Chapter 12 – The real cooked shrimp!
184 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arranging my clothes, which were in disarray from the previous collision with the housekeeping maid, and the creases caused by unceremoniously sprinting all the way till the central tower, where my parent's chambers are located.

Central tower compared to my eastern tower, and the knight’s western tower was incredibly austere. The furnishings were all spartan and functional.

The wood used was, of course, still the local heartwood whose importance to the county cannot be measured.

After all, the Draykes land was a frontier city and, worst of all, a frontier city at peace!

The supply of adventures, mercenaries, craftsmen, etc would have dried up long ago - had the heartwood forest not existed.

In the heartwood forest, legend says that many ferocious beasts exist. Including a flight of Dragons.

Actual living breathing dragons!

That was why the city was founded where it was and called Draconis City by the house of Drayke.

Legend also says it's because our founder, Sir Drayke himself, found many lovers among the wild dragons. A legend that we try to encourage... and then discouraged.

Because, after all, being born of a dragon is a mighty thing. But also, being born of a dragon is an embarrassing thing, since humanity seems to be the dominant race right now.

Quite a conundrum, really.

Irrespective, it’s been many, many centuries since a dragon has been part of the House of Drayke and now all we have is diluted bloodlines, which nonetheless renders us as the most formidable warriors in the Kingdom of Leon.

Warriors who would break rather than bend.

Knocking on my parent's chamber door, I sniffed with anticipation for while the furnishings might be spartan, the food that we Drayke’s eat is delectable!

Nodding friendlily at Frizelda, my mother’s attendant, I walked inside to find Lady Alina Drayke, my mother seated on a stool in front of an easel that already had the skeleton of a dragon taking shape on it.

With bold strokes of black ink, she deftly weaved the image into existence, line by line, spot by spot.

I’m not a very artsy person, but even I could appreciate the will underlying my mother’s paintbrush.

While I was in a daze, looking at the painting, my mother turned around with a brilliant smile and walked over before whacking my head with a petite hand.

“Your stomach growls were so loud that you completely spoiled my flow, you scamp!”

Holding my head with an aggrieved look on my face, I asked her, “Is this how you treat a sick patient?!”

“What sick patient, you’re as ruddy as a bull and you look like you can eat one too!” She said with a laugh.

“Come, your father should be coming at any moment. Let’s go join him.”

Saying so, she swept out of the room with me and Frizelda trailing behind her.

Did I tell you that the people on Protos are big? Like freakishly big?

No?

Yes?

Doesn’t matter. I’m going to tell you that again.

Because climbing onto these chairs meant for my father and his company to sit in is torturous!

I feel like I'm a few months old again, trying to climb onto my father's knee.

Oof.

Finally, I’m on the Baling chair.

Now where’s the food?

Looking around expectantly, I was crestfallen to see nothing around.

Looking at Mother with a wronged expression on my face, I asked, “Why is Father not here yet?”

Laughing, Mother replied, “He’ll be here soon enough. Have a bite of the fruits first to whet your appetite. Frizelda, if you may please.”

“Of course, my lady.”

Frizelda soon took over the dishes that were covered in the corner of the dining room before bringing them in front of my plate where before she could even blink, the whole contents of the fruit plate had landed on my plate.

Magic.

What a marvelous thing it is.

Twang.

A fork landed on the table right in between my fingers as I was about to perform the same magic on the plate of meats.

Meekly turning my attention back to the fruits, I morosely popped one at a time in a manner befitting a gentle boy.

At this moment, the sound of heavily armored footsteps came, and the door opened.

In strode my father, a grim look on his face, followed by a man I have never seen before.

Pulling up short, Father was obviously surprised to see me there before he broke into a gentle smile.

Coming near and ruffling my hair, he rumbled, “You’ve woken up! I heard what you’ve been up to from Leonidas. Rare to see him talk about anyone the way he’s talked about you. Don’t go letting it puff your head up though, or I’ll poke a hole in it before anyone else does!”

“Hehehe, Yes Father. Since when have you known my head being puffed up? Only my face gets thicker!” I snickered.

Looking past him at the other man, I made an inquisitive expression.

Looking at him, my father hesitated for a moment, but then the man inclined his head and spoke. “My name is James. A pleasure to meet you, young Faustus.”

Bowing to him in return, I was about to rise when I suddenly froze and said, “You’re the one who was standing near the tapestries during Aaron’s accolade!”

“You noticed me?” He asked, startled.

“I almost didn’t, but right now when I bowed, I saw your boots and I remembered,” I said, honestly.

“But why do you remember my boots?” He asked, puzzled.

“It’s of a style I have never seen before. Very lightweight looking and it absorbs all the light, just like back then when I saw you.” I explained.

“Formidable! Your son is more formidable than what you’ve been telling me, Callum!” He exclaimed.

Scratching his head, my father gave a lopsided, proud smile.

Meanwhile, I was stupefied, for I’ve barely heard anyone address my father as Callum in my entire life.

Perhaps only my Mother and granny who passed away shortly after I was born could call him that.

Who was this man? James, I’ve never heard of any James…

Puzzled, I was about to ask when I noticed the men had already seated themselves and the food was being served again.

Throwing all thoughts away about Sir James, for he was a knight for sure, I started salivating ravenously.

Digging in, I was oblivious to all conversation and only came to my senses once my Mother had excused herself and had dragged me off the chair and out of the room.

Giving an apologetic smile to Father and Sir James - whose jaw was hanging open - I waved and vanished beyond the doors.

Shaking her head and rubbing her eyes, Lady Drayke asked, “Faustus, is something wrong with you?”

“What do you mean? I was just hungry and you know how I get when I’m hungry, right?”

“No, I mean, you’re as red as the cooked shrimp you were eating.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, puzzled.

Gesturing to the mirror, she said, “See for yourself.”

Going in front, I reeled in horror, for I saw a red-cooked shrimp looking back at me. Blinking carefully, I realized I was swelling up and turning a deeper shade of red every moment.

Quickly taking out the bottle, I tossed it to Mother and asked her, “Sir Leonidas gave me this. What do I do now?”

Looking at the bottle and sucking in a breath, Lady Drayke tossed the bottle back and said gravely, “Run to where he is. Now.”

So I ran.

I left behind my mother, who was thinking deeply and whispering softly to herself, “seems I’ll have to open the treasury seeing that he gave such a precious medicine to my boy. Huh, no matter what happens, the Draykes will protect you, Leonidas. But if you dare harm a hair of my child or Sia, then don’t blame me for…”

I started a discord channel! I'm a noob but please do join!

4