Chapter 6
1.5k 14 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6

Florentine city might be at the border of the enchanted forest but monsters rarely roam our place. Aside from this, the city itself also has a high wall that surrounds the entire city and it has a small population of more than 4000 people. Yeah, just imagine it like the city in the attack of titans but on a smaller scale. 

All the residents in this city are the descendants of the servants and soldiers who came along with our ancestors when they first move and establish the city. It was known that during the peak of its power, Florentine city had a boasting population of more than 10000.

When the city was first established we could still consider our family as a powerful force in the kingdom and still have a lot of influence. But due to far the location of the city and the negative disposition of many noble families against us, the city has continuously declined to this day. This is the reason why we rarely received visitors aside from a few merchants and travelers. Sometimes, merchants will visit us twice or four times a year, depending on the demands they need from us.

From this, I can also say that you can even consider our city as an independent kingdom, although we don't really talk about it to anyone because of the problem that we might face with the accusation of mutiny.

I also read that the city was named after a flower. That might be the reason why it sounds feminine, even though it was led by a man since its establishment. The book goes like this- there's a flower here in this city that solely blooms in this place.

It's called Florentia, a flower that has five petals with a mix of colors. It was very rare and could only be cultivated within this land.

This flower was the city's symbol which the city was named after.

I don't know if it's because of me not being accustomed to the new language or if it's just the literal translation, but I felt like there was something weird about this passage.

Anyway, Florentia is known for its beauty during the night of its bloom, where the tip of its stamens shines with a dim glow of light.

Every time this flower blooms, the whole city would be covered by its smell of the intoxicating aroma of fresh grassy fragrance with a slight hint of sweetness.

Our city is surrounded by such flowers but people need edible crops that can feed the populace not flowers like this.

But even so, this flower grows almost everywhere even at the entrance of the enchanted forest, but for some unknown reason, no flower will germinate outside our territory.

Most of the common diets in this era are fish that was caught from the lake and sea and ordinary meat from animals in the forest. We have an abundant supply of it, while vegetables and some fruits are grown on a few plots of land, while wheat and bran are one of the basic crops that feed the population, and meat from magic beast is considered a luxury.

As you can only buy it from the market at an exorbitant price or you grow it yourself on a farm or hunt it in the forest.

Stew, boiled, and grilled, This is the most common way to cook food in this era, while frying isn't popular yet, since oil is expensive and hard to come by. Because for some unknown reason, animals of this world doesn't have that much fat on their body. Making it harder to collect oil.

Bread is also a staple food but can be divided into two categories. The bread that was served for the nobility and a normal bread that was hard as a brick for the common people.

The bread that was served at a noble's house was baked by their own cook. It has a soft texture and is tastier compared to the other ones. Which is the normal bread that you could even use as a weapon, and in order to eat this bread, you must soak it first, with water or soup to soften it because if you don't. It could even break your teeth upon biting it.

While thinking of bread, I suddenly remember something from my past life. I immediately pulled the string that was connected to a bell to call out the attention of anyone of our attendants.

A few moments passed by and the door to my room opened as Melissa came in.

"You called me Young Master?"

"Yes, I want you to ask Michael to accompany me outside. I want to explore the city." I eagerly said while fixing my clothes.

Michael is one of the knights that worked under my father and was responsible for my safety.

"Also prepare the carriage, I will take a stroll outside." I added before Melissa leaves my room.

I decided to venture out into the city to see the current situation of our people and also to explore the periphery of the enchanted forest.

Melissa quickly walked outside my room and despite her old age, she walked really fast. That was unexpected.

Michael arrived shortly after that.

"Did you call for me, Master Lucas?" asked by Michael as he comes in.

Despite his young age of 16 years old, Michael is an official Junior knight and one of this body's Idol and friends.

Michael is also known for his golden hair, sharp jawline, pointy nose, and sharp blue eyes covered by his silver armor.

And I can assure you that everyone would be blinded when they try to look at him, as his armor shines greatly under the sun.

He was tall for his age and staring up at his face strained my neck.

Nevertheless, this golden knight is a good friend of mine.

Michael is quite bizarre for me as he gave off this vibe of a refreshing aura that can attract bees and butterflies.

Anyone who meets him would have a good impression of him regardless of their gender.

"Yes, I plan to go outside to check the situation inside the territory and at the same time, explore the edge of the enchanted forest."

I don't know why, but I felt like the temperature have suddenly gone up. I felt ashamed looking at his face.

I can't really understand how such a human exists in this world.

I thought my new look is already perfect, but damn, if looks could kill this knight would be slaying it, particularly on modern earth.

"It's spring now and monsters will likely roam the depths of the enchanted forest when food is most abundant. Therefore, I can only allow you to explore the edge of the forest. We might see some small monsters but fear not, as for they are harmless against me." He valiantly said as he put his hand on his chest to salute.

"That's good to hear, then I might also have the chance to observe some of the creatures living inside the enchanted forest," I said as I go out of my room.

Authors note: This is a bonus side-story alongside this chapter but it doesn't affect the main storyline.

Meanwhile, in a certain corner of the room, Melissa the head maid watched the whole thing unfold in front of her and now had a troubled expression on her face.

Melissa's POV.

I was outside the room cleaning and talking with the others when the bell connected to the young master's place suddenly rung.

I immediately went inside his room to ask if he needed anything.

"You called me young master?" I said.

"Yes, I want you to ask Michael to accompany me outside. I want to explore the city." He said while seriously looking at some documents.

I was about to go outside when he issued another order.

"Also, prepare the carriage, I will take a stroll outside." He said as I immediately followed his order but I had hidden worries in my heart.

Every time Master Lucas talked to Michael, I couldn't avoid the feeling that he was too enthusiastic and happy, contrary to the way he talked with his father.

This got me thinking that our young lord might have taken a liking to our golden knight.

I know that the young master already expressed that he only admires Michael for being a gallant knight, but I still can't help myself questioning the reason why they want to go to the edge of the enchanted forest, a place where people rarely go.

As I went back to Master Lucas room with Michael in tow, I stepped aside, waiting for more instructions as I listen to their conversation.

Michael immediately asked the reason why he was called, which Master Lucas answered with a very normal tone, but he couldn't hide from me how his ears turned red.

I don't really want to go into details, but there are only a few people who can have a normal conversation with Michael without having any abnormal reaction.

Even I sometimes need to avoid his gaze as it affects my thinking.

Michael answered him "It's spring now and monsters will likely roam the depths of the enchanted forest when food is most abundant. Therefore, I can only allow you to explore the edge of the forest. We might see some small monsters but fear not as for they are harmless against me."

This is a very normal response as a knight that was assigned to protect our young master, he won't allow him to go into danger, but I also have my own little secret.

It started when I accidentally saw those stories that were forbidden everywhere, but some maids in nobles' houses have this copy that serves as our little secret in our little organization and those copies are books about forbidden love between men.

Yes, it's weird and widely frown upon, but what can I do?

I personally think the story behind them is more romantic compared to a normal relationships.

Oh, how awesome it is to read those stories.

You might wonder how is it possible for us to know how to read.

It's because every noble house must hire an educated servant.

It's a tradition in this land and I don't know where it even began but this is a strict requirement.

Hiring someone who doesn't know how to read is an insult to their family name.

Such educated people also have their own privilege in looking for a new job.

That's why hidden organizations were formed by groups of servants like me and they always exist in every place; a group for noblemen, noblewomen, and merchants.

I've been working in this family for 25 years now and at the age of 45, I have already seen and heard a lot of things in regard to different relationship scandals in this kingdom.

There is no such thing as a secret in our organization when it comes to issues about men's romance, but we don't have proof and all we have is gossip we got from different places and from other servants as well.

I know that it's wrong to think about this, but I can't help it, forbidden love is a unique form of love. From the time that I first read about it the forbidden door has opened its path to me.

I watched them as they walked outside the room, I looked at them with a troubled expression on my face.

Thinking if I should talk about this with Master Hubert.

I don't know what he would feel, but since I don't have any evidence to prove myself, I just gave up.

I mean all of this is just my presumption.

I take one last glance at their back as they vanish from my sight.

I'm too old for this I might just enjoy my life.

With this thought, I left the room with peace of mind.

Authors note again:

Okay, that's all. This is a side story and I just want to put it together with the official story but don't let it confuse you since this is all just inside Melissa's mind.

The goal here is to build up her character not just put her in my story to be a simple mob.

45