. I can even hear my bones breaking like twigs from the impact. With one last piece of thought left in my mind that women are truly the source of disaster.

As I lay on the floor in my dying state one thing suddenly came to my mind and that is I'm finally gonna get my peace. But it didn't happen. Just look at me I might be alive but it also comes with a lot of trouble.

But remembering this memory of why I died on earth only destroys my mood. I instantly lost all my will to reminisce about my past and instead, I decided to think ahead about the steps that I need to take, for me to have a comfortable life in this world.

40